#1 Rtf

Rtf
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Discipline 0/0/1/1/2/1

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:23 AM

Can anyone explain to me why Holy priests aren't more popular?

Their damage is superior to Disc thanks to Chakra: Chastise.

They have a lot more instant heals; Holy word serenity + Circle of healing along with PW:S, Divine star, PoM and a VERY powerful renew.

Their casting FoL twice gives a 1.4s Greater heal.

Their CDs are more potent; Lightwell and Divine hymn being amazing vs pressure teams and guardian angel countering ANY offensive cd.

Seriously, someone explain this to me!

#2 Naxsis

Naxsis
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Ravencrest
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Restoration 0/2/0/1/0/0
  • 2v2: 2217
  • 3v3: 2608

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:26 AM

cus as disc you spirit shell your amazing skilled hunter cleave, they run in and kill someone dont need to use cds...
also as disc with penance while moving you can los a lot more, basicly dont have to cast unless aura mastery
lf 3s on alt healers, got everything but monk..monk incoming naxsis#2507

#3 dionim

dionim
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Discipline 1/0/1/1/1/1
  • RBG: 768

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:39 AM

Holy is 10 times more funnier than disc man, omg im loving holy!

#4 Rtf

Rtf
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:41 AM

Oh yes spirit shell... well GG Holy :(

And with disc not having to cast. Go play it, you cast a lot. As holy you cast maybe once every 10s max and thats only to abuse the 25% crit off HW:Ser

#5 Bullylol

Bullylol
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Twisting Nether
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Shadow 1/2/2/2/2/1
  • RBG: 1681

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:42 AM

Holy is/has picked up steam in 2's for some of the reasons you have mentioned.

Damage - in 2's this is more relevant as against dps/heal you are in a position more often (sometimes even required) to help DPS - as such the chastice chakra helps in this scenario. In 3's where (typically) you are invited to heal more and have 2x dps, the damge is not as important/relevant and sometimes trickier to get out (or the fractional increase is not all that vital).

Healing - the shields being a diference, not having to shield 2 others means that the CD is much less relevant, opposed to the spammable shields in 3's. Being able to blunt assaults opposed to react to them (I.e shield before damage, opposed to heal when damage is applied) is quite handy. Holy has better AOE potential for sure.

Penance for me is a game changer as it does allow me to LOS siliences and cc that much more.

#6 Rtf

Rtf
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:12 AM

Holy is/has picked up steam in 2's for some of the reasons you have mentioned.

Damage - in 2's this is more relevant as against dps/heal you are in a position more often (sometimes even required) to help DPS - as such the chastice chakra helps in this scenario. In 3's where (typically) you are invited to heal more and have 2x dps, the damge is not as important/relevant and sometimes trickier to get out (or the fractional increase is not all that vital).

Healing - the shields being a diference, not having to shield 2 others means that the CD is much less relevant, opposed to the spammable shields in 3's. Being able to blunt assaults opposed to react to them (I.e shield before damage, opposed to heal when damage is applied) is quite handy. Holy has better AOE potential for sure.

Penance for me is a game changer as it does allow me to LOS siliences and cc that much more.

PW:S is only 25% less effective as Holy. Except you also get renew which ticks for 20k (yes 20k) Lightwell, which with the glyph, is fucking amazing. If you have renew, lightwell and Sanctuary up, I don't think its possible to actually die... that only with all the instant heals and HoT mastery, the amount of casting you actually have to do is tiny.

#7 Forumz

Forumz
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Argent Dawn
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • Talents: Shadow 2/1/1/1/./.
  • 2v2: 2728
  • 3v3: 2279
  • 5v5: 96

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:20 AM

The main downside to holy is the mana regen and, as some have stated before me, penance allowing you to consistantly heal someone while out of LoS or even out of range. (you can do the same with divine hymn as holy but it's on a long cooldown)

Also GS has the annoying tendency to simply not work if you use it really late. On top of that it's basically useless against any DK team because of necrotics.

But it's not too bad. I played it around the 2.2k mark and I barely had to cast anything. The amount of instants is really high and also makes Holy slightly better than Disc when facing a DK.
Posted Image

#8 dionim

dionim
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:31 PM

lightwell is really bad actually, Holy would be at the same level as disc if it had a aura mastery!
but is 10x times funnier, changing "stances" when you want damage or cc or heals!

#9 Rtf

Rtf
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:16 PM

Lightwell, bad? You joking me? Get the Lightspring glyph, it does like 17% of your heals if you position it right.

Also, you can pop in to Chakra: Sanctuary throw down HW:Sanc, toss out a PoM then go back into Chakra: Serenity and the cd of your HW:Ser is reset!

