Anything but frost bomb feels awkward

mage bombs frost mage playstyle arena

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 insides

insides
  • Members

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:46 AM

I'm relatively new to frost mage, and I played frostbomb from the start. Whenever I use nether or living, I just feel weird and unsure of how to actually play. How do you setup burst without f-bomb?

To me it feels like I lose the synergy of the frost spec when I play with the other bombs. Timing the detonation of frost bomb with a pet freeze or deep, etc. Do you ever cast anything while playing nether / living, except maybe frostbolts into deep?

#2 Crawthz

Crawthz
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Frost 0/0/0/2/1/0
  • 2v2: 1982
  • 3v3: 2412
  • 5v5: 287
  • RBG: 2258
  • LocationFinland

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:52 AM

View Postinsides, on 06 July 2013 - 10:46 AM, said:

I'm relatively new to frost mage, and I played frostbomb from the start. Whenever I use nether or living, I just feel weird and unsure of how to actually play. How do you setup burst without f-bomb?

To me it feels like I lose the synergy of the frost spec when I play with the other bombs. Timing the detonation of frost bomb with a pet freeze or deep, etc. Do you ever cast anything while playing nether / living, except maybe frostbolts into deep?

Doesn't it bother you that your burst is negated by dispel every time you get Frostbomb up? After you've juked every single interrupt and ministun etc out of the game.

Your burst with LB and NT comes with Shatters and FFB procs. Orb + Deep + Shatter is strong and alot easier to set up without Frostbomb. I usually use my globals when playing without Frostbomb to juking dispel/pummels/ministuns and setting up the damage into later burst with Deep Shatters.
www.twitch.tv/crawthz - Gladiator Frostmage stream, please follow!

#3 insides

insides
  • Members

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:01 AM

Good points, and I see the logic behind it. It's probably just a matter of getting used to. But even with the dispels and less mobility, it's just somehow more fun with frostbomb. ( Perhaps because I play at 1700-ish rating ^^)

#4 Crawthz

Crawthz
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Frost 0/0/0/2/1/0
  • 2v2: 1982
  • 3v3: 2412
  • 5v5: 287
  • RBG: 2258
  • LocationFinland

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:02 AM

View Postinsides, on 06 July 2013 - 11:01 AM, said:

Good points, and I see the logic behind it. It's probably just a matter of getting used to. But even with the dispels and less mobility, it's just somehow more fun with frostbomb. ( Perhaps because I play at 1700-ish rating ^^)

It is more fun, way more fun! It is just way too easy to stop your damage with Frostbomb so it becomes extremely frustrating to play.
www.twitch.tv/crawthz - Gladiator Frostmage stream, please follow!

#5 Deadscumlord

Deadscumlord
  • Drjakethomas
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Frost 0/2/0/2/0/2
  • RBG: 1954

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:12 AM

View PostCrawthz, on 06 July 2013 - 11:02 AM, said:

It is more fun, way more fun! It is just way too easy to stop your damage with Frostbomb so it becomes extremely frustrating to play.

My homie Crawthz used the perfect word to describe Frost Bomb "frustrating"  and it is.  It's a frustrating mechanic due to the fact it is so hard to get off and have stick.

If you do manage to land one then usually your gunna have to use deep and CS with it to even get it to stick.

It's a very predictable burst, but you do see the OPness of it when you set it up perfectly, because at some point a team will be outta CDs and this can easily lead to globaling someone. But you also have to remember you may have a harder time forcing CDs  if you don't have a great setup on every big Frostbomb burst.

#6 insides

insides
  • Members

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:18 AM

Yeah. Perhaps at lower levels of play, where people tunnel-vision more and dispels and cc's often won't come at the ideal times, frostbomb is stronger.

#7 Numbtoes

Numbtoes
  • Junkies
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Feral

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:26 AM

I decided to play frostbomb against an ele/feral/priest team. I regretted that decision immediately. As people have said before , burst without frost bomb still comes from shatters, but mostly relies on landing good orbs. The damage from living bomb on frozen targets is pretty good too. Frost bomb is a lot more fun to play thought, and I have started using it against almost everything except teams with dk's or rogues. The interupts matched with the double dipping of haste debuffs on frost bomb is too much. Oh also melee cleaves with a shaman healer.

#8 insides

insides
  • Members

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:39 AM

View PostNumbtoes, on 06 July 2013 - 11:26 AM, said:

I decided to play frostbomb against an ele/feral/priest team. I regretted that decision immediately. As people have said before , burst without frost bomb still comes from shatters, but mostly relies on landing good orbs. The damage from living bomb on frozen targets is pretty good too. Frost bomb is a lot more fun to play thought, and I have started using it against almost everything except teams with dk's or rogues. The interupts matched with the double dipping of haste debuffs on frost bomb is too much. Oh also melee cleaves with a shaman healer.
Makes sense. Frost armor + stacking full haste wouldn't help? On the other hand, I guess that's more for the living / nether setup.

#9 Numbtoes

Numbtoes
  • Junkies
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Feral

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:42 AM

View Postinsides, on 06 July 2013 - 11:39 AM, said:

Makes sense. Frost armor + stacking full haste wouldn't help? On the other hand, I guess that's more for the living / nether setup.
I go full haste, but that is just because of preference. Frost armor is almost never worth the defensive utility you get form molten/mage with glyph of armors. I still fun full haste when I go frostbomb though.

#10 insides

insides
  • Members

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:49 AM

Really? I never thought a frost mage would run molten even with the dmg reduction. With flameglow or the barrier?

#11 Deadscumlord

Deadscumlord
  • Drjakethomas
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Frost 0/2/0/2/0/2
  • RBG: 1954

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:10 PM

View Postinsides, on 06 July 2013 - 11:49 AM, said:

Really? I never thought a frost mage would run molten even with the dmg reduction. With flameglow or the barrier?

Dude against any melee team that is focusing you down it is imperative to run Glyph of Armors and Molten Armor.

• Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Ravencrest
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Fire 0/2/1/1/1/0
  • 2v2: 2055
  • 3v3: 2436

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:32 PM

in order for frostbomb to be viable again,they need to make it undispellable .
Inb4 omgwtfutalkingabout?

#13 Contrololold

Contrololold
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Restoration 1/0/2/1/1/0
  • RBG: 192

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:27 PM

Good one
twitch.tv/xrags  -- streaming boomkin PoV:  dk/boom/rsham, mage/boom/rsham, rogue/boom/rsham, etc.

Sometimes resto / Mistweaver

#14 kannetixx

kannetixx
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Fire
  • RBG: 768
  • LocationFlorida yee

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:54 AM

i always find it funny when you play frostbomb against teams and get 2-3 up .. then you juke the teams dispel and just apply it and they are like uhhhhhh ?
US-Kel'Thuzad - Kannetix

http://www.anook.com/kannetix

www.twitch.tv/kannetix - Gladiator Mage Stream follow me and see when i go live!

#15 hyponikz

hyponikz
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Frost 0/0/0/2/1/2

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:17 PM

View PostCrawthz, on 06 July 2013 - 10:52 AM, said:

Doesn't it bother you that your burst is negated by dispel every time you get Frostbomb up? After you've juked every single interrupt and ministun etc out of the game.

lol'd at "ministun"

OP, just have to get used to it.  When I first came back to MoP I refused to play LB even though I knew it was better because I didn't like "the feel."  Switched soon after and now I love it...also increased by damage significantly in 3s.
  hyponikzbebe/hyponikzbbjr/torquishaxo
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<