• Curse Sites
Help

How to Walk with the Wind (5.4.7)

Races Glyphs Talents Gemming Reforging and Professions Class Synergy and Addons Macros

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#1 BalanceRexxar

BalanceRexxar
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Rexxar
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Windwalker 1/0/2/2/0/0
  • 2v2: 2542
  • 3v3: 2864
  • 5v5: 2288
  • RBG: 2180

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:29 AM

POPULAR

Posted Image

0.0) Additional Help
1.0) Introduction
1.1) Streaming
1.2) Abilities
1.3) Races
1.4) Glyphs
1.5) Talents   
1.6) Gemming & Enchanting
1.7) Reforging
1.8) Professions
1.9) Armories
2.0) Keybindings
2.1) Class Synergy
2.2) Monk Comps
2.3) Macros
2.4) Addons
2.5) Monk Streams
2.6) Rated Battlegrounds
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted Image

If there is something I forgot to include in the guide or something I explained poorly feel free to whisper me in game and I'll answer your question, if I don't I'm either in a game and didn't see or afk, if I don't and you have to go you can just send a mail or try when I'm out or not afk.

Server: Rexxar
Toon Name: Balance
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted Image

Hello there! My name is Steve, in game I am known as Balance. I made this guide for Windwalker monks in 5.3 and 5.4 and am updating it for 5.4.7. I updated it early just because I know not much is changing and am able to foresee what will change and how it will impact what Windwalkers do. Things you should know about me is I got Rank 1 (Duelist) in Season 13 and Rank 1 Gladiator in Season 14. I love to answer questions and appreciate any feedback you give me.
Posted Image

I sometimes stream World PvP, RBGs, BGs, 2v2, 3v3, 5v5, and anything in between. You can follow me at twitch.tv/balancerexxar

Posted Image

Damaging Abilities:

Jab

Tiger Palm

Blackout Kick

Rising Sun Kick

​Fists of Fury

Expel Harm

​These are your primary damaging abilities. You use jab and expel harm to build Chi to use your other abilities. You use expel harm when you aren't at 100% HP or can't jab anything. You also need to keep Tiger Strikes buff up at all times. You need to use Rising Sun Kick off cooldown. Fists of Fury is situational, you may use it to peel or control. I often use it after a Leg Sweep or Ox Wave for damage and control. It can do a lot of damage when channeling on a single target with stacks of Tigereye Brew up.

Control Abilities:
  • Fists of Fury, ​Fists of Fury is also a high damage ability but you can stun and entire team with it and they can't trinket it most of the time because you will just re-apply the stun when they do.
  • Leg Sweep, Charging Ox Wave, and Ring of Peace Leg Sweep and Charging Ox Wave are just stuns which is a control, Ring of Peace is a AoE disarm and silence.
  • Paralysis, Paralysis is one of the best peeling abilities in the game, a ranged 4-6s incapacitate can lock down mages and other classes on their deep freezes, demon soul, shadow dance, and other high damage cooldowns and such instantly.
  • Spear Hand Strike, Spear Hand Strike is our kick. I don't recommend using it for the 2 second silence but if you're on a mage who is spamming ice lances into a deep freeze you might as well. It has also proven useful when killing Priests because of their bubble, if they are bubbled at 11% and coming out of a stun I like to use it to try to get them 1% or however much needed lower so I can Touch of Death. I also use this ability on warriors when they are close to 10% coming out of a stun to prevent them from using Rallying Cry so I can touch of death before they get it off. Warning: This ability has a slight delay for when the silence is applied to use it around 0.25-0.5s before you want the actual silence to go on.
  • Spinning Fire Blossom, Spinning Fire Blossom without the glyph is a 50 yard range 2 second root if you can land it. It can prove difficult but possible. It is very underused and can help you get back on your target and save a roll or two.
  • Flying Serpent Kick, Flying Serpent Kick is an AoE 4 second 70% slow, it can be used to slow players. It is one of our high mobility cooldowns so use it wisely.
  • Disable, Disable is a spammable slow & root, it is similar to how Improved Hamstring used to work, if they are slowed already when you re-apply it it will root them, you can spam this slowing a lot of people for a long amount of time.
  • Grapple Weapon, Grapple Weapon can be used to disarm your opponent, on certain classes it will shut them down. It is a ranged ability making it one of the best disarms in the game.
Misc. Abilities:
  • Fortifying Brew, this ability can be very useful, if you're facing a team with an execute you can use it to avoid that or just use it before taking large amounts of damage to reduce it, it's basically an Ironbark + a self Rallying Cry on a 3 minute cooldown. This ability combined with healthstone and expel harm can prevent you from having to use Karma or Diffuse magic a lot of the time.
  • Detox, I use this ability just about off CD against Death Knight teams to remove their diseases. I also use to to remove rogue poisons like Crippling Poison and Paralytic Poison before stacks are high enough to stun you. The best use of it it to remove Devouring Plague against priests who play Insanity effectively stopping a major part of their burst, another game changing use is to get Wyvern Sting off your teammates so they don't have to trinket.
  • Crackling Jade Lightning, this ability is mostly used for fun or to keep people from leaving combat to avoid re-stealths, drinks, etc. It also can get spell reflects from warriors.
  • Nimble Brew, It is crucial that if you play a Windwalker monk you have an "out" which is a way to get out of CC to be able to use Touch of Karma or Diffuse Magic. Rotating cooldowns between your trinket and Nimble brew should allow you to always have a way to karma.
  • Provoke, This is one of my favorite abilities. Most people see the taunt and think, "Oh it's just PvE." They couldn't be more wrong. Whenever I see a grounding totem down, I taunt. It is off the GCD, has no cost, and destroys it. It also keeps rogues in combat going for stealths or healers going for drinks. It also gets spell reflects and my favorite use for it is to taunt pets. Those pesky hunter pets see me taunt them and chase after me behind a pillar where I then fists of fury it to death. I bolded this because it is the most underused ability by monks.
  • Storm, Earth, and Fire, this is another great ability. It has few purposes outside of PvE but it is in fact useful. The primary use to to stop drinks and re-stealths from healers and rogues. By the time a rogue or healer gets it off them it's been a good long while and the re-stealth probably never got off because we stopped them ourselves. Another use it for RBG's just throw them on random targets and start using Spinning Crane Kick or Rushing Jade Wind for decent AoE damage and fantastic flag spinning. Something to note is that if you get your Rising Sun Kick debuff on another target from you clone that extra 15% damage only applies to that clone and doesn't help your damage.
  • Zen Meditation, also very useful for it's grounding totem like effect. I most often use it right before a healer gets trapped to put it on to me. It is also very useful to eat Chaos Bolts, Deep Freezes, Cyclones, Fears, Polymorphs, Repentance, and all sorts of nasty things you don't want on a low teammate or healer.
  • Transcendence, this ability is pretty standard. Put it down behind a pillar at the start of a game, put 3 healing spheres on it port out when you're in trouble, sometimes reverse port back to get to a target if they are near it, not to much to it. Be sure if you're on Blade's Edge or Dalaran Sewers Arena to have this up before chasing after someone who jumps. Make sure to keep track and have this at whatever pillar the fight is taking place mid-game.
Posted Image

