2v2 with Destro Lock... questions

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Gringoloco

Gringoloco
  • Members

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:44 AM

I'm rather new at playing ret in arenas so I have a couple of questions.

Playing 2v2 with a friend of mine who's a try-hard destro lock and I'm wondering if mastery or stats buff would be best for us. He says he benefits a ton from the mastery buff and of course I get something out of it as well, but is it worth losing the 5% STR which helps me in multiple facets?

Question 2 - Trying to figure out best gemming method for this comp but also something that would work out once I start playing 3s as well. Is it still the "right" thing to do to take haste as primary stat after STR and then either choose mastery or crit as the 3rd option? If so, would you think mastery or crit would be better for this? I was going to go STR>Haste>Mastery but if we run with mastery buff would it be better to stack further on top of that or go with crit for better heals/judgements... then again its 2s so our games shouldn't be prolonged where I'm kiting a ton right?

Any general tips on ret 2v2 gameplay would also be appreciated, so far I'm enjoying this class/spec!

Edit: one more thing, If I don't have the conquest pts for a second weapon or the season total points to get the tryannical weapon chain, should I go with dancing steel or living steel weapon chain? I bought the weapon chain but now I'm having second guesses since the majority of teams we play wont have a disarm (because most teams include huntards).

#2 Gringoloco

Gringoloco
  • Members

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:32 AM

nobody has any input they'd like to share huh? :(

#3 Gringoloco

Gringoloco
  • Members

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:45 AM

edit: double posted for some reason

#4 originalret

originalret
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Barthilas
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Retribution 1/0/0/2/0/0
  • RBG: 1851
  • LocationAus

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:37 AM

the difference of 5% stat vs 4k mastery is somewhat marginal for us, but its a huge difference for some other classes. i usually run with mastery for my partners benefit.

Vanguards covers stat weights rather well in his guide, however some more in-depth considerations are made in the comments.
http://www.arenajunk...n-pvp-guide-53/
In short, the above mentions mastery is a more consistent stat versus the RNG of crit. Ret has never performed well with RNG mechanics so i would suggest avoiding it.

alternatively you can refer to Elitist Jerks for the gritty math behind stat weights.

until you are in a position where you can run with multiple weapons, use the dancing steel enchant. disarm can be removed with trinket, bubble or HoP, and we are not completely helpless when disarmed. Having said that, once you are in a position to have multiple weapons you should always have a spare with chain in your bags for warrior/monk/rogue comps, and don't be afraid to swap weps mid-fight after the disarms have been used.

#5 Katzuko

Katzuko
  • Members

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:00 AM

Heya! I play both a ret and a lock, so i'll try to give you some input.

Regarding the buffs, you should be buffing mastery as it benefits your partner alot more than stats, and on top of that mastery and stats are close to equally good for you as well.

You should be running str>haste>mastery/crit, as haste lowers both the cd and global cd of judgement, crusader strike and hammer of wrath, which basically grants more holy power, which again grants more damage/ heals. This is for both 2s and 3s (and 5s ofc)

I would just run with dancing steel until the tyrannical enchant, as i rarely get disarmed. When you get to higher rating you're mostly gonna face healer/ hunter, feral, dk, mage teams anyway

#6 originalret

originalret
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Barthilas
  • Bloodlust
  • LocationAus

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:34 AM

I've run with a lock before also, so as some general tips i can suggest the following:

- Destro locks need to build embers before they can nuke a target with you. occasionally you may need to wait for your lock buddy to build them before unleashing on something. retburst accompanied with 2 chaos bolts will kill pretty much anything.
- Hand of Protection is capable of removing physical debuffs, this includes physical CC including basically everything a warrior or rogue does, physical stuns such as leg sweep, and disarm mechanics (except possibly for shad priest disarm, never tested that one). remember this if your lock buddy gets shockwaved mid-recklessness. Its barring of physical abilities will also cause no downside for a destro warlock.
- PORTALS! they are the beez kneez, even for us rets, they are perfect for bailing from a sticky situation.
- While your lock is placing a portal, occasionally the enemy will try to rush in and initiate before he has an opportunity to get it down. If you are facing a physical team, putting HoP on a lock who is mid-cast on portal will NOT interrupt the cast, and prevent a physical interruption.
- devotion aura's silence wiper will be infinitely more useful for your lock buddy than yourself. save it for when he is silenced, not yourself.
- you can expect to get trained pretty hard in most arena matches. it is up to your warlock buddy to spam peels on you during an opener (except against DK's and warriors due to fear immunity, use a glyphed blinding light (lock dots = non-glyphed useless, unless he focuses 1) + HOJ for that)
- lock cookies used while wings are up benefit from the extra 20% heals. only adds 4% hp to the heal, but makes a difference when macro'd with flash heal or WoG
- Curse of the Elements is a nice boost to our damage as well as the locks. always use wings burst on the Elements target.

#7 lanayax

lanayax
  • Members

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:53 PM

get a real class mroon

#8 Voidbringer

Voidbringer
  • Members

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:08 PM

So you say you created an account on the 30th of August, decided to enter almost every recent Retri thread and post a series of dumb one sentence lines. The cherry on top was that you also managed to pull off a misspell on "moron".

I think I speak on behalf of everyone here when I say: Welcome and we are all looking forward to the wisdom and not at all failed attempts at trolling that you will undoubtedly share with our community.

30 August 2013 - 05:54 PM
ur retard

In Topic: Sanctity of Battle

30 August 2013 - 05:53 PM
terrible

Sorry, your post must be at least 2 word(s) long.

In Topic: 2v2 with Destro Lock... questions

get a real class mroon

In Topic: Judgement no longer generates holy power?For ret and prot

30 August 2013 - 05:52 PM
wazza pazza boo
In Topic: 5.4: The return of blood fear?

paladin  needs this buff shut up u morons u don t understand
"There is nothing so uncommon as common sense"

#9 originalret

originalret
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Barthilas
  • Bloodlust
  • LocationAus

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:08 AM

View PostVoidbringer, on 01 September 2013 - 02:08 PM, said:

So you say you created an account on the 30th of August, decided to enter almost every recent Retri thread and post a series of dumb one sentence lines. The cherry on top was that you also managed to pull off a misspell on "moron".

I think I speak on behalf of everyone here when I say: Welcome and we are all looking forward to the wisdom and not at all failed attempts at trolling that you will undoubtedly share with our community.

30 August 2013 - 05:54 PM
ur retard

In Topic: Sanctity of Battle

terrible

Sorry, your post must be at least 2 word(s) long.

In Topic: 2v2 with Destro Lock... questions

get a real class mroon

In Topic: Judgement no longer generates holy power?For ret and prot

wazza pazza boo
In Topic: 5.4: The return of blood fear?

paladin  needs this buff shut up u morons u don t understand

Oh good, i thought i was the only one noticing a strange trend with 1 liners from a minimal-content account. I've already reported 1 of his posts, might need to find the others are see if its required there as well.
getting a bit off-topic from the OP, sorry bout that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<