• Curse Sites
Help

How fun/complex are feral druids? (High skillcap or faceroll?)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Cohdeo

Cohdeo
  • Members

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:57 PM

I haven't played in a couple of years and am deciding between feral druid and enhance shaman. I don't care about being OP, I just want to know if ferals require skill to play at a high level or are they simple and mindless to play.

#2 Creamo

Creamo
  • Junkies
  • Trollclass_name
  • US-Frostmane
  • Reckoning
  • Talents: Balance 1/0/2/2/1/0

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:41 AM

Didn't you make this in the shaman forum too?

#3 SiameseKorgath

SiameseKorgath
  • Members

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:48 PM

Now you see, I hate it when people even mark feral druids as "OP" or "easy to play"
Yes i know we are mostly a dot class and we just bleed you up and run, we have awesome defensive systems and we can off heal because we are a support class.
Now, the feral druids i see that call themself OP are out in elewynn forest dueling mages and warriors and their teams are a sub 1800, not only that, pop every cd and not even think "has the monk used karma yet" or "the ret boped all my bleeds off, maybe i should re-apply bleeds"
When you see a actual decent feral, they dont have to use beserk/hotw/Survival Instincts in duels, not because they are OP... because they played their cards right.
Ferals in arena are a different story, i am most constantly watching Priests so i can call out fear bombs, even when i see the hunter about to trap my healer i call it out.
When im out of cooldowns like survival instincts/barkskin/ursols/incarn i like to play defensive until one comes back, ive noticed when i go back out and they make a switch i get chunked real hard. so dont play aggressive without an escape, ferals are an easy dead target without anything.
But since im saying this, your going "well yeah siamese, if you have no defensives you're gonna die"
Almost every feral i see goes back out and is an easy target so im sorry i had to bring it up, i just dont see any ferals waiting for barkskin to go back out and play aggresive to have something if they swap you. just LoS play it safe.

Id also like to say, play ALOT of Bgs, and practice watching cooldowns so you can bear form HoJ's and Kidneys/Dances Its a real big difference.

#4 Wallirik

Wallirik
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Ravencrest
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Affliction 0/2/0/2/2/0
  • 2v2: 2221
  • 3v3: 3005
  • 5v5: 2507
  • RBG: 2499

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:05 PM

Feral is fun to play I think, and there's definitely a huge difference between a bad and a good feral, however the difference is smaller if you play cleave comps where you only train 1 target and kill them during cds.
Also they're very op.

#5 SiameseKorgath

SiameseKorgath
  • Members

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:09 PM

View PostWallirik, on 12 July 2013 - 03:05 PM, said:

Also they're very op.

MY JIMMIES D:

#6 ohnoes

ohnoes
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Assassination 2/1/1/1/0/2
  • RBG: 2113

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:15 PM

complex and feral in the same sentence, lol

#7 Izirak

Izirak
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Feral 2/0/2/1/2/0
  • RBG: 2106
  • LocationGA

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:35 PM

Ferals honestly have a pretty high skill cap. It's Less now than last patch, but more in the next patch. We are actually REALLY OP right now thanks to treants.

The dude who started this thread has made these like 8 times now lol.

#8 Gekz

Gekz
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Discipline 1/1/0/1/2/1
  • 2v2: 1734
  • 3v3: 2602
  • RBG: 2036

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:06 PM

There's a lot you can do to be an amazing feral druid. There's little you need to do to be a successful feral druid.

#9 Prolifics

Prolifics
  • Junkies
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Illidan
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Feral 2/2/1/1/2/.
  • RBG: 575

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:53 PM

Although I much agree with people saying that there is a definite difference between a good and bad feral druid... Playing a feral druid good is a LOT easier than playing, per-say a rogue good. Playing a Rogue well makes playing a feral druid look like grade 1 math class. In terms of skill-cap, the two are not even close to the same universe. Most feral druids would probably suffer a stroke or brain aneurism if they tried playing rogue.

#10 ysnakewoo

ysnakewoo
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Argent Dawn
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • Talents: Discipline 1/0/1/1/2/1
  • LocationBosnia and Herzegovina

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:58 PM

For me, personally, Ferals are boring to play, simply because it's just a mash of buttons in 3-4 seconds then you strafe left and right because you can't do jackshit. Unless you're bursting ofc.

However, that's only my personal preference, I like having a huge resource pool ^^
I'm not useless, I can be used as a bad example.

#11 nXile

nXile
  • Members

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:41 PM

You have to remember that a druid's spellbook is divided up between 3 forms, so it doesn't seem like you have a ton of things to micro manage when you're sitting in cat form. I think this is what makes most people see them as "easy."