I am only going to discuss a few races because some races are just horrible to be as a monk such as Tauren.

Humans: Human's racial is Every Man for Himself. This ability replaces the use of the commonly used Insignias purchased for conquest. This allows a new trinket to take place of the Insignia. That means you could have a Battlemaster's trinket or a Badge instead. It probably isn't worth using PvE trinkets because when you use two PvP trinkets you gain a significant amount of resilience. This means that you need to compare a 2nd PvP trinket to the other racials of the other races to determine what is better. Another benefit of being human is the Sword Specialization that allows you to get increased expertise from using swords.

Night Elves: This is the best race you can be if you are a Mistweaver on Alliance because you have Shadowmeld. You probably know this but if you don't it's important for you to know that if you use this ability the same time another ability hits you it acts as if that ability never hit. For example, if you Shadowmeld right as a mage finishes casting Polymorph it will act as if the mage never casted it on you. This is very good to prevent being Crowd Controlled (CC). There is also Quickness which can prove to be game breaking if you dodge something like a 6 second Kidney Shot while a teammate is very low, the odds are not in your favor but miracles do happen.

Orc: They have several racials that benefit the monk class. The first one is Axe Specialization, which has the same benefits as the humans allowing them to get extra expertise. The second racial is Blood Fury, which is a nice damage bonus. The third is Command which is unknown if it affects Xuen or your clones via Storm, Earth, and Fire but if it does then it is a minor overall damage bonus but a bonus nonetheless. And the last racial is Hardiness which can be combined to be Powerful Primal Diamond to have all stuns reduced by 25%. This is the main reason I went Orc on my own monk. Having 25% stun reduction allows monks to be able to get a Paralysis or Fortifying brew off in between Cheap Shot and Kidney Shot openers by rogues which can save Nimble Brew and Trinket which is huge versus RMD, RPS, RLS, etc. I think Orc is the best horde race.

Undead: This is best healing race in the game because of Will of the Forsaken. They also have Shadow Resistance which is decent against classes like Warlocks, Death Knights, Priests, and Rogues (with Shadow Blades up). They also have Touch of the Grave for extra damage and healing throughout the game, which is minimal but it's something. And of course Cannibalize our favorite ability to disgrace your opponent after slaying them. This could be the best race or the worst race. For example, if all you face all during your queue session is Rogues and Death Knights you will never have to use your Will of the Forsaken where you could be Orc instead. But overall with how many priests and warlocks are in the game As for Windwalker, orc is better overall because WotF puts your Insignia on cooldown which is very important because of how important trinkets are for monks, you die very easily in CC and I found myself not using Will of the Forsaken a lot just to save me from putting trinket on cooldown.

Blood Elf: Blood Elves racial is Arcane Torrent. Although this is all they provide, it is a handy ability if you do a lot of world PvP, 2v2, and even in 3v3 occasionally. Not only does it provide a 2s silence it gives you a free chi which can sometimes allow you to get another RSK, Blackout Kick, or Fists of Fury without having to Jab right before. If you're horde your going to be better off as Undead or Orc though.

Dwarf: Probably one of the worst races you can go but I have my alt one as dwarf because I love the little guys! It isn't completely useless though, Stoneform allows you the remove all diseases, poisons, and gives you a 10% damage reduction. So, if you are able to use this RIGHT before you get stunned and take a lot of damage it could save you. The main reason I ever use it though is to get out of Wyvern Stings from hunters, since it is a poison only a few healers can dispel it and it is a significant CC, therefore if you use your racial to get out it can save you from having to trinket which is huge. Dwarves also take 1% less frost damage so that is good because mages are everywhere, not to mention they also have a Mace Specialization which allows you to get extra expertise.
Posted Image

Glyphs in 5.4.7 are generally the same with very few expectations. Your go-to glyphs are italicized and the ones that can be useful are normal. Also, there is no way I can tell you what to pick against everything because this post would be massive so you need to take into account what you are playing and who you are facing to decide which glyphs to take.

Glyph of Touch of Death: This is a glyph that needs to be taken against every comp you face and play with. Being able to touch of death without using Chi is very important. A lot of times a target isn't under 10% for 1-2 globals so you really have one chance to get it off and if you have to jab or expel harm 1-2 times to get the chi they are probably dead or above 10% already. I recommend this glyph all of the time.

