• Curse Sites
Help

How to Walk with the Wind (6.0.0)

Races Glyphs Talents Gemming Reforging and Professions Class Synergy and Addons Macros

• Please log in to reply
217 replies to this topic

#121 Tapion

Tapion
  • Premium Junkies
  • Curse Premium
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Assassination

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:25 AM

View PostBalanceRexxar, on 21 June 2013 - 01:29 AM, said:

Tier 6 - Damage
Rushing Jade Wind, Invoke Xuen, the White Tiger, Chi Torpedo. As the game has evolved and we've acquired more gear Rushing Jade Wind is almost always the best pick because we can use it to blow off excess energy. Some occasions you would want to take Xuen over it is against a double DPS team in 2v2.

Could you talk a little bit more about this.  I am brand new to the monk and I was wondering if you could give an example or 2 of your use of RJW in 2v2.  When you say blow off excess energy do you mean like say for example you are chasing someone but before you actually get to them you RJW just to have a few extra damage ticks when you reach them?  I guess I am a little confused as to if that would be worth it vs getting Xuen unless im generating a combo point off RJW.  I havent entered arena on my monk yet so im ignorant here and just wanted clarification.

Thanks

Edit:  Nevermind I had rogue on the brain and forgot monk finishers cost no energy so I guess you use it as part of your burst when you already have your chi points built up?

#122 ninjagobear

ninjagobear
  • Members

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:49 PM

what advice do you have for fighting 1 on 1 vs mages. i feel like they are the hardest to kill because i get rooted then i tiger lust, or trinket or nimble brew or w/e and they just keep rooting me . also when i stun they just blink and karma they just ice block. i feel ike ican never win against them unless they are inexperienced

#123 Silhin

Silhin
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Frost 2/2/2/2/0/2
  • RBG: 1961

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:48 PM

View Postninjagobear, on 14 April 2014 - 10:49 PM, said:

what advice do you have for fighting 1 on 1 vs mages. i feel like they are the hardest to kill because i get rooted then i tiger lust, or trinket or nimble brew or w/e and they just keep rooting me . also when i stun they just blink and karma they just ice block. i feel ike ican never win against them unless they are inexperienced
mage are actually one of the exest i feel like people that have trouble mages arent using gouge enuff as for bluind u can always force it with fist and the leg sweep

#124 BalanceRexxar

BalanceRexxar
  • Premium Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Rexxar
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Windwalker 1/0/2/2/0/0
  • 2v2: 2313
  • 3v3: 3017
  • 5v5: 2329
  • RBG: 2193

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:49 PM

View PostTapion, on 14 April 2014 - 10:25 AM, said:

Could you talk a little bit more about this.  I am brand new to the monk and I was wondering if you could give an example or 2 of your use of RJW in 2v2.  When you say blow off excess energy do you mean like say for example you are chasing someone but before you actually get to them you RJW just to have a few extra damage ticks when you reach them?  I guess I am a little confused as to if that would be worth it vs getting Xuen unless im generating a combo point off RJW.  I havent entered arena on my monk yet so im ignorant here and just wanted clarification.

Thanks

Edit:  Nevermind I had rogue on the brain and forgot monk finishers cost no energy so I guess you use it as part of your burst when you already have your chi points built up?

uh, i kind of use it a lot because monks are so rarely out of energy, some examples would be like you said, chasing a target while having 100% energy or if you are sitting a nova and are 100% energy, or before bursting. Never use it if you are energy starved and need to jab instead. You can also use it to get 1 combo point off a stampede or gargoyle dk pet etc.

#125 BalanceRexxar

BalanceRexxar
  • Premium Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Rexxar
  • Vengeance

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:52 PM

View Postninjagobear, on 14 April 2014 - 10:49 PM, said:

Yeah, you're right. You shouldn't win unless they are inexperienced OR the wrong talents.

If they are blazing speed iceward you're probably done for, I have a very hard time beating mages who use these two talents.

If they are not those talents you have a shot, are for your karma issue, unless they have hypothermia debuff cast karma on the pet. (they can dismiss it but they may not know)

For stunning them, chances are you won't be able to kick a polymorph because you'll be deeped or novaed so when you stun you might as well use your 2s blanket silence to get a couple globals off.

Use spinning fire blossom a lot to root them, keep disable up, and make use of the disable root, keep in mind the fire blossom roots and disable roots are on different DR's.

Hope that helps.

#126 Clipback

Clipback
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Eredar
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Marksmanship 1/1/1/2/0/0
  • 2v2: 1644
  • 3v3: 1727
  • RBG: 1642

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:12 AM

View PostBalanceRexxar, on 14 April 2014 - 11:49 PM, said:

uh, i kind of use it a lot because monks are so rarely out of energy, some examples would be like you said, chasing a target while having 100% energy or if you are sitting a nova and are 100% energy, or before bursting. Never use it if you are energy starved and need to jab instead. You can also use it to get 1 combo point off a stampede or gargoyle dk pet etc.

