• Curse Sites
Help

How to Walk with the Wind (5.4.7)

Races Glyphs Talents Gemming Reforging and Professions Class Synergy and Addons Macros

• Please log in to reply
215 replies to this topic

#101 hekumzx

hekumzx
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Restoration 0/2/0/1/0/0
  • 2v2: 1744
  • 3v3: 2718
  • 5v5: 576

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:09 AM

+rep

But a guide that suggests new players bind all damage abilities in a sequential order to their naga, may not be the best idea.

A comprehensive look at resto shaman, from the inside out - http://i.imgur.com/icr36xO.png

Posted Image

Official Blizzard Quote:

11/18/10
Balance isn't as easy as some seem to think and often balance is in the eye of the beholder.. We believe priests will be in good shape if not great..

#102 BalanceRexxar

BalanceRexxar
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Rexxar
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Windwalker 1/0/2/2/0/0
  • 2v2: 2373
  • 3v3: 3017
  • 5v5: 2329
  • RBG: 2193

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:39 AM

View PostHektiik, on 23 February 2014 - 06:09 AM, said:

+rep

But a guide that suggests new players bind all damage abilities in a sequential order to their naga, may not be the best idea.

The intent wasn't to tell them where to keybind things but how they should go about doing it, I.E. I can hit all my naga buttons easily and doesn't effect my movement keybinds therefore I have 100% mobility and 100% DPS as I play, likewise for the movement keybinds, being close to your WASD or whatever preference you choose.

In other words, I was just demonstrating how it is good to keybind your DPS abilities in a way that it doesn't effect your ability to move.

#103 Dyllbar

Dyllbar
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Elemental 0/1/1/2/0/2
  • 2v2: 2117
  • 3v3: 2807
  • 5v5: 2542
  • RBG: 2265
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:26 PM

Yo sick guide man lots of work put into that.

#104 Noblock

Noblock
  • Speedytko
  • Junkies
  • Worgenclass_name
  • EU-Ravencrest
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Feral 2/1/2/2/0/0

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:42 AM

a real solid guide there my friend :) take all my rep!
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.

-Bruce Lee
Skype proxy guide :
http://imgur.com/a/NpFdW

#105 endocytotic

endocytotic
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Holy 1/1/1/1/0/1
  • 2v2: 1944
  • 3v3: 1854
  • 5v5: 2207
  • RBG: 959

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:17 AM

You did good man, I don't play monk but this was a good read. +1

#106 Celaurthor

Celaurthor
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Arthas
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Mistweaver 1/0/2/0/0/1
  • 2v2: 1682
  • 3v3: 2047
  • 5v5: 672
  • RBG: 1149

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:30 AM

Wow I feel like a jerk I just saw you asked me to answer your question and I never came back to do it. But Dwarf isn't that terrible for mw because it breaks wyvern sting and can save your ele/enh tremor or your trinket.

#107 Holdups

Holdups
  • Members

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:15 AM

Thanks a ton for the great guide.  I read it thoroughly as I leveled my monk up through BGs, and it helped out a lot.  Thanks also to everyone that posted tidbits and gems throughout the thread.

Finally hit 90 on my WW, and have geared it up over the past few days (thanks for being generous with 2 drops, Celestials!).

- I'm curious as to how you arrived at the approximate stat values to aim for, namely crit and haste.  Are there specific reasons behind the suggestions of 40% or higher crit and 12% or higher haste.  Are these unbuffed "Armory numbers" or do they include self-buffs?  I'm completely on-board with the notion that our mastery is lackluster at best, so obviously reforging everything into crit and haste is the logical route.  With LotE and LotWT up, I can get well over that 40% crit mark, but my haste falls short of the 12% figure you suggest (currently at ~11% haste).  Does something special happen at 12% haste?  Once I get to that 40%+ crit mark, should I stop reforging/gemming crit and then chase that 12% haste mark?  I just wanted to see if those values you suggest 'mean something,' if you know what I mean.