Glyph of Touch of Karma: Since Touch of Karma is our best defensive cooldown complained about so much I'm surprised it hasn't been nerfed. This glyph gives it a 20 yard range. This is extremely valuable seeing how without it you'd have to be in melee range to get it off and most of the time you need to get it off there is a slow on you and you can't get to the target. Even if there is double melee training you I recommend this glyph all of the time because of how essential it is to get it off exactly when you need it.

Glyph of Paralysis: This glyph allows you to safely paralysis a target without DoT effects breaking it. Depending on what comp you're playing you may or not need this, although we monks ourselves had a DoT from Blackout Kick, it rarely breaks out paralysis and we really only need this if your teammate has DoTs.

Glyph of Detox: This glyph is useful in the 2v2 bracket when playing Healer, WW monk because the only DoT monks have is blackout kick which doesn't last long and unless you're trying to paralysis the target you just blackout kicked it shouldn't break from damage. This means we can take this glyph over glyph of paralysis to keep some pressure off of us against one of the more popular comps, Healer, DK. It can also be used against Rogue teams to heal yourself a minor bit by removing Paralytic Poison or whatever poison they happen to be using.

Glyph of Nimble Brew: This glyph can also useful because of the heal it provides, if you use Nimble Brew to prevent dying it can help but if you are using it offensively it probably won't help much.

Glyph of Sparring: This glyph can be used when the team you're on has no DoT effects and preferably when you are facing a team with a wizard on it, it really depends on what you're playing and who you're facing so you need to decide what's best yourself.

Minor Glyphs:
Zen Flight: I've died a lot from falling so this is my savior. I have it bound to "U" just because it's somewhere I can get it but not super needed.

Blackout Kick: I use this glyph just because of the little extra damage it provides, the healing it provides is minuscule. Also since I use glyph of paralysis a lot the dot doesn't affect it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Tier 1 - Mobility
Celerity, Tiger's Lust, Momentum. These are your options. Out of my thousands arena games as a monk so far I have never used anything but Tiger's Lust. The other options just don't compare to it. With Tiger's Lust you can; get yourself out of roots, sprint teammates to escape, sprint teammates to better positioning, to help your teammates get out of roots and slows, or just use it on an FC so make them go faster. In my experience, I mostly have played with several shamans and something important to know about Tiger's Lust is that it stacks with things like ghost wolf so shamans can easily escape melee by getting Tiger's Lust and activating ghost wolf adding up to a total of 110% movement speed.

Tier 2 - Healing
Chi Wave, Zen Sphere, Chi Burst: These are your options. Again, nearly all of my arena games have been using Chi Wave other than experimenting with the others. Zen Sphere's damage and healing doesn't compare overall and often breaks CC. Chi Wave does a significant amount of healing and damage, it has a low cooldown, it does magic (nature) damage so it isn't greatly affected by armor, and it is single target so it shouldn't break CC but sometimes it hops to someone in CC but it is still worth it to take. Chi Burst may be viable from what I hear. It is twice the cooldown of Chi Wave but does a significant more amount of damage. I'd still probably stick to Chi Wave because of it's short cooldown and the fact that it is instant and doesn't have a cast time like Chi Burst. If you plan on playing with a hunter I'd recommend using Chi Burst.

Tier 3 - Chi
Power Strikes, Ascension, Chi Brew: For all of 5.3 Ascension dominated this tier, power strikes still doesn't compare to Ascension and Chi Brew but Chi Brew became the new best talent because of this change...

Chi Brew now restores 2 Chi, has a 45-second cooldown (down from 1.5 minutes), and generates 2 or 3 stacks of Tigereye Brew. Maximum of two charges.

Now what this means is that you have around a good chance to get 6 stacks out of the gates if you use both off the bat which is incredibly good. And if you cast Fists of Fury before the gates open it will only take 1 chi to get 1-2 more stacks, so after you use 1 chi you have the potential to have 8 stacks. This is why I use this over the others. Since the mastery change we have reforged into haste which increases our energy regeneration, and with all the CC in the game we rarely have enough up time to be out of energy.

Tier 4 - Control
Ring of Peace, Charging Ox Wave, Leg Sweep. Your most common pick is probably going to be leg sweep. There is a lot of controversy on which is the best but it really comes down to what you face, how you use them, and what you prefer personally. I'll compare them here...

Charging Ox Wave: Charging Ox Wave is a ranged stun that has a travel time, for example if you paralysis someone then depending on how far you are away from who you shot the Ox at it will vary on how long it takes to be affected by the stun. You may be hesitant to using it because it only lasts 3 seconds but the way I look at it you can use it whenever you want because of its short cooldown and the fact that it is ranged. If you wanted to leg sweep the healer you'd have to get to them to use it, but with Ox wave you can maintain your uptime on them and still get the stun off and that 2 second difference is probably equal to or more than how long it would take to get to the healer and leg sweep them then get back to you target. It also is very easy to use, many people try to lead their shots but that isn't how it works. To land a stun on someone you need to use it for where they are at there current location. I have an example of how it is deceiving in this video. Excuse my lag, again I can't stream or make videos because of my terrible computer.

Leg Sweep: This is the more commonly used talent in this tier because it lasts longer and can be used for going for kills. I personally think that it really depends on you like and play. If you play a composition of something like Shadow Priest, Monk, Healer then I would recommend using this because of being able to use Devouring Plague into this stun followed out by silence. Use this one if you want to be able to lock someone down for the kill.

Conclusion: Leg sweep is usually the one to take just because of how good it is and how it lines up with Fists of Fury. It can be unreliable a lot because of lag, dodge, and parry but if you are able to get it off it is much better than ring of peace or charing ox wave.

Tier 5 - Survival
Healing Elixirs, Dampen Harm, Diffuse Magic.
After a long season I have a lot of thoughts on Healing Elixirs and Diffuse Magic. I'm not even going to talk about Dampen Harm because it is absolutely worthless.