When I play my monk, I actually do find myself energy starved quite often. I have reforged & gemmed for Crit>Haste>Mastery though - do you think I should switch my setup to a haste-oriented build to maybe support a playstyle that's heavyily focussed on "spamming" Jab? Or am I just playing it completely wrong and should focus more on energy management?

#127 BalanceRexxar

BalanceRexxar
  • Premium Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Rexxar
  • Vengeance

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:08 PM

View PostClipback, on 15 April 2014 - 08:12 AM, said:

When I play my monk, I actually do find myself energy starved quite often. I have reforged & gemmed for Crit>Haste>Mastery though - do you think I should switch my setup to a haste-oriented build to maybe support a playstyle that's heavyily focussed on "spamming" Jab? Or am I just playing it completely wrong and should focus more on energy management?

If you're using Jab to generate 2 chi then immediately proceeding to use BLK or RSK you shouldn't be energy starved until after 5, 6, 7 or them which is quite uncommon to get that many off undisturbed, maybe try using Energizing Brew only when you are really starved. As for reforging, keep to crit haste mastery because it is the best option.

#128 Clipback

Clipback
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Eredar
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Marksmanship 1/1/1/2/0/0
  • 2v2: 1644
  • 3v3: 1727
  • RBG: 1642

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:31 PM

View PostBalanceRexxar, on 15 April 2014 - 02:08 PM, said:

If you're using Jab to generate 2 chi then immediately proceeding to use BLK or RSK you shouldn't be energy starved until after 5, 6, 7 or them which is quite uncommon to get that many off undisturbed, maybe try using Energizing Brew only when you are really starved. As for reforging, keep to crit haste mastery because it is the best option.

Ah, now I see what I'm doing wrong <_< my main was originally a rogue until winter last year so I adopted the habit of filling up the "combo points", in this case the Chi, and then using the finishers. So I actually don't want to fill up the chi bar, but rather get enough Chi for the finisher I want to use. Thanks for the quick response, I'm gonna try and do that later tonight!

#129 RippedLife

RippedLife
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Ravencrest
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • 2v2: 2445
  • 3v3: 2109
  • 5v5: 1737
  • RBG: 958
  • LocationAustria

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:51 AM

Question: do you guys just use your stacks whenever you get 10 or wait until you have 15 and get trinket procs and a good stun

I got Dragon Roar'd by a Warrior in Ashran and it knocked me through the floor then made me DC for 10 minutes.

I didn't submit a bug though, with the state of Warriors throughout MoP it wouldn't surprise me if it was intended.

#130 BalanceRexxar

BalanceRexxar
  • Premium Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Rexxar
  • Vengeance

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:07 PM

View PostRippedLife, on 17 April 2014 - 09:51 AM, said:

Question: do you guys just use your stacks whenever you get 10 or wait until you have 15 and get trinket procs and a good stun

It varies, lowest I normally use is 4 and that's only when a kill is imminent, other than than 5-10 is normally when I use them and people should try to line them up with trinket procs but I don't generally wait around if I see a kill opportunity,

#131 Dillypoo

Dillypoo
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Marksmanship 1/1/1/0/0/0
  • 2v2: 2515
  • 3v3: 3028
  • 5v5: 2391
  • RBG: 2036

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:25 PM

Hi balance : ^ )

View PostCapstone, on 31 July 2014 - 03:47 PM, said:

the only hunter i approve of is dillypoo. the remainder of hunters' existence offends me to my core. when i wake up, i am troubled that in some parts of the world, there are other humans who still partake in slavery, sex trafficking, and hunter playing on world of warcraft

http://i.imgur.com/QfpYL5r.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/hGw5KBu.jpg

#132 BalanceRexxar

BalanceRexxar
  • Premium Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Rexxar
  • Vengeance

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:55 AM

View PostDillypoo, on 17 April 2014 - 05:25 PM, said:

Hi balance : ^ )

hello

#133 ninjagobear

ninjagobear
  • Members

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:35 AM

how do you burst? I saw venruki by himself in 3s... completely annihlate a rouque in 2-3 seconds....

i saw rjw probably stacked with trinket.... but i dont know the order of things...

also what is a good size monitor to have? I use a 15" laptop monitor but i think i should get a 22-24"

also how come you don't or should not or should spec according to askmrrobot? I read that their forumula is based off of simC... so hypothetically wouldn't that be the best?

#134 BalanceRexxar

BalanceRexxar
  • Premium Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Rexxar
  • Vengeance

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:42 AM

View Postninjagobear, on 20 April 2014 - 04:35 AM, said:

how do you burst? I saw venruki by himself in 3s... completely annihlate a rouque in 2-3 seconds....

i saw rjw probably stacked with trinket.... but i dont know the order of things...

also what is a good size monitor to have? I use a 15" laptop monitor but i think i should get a 22-24"

also how come you don't or should not or should spec according to askmrrobot? I read that their forumula is based off of simC... so hypothetically wouldn't that be the best?