- I know choosing between Diffuse Magic and Healing Elixirs is situational, depending on what the opposing team is made up of, so there is no x-is-always-better choice.  I have a question about each of these talents.
1) Diffuse Magic - I was in a BG earlier and got loaded up with DoTs from a spriest and aff lock.  Once all their spells were up on me, I popped Diffuse.  My target at the time was the spriest.  After Diffusing, I looked at the spriests buffs and debuffs and saw that she had a row of warlock DoTs rolling on her, which made me go "huh?"  We had no warlock on our team.... Was this just a display bug I was seeing?  The tooltip clearly states "...reversing them back to their original caster..."  Call me confounded.
2) Healing Elixirs - If I understand correctly, this talent works in two ways.  A heal that "procs" when you're brought below 35% hp, and an "on-use" aspect when drinking a tea or brew.  Is this accurate?  If so, are either of these methods of the heal affected or not affected by Battle Fatigue?  I assume they are, but I'm not certain.

Again, thanks a ton for the guide.  I enjoyed the monk from the minute I rolled it, and these forums have made me like it that much more.  The people in the monk section seem to be tremendously helpful, unlike a lot of the other class forums.  :duckers:

#108 BalanceRexxar

BalanceRexxar
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Rexxar
  • Vengeance

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:26 AM

I'm curious as to how you arrived at the approximate stat values to aim for, namely crit and haste.  Are there specific reasons behind the suggestions of 40% or higher crit and 12% or higher haste.  Are these unbuffed "Armory numbers" or do they include self-buffs?  

with both your self buffs up you should have these stats, there isn't anything special at 12% I just find that is a good place to be energy regen, if you copy mine or any of the other armories will full gear your stats will be fine. And there is no perfect mark for any of our stats, it's how much crit you can get while still getting a decent amount of haste and mastery on the side.

1) Diffuse Magic

that's very interesting, i've never looked at it myself since the dots do minimal damage. It could be a 1 time bug or consistent bug, either way it doesn't affect whether you take elixirs or diffuse.

enjoy your weekend

healing elixirs isn't effected by battle fatigue, the issue i have with it is that sometimes it will proc when you don't need it and be on cooldown when you could use the heal, that is why I take diffuse magic a lot more than other monks I see. But it is still very very good.

#109 pootyy

pootyy
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Frostmourne
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Mistweaver 1/0/2/0/0/2
  • 2v2: 1491
  • 3v3: 2302
  • 5v5: 1894
  • RBG: 192

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:12 AM

very nice balance, tyvm

EDIT: what is your general strat you Spriest, WW, rsham?

Edited by pootyy, 04 March 2014 - 11:04 AM.

#110 BalanceRexxar

BalanceRexxar
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Rexxar
  • Vengeance

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:26 PM

View Postpootyy, on 01 March 2014 - 11:12 AM, said:

very nice balance, tyvm

EDIT: what is your general strat you Spriest, WW, rsham?

thanks, the general strat is saving stuns, incaps, silence, fear, and DP for the big setup, para or silence the healer into stun on dps then fear off incap and when not doing that save damage for maximum burst, similar to RPS. If going healer, double fear into stun into restun into silence and hold kick so they juke themselves to death.

#111 Messman

Messman
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Hellscream
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Arms

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:03 PM

As Human, why is Tailoring a must? Why can't I take something like BS/JC for example?

#112 BalanceRexxar

BalanceRexxar
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Rexxar
  • Vengeance

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:48 PM

View PostMessman, on 30 March 2014 - 07:03 PM, said:

As Human, why is Tailoring a must? Why can't I take something like BS/JC for example?

Because 4000 AP proc > 320 stat. Plus you already have a +320 stat profession on your other one.

#113 Darthgnoe

Darthgnoe
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Grim Batol
  • Misery
  • Talents: Mistweaver 1/0/2/0/2/1
  • 2v2: 2415
  • 3v3: 2523
  • 5v5: 2040
  • RBG: 1837

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:55 AM

This is pretty nifty in WoD to further increase our melee / caster / healer viability. it's easy to miss in the huge list of changes so thought I'd post here, overall monks seem to not be losing to many drastic things. Also seems like we're getting surging mist for 30 energy to make up for losing healing sphere? seems strong if it's instant cast.