Healing Elixirs: So for healing elixirs I have come to the conclusion it is truly based on what you face. If you are facing KFC healing elixirs will prove immensely more beneficial than Diffuse Magic for the hunter damage, it allows you to run around and self heal when you have to. I wouldn't recommend using this against dot cleaves either, just because it helps out with healing I find that a lot of the time it is off CD and just sitting there not healing you when you need it to. So I would say take this against teams that are mostly physical damage or have small magical burst damage.

Diffuse Magic: After a season of wizards and cleaves I had to swap specs a lot. For many teams I took Diffuse Magic because of how much magical damage they do. Even though you might think Healing Elixirs is better for things like LSD (Ele, Aff, Resto Druid) you're wrong. Being able to basically grant yourself immunity on a minute and a half CD for 6 seconds is incredible, although it will be a little tougher on your healer it could prevent you from having to use Touch of Karma, this means you'll have twice the major defensive cooldowns you would that if you were healing elixirs. Not to mention Healing Elixirs is often random and procs at worthless times a lot of the time. I also use this against teams like RMD (Rogue, Mage, Resto Druid) because of the high burst mages have, rogues have weak damage outside of their burst so healing elixirs will only help you when you are being bursted on which it then heals you for 15%, but if you were to use Diffuse Magic you could stop around 50 to even 60% of your entire health by taking 90% less magical damage from a mage blasting ice lances at you.

Again this tier requires you to decide what is best and you need to judge what to take yourself.

Tier 6 - Damage
Rushing Jade Wind, Invoke Xuen, the White Tiger, Chi Torpedo. A
lways Rushing Jade Wind. Xuen gets kited, long CD, breaks CC, Chi Torpedo sucks, RJW does more damage. Use it when you're bursting but don't use it so much you don't have energy.
Posted Image

First of all, to gem correctly you must know what stats you want. There are dozens of way to gem a monk based off of each and every slot and which gear you have. I'll repost the monk armories if you just want to copy one of theirs instead of experimenting to find the perfect setup on your own. Anyways, what most monks are doing now stat wise is...

Crit > Haste > Mastery. The reason of this is that when we get a critical strike we can do insane amounts of damage. Therefore, Crit is the best stat, haste is the second because our Mastery is not very good. Our mastery has a chance for us to get an extra stack of Tigereye Brew, if you were to stack mastery it would only give you a small % of getting an extra stack which isn't as good as being able to jab more if you have more haste.

Meta: Tyrannical Primal Diamond or Agile Primal Diamond

Red: Delicate Primordial Ruby

Yellow: Deadly Vermillion Onyx

Blue: Glinting Imperial Amethyst or Perfect Assassin's Roguestone

Shoulders: Greater Tiger Claw Inscription

Cloak: Swordguard Embroidery (Tailoring Only) or Enchant Cloak - Superior Critical Strike Rating

Chest: Enchant Chest - Glorious Stats

Bracers: Enchant Bracer - Greater Agility

Gloves: Enchant Gloves - Greater Haste

Legs: Shadowleather Leg Armor

Boots: Enchant Boots - Blurred Speed

Weapons: Dancing Steel and Glorius Tyranny. If you can't get 2200 for the Glorius Tyranny enchant then buy a Living Steel Weapon Chain. You should also have 3 weapons. Two with dancing steel and one with either Living Steel or Glorious Tyranny. The reason behind this is because if you face a team without disarms then the effect of those other two enchants isn't as good as the one from dancing steel.

Posted Image

Similar to gemming and enchanting, every monk has slightly different stats. But almost all of them are within a few %'s of each other. Most monks range between...

These number will change by the end of the season so try to scale it up with the new gear we get.

Hit: As close to 3% as possible.

Expertise: 6%

Critical Strike: close to 50%

Haste: 15% or higher

Mastery: 40% or less

After experimenting with 3% expertise I found that on very rare occasions healers like Paladins and Shamans can "block" a leg sweep or Spear Hand Strike which can throw off a game. So it's better to be safe than sorry so 6% expertise will make it so that doesn't happen.

Again, 3% Hit > 6% Expertise > Crit > Haste > Mastery

Posted Image

Professions can vary depending on what race you are. For example, if you are human you will be using a On-Use PvP trinket as well as an Insignia. And since you have the On-Use trinket the Synapse Springs you get from engineering wouldn't be as good because they share 10s cooldowns with each other, I'm not saying it's bad but I feel like there are other professions for human that is better than engineering. So here it is.

Humans: Tailoring + (Alchemy, Blacksmithing, Enchanting, Inscription, Jewelcrafting. [All of these give +320 Agility in some way.)

Everything Else: Engineering + (Tailoring, Alchemy, Blacksmithing, Enchanting, Inscription, Jewelcrafting. [All of these give +320 Agility in some way.)

Posted Image

I know a lot of people want to know what the absolute best way to gear, reforge, gem, talent, glyph, professions, etc. without having to go through a huge guide like this so I made this category dedicated to monks who I believe to be educated on the class and know how to personalize their monk to make it as deadly as possible. Here they are... ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted Image

I know that everybody has their own personal keybindings and I understand that it isn't likely that anyone will change based on what I have to say here but I feel like it needs to be said.

My keybinds are bound in an effective way. I have each ability bound to a great bind that allows me to do a lot of things, get places, and pop cooldowns. I'll explain after you look at this picture.

Posted Image

This picture shows how all my damaging abilities are bound to my naga. This allows me to use my QWE keybinds to move and I use my right thumb to deal all my damage. The purpose of this allows me to hit all of my damaging keybinds with being able to keep up with my target by using my strafes and move forward binds. I feel like if I had those abilities on other keybinds I would have conflict with doing damage and moving.

