#1 Phizx

Phizx
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Area 52
  • Retaliation
  • Talents: Affliction 0/2/1/2/0/1

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:43 PM

Ok, lets get into the topic. Now that mastery for frost mages, in my opinion, received a huge nerf, there arises a question(s) and im sure I'm not the only mage concerned about this... Ok, first things first, Temporal Shield vs Frost Barrier.

I've always been a fan of temp shield, I even thought it surpassed barrier in the current patch. Now, however, they're buffing temp shield and leaving frost barrier in the dust. I mean, I dont see a reason anyone would be taking frost barrier over temp shield with the baked in barkskin it now provides (also being on a 25 sec cooldown). I can definitely agree with this buff as mages get torn up by a majority of classes. So my question to you, junkies, should they be buffing Frost Barrier? Or even flameglow? Lemme know what you think.

On to the next and most important changes reguarding Mage's frost mastery.
Nether Tempest vs Living Bomb vs What seems like the non existant Frost Bomb.

Ok, so here is my main concern with the changes taking place in 5.4. Who in the right mind is gonna pick frost bomb now? Unless, of course, im missing something. Dont get me wrong, Im a huge fan of frost bomb, but even with the 10% damage increase, it seems its gonna be so much less relevant. Besides, nobody wants to hard cast nowadays. Now that the mastery focuses on FoF and brain freeze procs, Nether Tempest seems to be the dominant choice with Living Bomb in a close second. Again, these are just my thoughts, opinions and speculation.

So what do you guys think?
Is frost bomb gonna be washed up or still be viable?

#2 Nokilolz

Nokilolz
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Shadow 0/2/0/1/2/.

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:57 PM

ice barrier sucks.

#3 catdaddy

catdaddy
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Marksmanship 1/1/1/0/0/0
  • 2v2: 1948
  • 3v3: 2066
  • RBG: 2369
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:47 PM

View PostNokilolz, on 01 July 2013 - 06:57 PM, said:

ice barrier sucks.

• Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Fire 0/2/2/2/1/2
  • RBG: 2573

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:52 PM

removal of mastery is's effect is to stop set up kills, forcing us to play sustainable damage?

mages went from lead class to support and even worse?, cant test it on arenas right now since ptr arenas r down.

but i feel like mages are not even going to be able to do any damage anymore, the playstyle is drasticly changed from doing almost no dmg outside of orb+cds+deep into being kind of a hunter auto attack playstyle( do sustainable damage but no big burst)

but thats just what i think, does not mean anyone else agrees with me but however i just dont think the mastery is where to nerf

Also temp shield is great, but vs i still like the barrier, it should be buffed abit tbh but we will see

Edited by Zerlog, 01 July 2013 - 07:53 PM.

#5 Pritchard

Pritchard
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Frost 0/2/0/2/0/0

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:57 PM

holinka tweeted that they were going to make more changes to the frost mage mastery

#6 Spinmove

Spinmove

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:37 PM

They nerfed Ice Barrier and Flameglow without giving us any other defensive buffs which lead a lot of Mages to try Temporal Shield. The thing with Temporal Shield is if you don't use it at the exact right time, you really gain no benefit from it. Also, you can sometimes still be killed through the 40k+ ticking heals you're getting (which you could probably make the same case for the other defensives, but that's my point). The added effect of damage reduction was definitely needed... now they just need to revert the Flameglow and Ice Barrier nerfs while also making Ice Barrier undispellable or dispel resistant (though this mechanic is crap).

As far as bombs go, I think Living Bomb will end up being ahead based on the comp you play. Nether Tempest allows for mass dotting while LB is more limited (3 targets) but it doesn't break CC as NT does. I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, that Living Bomb does and will continue to come out ahead as far as DPS goes. I consistently get ticks for over 17k (crit) which allows for more damage within a burst opportunity.

I'd like to wait and see what they do to our mastery and the rest of our abilities from here on out. Hopefully things head in the right direction so I can continue to play and enjoy PvPing.
Posted Image

#7 freshfreefly

freshfreefly
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Frost 0/0/0/2/1/2
  • 2v2: 1504
  • 3v3: 2421
  • 5v5: 960
  • RBG: 960
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:47 PM

I would like to know if you guys are planning to bind frostbolt? And, when you're bursting somebody and you run out of procs, ice lance would not have the 25%+46% more damage, so is it even worth still casting lances into your deep, or should we be doing something else, spam slows for instance, to get more procs?

lance/ffb will do more damage than frostbolt, right?

