How to Walk with the Wind (6.0.3)

Races Glyphs Talents Gemming Reforging and Professions Class Synergy and Addons Macros

• Please log in to reply
247 replies to this topic

#1 BalanceRexxar

BalanceRexxar
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Thorium Brotherhood
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Mistweaver 1/0/1/1/0/1/.
  • 2v2: 2735
  • 3v3: 3041
  • 5v5: 768
  • RBG: 768

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:29 AM

POPULAR

Posted Image

I will not read any private messages off of Arenajunkies, if you need to message me, do so by commenting on this guide and I will read and respond to it.

Note: After WoD releases I will update the sections in blue that I am unable to update right now.

WoD) What's New What's Gone?
0.0) Additional Help UPDATED
1.0) Introduction UPDATED
1.1) Streaming UPDATED
1.2) Abilities UPDATED
1.3) Races UPDATED
1.4) Glyphs UPDATED
1.5) Talents UPDATED

1.6) Gemming & Enchanting
1.7) Void
1.8) Professions UPDATED
1.9) Armories UPDATED
2.0) Keybindings UPDATED

2.1) Class Synergy
2.2) Monk Comps
2.3) Macros UPDATED
2.4) Addons UPDATED
2.5) Monk Streams UPDATED

2.6) Rated Battlegrounds
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Out with the old. In with the new.

In

• Transcendence & Transcendence Transfer are now instant cast.
  • Touch of Karma is off the global cooldowns.
  • Touch of Karma only absorbs up to 50% of your maximum HP.
  • 3 New Talents - Info on these can be found under the talents section.
  • At level 100 we now have a capacity of 5 Chi.
  • While Energizing Brew is active our Multistrike chance is increased by 15%.
  • You now roll 25% faster.
  • Our two castable buffs are combined into one now.
  • We passively grant our party 10% movement speed increase and 5% multistrike.
  • Storm, Earth, and Fire has no energy cost and is off the GCD.
  • Chi Brew now has a 1 minute cooldown up from 45 seconds.
  • The 2 set bonus of the Primal reduces the energy cost of Jab by 35 for 3 seconds.
  • The 4 set bonus of the Primal gear increases the duration of Tigereye Brew by 7 seconds.
  • Surging Mist has replaced Healing Spheres, it costs 30 energy and has a 1.5 second cast time.
  • New Glyphs info can be found under the Glyph section.
  • Dampen Harm is now a viable PvP talent which can be read about in the talent section.
  • Ascension is a runner up with Chi Brew and can be read about in the talent section.

Out

• Grapple Weapon has been removed.
  • Spinning Fire Blossom has been removed.
  • Zen Meditation no longer redirect spells cast on party members to you. Disable is now refreshed when you attack a target with it instead of being refreshed if within vicinity.
  • The glove bonus that removes snares when you Roll or Flying Serpent Kick isn't on the level 100 gear.
  • Fists of Fury is not increased by 5 yards on the level 100 gear.
  • Fists of Fury only has a chance to stun a target on their first tick received, if it is parried or dodged there isn't another chance for it to stun them.
  • Healing Spheres are gone.
  • Sparring is gone.
  • Spear Hand Strike no longer silences the target for 2 seconds if facing their front.
  • Jab now costs 45 energy up from 40.
  • Touch of Death no longer requires a set bonus to be used on players.
  • Rushing Jade Wind is no longer the dominant level 90 talent and can be read about in the talent section.
  • Swift Reflexes has been removed.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted Image

If there is something I forgot to include in the guide or something I explained poorly feel free to whisper me in game and I'll answer your question, if I don't I'm either in a game and didn't see or afk, if I don't and you have to go you can just send a mail or try when I'm out or not afk.

Server: Thorium Brotherhood
Character Name: Balance
Posted Image

Hello there! My name is Steve, in game I am known as Balance, Steve, or Steven. I made this guide for Windwalker monks in 5.3 and 5.4, 5.4.7, and now 6.0! I will continue to update this guide as needed and as I am able to do so. My PvP history dates back to BC where I was a clicking feral druid at the age of 11. I clicked up to Cataclysm where I re-rolled Resto shaman and keybound things which lead to my greatest success of the expansion at a peak rating of 2000! Then MoP came around and I am now considered a "MoP Hero" so to speak.
S12 - Arenas with friends ranging from 2-2.2k MMR,

S13 - Ranked 10th in the Vengeance battlegroup playing WW, Ele, Disc and achieving the prestigious title of R1 Duelist.

S14 - Achieved my first gladiator title and my first R1 title playing WW, Shadow, Resto.

S15 - Achieved R1 on 3 different monks with a peak rating of 3041 mainly playing WW, Destro, Resto combined with some WW, Affl, Resto.

Here you can click on my character to be taken to it's armory.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I sometimes stream World PvP, RBGs, BGs, 2v2, 3v3, 5v5, and anything in between. You can follow me at twitch.tv/balancerexxar

Posted Image

Damaging Abilities:
Jab
Tiger Palm
Blackout Kick
Rising Sun Kick
​Fists of Fury
Expel Harm

​These are your primary damaging abilities. You use jab and expel harm to build Chi to use your other abilities. You use expel harm when you aren't at 100% HP or can't jab anything. You also need to keep Tiger Strikes buff up at all times. You need to use Rising Sun Kick off cooldown. Fists of Fury is situational, You may use it to peel or control. I often use it after a Leg Sweep or Ox Wave for damage and control. It can do a lot of damage when channeling with stacks of Tigereye Brew up. For an example of how to do the basic rotation, please refer to this quality video created by Blizzard themselves.