I also have my mobility keybinds such as roll, tiger's lust, and flying serpent kick to keybinds close to my movement binds.
This allows me to keep moving accurately towards my target while using mobility keybinds so I don't end up rolling off to the side of them.

If you're new to monk try changing your keybinds to get to your mobility binds as quick as possible and have your damaging abilities not collide with being able to move.

Posted Image

In this portion of the guide I state my personal opinions which has been altered by personal experience and the thoughts of others. If you disagree with any of my opinions in this category please post a comment on your experience with the comp on why it works and why is doesn't. Thank you.

Important Information: I believe that anything played by good enough players has the potential to get good rating. Don't be discouraged by my opinions on a comp and decide not to play it, try it out and prove me wrong if I think it isn't good. Anything is possible.

Mage: This class is one of the worst you can put with a monk on paper. Every single CC you and the mage has DRs. But surprisingly, it works quite nice, it may be because mages are so good right now or maybe the comp just works. It plays similar to warrior mage, even though warriors lack CC and their stuns DR with mages deep freeze the high damage of the two classes makes the comp work nicely. Therefore I think this comp is pretty good because monks also have high damage, you just have to be careful on who is casting polymorph and who is paralyzing what.

Diminishing Returns:
Stuns: Deep Freeze with Leg Sweep, Charging Ox Wave, and Fists of Fury.
Polymorphs / Incapacitates: Polymorph and Paralysis
Silences: Counterspell Silence with Spear Hand Strike blanket silence.
Roots: Frost Nova and Pet Freeze with Disable Root.

Rogue: This class isn't good with monks because both have lots of stuns. Rogues damage isn't very consistent if they are subtlety which most are. Their burst revolves around Shadowdance letting them stun and silence things all over. The problem they share with monks is the DR on stuns. Although, just like everything it does have potential to get rating but would be much harder than if a monk played with a better class.

Diminishing Returns:
Stuns: Cheap Shot and Kidney Shot with Leg Sweep, Charging Ox Wave, and Fists of Fury.
Silences: Garrote with Spear Hand Strike blanket silence.
Incapacitates: Sap and Gouge with Paralysis.

Priest: This is a really fun comp to play. Although it isn't a common monk comp it has great potential. Some downsides is that your priest has to be very good for it to succeed. But if you and your priest are able to connect on a target at the same time other enemies are CC'd the damage is unreal and you almost always get a cooldown.

Diminishing Returns:
Disarms: Psychic Horror with Grapple Weapon.
Silence: Silence with Spear Hand Strike blanket silence.

Warrior: Warrior monk would be a low tiered monk comp because of the things each class brings to the table. Although both classes have high amounts of damage they both lack CC. Monks work better with a cast that can provide peels and offensive CC.

Diminishing Returns:
Stuns: Shockwave, Warbringer, and Stormbolt with Leg Sweep, Charging Ox Wave, and Fists of Fury.
Disarms: Disarm and Grapple Weapon

Death Knight: Death Knights are similar to warriors in the fact that they have little CC but are very good at training. Just like warrior monk, death knight monk would have a problem of little CC allowing a healer to easily heal through the damage. This comp is viable just like everything else but isn't a top-tier monk comp.

Diminishing Returns:
Stuns: Remorseless Winter, Asphyxiate with Leg Sweep, Charging Ox Wave, and Fists of Fury.
Roots: Chains of Ice w/ Chillblains with Disable Root.

Paladin: This class just like every class is viable to a certain extent. I have yet to try this recently but I did give it a go in 5.3, although 5.3 was very bursty I am not going to let that affect my opinion on this comp. I believe this comp could work decently. The only problem this comp could have is the CC. If the paladin took Turn Evil (fear) and cast it on the healer it may prove to be the thing that DK monk or War Monk doesn't have, the extra CC. I encourage people to try this comp and let me know how it works.

Diminishing Returns:
Stuns: Hammer / Fist of Justice with Leg Sweep, Charging Ox Wave, and Fists of Fury.
Incapacitate: Repentance with Paralysis.

Warlock (Affliction): Warlocks are the best class a monk can run with this patch. The amount of CC warlocks have is so great combined with their damage it allows monks to go on whoever they want and just do as much damage as possible. A monk on a healer while a warlock is fear spamming the other 2 members with dark soul up it is very hard to heal through.

Warlock (Destro): The other viable warlock spec that Windwalkers can play with is Destruction. The comp doesn't take too much to play generally, a lot of the time the warlock is tanking damage and the monk sets up the kills, then outside of that you have double coil chaos bolt and that speaks for itself, all in all, it's a very powerful comp.

Diminishing Returns:
Stuns: Shadowfury with Leg Sweep, Charging Ox Wave, and Fists of Fury.
Warlock Pets: share DR with Spear Hand Strike blanket silence and Grapple Weapon.

Hunters: Last patch hunters were one of the best classes a monk could run with because of how the game was played. And yet again, hunters are the dominate class. This is probably the best class you can run with as a WW monk to high rating.

Diminishing Returns:
Stuns: Intimidation, Binding Shot, Pet CC, with Leg Sweep, Charging Ox Wave, and Fists of Fury.
Silences: Silencing Shot with Spear Hand Strike blanket silence
Incapacitate: Freezing Trap with Paralysis
Disarms: Snatch with Grapple Weapon

Shaman (Enh): I really haven't personally tested this comp out or seen it at high ratings so I can't vouch for its success or failure but based on what I know about enhancement shamans I would say it is a decent comp. With the right healer it could have just enough CC and sustained damage to have a chance against other high pressure comps. A full CC on a healer with ascendence up with the monk popping stacks of Tigereye brew could prove quite deadly.
Shaman (Ele): This comp is one of the higher tier WW comps because it's a shaman. Shamans are pretty hard to kill so they don't require much peels, also they have high damage output which in combination with Windwalker monks make it very deadly.