View PostDillypoo, on 03 August 2014 - 09:44 PM, said:

GUYS GUYS GUYS IM RUNNING IN I GOT A FEAR OFF THAT!!! Oh wait Tremor... OK OK OK Guys I got another full fear off that!!! Aw shit nimble, OK GUYS GUYS GUYS I SWEAR I HAVE A FULL FEAR! Fuck nevermind... Will. OK OK OK NOW THIS FEAR IS FULL!!! Shit he has tremor back up omg... OK OK OK NOW I HAVE A FULL FEAR ITS FULL KILL KILL Oh whoops... prep tremor... Damnit, I got a full fear this time!!! Oh... he trinketed it... next one should be full... FULL FEAR!!! He has nimble back up WTF.

#8 Ollebabz

Ollebabz
  • Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Fire 1/0/0/1/1/.
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:58 PM

Am i the only mage who wont even discuss this? If these changes go through, i simply refuse to play frost mage. Not that i like the current playstyle.. Ever since MoP came out I've absolutly despiced the new mage playstyle, but this is just to much. Mages might have been really good in MoP, but oh dear god they've been boring.

#9 fant0m8

fant0m8
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Eredar
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Marksmanship

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:05 AM

Why do you even want Ice Barrier to be good? Temporal Shield is a much cooler ability with a higher skill cap.
Bye again! This game isn't fun when you don't know anyone else that still plays.

#10 stalebagel

stalebagel
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Frost 0/0/0/2/0/2
  • 2v2: 192
  • 3v3: 2091

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:59 AM

View PostOllebabz, on 01 July 2013 - 09:58 PM, said:

Am i the only mage who wont even discuss this? If these changes go through, i simply refuse to play frost mage. Not that i like the current playstyle.. Ever since MoP came out I've absolutly despiced the new mage playstyle, but this is just to much. Mages might have been really good in MoP, but oh dear god they've been boring.

I'm curious as to how MoP playstyle is any worse than cata mage playstyle, please do elaborate. Frostbomb shatter requires infinitely more skill than the retard proof icelance spam that was cataclysm.
www.twitch.tv/wowser8

#11 Phizx

Phizx
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Area 52
  • Retaliation
  • Talents: Affliction 0/2/1/2/0/1

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:47 AM

View Postfant0m8, on 02 July 2013 - 12:05 AM, said:

Why do you even want Ice Barrier to be good? Temporal Shield is a much cooler ability with a higher skill cap.
Im aware, I said i prefer temporal shield anyway. As far as why i want ice barrier to be good, I just think i should have another choice in that tree besides temp shield. Not to say that it's a bad thing, I just think they need to buff it in some form, it just doesn't even compare rn.

#12 postmortem

postmortem
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Discipline 1/2/0/1/2/0
  • RBG: 576
  • Locationon a horse

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:10 AM

hi hi
Love gauging your ears ? Need some bad ass wooden plugs for your goal size ? Want a good deal on said plugs? Well then goto omericaorganic.com for their hand made wooden plugs with amazing detailed designs and for the good deal part when making your purchase use this coupon code Cptplugs for 20% off your entire first purchase and also they have a custom plug page if you want one of a kind wooden plugs that you thought of ! They'll put your awesome idea to wood , or you can browse their already thought up awesome ideas ! Happy pluggin !

Posted Image

season 8 in a nutshell

#13 Deadscumlord

Deadscumlord
  • Drjakethomas
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Frost 0/2/0/2/0/2
  • RBG: 1954

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:11 AM

ohh here comes a hunter talking about skill cap   lawl  jk you play BM

#14 Dagin

Dagin
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Lightninghoof
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Beast Mastery 1/0/0/2/1/0
  • RBG: 2049
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:12 AM

View PostChristymarie, on 02 July 2013 - 04:11 AM, said:

ohh here comes a hunter talking about skill cap   lawl  jk you play BM

you are an idiot.
Signature removed
"Too Big"- Nerd Vexo
Sorry guys too big
Dale
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=m-gVxKrzb4g
Posted Image

#15 deprivelol

deprivelol

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:16 AM

mage mastery change sucks

#16 Deadscumlord

Deadscumlord
  • Drjakethomas
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Frost 0/2/0/2/0/2
  • RBG: 1954

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:21 AM

View PostDagin, on 02 July 2013 - 04:12 AM, said:

you are an idiot.