Control Abilities:

• Fists of Fury, ​Fists of Fury is also a high damage ability will stun any target on their first tick received, if dodged or parried it will not try to stun them again..
  • Leg Sweep, Charging Ox Wave, and Ring of Peace Leg Sweep and Charging Ox Wave are just stuns which is a control, Ring of Peace is a AoE incapacitate.
  • Paralysis, Paralysis is one of the best peeling abilities in the game, a ranged 4s incapacitate that can lock down classes during critical points in the game. It breaks on damage and only removes DoT effects with the glyph so be careful when using it.
  • Spear Hand Strike, Spear Hand Strike isn't just an interrupt but a tool to out think your enemy. If you can successfully predict what the other play will do or won't do, it can turn the game. For example, if you are training a healer and they begin to cast, don't just throw your kick out there because they will most likely try to juke you which will lead to them getting a heal. If you can wait until the second, third, or fourth fake cast and be able to immediately kick them, you've effectively locked them out for 4 seconds in attention to all the time they wasted attempting to juke. Another thing to note about kicking is focus kicking, if you see a healer nearby, try to Tiger's Lust and run over and kick them if they are standing still, when a healer stands still they are either about to cast or are mid-cast, this will give a great chance to successfully lock them out or pre-kick them. Not only is that effective but it makes you look super cool. :duckers:
  • Flying Serpent Kick, Flying Serpent Kick is an AoE 4 second 70% slow. It can be used to slow players. It is one of our high mobility cooldowns so use it wisely.
  • Disable, Disable is a spammable slow & root, it is similar to how Improved Hamstring used to work, if they are slowed already when you re-apply it it will root them, you can spam this slowing a lot of people for a long amount of time. When you melee a target with disable already on them, the duration is refreshed.
Misc. Abilities:
  • Fortifying Brew, this ability can be very useful, if you're facing a team with an execute you can use it to avoid that or just use it before taking large amounts of damage to reduce it, it's basically an Ironbark + a self Rallying Cry on a 3 minute cooldown. This ability combined with healthstone and expel harm can prevent you from having to use Karma or Diffuse magic a lot of the time.
  • Detox, I use this ability just about off CD against Death Knight teams to remove their diseases. I also use to to remove rogue poisons like Crippling Poison and Paralytic Poison before stacks are high enough to stun you. The best use of it it to remove Devouring Plague against priests who play Insanity effectively stopping a major part of their burst, another game changing use is to get Wyvern Sting off your teammates so they don't have to trinket.
  • Crackling Jade Lightning, this ability is mostly used for fun or to keep people from leaving combat to avoid re-stealths, drinks, etc. It also can get spell reflects from warriors.
  • Nimble Brew, It is crucial that if you play a Windwalker monk you have an "out" which is a way to get out of CC to be able to use Touch of Karma or Diffuse Magic. Rotating cooldowns between your trinket and Nimble brew should allow you to always have a way to karma.
  • Provoke, This is one of my favorite abilities. Most people see the taunt and think, "Oh it's just PvE." They couldn't be more wrong. Whenever I see a grounding totem down, I taunt. It is off the GCD, has no cost, and destroys it. It also keeps rogues in combat going for stealths or healers going for drinks. It also gets spell reflects and my favorite use for it is to taunt pets. Those pesky hunter pets see me taunt them and chase after me behind a pillar where I then fists of fury it to death. It can also be used to break yourself out of CC, similar to how a priest "deaths" traps, wyvern, or polymorphs, you can provoke a pet to break these CC's as well, but it can be difficult. I bolded this because it is the most underused ability by monks.
  • Storm, Earth, and Fire, this is another great ability. It has few purposes outside of PvE but it is in fact useful. The primary use to to stop drinks and re-stealths from healers and rogues. By the time a rogue or healer gets it off them it's been a good long while and the re-stealth probably never got off because we stopped them ourselves. Another use it for RBG's just throw them on random targets and start using Spinning Crane Kick or Rushing Jade Wind for decent AoE damage and fantastic flag spinning. Something to note is that if you get your Rising Sun Kick debuff on another target from your clone that extra 15% damage only applies to that clone and doesn't help your own damage.
  • Zen Meditation, This is a interesting ability. The mechanic that allowed spells from your team to be applied to you was removed so now it is purely a defensive ability. It can be used to prevent large hits such as Chaos Bolts, Starsurges, or other various hard hitting abilities. It can be used as a last resort if you have no other defensives, and it can be used to prevent you having to use a better cooldown that you would rather save for later.
  • Transcendence, this ability is pretty standard. Put it down behind a pillar at the start of a game. Sometimes you can reverse port back to get to a target if they are near it. Be sure if you're on Blade's Edge or Dalaran Sewers Arena to have this up before chasing after someone who jumps. Make sure to keep track and have this at whatever pillar the fight is taking place mid-game.
Posted Image

Based off my personal opinions, I will create a spectrum of what race is best for each faction. But it without a doubt, humans are the best race for WW out of both factions.