Diminishing Returns:
Stuns: Capacitor Totem with Leg Sweep, Charging Ox Wave, and Fists of Fury.
Polymorph / Incapacitate: Paralysis and Hex

Druid (Balance): Since the Balance spec is arguably one of the worst in the game you'd think that balance druids wouldn't work well with monks. I however am curious to see how it would go, I think if balance druids get a damage buff they would work extremely well with monks because of the few DRing CC's they share.
Druid (Feral): Similar to balance druids feral druids are not in a happy place. Without having instant cyclones it is very easy for to stop a feral druid from getting a cyclone off. Their damage is good but without CC ferals and monks can be healed through. The benefit of this comp would be survivability. It could be hard to kill a feral and monk if all they do is run away because of their mobility but it would be very hard to land a kill. With a good healer this comp like anything could get decent rating.

Diminishing Returns:
Stuns: Bash, and Maim with Leg Sweep, Charging Ox Wave, and Fists of Fury.
Roots: Entangling Roots with Disable Root.

Posted Image

This will category shows which comps I think are most successful.

Tier 1

Windwalker / Warlock (Destruction)

Windwalker / Hunter (All Specs)

Windwalker / Warlock (Affliction)

Windwalker / Priest (Shadow)

Windwalker / Shaman (Elemental)

Tier 2

Windwalker / Mage (Frost)

Windwalker / Paladin (Retribution)

Windwalker / Druid (Balance)

Tier 3

Windwalker / Mage (Fire)

Windwalker / Mage (Arcane)

Windwalker / Rogue (All Specs)

Windwalker / Warrior (All Specs)

Windwalker / Death Knight (All Specs)

Windwalker / Druid (Feral)

Posted Image

Zen Meditation Macro
Spoiler
Fortifying Brew + Healthstone Macro
Spoiler
Tiger's Lust Macros
Spoiler
Hand of Protection Off Macro
Spoiler
Focus Paralysis
Spoiler
Focus Disarm
Spoiler
Focus Kick
Spoiler
Touch of Karma Macro
Spoiler
Kick Macro
Spoiler
Old Paralysis Macro
Spoiler
Useful Touch of Death Macro
Spoiler
Xuen Attack Macro
Spoiler
Cancel-Aura Macro
Spoiler
Psyfiend Macro
Spoiler
Party Dispel Macros
Spoiler
Focus Storm, Earth, and Fire
Spoiler
Posted Image

Here are some extremely useful addons for WW monks.

ChiBar: This addon lets you have a chi bar that you can freely move around, make it bigger or smaller, vertical or horizontal, and many other options.

Nameplates Modifier: This basically adds a percentage to the default blizzard name plates. This is the most important macro WW monks can have because of how crucial it is to get Touch of Death off at the precise moment.
Posted Image

Everybody wants to see some WW monk PvP. Since that is hard to come by I'll link you to a couple of channels that may show some WW monk PvP, I can't guarantee that they will but here is where you might find some. I also put mine in there in case I ever stream.

www.twitch.tv/venruki
www.twitch.tv/marshmellowzx
www.twitch.tv/hoodrychx
www.twitch.tv/finalreq
www.twtich.tv/TosanTribe

www.twtich.tv/balancerexxar

_____________________________________________________________________________________

+rep

Edited by BalanceRexxar, 29 June 2014 - 04:01 AM.

#2 BalanceRexxar

BalanceRexxar
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Rexxar
  • Vengeance

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:29 AM

Posted Image

This is another thing I got asked a lot, "How do you get into RBG groups?" or "What is the point of taking a Windwalker Monk to RBG's" and there really isn't a good answer. My friends take me and there are better classes you could take over a Windwalker monk, simple as that. But I'll list what they are good at.

Flag Carrier Maps (only works as horde): Now this is the main purpose my team even considered bringing me. We have a amazing strategy to quick cap the first flag, unless the team knew we were going to do it, it was really hard to stop. What we did was have our tank sit in the lower back of mid in WSG or Twin Peaks. We had our rogue go and slow the opposing flag carrier as much as possible. And then me as monk and our mage or priest would come with me to pick up the flag. Once we did we'd either run out to the cliff on TP or the roof of tunnel in WSG and levitate or slowfall myself while I flying serpent kick across the entire mid, and if their FC did pass our rogue I would pass it to our FC, if not I would carry it myself to get a quick cap then proceed to kill their FC and we'd have a great start of the game. Now you're probably thinking, "But you can't flying serpent kick with levitate or slowfall anymore!" and you're right. But there is a way around it in a simple equation here.

No Slow-fall > Flying Serpent Kick Off Edge > Land in Midair > Receive a Slow-fall.

And this acts the same way as it did before because you'll have the speed of flying serpent kick while falling. It is quite hard to time but if you get it off it is really good.

Eye of the Storm: This strategy is similar to the one used for FC maps. At the start of a game you use the same formula,

No Slow-fall > Flying Serpent Kick Off Edge > Land in Midair > Receive a Slow-fall.

Which will most likely get you to the mid-flag and be able to pick it up before anyone can stop you. As long as they don't have a Mistweaver or Windwalker (because roll with slow-fall is faster than a mount with slow-fall) nobody should be able to stop you as long as you and your priest / mage don't mess up the formula. If you don't mess up you should inform your team that you will get it and the rest of them will go to try and get a third base. This will give you a huge lead and can essentially win the game in the opener.