#10 Mindsmoothie

Mindsmoothie
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Spirestone
  • Reckoning
  • Talents: Retribution 1/0/1/2/0/0
  • 2v2: 2378
  • 3v3: 2718
  • RBG: 2329

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:50 PM

Ive been playing holy for a while and it does have some major downsides. The first and most important I think is that guardian spirit will sometimes just not work at all, and im not talking about putting it on somebody at 1% and it not working because of lag. Ive had guardian spirit on people for a solid 5 seconds with no necrotic strike and they will just die through it without it sacrificing itself at all, very frustrating. The mana regen is inferior to disc so you will need more spirit to compensate. Lightspring is very map dependent I find too, on small maps like dalaran, blades edge and ruins its quite good but on big maps I kinda wish you could move it around, it can also be killed and cant be healed. Holy is better against spread pressure and chastise is amazing for landing fears. I think holy is viable not quite as good as disc because of spirit shell but very close and holy is about 10x's funner to play.

#11 Rtf

Rtf
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:56 PM

Ive been playing holy for a while and it does have some major downsides. The first and most important I think is that guardian spirit will sometimes just not work at all, and im not talking about putting it on somebody at 1% and it not working because of lag. Ive had guardian spirit on people for a solid 5 seconds with no necrotic strike and they will just die through it without it sacrificing itself at all, very frustrating. The mana regen is inferior to disc so you will need more spirit to compensate. Lightspring is very map dependent I find too, on small maps like dalaran, blades edge and ruins its quite good but on big maps I kinda wish you could move it around, it can also be killed and cant be healed. Holy is better against spread pressure and chastise is amazing for landing fears. I think holy is viable not quite as good as disc because of spirit shell but very close and holy is about 10x's funner to play.

Yeah I definately noticed the mana issues but if you use renew effectively and only rarely use PW:S you can keep up with enemy healers because of the extra CC you can land.

Haven't had guardian spirit not work before though. I'll have to keep an eye out for that.

#12 Colroyd

Colroyd
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Al'Akir
  • Blackout
  • Talents: Windwalker 1/2/1/2/0/1

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:07 PM

Haven't had guardian spirit not work before though. I'll have to keep an eye out for that.

Yeah, it happens all the time. You should be using guardian almost only for the increased healing, not to save someone from dying. It's worth noting though that it always procs on yourself, the bug only occurs on other players.

I've been playing holy priest fairly high since wotlk, so I wrote this guide a few days ago if anyone's interested: http://eu.battle.net...opic/7702200496.

#13 Rtf

Rtf
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:16 PM

I'll definitely check that out now man. Thanks.

#14 dionim

dionim
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:16 PM

They kill my lightwell everytime i use it, im using the glyph but i still dont think is strong enough for a 3min cd

#15 Djandawg

Djandawg
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Genjuros
  • Raserei / Frenzy
  • Talents: Shadow

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:08 PM

Why holy isn't as popular? Because it's not even close,

Edited by Djandawg, 26 June 2013 - 05:25 PM.

#16 Eveny

Eveny
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Shadow 1/0/0/1/2/1
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:27 PM

i want divine hymn back as disc, fucking blizzard...
also, holy nova please.
If you have problems understanding my post, don't assume something and hit the reply button but read it again.

#17 Rtf

Rtf
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:18 PM

Why holy isn't as popular? Because it's not even close,

Have you played it?

#18 Djandawg

Djandawg
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Genjuros
  • Raserei / Frenzy
  • Talents: Shadow

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:05 PM

I did.
Guardian angel randomly doesn't work, lightwell gets killed every game, you go oom way faster than disc, chakra stun is nice, except in most disc comps you already fear after a partner's cc, so you don't necessarily need it, without spirit shell, you are nerfing yourself in rushdown comp vs rushdown comp matchups, not having aura mastery is big too, and better damage? usually there are close to no globals to dps, in this current state of the game, and I think 8.5k instead of 7.1k is irrelevant. It usually works for a few games because it's something "new", people figure it out eventually.
Again it's somewhat fun to play because it's different and disc playstyle has been made unbelievably boring comparing to previous expansions due to loss/nerf of almost all offensive abilities even though it does amazing on the ladder. But I find it also boring after 50 games, and it's not even remotely powerful as discipline.
It works because a) it takes a few games for people to start exploiting it since it's an unusual spec, b ) as priest, you are currently compatible with broken dps classes, so you play the game with the skill / outcome contribution of a wotlk holy paladin and they win the game for you as the class has been dumbed down so much.

Edited by Djandawg, 25 July 2013 - 01:28 AM.

#19 RaTz3r

RaTz3r
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Blackrock
  • Glutsturm / Emberstorm
  • Talents: Subtlety 1/1/0/0/././.

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:56 PM

loosing inner focus makes me rly sad, the rest ist absolutly great, awesome heal, decent dmg and better cc

but spirit shell and inner focus makes the difference for me

#20 RaTz3r

RaTz3r
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Blackrock
  • Glutsturm / Emberstorm
  • Talents: Subtlety 1/1/0/0/././.

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:46 PM

edit:

I see everyone playing holy now?! :D fusionn, save, hydra in 2s and so on.. hm

0 user(s) are reading this topic