Horde: Blood Elf > Orc > Undead > Tauren > Troll

Alliance: Human > Dwarf > Night Elf > Gnome > Draenei

Humans: Human's racial is Every Man for Himself. This ability replaces the use of the commonly used Insignias purchased with conquest. This allows a new trinket to take place of the Insignia. That means you could have a Badge instead. It probably isn't worth using PvE trinkets because when you use two PvP trinkets you gain a significant amount of resilience. This means that you need to compare a 2nd PvP trinket to the other racials of the other races to determine what is better. The Human Spirit has been redesigned. It no longer increases spirit by 3% but instead increases two secondary stats by a varying amount. As of 10/21/2014 is has not been implemented.

Night Elves: You probably know this but if you don't it's important for you to know that if you use Shadowmeld the same time another ability hits you it acts as if that ability never hit. For example, if you Shadowmeld right as a mage finishes casting Polymorph it will act as if the mage never casted it on you. This is very good to prevent being Crowd Controlled (CC). There is also Quickness which can prove to be game breaking if you dodge something like a 6 second Kidney Shot while a teammate is very low, the odds are not in your favor but miracles do happen. It also slightly increases your movement speed by 2%. Your critical strike chance is increased by 1% during the day and your haste by 1% at night.

Orc: They have several racials that benefit the monk class. The second racial is Blood Fury, which is a nice damage bonus. The third is Command which is unknown if it affects Xuen or your clones via Storm, Earth, and Fire but if it does then it is a minor overall damage bonus but a bonus nonetheless. And the last racial is Hardiness which reduces stuns by 10%.

Undead: Will of the Forsaken is the reason why many people go Undead. But since fear isn't as powerful as it was in Mists of Pandaria, Undead don't rate that high on the "best race totem pole". They also have Shadow Resistance which is decent against classes like Warlocks, Death Knights, Priests, and Rogues (with Shadow Blades up). They also have Touch of the Grave for extra damage and healing throughout the game, which is minimal but it's something. And of course Cannibalize our favorite ability to disgrace your opponent after slaying them.

Blood Elf: Blood Elves racial is Arcane Torrent and an increased critical strike chance of 1%. Although this is all they provide, Arcane Torrent is a handy ability. Not only does it provide a 2s silence it gives you a free chi which can sometimes allow you to get another RSK, Blackout Kick, or Fists of Fury without having to Jab right before. With the removal of our silence on our kick and many other blanket silences in the game, Blood Elf ranks the #1 best horde race for WW monks if you can successfully use Arcane Torrent in an effective manner.

Dwarf: Stoneform allows you the remove all diseases, poisons, and now magic effects as well as giving you a 10% damage reduction bonus. So, if you are able to use this RIGHT before you get stunned and take a lot of damage it could save you. Dwarves critical strike bonus has been increased by 2%

Gnome: So with WoD, gnomes are now a viable race for WW because they are able to get out of roots every minute and have a passive haste bonus of 1%. Although they aren't better than humans, they aren't the worst either.
Posted Image

Glyphs in 5.4.7 are generally the same with very few expectations. Your go-to glyphs are italicized and the ones that can be useful are normal. Also, there is no way I can tell you what to pick against everything because this post would be massive so you need to take into account what you are playing and who you are facing to decide which glyphs to take.

Glyph of Touch of Death: This is a glyph that needs to be taken against every comp you face and play with. Being able to touch of death without using Chi is very important. A lot of times a target isn't under 10% for 1-2 globals so you really have one chance to get it off and if you have to jab or expel harm 1-2 times to get the chi they are probably dead or above 10% already. I recommend this glyph all of the time.

Glyph of Touch of Karma: Since Touch of Karma is our best defensive cooldown this glyph gives it a 20 yard range. This is extremely valuable seeing how without it you'd have to be in melee range to get it off and most of the time you need to get it off there is a slow on you and you can't get to the target. Even if there is double melee training you I recommend this glyph all of the time because of how essential it is to get it off exactly when you need it.

Glyph of Paralysis: This glyph allows you to safely paralysis a target without DoT effects breaking it. Depending on what comp you're playing you may or not need this.

Glyph of Flying Fists: This glyph allows your fists of fury to have a 5 yard range. Since it is no longer part of our PvP set bonus and FoF has become a more important part of our burst, it is crucial that we are able to land this on our target and this glyph makes that easier. It has the lowest priority of all the major glyphs because of how valuable the others are.

Glyph of Freedom Roll: This glyph is very good and I will use this quite often because when we acquire full Primal gear at level 100, our glove bonus will no longer provide this same effect that the glyph provides. Therefore, our personal way to get out of slows is once every 25 seconds with Tiger's Lust. Since we do not have a way to slow our targets from afar, it is crucial that we are able to reach our target after we roll or FSK and if we are slowed coming out of those it very well may be the case where we just continue to get kited. I would highly recommend using this against teams that have many slows and can kite easily.