Arathi Basin: This is another good battleground for monks. Monks are the best class to spin flags in my opinion because of Rushing Jade Wind or Spinning Crane Kick. You can tell your team they don't even have to spin unless you say spin just because of how impossible it is to cap with a monk spamming those abilities on the flag. Not to mention they do a significant amount of damage when you throw out 2 Storm, Earth, and Fire clones and apply Rising Sun Kick debuff to everybody. The other benefit is that monks are very good at 1v1ing other classes. You can be sent to mines and as long as it's a 1v1 you will get that base. On some occasions I have even done 1v2s in a RBG at mines and still got the flag, /flex. But honestly, you shouldn't lose a 1v1 as a monk. And another benefit of having a monk on node maps is because of their mobility. If your tank calls out he needs help at blacksmith you can very quickly roll, roll, flying serpent kick, and mount away and go help. You could even defend mines from lumbermill if you get a slow-fall or levitate with the equation I stated above. Although your damage may be low you bring a lot of utility to the game.

Temple of Kotmogu: This is a windwalker monks worst battleground. It used to be very good to be a monk in this battleground because you could flying serpent kick and roll with an orb to escape people. But ever since they nerfed it and made it so you can no longer get the speed bonus from those abilities we're literally sitting ducks in that battleground, outside of touch of karma we're just glass vases ready to be shattered. There is no reason to take a Windwalker monk over anything else in the game for this battleground. Sorry.

Silvershard Mines: This is a decent map for monks because of their mobility and capability to 1v1. You probably will want to keep them out of big fights such as the ones at water and lava carts. Since we don't have a reliable knock-back like Thunderstorm, Whiplash, or Typhoon, we can't really knock people out of the ring. Also, we don't have AoE roots like frost nova. We don't even have long AoE CC such as Howl of Terror or Ring of Frost. The best thing we could bring is a couple of stuns. We're better off sitting at the top cart defending it and 1v1ing anyone who tries to take it. If you aren't doing that you should find someone who is defending but is getting overrun to be a body in the circle.

Deepwind Gorge: The benefits of being a WW monk in this BG is similar to the ones of AB. The ability to spin flags greatly and the ability to run away and peel other bases. Other than that WW monks aren't very special for this battleground that I know of, I actually have played very little of this battlegrounds but from what I do know monks are useful for this battleground.

Battle for Gilnaes: This is a good battleground for monks because of your basic two RBG strategies. Spin flags and peel. If you get a normal capture on your closest base and go to waterworks, they will never cap unless you all die. We also can do amazing damage if we can sit at that base all game and spam our AoE. If we do get the base it is very easy for a monk to peel to another base to defend. Monks can be very useful in this battleground.

Defending Guide: As you know most classes you put on defense are classes with pets, but monks can be decently good at defending as well. We have several abilities that help us protect our base. Those abilities are...

Defending Abilities
Transcendence
Transcendence: Transfer

Invoke Xuen, the White Tiger
Storm, Earth, and Fire
Nimble Brew
Basic Trinket

So how you go about defending a base is the same for all bases. What you want to do it put your Spirit from transcendence on the flag then move at max range (40 yards) away from it, preferably line of sight of the flag but still a spot where you can see the flag to tell if someone beings to capture it. Normally a class that will ninja cap will be a rogue, mage, or hunter. Obviously the first thing you do when you encounter another person while defending by yourself is call it out to your team. With that done, you need to begin your personal process of defending. Hopefully if they open up with a sap, scatter shot into trap, or polymorph, you're far enough away where you don't have to trinket it before they capture. They may get it but you may have to take a risk not to trinket. If you do trinket your first global after that should be Invoke Xuen, the White Tiger. If they try to CC you again your tiger will be able to hit then and stop them from capping. This tiger lasts 45 seconds so they shouldn't be able to capture it for that amount of time because Xuen is immune to a lot of CC. And if your teammates haven't come to help by then you should remove all of them from friends and leave the battleground. But! If Xuen is on cooldown for some reason the alternative is Storm, Earth, and Fire. It acts similar to Xuen but can be killed quickly or will disappear if feared or rooted. And if you're trinket is on cooldown you should ask a teammate to stay with you until it is back up. But, if they do begin capturing while you're feared you can always use Nimble Brew to get out.

Pro-Tips for Certain Bases:
Mines (AB): At this base when you put your portal on the flag you can run up to the top of the roof on the mines and still be in range to port but this makes it impossible for a rogue to sap cap or a mage to poly cap. It basically makes it so you don't have to trinket the first CC they do to you.
Stables (AB): At this base you can run behind the actual stables with your port on or next to the flag and be line of sight so the first CC on your when someone goes to ninja cap you shouldn't have to trinket unless it is a 1v2. But if it is a 1v2 you probably will then proceed to follow the steps on the main portion of defending I wrote above.
Blacksmith (AB): At blacksmith you do the same thing as you do at other bases with houses, you put your portal down on the flag, run LoS inside the building but position your camera so you can still see the flag.
Farm (AB): At farm you do the same thing as you do at other bases with houses, you put your portal down on the flag, run LoS inside the building but position your camera so you can still see the flag. Another unique thing about farm is there are little critters at the farm, either chicken or rats depending on what faction you are, a great thing about this is that you can keep Provoking them to keep you in combat to avoid being Sapped.
Lighthouse (B4G): This base you can put your portal on the flag then run inside the building and position yourself so your camera zooms out of the door and you can still see the flag but your character is line of sight inside the building also making yourself in a good spot where they can't capture the flag on the first CC. But if it is a 1v2 you probably will then proceed to follow the steps on the main portion of defending I wrote above.
Waterworks (B4G): Do the same thing you do at Lighthouse but in one of the other two buildings at this base.

Edited by BalanceRexxar, 22 June 2014 - 09:45 PM.

#3 augiddin

augiddin
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Turalyon
  • Stormstrike
  • 2v2: 1356
  • 3v3: 2081
  • 5v5: 1152
  • RBG: 1914

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:49 AM

Handy tip is you can macro cancel auras into fof because generally it will be a better bind and as long as you are holding a movement key it won't go off, also party tiger's lust and rop macros are nice to have. One last thing is you might want to go over use of transcendence since it is generally underutilized by most monks.

