Other than well known players using wws as their alts or a handful of people playing them at high ratings on terrible battlegroups, they don’t seem to be well represented at the top end of arena. Statistically, they are also at the bottom overall. You could say this is due to them being the new class a player has to level from lvl 1, however in this day and age when everyone has a little help from their friends to level up, I don’t think it’s a valid reason for their lack of representation.
So what might make them uncompetitive? I think it’s mostly the following headings to varying degrees, but I’d like to hear others’ opinions of what the reasons are:
No on demand burst – using your class’s 3 minute burst dps cd a few seconds after the gates open in arena is the hallmark of MoP so without something like this wws seem really lacking. However, there are other pressure classes like locks & dks who I would say are more competitive than monks, although their pressure is spread and they don’t have some of the other weaknesses of wws.
Damage reduction – like mages in a way, monks are meant to avoid damage rather than tank it. However unlike mages and other melees, ww monks have no active or passive damage avoidance/mitigation in stuns (flameglow, blink, blood presence, second wind & d stance, divine protection, sham rage, barkskin). They can recover with their bananas self healing after the stun but this is kind of pointless when you always die in one. I think rogues have the same problem but without the self healing to help.
Synergies – a lot of ppl feel monks don’t particularly synergise well with any other class, at least not to the extent that the other classes they usually play with do. Outside of 3s they are great but in 3v3 arena where team utility and real synergy is game breaking they just don’t seem to measure up. Additionally, a lot of their utility is provided by other classes except just in a better way (e.g. paralysis vs. cyclone).
Vulnerability to current overlord class – I know there isn’t any class that doesn’t suffer from all the hunters around in arena but, combined with their other weaknesses, wws are particularly vulnerable to hunters. Everyone knows hunter and feral mechanics counter mages hence their reduced presence in ladders and I would say that hunters are the one class wws have problems dealing with at a mechanical level. (This doesn’t seem as important as the other points though)
So what kind of solutions would be good? These are just some I’ve seen suggested. Would like to hear other opinions as well:
- Xuen grants 10 - 20 stacks of tiger-eye (would probably screw up pve)
- Access to ox stance with 10%/15% damage reduction or bake this into tiger stance
- Paralysis is always 6 secs with 25 - 30 yd range, maybe increase cd to 20 secs
- Dematerialize for ww monks with 30 – 60 sec cd – nimble brew removed
- Roll & FSK granting immunity to ccs during their duration – already challenging having to aim, roll jump to modify distance rolled, and being extremely vulnerable to latency when using these spells so this would be really nice
- Spinning Fire blossom not using up chi until you successfully hit your target – its great having a skillshot ability but it might be too punishing atm, especially considering it used to be the way I’d want it changed to but was at some point secretly & unofficially nerfed to what it is now
- Should roll be cancellable like FSK or do people like the unofficial skill cap of roll jumping?
(TLDR: no serious high rated monks on competitive bgs / Monks need: on demand burst, active or passive dmg reduction [esp. in stuns] / better synergies / not to be so weak against hunters, compared to other classes / so: buff Xuen, give ox stance, make paralysis more like cyclone, give longer cd dematerialize / random QoL stuff not interesting for non-monks)