Minor Glyphs:
Zen Flight: I've died a lot from falling so this is my savior. I have it bound to "U" just because it's somewhere I can get it but not super needed.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Tier 1 - Mobility
Celerity: This talent could potentially be used if desired. The only time it would be okay to use is if the other team has ZERO rooting abilities. This ability combined with Chi Torpedo could be very beneficial.

Tiger's Lust: This talent is used just about every game because it is rare to find a team that doesn't have a root. And even if they don't, it wouldn't be a bad thing because it can be used to allow teammates to kite or for you to catch up to a target that isn't moving in a linear path.

Momentum: NEVER USE.

Tier 2 - Healing
Chi Wave: This talent is my personal preference over the other two because I find that instant casts are always better in PvP situations. Although it does less damage than Chi Burst, it is half the cooldown and if you were to double the damage of it as if you had used it off cooldown twice, it would roughly be about the same as Chi Burst. I would recommend this all of the time but Chi Burst is NOT a bad choice at all unless you are trying to kill a very mobile target or are being trained.

Zen Sphere: NEVER USE.

Chi Burst: This talent is good in situations where you target isn't moving and you are not being attacked. It provides roughly two times more damage than Chi Wave but has twice the cooldown and has a cast time. The negatives is that if you try to use it on a moving target they can escape and if you try to use it you can be interrupted or suffer pushback increasing its cast time. You may use it at your own risk although I would not advise it.

Tier 3 - Chi
Power Strikes: NEVER USE.

Ascension: This talent is good because it allows faster energy regeneration and a free chi slot doesn't hurt. The problem with this is that at a start of a game where everyone has cooldowns up, your oppoents will be ready to go offensive a lot sooner than you can, but as a game progresses Ascension will become for valuable than Chi Brew.

Chi Brew: This talent is good because at the start of the game you are immediately ready to go offensive if you consume both stacks of Chi Brew. It also provides Chi which you can use when bursting if you already have 10 stacks and do not need any more before going offensive.

Tier 4 - Control
Charging Ox Wave: This talent is decent if you plan on using it for CC. Since you already have FoF, the diminishing returns of this small stun in unison with FoF make it less valuable. But it can prove quite useful if use as a ranged CC for targets you do not plan on stunning with FoF.

For an example of how to effectively use and land Charging Ox Wave, view this video.
Note: To land it you do NOT have to lead your shot.

Ring of Peace: NEVER USE.

Leg Sweep: This talent is the one you should use just about all the time because of how effective long stuns are. There isn't much to be said about this other than that you can FoF out of this for a combined stunlock of 7 seconds which can prove very lethal.

Tier 5 - Survival
Healing Elixirs:
This talent is useful when you are not facing opponents with the majority of their damage being magical. A good example of when to use this is against a composition similar to Ferals and Warriors.

Dampen Harm: This talent is useful when facing teammates with overpowered burst. Although I am not aware of any classes than possess the ability where Dampen Harm would be more beneficial over the other two options, it can be an option if the time for precaution ever presents itself.

Diffuse Magic: This talent is extremely useful and I find myself using this the most. I prefer this over Healing Elixirs a lot of the time because the thing about Healing Elixirs is that it doesn't always go off when you need it to, in other words, it isn't reliable. Diffuse Magic is, you can use it before you get stunned, when you are low, or any time you need it. I use this talent against just about any magical caster, an example would be Frost Mage, even if they are paired with a physical DPS I still use it. And it is an absolute against double magical DPS.

This tier requires you to decide what is best in your current situation and you need to judge what to take yourself. Good luck!

Tier 6 - Damage
Rushing Jade Wind:
This talent is good for RBG's because of its high damage in combination with Storm, Earth, and Fire. But at level 100, our energy regeneration is not quite high enough for it to be viable, therefore I would not recommend using this until late in the expansion when our haste (energy regeneration) percentage goes with as gear scales.

Invoke Xuen, the White Tiger: This talent is can be good and bad. The tiger can do a good amount of damage and help you land a kill or break CC and end up losing you the game. Take at your own risk.

Chi Torpedo: This talent is quite useful not only for its increased distance in Roll but for the damage and healing as well. The only thing to watch our for is not to break CC when rolling.

Tier 7 - Damage
Hurricane Strike: This talent can be used for very high single target burst over 2 seconds. Generally I only use this in 2v2 where I know pets or the other opponent won't interfere with its damage by standing nearby. I use this the same time I Leg Sweep to let the cooldowns line up. I wouldn't recommend this for 3v3 because of how easily the damage can be reduced on your kill target simply by having any nearby enemy take a large portion of that damage.

Chi Explosion: NEVER USE.

Chi Serenity: This talent can be used for a vast amount of damage over a longer period of time. I would highly recommend trying this in 3v3 because Hurricane Strike can easily be ruined by pets or other players being near your kill target. A downside to Serenity is that if you are CC'd during its duration you won't be able to use it again for another minute and a half. Another use for it is if you have no stacks and need to generate them very quickly you can use it and generate 6-10 stacks depending on how lucky you get with mastery procs. I would recommend this just about all the time.
Posted Image

There are no gem sockets on PvP Gear so you won't need to worry about that as far as enchants go here they are, also you stats priority should look something like this.