The following abilities now also increase magic damage taken by the target by 5% for 15 seconds.
  • Monk (Windwalker): Rising Sun Kick

#114 BalanceRexxar

BalanceRexxar
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Rexxar
  • Vengeance

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:32 PM

View PostDarthgnoe, on 04 April 2014 - 11:55 AM, said:

This is pretty nifty in WoD to further increase our melee / caster / healer viability. it's easy to miss in the huge list of changes so thought I'd post here, overall monks seem to not be losing to many drastic things. Also seems like we're getting surging mist for 30 energy to make up for losing healing sphere? seems strong if it's instant cast.

The following abilities now also increase magic damage taken by the target by 5% for 15 seconds.
  • Monk (Windwalker): Rising Sun Kick

Weird, I wasn't able to find that on any of the notes I looked at, if it made it live that'd be nice though.

#115 BalanceRexxar

BalanceRexxar
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Rexxar
  • Vengeance

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:33 PM

Also, I have added all the changes I could find to the original post here. As well as my analysis on how they will impact Windwalkers and the game and what I think about them.

If there are any notes that I missed please post them here with links to original source and I'll add them.

#116 discoepfeand

discoepfeand
  • Premium
  • Curse Premium

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:23 PM

Thanks a lot, Balance!  One other indirect nerf in WoD, imo, is that the loss of Grapple for monks is probably a slightly bigger nerf than it is for rogues/warriors who can only do so in melee range.  Also, the ring of peace change may or may not warrant a special call-out as well.

Your guide is much appreciated, and if you decide that the 2 changes above aren't worth mentioning, no big deal, just a reminder in case you decide they're worth discussing.

#117 BalanceRexxar

BalanceRexxar
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Rexxar
  • Vengeance

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:54 PM

View Postdiscoepfeand, on 05 April 2014 - 05:23 PM, said:

Thanks a lot, Balance!  One other indirect nerf in WoD, imo, is that the loss of Grapple for monks is probably a slightly bigger nerf than it is for rogues/warriors who can only do so in melee range.  Also, the ring of peace change may or may not warrant a special call-out as well.

Your guide is much appreciated, and if you decide that the 2 changes above aren't worth mentioning, no big deal, just a reminder in case you decide they're worth discussing.

No you're right I forgot to mention that change, also I'll put in the only 2 level 100 talents that WW would pick, both of those talents are actually huge that I didn't mention.

#118 Evil_Kmuz

Evil_Kmuz
  • Members

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:20 PM

wow great guide bro

#119 ninjagobear

ninjagobear
  • Members

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:02 PM

wow awesome guide!
questions:

1) How can I improve. when I pvp i get tunnel vision but also so much stuff going on i can never keep track of who my target is etc etc or tigerpalm is up or rsk is still on them...

2) do you have a video commentary of your pvp with your explanation of when to use all the advice you gave in your detailed post?

3) because we have nimble brew is it better to take the trinket with extra dmg or take the trinket that will let you break an extra cc?

#120 BalanceRexxar

BalanceRexxar
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Rexxar
  • Vengeance

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:36 PM

View Postninjagobear, on 11 April 2014 - 03:02 PM, said:

wow awesome guide!
questions:

1) How can I improve. when I pvp i get tunnel vision but also so much stuff going on i can never keep track of who my target is etc etc or tigerpalm is up or rsk is still on them...

2) do you have a video commentary of your pvp with your explanation of when to use all the advice you gave in your detailed post?

3) because we have nimble brew is it better to take the trinket with extra dmg or take the trinket that will let you break an extra cc?

1. As far of keeping track of stuff you may want to consider getting some sort of addon to help you, debuff filter and tellmewhen are both good addons to keep track of those buffs / debuffs. And for keeping track of your target and the general game, other than practice the only thing that could help you is changing your UI to make things more visible.

2. I do not.

3. Always play with the medallion to get out of CC. Since monks only really die in stuns our trinkets are basically defensives. And if you face double caster teams and you take diffuse magic, you'll want 1 trinket for diffuse and the other for karma. And even for teams where you don't take diffuse you'll still want 2 trinkets to get out of CC.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

<