Ohh no. Out from the bushes jumps a Butt hurt hunter.

All upset cause i said BM takes no skill.

The fact you actually take offense to BM being called low skill cap makes you pathetic and me sick.

Edited by Christymarie, 02 July 2013 - 06:30 AM.

#17 Pritchard

Pritchard
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Frost 0/2/0/2/0/0

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:56 AM

as much as I love temp shield, and have grown accustom to it, Ice barrier is an iconic frost ability, whereas temp shield is more arcane/flameglow fire.  Me personally I don't really like the design they have gotten into where spec specific things are talents.  Playing with living bomb and temp shield as a FROST mage just feels wrong to me.

Temp shield has an amazing skill cap, but also in the current game, even with a temp shield ticking on you for 80k its still very possible to have to block through the heals, or even die,  damage avoidance definitely has its place in the game, but not with a measly 50k shield that gets dispelled or one hit.  I don't know how to buff it, as I don't like things being undispellable, but I don't know, with the state the game is in with 100 offensive dispels, that might be the only way to make it worth taking.

#18 Numbtoes

Numbtoes
  • Junkies
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Feral

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:27 AM

View Posthairpiece, on 02 July 2013 - 06:56 AM, said:

as much as I love temp shield, and have grown accustom to it, Ice barrier is an iconic frost ability, whereas temp shield is more arcane/flameglow fire.  Me personally I don't really like the design they have gotten into where spec specific things are talents.  Playing with living bomb and temp shield as a FROST mage just feels wrong to me.

Temp shield has an amazing skill cap, but also in the current game, even with a temp shield ticking on you for 80k its still very possible to have to block through the heals, or even die,  damage avoidance definitely has its place in the game, but not with a measly 50k shield that gets dispelled or one hit.  I don't know how to buff it, as I don't like things being undispellable, but I don't know, with the state the game is in with 100 offensive dispels, that might be the only way to make it worth taking.
The only way I could see it being useful without buffing the absorb amount(which is a shitty 53k in arenas) is by making shattered barrier baseline for the talent. Then it might have some uses vs melee cleaves.

Classes like hunters have a really easy time doing damage once they get a silencing/scatter shot out. Since damage is easy to get out and really hard to stop, the old mage playstyle of being tanky through the avoidance of taking any damage is gone. This goes for mage v mage arenas and most other classes as well(Via instant procs and what not, not just a hunter problem). I can't really think of any spec besides maybe a destro lock that actually has to work hard to get damage out. Mages just blanket cs and start pumping out 60k procs and hunters silencing/scatter and have huge instant damage.

I went off-topic a, but what I'm saying is that the way the game is  right now, frost barrier is either going to be dogshit or overpowered; and you can't really stop damage by being elusive anymore.

#19 Tuxer

Tuxer
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Frost 0/2/0/2/1/2
  • 2v2: 2201
  • 3v3: 2131

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:46 PM

If this change went through frost mage would be significantly worse than spriests, warlocks, and ele shamans.
Soul Brother #2
I am the reincarnation of Yeezus
http://www.twitch.tv/TuxerTV
#420dank

#20 Dagin

Dagin
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Lightninghoof
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Beast Mastery 1/0/0/2/1/0
  • RBG: 2049
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:22 PM

View PostChristymarie, on 02 July 2013 - 06:21 AM, said:

Ohh no. Out from the bushes jumps a Butt hurt hunter.

All upset cause i said BM takes no skill.

The fact you actually take offense to BM being called low skill cap makes you pathetic and me sick.

I don't even have to explain anything to anyone you do all that for me.
Signature removed
"Too Big"- Nerd Vexo
Sorry guys too big
Dale
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=m-gVxKrzb4g
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mage 5.4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<