Versatility > Crit + Multistrike > Haste > Mastery

Neck: Multistrike

Cloak: Multistrike

Rings: Multistrike

Weapons: Mark of the Frostwolf

Posted Image

Professions are now unusable in Arenas and RBGs, therefore I would recommend Engineering because of how good it is in world PvP and for your other available profession, take whatever you like, I personally am going with Enchanting because of how much money it makes.

Posted Image

I know a lot of people want to know what the absolute best way to gear, reforge, gem, talent, glyph, professions, etc. without having to go through a huge guide like this so I made this category dedicated to monks who I believe to be educated on the class and know how to personalize their monk to make it as deadly as possible. Here they are...
(Note: Some may be out of date and I cannot account for accuracy their setup)

• Venfuki @ Tichondrius
  • Tornadotom @ The Forgotten Coast
  • Trilltko @ Moonrunner
  • Smexual @ Tichondrius
  • Voltariux @ Archimonde
  • Nauree @ Blackrock
  • and mine Balance @ Thorium Brotherhood
Posted Image

I know that everybody has their own personal keybindings and I understand that it isn't likely that anyone will change based on what I have to say here but I feel like it needs to be said.

My keybinds are bound in an effective way. I have each ability bound to a great bind that allows me to do a lot of things, get places, and pop cooldowns. I'll explain after you look at this picture.

Posted Image

This picture shows how all my damaging abilities are bound to my naga. This allows me to use my QWE keybinds to move and I use my right thumb to deal all my damage. The purpose of this allows me to hit all of my damaging keybinds while being able to keep up with my target by using my strafes and move forward binds. I feel like if I had those abilities on other keybinds I would have conflict with doing damage and moving.

I also have my mobility keybinds such as roll, tiger's lust, and flying serpent kick to keybinds close to my movement binds.
This allows me to keep moving accurately towards my target while using mobility keybinds so I don't end up rolling off to the side of them.

If you're new to monk try changing your keybinds to get to your mobility binds as quick as possible and have your damaging abilities not collide with being able to move.

But in the end do what is most comfortable and you'll have the most success.

Posted Image

UNAVAILABLE ATM

Posted Image

UNAVAILABLE ATM

Posted Image

Zen Meditation Macro

#showtooltip
/cast !Zen Meditation
  • I use this macro so if I spam my keybind for Zen Med it won't cancel the channel by mistake, that is what the "!" does.
Fortifying Brew + Healthstone Macro

#showtooltip Fortifying Brew
/cast Fortifying Brew
/use Healthstone
  • Although it is safe to macro healthstone into your fortifying brew, you should still have JUST the healthstone somewhere keybound by itself.
Tiger's Lust Macros  

#showtooltip
/cast [target=party1] Tiger's Lust

#showtooltip
/cast [target=party2] Tiger's Lust

#showtooltip
/cancelaura Stampeding Roar
/cancelaura Body and Soul
/canelaura angelic feather
/cast [target=Balance] Tiger's Lust
  • These are my party sprints and my self sprint, I also have just the spell bound to shift-Y for bg's and stuff but for arena this is what you should use. Also you can't Tiger's Lust yourself when Stampeding Roar or Body and Soul is on you so if you're rooted you need to cancel them to escape.
Hand of Protection Off Macro

/cancelaura Hand of Protection
  • Every melee class needs one of these.
Focus Paralysis

#showtooltip
/cast [target=focus] Paralysis
  • Just focus paralysis.
Focus Kick   

#showtooltip
/cancelaura Spinning Crane Kick
/cast [target=focus] Spear Hand Strike
  • Your basic focus kick with a cancel aura Spinning Crane Kick because in case let's say a priest Spectral Guises and you need to hit him out so you use SCK and he's out and starts to cast but you need to kick but you can't because of SCK, that's why the cancel aura is there.
Touch of Karma Macro   

#showtooltip
/stopcasting
/cancelaura Hand of Protection
/cast Touch of Karma
  • I died more often than I like to admit because I was spinning before I could karma (mostly on big mob pulls outside of arena) but it doesn't hurt to have it in arena. I also have cancel aura BoP on there because sometimes if you are facing a melee and caster and a paladin BoPs you, you are unable to karma and die to the caster.
Kick Macro  

#showtooltip
/cast Spear Hand Strike
  • Same thing as the focus one.
Old Paralysis Macro   

#showtooltip
/stopattack
/stopattack
/cast paralysis
/stopattack
/stopattack
  • I've been playing monk since they came out, I'm not 100% sure if you can still auto-attack after a paralysis but it used to happen, better safe than sorry.

Cancel-Aura Macro  

#showtooltip Storm, Earth, and Fire
/cancelaura Storm, Earth, and Fire
/cancelaura Rushing Jade Wind

/petmoveto
  • I'd rather have a separate macro to get rid of clones than waiting for global on actual ability. Also since RJW and Xuen are on the same tree you can either cancel RJW to not break CC or move Xuen so he doesn't break CC, perfectly fine to have both in one macro.
Party Dispel Macros

/cast [target=party1] Detox
/cast [target=party2] Detox
  • This is pretty important to avoid your team being owned by DK dots, Devouring Plague, Paralytic Poison, and Wyvern Sting.
Focus Storm, Earth, and Fire  

/cast [target=focus] Storm, Earth, and Fire
  • This macro allows you to throw a clone on your focus instead of having to target them just to throw a clone up.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted Image

Here are some extremely useful addons for WW monks.