Perhaps it is fairly easy to do well with a feral in the game's current state, but since you are talking about skill cap, I will say that there is a pretty huge skill gap between a good druid and a great druid. Knowing how to use all of your spells in all of your forms effectively is what makes the difference. I personally, am not capable of doing that yet, but the best druids that I see around have mastered it.

If you're trying to choose between a druid and a shaman you should really worry less about skill cap and more about whether you like the idea of forms. IMO that is what is really going to make or break the class for you.

#12 Neverever

Neverever
  • Members

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:33 PM

Well the answer is both.

Ferals have the luxury of having a low skillfloor and a high skillcap, much like mages.

Since your cc/utility toolkit is so broad and you have 3 or 4 great defensive cds combined with the highest levels and most retard friendly forms of unpeelability in the game, you are both capable of succeeding at the same level as another class just by using half of what you have properly and also of being extremely potent vs. good players who should be bringing everything out of you.

But most importantly, since you can spam out of roots AND snares without a cd, you have to think much less about how and when you use every other ability in your arsenal compared to all other melees. Forethought and planning is much less critical to a feral's success.

The biggest difference between good and bad players of melee classes has always been how much pressure they can put out and the way the feral resource and dmg buff system works atm makes this suitably challenging to maintain good pressure throughout a game.

And to the people saying that rogue is much more complicated to play than feral - it's really just a case of what aspects of the game/class playstyles you find easy to execute. Look what happened when Reckful tried to play feral. He looked like a moron (intentionally maybe for viewers, idk).

When the cyclone changes go through for 5.4, ferals will have to both deal with the difficulties inherent in playing a melee vs. a caster whilst also having to cast their cc. This is a lot harder than throwing out instant blinds or having a retard proof 3 sec vanish immunity. Conversely, taking a 15 energy cost burst of speed is going to make rogues much more retard friendly when it comes to mobility just like ferals whilst they are also getting a mongoloidal 100% evasion. So it's a case of apples and oranges really with classes. Except for hunters who are just bananas.

If you really want to play a class that is both difficult and rewarding, play a ww monk.

Also, I think these kinds of posts should probably be in the Ask a Gladiator section. I'm not sure, but I think even on mmo champion they don't allow what kind of class should I play threads.

View PostDizzeeyo, on 16 July 2013 - 12:28 AM, said:

id love to be playing the same game as you where hunters and ferals are the biggest counters to mages

#13 Silhin

Silhin
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Frost 2/2/2/2/0/2
  • RBG: 1961

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:35 PM

View PostSiameseKorgath, on 12 July 2013 - 02:48 PM, said:

Now you see, I hate it when people even mark feral druids as "OP" or "easy to play"
Yes i know we are mostly a dot class and we just bleed you up and run, we have awesome defensive systems and we can off heal because we are a support class.
Now, the feral druids i see that call themself OP are out in elewynn forest dueling mages and warriors and their teams are a sub 1800, not only that, pop every cd and not even think "has the monk used karma yet" or "the ret boped all my bleeds off, maybe i should re-apply bleeds"
When you see a actual decent feral, they dont have to use beserk/hotw/Survival Instincts in duels, not because they are OP... because they played their cards right.
Ferals in arena are a different story, i am most constantly watching Priests so i can call out fear bombs, even when i see the hunter about to trap my healer i call it out.
When im out of cooldowns like survival instincts/barkskin/ursols/incarn i like to play defensive until one comes back, ive noticed when i go back out and they make a switch i get chunked real hard. so dont play aggressive without an escape, ferals are an easy dead target without anything.
But since im saying this, your going "well yeah siamese, if you have no defensives you're gonna die"
Almost every feral i see goes back out and is an easy target so im sorry i had to bring it up, i just dont see any ferals waiting for barkskin to go back out and play aggresive to have something if they swap you. just LoS play it safe.

Id also like to say, play ALOT of Bgs, and practice watching cooldowns so you can bear form HoJ's and Kidneys/Dances Its a real big difference.

So what i read is

1. Crappy druids pop all there Cds and win
2. Good druids win without using any cooldowns
3. Druid can die if Switched on and Don't have any defensive cooldowns up

So basically new feral wait for barkskin and youll live and u don't need cool downs to kill someone (if u play your cards right LOL?)
Rank1 Advice here thx now iam rdy for feral gameplay

#14 Yubel

Yubel

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:34 AM

This is my friend's first season as feral and he's 2500.

You tell me.
Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<