Ask Mr. Robot is for PvE, just copy my armory if you want to have the best setup, I've tested a little bit and think I have it pretty good. RJW is situational, if you can use it before bursting do it, if you need energy don't, if you have too much energy do it.

#135 Darthgnoe

Darthgnoe
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Grim Batol
  • Misery
  • Talents: Mistweaver 1/0/2/0/2/1
  • 2v2: 2415
  • 3v3: 2523
  • 5v5: 2040
  • RBG: 1837

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:20 AM

View PostBalanceRexxar, on 15 April 2014 - 02:08 PM, said:

dont really get the difference between jabbing once then rsking or blking or just jabbing twice and doing them in more of a burst sequence, neither option is gonna make you energy starve quicker. in fact chances are higher that you waste energy by jabbing once and then blking or rsking since you will start regenning close to a 100 energy.

lets say you jab once and then blk youre at 60 energy and by the time your global finishes from blk or rsk youre back at 80 energy (hypothetical situation) you then jab again putting you at 40 energy into another blk/rsk.

Now lets say you jab twice and youll be at 20 energy. you then spend not one but 2 globals rsking and blking. now in both situations youre constantly regaining energy while spending the same amount of time using your moves.

Am I missing something? cause I always thought it was more optimal to build up to 4 chi and deliver more bursty sequences of dmg.

ps sorry for all the your youre fuck ups. My keyboard is fucked up in a different layout mode and shift - alt isnt working.

#136 BalanceRexxar

BalanceRexxar
  • Premium Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Rexxar
  • Vengeance

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:46 PM

View PostDarthgnoe, on 20 April 2014 - 10:20 AM, said:

dont really get the difference between jabbing once then rsking or blking or just jabbing twice and doing them in more of a burst sequence, neither option is gonna make you energy starve quicker. in fact chances are higher that you waste energy by jabbing once and then blking or rsking since you will start regenning close to a 100 energy.

lets say you jab once and then blk youre at 60 energy and by the time your global finishes from blk or rsk youre back at 80 energy (hypothetical situation) you then jab again putting you at 40 energy into another blk/rsk.

Now lets say you jab twice and youll be at 20 energy. you then spend not one but 2 globals rsking and blking. now in both situations youre constantly regaining energy while spending the same amount of time using your moves.

Am I missing something? cause I always thought it was more optimal to build up to 4 chi and deliver more bursty sequences of dmg.

ps sorry for all the your youre fuck ups. My keyboard is fucked up in a different layout mode and shift - alt isnt working.

You're not taking into account Combo Breaker, the free Tiger Palm and Blackout Kick, the more often you jab the more likely you are to get a proc. And as for the energy regeneration portion, there is so much randomness in an arena game you can rely on being able to dump energy then dump your chi, you want to be able to do damage consistently rather than small bursts.

If you use all your energy at one time it may not be there for when you need to use it, but there is too much randomness in an arena game to judge whether you should jab once or twice. I have found though that I do more consistent damage if I jab then strike rather than jab jab strike strike. And if you jab jab strike strike eventually you will get to a point where you're at 0 energy and have 2 chi and it isn't worth it to wait that extra amount of time just to get 2 more.

TLDR, You can jab twice early in rotation but late rotation you'll want to jab once, you also can't take into account whether you'll be able to jab to start energy regen because of CC or something else. Jabbing once is more consistent damage and if Combo Breaker procs you will be able to use it more often if you consume it then jab again.

#137 Tapion

Tapion
  • Premium Junkies
  • Curse Premium
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Assassination

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:47 PM

I did some arena for the first time on my monk recently.  I am confused about the current state of healers.  Now keep in mind I havent really done any arena since BC and a lil in WOTLK and maybe I am doing something wrong but some healers are really difficult to kill.  I thought 15 seconds for my interrupt seemed long but I checked my rogue and his kick was increased to a 15 sec cooldown as well.   Also does FoF ring up diminishing returns quickly because of its multi stun aspect?

Edit: I forgot to mention you have a typo in your twitch url.

#138 shackalackin

shackalackin
  • Members

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:06 PM

The only time FoF will rack up diminishing returns is if the target is already on DR for stuns or the target trinkets. Every tick, it's attempting to stun a target for 4sec. If a target is on no stun DR and doesn't trinket, it'll just be one 4 sec stun

#139 satrina

satrina
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Moon Guard
  • Emberstorm
  • Talents: Frost
  • RBG: 576

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:13 AM

Noticed a few people using the pvp power/Resi meta gem over Agi+Crit effect. Any reason specifically for that? I figured crit bonus would benefit us far more then 1-2% extra pvp power?

#140 Darthgnoe

Darthgnoe
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Grim Batol
  • Misery
  • Talents: Mistweaver 1/0/2/0/2/1
  • 2v2: 2415
  • 3v3: 2523
  • 5v5: 2040
  • RBG: 1837

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:36 AM

I'm guessing for the resil, but I just use the agile one.. that slight amount of resi isn't going to save me anyway

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

<