ChiBar: This addon lets you have a chi bar that you can freely move around, make it bigger or smaller, vertical or horizontal, and many other options.

Nameplates Modifier: This basically adds a percentage to the default blizzard name plates. This is the most important macro WW monks can have because of how crucial it is to get Touch of Death off at the precise moment.

Posted Image

Everybody wants to see some WW monk PvP. Since that is hard to come by I'll link you to a couple of channels that may show some WW monk PvP, I can't guarantee that they will but here is where you might find some. I also put mine in there in case I ever stream.

www.twitch.tv/venruki

www.twitch.tv/TosanTribe
www.twitch.tv/naureez
www.twitch.tv/ssjwindgodx
www.twitch.tv/lightningww
www.twitch.tv/balancerexxar

Edited by BalanceRexxar, 07 December 2014 - 07:31 AM.

#2 BalanceRexxar

BalanceRexxar
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Thorium Brotherhood
  • Vengeance

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:29 AM

Posted Image

For my RBG experience, I hadn't had much until this season because up until this season my computer was unable to handle it, now I've played and enjoy RBG's at 2400+ rating gotten High Warlord and Hero of the Horde. Over the games I have made mistakes and learnt from those mistakes, I've learned the pros and cons of bringing a WW, and I've learned strategies that some have yet to implicate into their play.

I will go over each battleground, say the WW's main purpose and then add additional information that the monk should do specifically. But before I go into detail for each, many of them revolve around this same idea, I call it the FSK Strategy and it works like this...

Flying Serpent Kick until airborne -> press FSK again to land midair ->then receive Slow Fall or Levitate.

The reason behind doing it like this is because this is the only way to get it to work. If you have either Slow Fall or Levitate before you FSK, you will not receive the speed bonus granted by it. If you try to apply Slow Fall or Levitate while in the process of FSK it will say invalid target. Therefore, you must land midair to successfully be able to receive the buff and benefit from the speed increase.

Here is an example from my stream where I used this same strategy to be able to pick up the flag in EoTS before anyone could stop me, granted this was nerfed because the flag doesn't spawn for a few seconds after the game, the FSK Strategy itself has other purposes in different situations.

http://www.twitch.tv...exxar/c/4327587

(follow the stream)

Note: Rewinding and watching the first couple seconds will increase your understanding of how it all works.

If you look closely, this mage did and excellent job of getting Slow Fall applied instantly as I landed mid-air allowing me maximum distance from receiving the buff as early as possible, if you receive this effect too late you will lose altitude making it so you don't gain as much distance.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Warsong Gulch:

In this battleground there aren't too many things you are expected to do. Basically you go for kills in team fights or sit on healers, whichever is more effective, and make sure you are part of the team that goes for a kill on the EFC. Touch of Death is VERY good at taking out FC's because of how much health they have and how little damage they take. Also, try to refrain from picking up the flag because monks have little survivability with multiple classes attacking it. Rogues, Druids, Warriors, etc. are all better suited for flag carrying.

Tips:

• When in the flag rooms, if you are going from floor to floor make sure to take advantage of Transcendence. Not only does it allow you to move up and down floors instantly, in some situations if your teams FC dies and you happen to pick up the flag, you can easily escape by porting from the bottom floor to the middle floor and fly out the door.

• This next tip applies to only HORDE. If you happen to pick up the flag last minute (generally do not attempt to pick up the flag) and you have a mage or priest nearby, use the FSK Strategy from the top of the Alliance tunnel to quickly travel across the map. I have done this on multiple occasions and was able to get a quick cap because of it. It is a rare occasion but if you play monk long enough you're bound to do this successfully a number of times.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Twin Peaks:

In this battleground there aren't too many things you are expected to do. Basically you go for kills in team fights or sit on healers, whichever is more effective, and make sure you are part of the team that goes for a kill on the EFC. Touch of Death is VERY good at taking out FC's because of how much health they have and how little damage they take. Also, try to refrain from picking up the flag because monks have little survivability with multiple classes attacking it. Rogues, Druids, Warriors, etc. are all better suited for flag carrying.

Tips:

• If you happen to need to pick up the flag as a last resort to prevent the other team from capping, put Transcendence outside of the flag room so when you pick it up you can immediately port out of there so the enemies cannot kill you instantly.

• (Same as WSG) If you happen to be horde you can use the FSK Strategy to try to get a quick cap from the top of the Alliance ramp. Using this strategy normally takes you from the top of their ramp to the horde leaf hut. This has lead to many quick caps in years playing WW.