#4 BalanceRexxar

BalanceRexxar
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Rexxar
  • Vengeance

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:02 AM

View Postaugiddin, on 21 June 2013 - 02:49 AM, said:

Handy tip is you can macro cancel auras into fof because generally it will be a better bind and as long as you are holding a movement key it won't go off, also party tiger's lust and rop macros are nice to have. One last thing is you might want to go over use of transcendence since it is generally underutilized by most monks.

thanks man, the auras in fof is just preference, I just have excessive binds so I use it on them just because and I got the tigers lust macros in there but I deleted my ring of peace macros because as of now there isn't 1 instance where i would take ring of peace over leg sweep or charging ox wave. And I can put transcendence in there, it's pretty standard tho put it down at start of game, put orbs on it, etc. I'll put it in just in case some people dont know about it but most do.

Edited by BalanceRexxar, 21 June 2013 - 03:06 AM.

#5 Udderly

Udderly
  • Members
  • Trollclass_name
  • US-Kil'jaeden
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents:
  • RBG: 1918

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:18 AM

Thanks for the shoutout, glad you enjoyed the other guide =)

#6 BalanceRexxar

BalanceRexxar
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Rexxar
  • Vengeance

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:31 AM

View PostUdderly, on 21 June 2013 - 03:18 AM, said:

Thanks for the shoutout, glad you enjoyed the other guide =)

np man, no way I could have made this without your guide as a guide for my guide? Guideception.

#7 Udderly

Udderly
  • Members
  • Trollclass_name
  • US-Kil'jaeden
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents:
  • RBG: 1918

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:59 AM

View PostBalanceRexxar, on 21 June 2013 - 03:31 AM, said:

np man, no way I could have made this without your guide as a guide for my guide? Guideception.

Ha nice.  Just a quick note (I play WW as an alt actually).  Hoodrych turned me on to using Ox, now that peace isn't so great and I have to say he was right that it's pretty awesome.  I still like having leg sweep for things like hunter/demo zoo or melee cleaves, but having the ability to follow up a para with the range stun is great, and its also useful for catching someone when roll is down.  And if you aim it right, you can have it go through a melee and then hit the healer as it heads out.  The thing that kept me away from it at first was that I figured I would never be able to aim it, but as Hood pointed out it has a pretty wide space for hitting a target.

Great guide though, I just learned a few tricks I'm definitely gonna try!

#8 Scottjackson

Scottjackson
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Rexxar
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Shadow 0/0/2/2/2/2
  • RBG: 2066

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:47 AM

great guide + rep

#9 Covlol

Covlol
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Fury 0/2/1/2/2/2
  • 2v2: 1609
  • 3v3: 2413
  • 5v5: 2261
  • RBG: 1787

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:50 AM

Very well thought out and done guide. I have been playing monk for a little bit since I came back to the game, it is an extremely well built class imo and super fun.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Lvl 1 Dk Legend Covlol

#10 Catalystics

Catalystics
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Rexxar
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Holy 2/0/1/1/1/1

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:05 AM

Excellent Guide My level 91 Monk is going to do so well in PVP

#11 classics

classics
  • Junkies
  • Goblinclass_name
  • US-Rexxar
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Restoration 0/1/1/1/0/0
  • RBG: 2079

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:12 AM

Great post, + rep

#12 skendy

skendy
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Rexxar
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Destruction 1/1/0/0/0/1
  • RBG: 2043

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:51 AM

Good guide man, post it on the wow forums too. Rep'd.

#13 Marshmellow

Marshmellow
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-The Forgotten Coast
  • Whirlwind
  • 2v2: 2026
  • 3v3: 2348
  • RBG: 960

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:29 AM

very well done guide again +rep

#14 Celaurthor

Celaurthor
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Arthas
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Mistweaver 1/0/2/0/0/1
  • 2v2: 1682
  • 3v3: 2047
  • 5v5: 672
  • RBG: 1149

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:58 AM

I played demo/ww/rsham at the end of 5.2 start of 5.3 to around 2350. Demo works really well with it aswell.

#15 BalanceRexxar

BalanceRexxar
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Rexxar
  • Vengeance

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:19 PM

View PostCelaurthor, on 21 June 2013 - 08:58 AM, said:

I played demo/ww/rsham at the end of 5.2 start of 5.3 to around 2350. Demo works really well with it aswell.

Thanks for the info man, if you can tell me some more on why it works so well and the pros and cons I'll add it to the guide.

#16 Machmaplatz

Machmaplatz
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Windwalker 1/0/1/2/2/1
  • RBG: 1462

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:03 PM

cant give enough rep to you man .... thank you so much

#17 BalanceRexxar

BalanceRexxar
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Rexxar
  • Vengeance

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:25 AM

View PostMachmaplatz, on 23 June 2013 - 09:03 PM, said:

cant give enough rep to you man .... thank you so much

no problem, glad you liked it :)

#18 Persephones

Persephones
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Argent Dawn
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • Talents: Affliction 0/0/1/2/0/1
  • RBG: 2123
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:04 AM

zomg such a bad idea to let non glads post in class forums etc etc

good job dude, didnt read it all but it looks awesome!

View PostBraindance, on 22 June 2013 - 07:05 AM, said:

The current season is at a very good spot balance-wise. There is a comp variety that hasn't been seen in the game since s8.

#19 BalanceRexxar

BalanceRexxar
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Rexxar
  • Vengeance

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:32 PM

View PostPersephones, on 24 June 2013 - 07:04 AM, said:

zomg such a bad idea to let non glads post in class forums etc etc

good job dude, didnt read it all but it looks awesome!

thanks

#20 Muhwington

Muhwington
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Frostwolf
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Discipline 2/1/0/1/2/1
  • 2v2: 1636
  • 3v3: 1828
  • RBG: 575

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:45 PM

Weapon chain or 2x dancing Steel? What do you prefer?

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users

<