Eye of the Storm:

This is probably WW monks best map because of the opener. It is crucial you use the FSK Strategy on this map to stop the enemies from capping their own base by traveling their fast enough and stopping them. If you are Alliance, you need to go to Fel Reaver, if you are Horde, you need to go to Draenei Ruins. Note that if you are going to Draenei Ruins, when you land at the top of Blood Elf tower you will still have either Levitate or Slow Fall on you, with that you can roll off the edge with the buff which is faster than immediately mounting upon landing, once you land about halfway across the bridge, you will then mount up, have your target targeted, and use Storm, Earth, and Fire as soon as possible because it is our longest and quickest ranged damaging ability. Once you have successfully stopped them at either base, ask for assistance from a team member and try to hold them off as long as possible or cap the base. Once that part of the game is over you do your routine PvP player's job of either peeling off to assist a base, or going on kill targets, or killing healers. Monks are not very good at ninja capping so it will normally be better to let somebody else go and hope they are successful. But if you do the first part right, you should have a pretty big lead and be able to pull off a win.

Tips:

• If you are put on defense for some reason (you shouldn't be), and you are in a situation where you have to trinket but will probably get CC'd out of it, you will be able to use about 1 ability before getting CC'd again. This ability should be Storm, Earth, and Fire. This could allow you to stop them from capping while CC'd if they take too long to kill it. By that time you should be able to have help from a teammate and be able to successfully have defended the base.

Temple of Kotmogu:

This is one of my favorite battlegrounds. Your main job is to kill orb carriers by bursting them down with another DPS. Try to let your teammates pick up orbs while you prioritize killing the orb carriers. Should you be behind and must pick up an orb, what I have found successful is staying close to my team but in the middle with my Transcendence up and at the first sight of danger I port out to safety.

Silvershard Mines:

On this map you do not have a job that differentiates from any other class. Just play the objective, use your abilities correctly, and you'll have done everything you could as best you can. The only thing that you may be able to do is be the first and quickest one to peel out to a cart should it need assistance via Rolling or FSKing. High burst mobility is what makes monks valuable, use it to your best advantage.

Arathi Basin:

On this map you have a lot of options, you YOUR judgement and tell your team where you think you will be most effective, you know your class better than them and know what monks are capable of. At the start, you can either decide to go to Gold Mines and either cap it or win the 1v1 versus whoever they send. Monks are very good in 1v1 situations and there is a high chance of succeeding. You will then proceed to defend that base until events occur that make you do other things. The other option is to go to Lumber Mill and participate in the team fight where you kill the kill targets or sit on healers.

Tips:

• Remember to watch out of knockbacks, set your port close to the edge should you get knocked off, you can port back up before you out range your port.

• If you cap LM you can either receive Slow Fall or Levitate and roll to Blacksmith or use the FSK Strategy to go from LM to Mines within seconds.

Battle for Gilneas:

On this map your best bet is just to particpate in team fights, kill the kill targets or sit on healers.

Tips:

• Once again, monks are valuable for their high burst mobility, take advantage of this and be the first one to help your teammate should they ask for it.

Deepwind Gorge:

I have the least experience in this battleground out of all of them, a lot of people don't even know how to win this battleground. Basically you do the same job as you've done in all your other battlegrounds, peel off to ones that need help, kill the kill targets, harass healers. If you need to pick up a cart don't be afraid to do so, it isn't as important as flag carrying is in FC maps so it isn't as important that you be the best class to be the one carrying it. Other than that this isn't a very special battleground and is my least favorite.

Random Tips:
  • When defending put your Transcendence on the flag and stay max range of your port so you can't be sap capped.
  • DO NOT SIT ON THE FLAG THINKING YOU CAN SPAM RUSHING JADE WIND AND HIT ENEMIES WHILE CC'D. IT IS VERY EASY FOR THEM TO TIME THEIR CC RIGHT AS IT ENDS AND FORCE YOUR TRINKET OFF SOMETHING THEY SHOULDN'T. I have made this mistake once and have never made it again.
  • Stay away from ledges so you do not get knocked off.
  • Storm, Earth, and Fire is VERY valuable, it should be your first global when you leave CC.
  • Diffuse Magic is probably best for most RBG's, exceptions would be when you plan to 1v1 at Gold Mines in AB and Deepwind Gorge because of its size and you are often spread from a healer, in these situations you should take Healing Elixirs.

#3 augiddin

augiddin
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Turalyon
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Windwalker 1/0/2/2/0/0
  • 2v2: 1724
  • 3v3: 2352
  • 5v5: 1152
  • RBG: 1915

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:49 AM

Handy tip is you can macro cancel auras into fof because generally it will be a better bind and as long as you are holding a movement key it won't go off, also party tiger's lust and rop macros are nice to have. One last thing is you might want to go over use of transcendence since it is generally underutilized by most monks.

#4 BalanceRexxar

BalanceRexxar
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Thorium Brotherhood
  • Vengeance

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:02 AM

View Postaugiddin, on 21 June 2013 - 02:49 AM, said:

Handy tip is you can macro cancel auras into fof because generally it will be a better bind and as long as you are holding a movement key it won't go off, also party tiger's lust and rop macros are nice to have. One last thing is you might want to go over use of transcendence since it is generally underutilized by most monks.

thanks man, the auras in fof is just preference, I just have excessive binds so I use it on them just because and I got the tigers lust macros in there but I deleted my ring of peace macros because as of now there isn't 1 instance where i would take ring of peace over leg sweep or charging ox wave. And I can put transcendence in there, it's pretty standard tho put it down at start of game, put orbs on it, etc. I'll put it in just in case some people dont know about it but most do.

Edited by BalanceRexxar, 21 June 2013 - 03:06 AM.

#5 Udderly

Udderly
  • Members
  • Trollclass_name
  • US-Kil'jaeden
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents:
  • RBG: 1918

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:18 AM

Thanks for the shoutout, glad you enjoyed the other guide =)

#6 BalanceRexxar

BalanceRexxar
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Thorium Brotherhood
  • Vengeance

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:31 AM

View PostUdderly, on 21 June 2013 - 03:18 AM, said:

Thanks for the shoutout, glad you enjoyed the other guide =)

np man, no way I could have made this without your guide as a guide for my guide? Guideception.

#7 Udderly

Udderly
  • Members
  • Trollclass_name
  • US-Kil'jaeden
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents:
  • RBG: 1918

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:59 AM

View PostBalanceRexxar, on 21 June 2013 - 03:31 AM, said:

np man, no way I could have made this without your guide as a guide for my guide? Guideception.

Ha nice.  Just a quick note (I play WW as an alt actually).  Hoodrych turned me on to using Ox, now that peace isn't so great and I have to say he was right that it's pretty awesome.  I still like having leg sweep for things like hunter/demo zoo or melee cleaves, but having the ability to follow up a para with the range stun is great, and its also useful for catching someone when roll is down.  And if you aim it right, you can have it go through a melee and then hit the healer as it heads out.  The thing that kept me away from it at first was that I figured I would never be able to aim it, but as Hood pointed out it has a pretty wide space for hitting a target.

Great guide though, I just learned a few tricks I'm definitely gonna try!

#8 Scottjackson

Scottjackson
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Rexxar
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Shadow 0/0/2/2/2/2
  • RBG: 2066

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:47 AM

great guide + rep

#9 Covlol

Covlol
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Fury 0/1/1/0/2/2
  • 2v2: 1924
  • 3v3: 2468
  • 5v5: 2282
  • RBG: 1787

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:50 AM

Very well thought out and done guide. I have been playing monk for a little bit since I came back to the game, it is an extremely well built class imo and super fun.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Lvl 1 Dk Legend Covlol

#10 Catalystics

Catalystics
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Rexxar
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Holy 2/0/1/1/1/1

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:05 AM

Excellent Guide My level 91 Monk is going to do so well in PVP

#11 classics

classics
  • Junkies
  • Goblinclass_name
  • US-Rexxar
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Restoration 0/1/1/1/0/0
  • RBG: 2079

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:12 AM

Great post, + rep

#12 skendy

skendy
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Rexxar
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Destruction 1/1/0/0/0/1
  • RBG: 2043

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:51 AM

Good guide man, post it on the wow forums too. Rep'd.

#13 Marshmellow

Marshmellow
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Windwalker 1/0/2/2/2/1/2
  • 2v2: 2375
  • 3v3: 2440
  • RBG: 960

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:29 AM

very well done guide again +rep
Posted Image

#14 Celaurthor

Celaurthor
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Bloodscalp
  • Cyclone
  • Talents: Mistweaver 1/0/2/2/2/1/2
  • 2v2: 1389
  • RBG: 192

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:58 AM

I played demo/ww/rsham at the end of 5.2 start of 5.3 to around 2350. Demo works really well with it aswell.

#15 BalanceRexxar

BalanceRexxar
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Thorium Brotherhood
  • Vengeance

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:19 PM

View PostCelaurthor, on 21 June 2013 - 08:58 AM, said:

I played demo/ww/rsham at the end of 5.2 start of 5.3 to around 2350. Demo works really well with it aswell.

Thanks for the info man, if you can tell me some more on why it works so well and the pros and cons I'll add it to the guide.

#16 Machmaplatz

Machmaplatz
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Windwalker 1/0/1/2/2/1
  • RBG: 1462

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:03 PM

cant give enough rep to you man .... thank you so much

#17 BalanceRexxar

BalanceRexxar
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Thorium Brotherhood
  • Vengeance

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:25 AM

View PostMachmaplatz, on 23 June 2013 - 09:03 PM, said:

cant give enough rep to you man .... thank you so much

no problem, glad you liked it :)

#18 Persephones

Persephones
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Argent Dawn
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • Talents: Affliction 0/0/1/2/0/1
  • RBG: 2123
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:04 AM

zomg such a bad idea to let non glads post in class forums etc etc

good job dude, didnt read it all but it looks awesome!

View PostBraindance, on 22 June 2013 - 07:05 AM, said:

The current season is at a very good spot balance-wise. There is a comp variety that hasn't been seen in the game since s8.

#19 BalanceRexxar

BalanceRexxar
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Thorium Brotherhood
  • Vengeance

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:32 PM

View PostPersephones, on 24 June 2013 - 07:04 AM, said:

zomg such a bad idea to let non glads post in class forums etc etc

good job dude, didnt read it all but it looks awesome!

thanks

#20 Muhwington

Muhwington
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Frostwolf
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Discipline 2/1/1/1/1/1/.
  • 2v2: 1510
  • 3v3: 2337
  • RBG: 575

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:45 PM

Weapon chain or 2x dancing Steel? What do you prefer?

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

<