• Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Restoration 0/2/0/1/0/0
  • 2v2: 959
  • RBG: 2342

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:03 PM

TL:DR: I think gemming crit may be very viable or the best way to gem in arena for resto shamans right now. While it is an RNG stat, the more you have to cast (which is more often in 5.3) the better the stat is, it can more than make up for the buffed version of battle fatigue, it is great for mana, it can be the difference between 1 healing surge topping someone or 3 healing surge topping someone, and since tidal waves gives healing surge a 30% crit chance, a 20% crit "breakpoint" sounds and feels very effective.

I took some time just messing around looking at loose and bad numbers casually trying to figure out an optimal way to gem as a healer in arena, and more specifically a restoration shaman since resilience was prioritized so heavily in 5.2, prior to all of the changes. I decided I would ramble a little about what I discovered and thought in order to gather opinions and/or help anyone else with their decisions regarding gems (and also because I was bored and couldn't sleep D: ). Most of what I post here is meant for shamans, but some of it can be applied to other healing classes.

RESILIENCE:

Prior to 5.3, resilience, for restoration shamans especially, was top stat priority in arena because shaman healing output and mana were both potent enough without gems, and shamans are so often trained while of course being locked down. Since the patch, everyone has a base of 65% resilience, up from something like a 40% base; resilience gems have half the stats that they did prior to the patch; and gear no longer provides resilience as a base stat.

In 5.2, my shaman was at about 69% resilience, using 320 Resil gems in every socket (including blacksmithing sockets) save for two red sockets where I used the "JC ONLY" willful gems (160 int and 320 resil). Without changing anything, logging in after 5.3's release, I found myself at something like 68.7% resilience.

For now, I still consider gemming full resilience an option as an optimal choice. I have a lack of 3's experience since the patch (I've only been playing two different comps and not enough games), so I am not sure how often shamans are just getting trained, gibbed, and whether or not resilience "feels" effective, after all that is what is most important.

It would make sense for the value of resilience gemming to have greatly declined since, like stated above, the gems give less stats, the new base resilience, and even because 1 point of resilience seems to provide less damage reduction than before (probably due to diminishing returns or some other random mumbojumbo). The biggest reason resilience may not be so good anymore is because, obviously, healing was nerfed quite a bit, and gemming full resilience may render shamans unable to top their team, or even themselves after surviving a stunlock or deep -> blanket. I think you gain something like 9ish % actual damage reduction from gemming full resilience with blacksmithing and JC with full gear (assuming you don't use old resil trinkets or something) and so if that number does not make or break you surviving a deep or not, and if you gain more than that 9ish % in healing output gemming otherwise, it may be much better to do so.

INTELLECT / PVP POWER:

Intellect definitely seems a lot stronger than PvP power for restoration shamans. With some round numbers and a little bit of testing, after 5.3 PvP power seems to provide a little less than a third of the healing power bonus of intellect for shamans (that doesn't even include mail specialization). If one of the two was optimal, it seems that it would definitely be intellect.

I played with not the most accurate numbers but just some "in the ball park" testing in a bg without having battle fatigue, and while healing myself:

(averages)
4,734 Riptide Hit, No Gear

5,129 Riptide Hit, +847 Intellect

4,778 Riptide Hit, +346 Pvp Power

847 intellect = +359 Healing (7.58% Increase)
346 Pvp Power = +44 Healing  (.92% Increase) (listed as .87% increase)

847 / 346 = 2.4   2.4 x 44 = 105.6

PvP Power gems have 160 stats on them, the same as intellect so they need to be considered on a 1 to 1 ratio.

847 intellect gives around 359 extra healing, while 847 PvP Power gives around 106 healing, under a third of its competitor (and that's without mail specialization or considering the critical chance gain).

I tested to make sure there is not any type of increasing returns for PvP power, and I did not find any (by equipping items individually then equipping them all together, finding I was only receiving the proper sum of the PVP power on the individual items.

Gemming full intellect, however, doesn't seem to make up for the reduced healing we now do. From gemming full resilience to gemming full intellect, my riptides seemed to gain an additional 3k healing on their initial hits, on average, inside of arena. Not only are these numbers just weak, but it also "feels" like little-to-no change at all in an actual match. So far I really don't think gemming full intellect is one of the stronger choices for restoration shamans right now.

I used some old VODS of my shaman healing prior to 5.3 in order to compare some things. I was originally wondering if it would be possible to increase spell power enough to make up for the extra 15% reduced healing we now do due to battle fatigue. I mostly was looking at riptide initial hits in order to compare this:

22,050 was what I was hitting on riptides in 3s during 5.2. Without the 30% reduction, I found this riptide hit should be around 31.5k instead, and with a 45% reduction from that (the new battle fatigue) riptides would be hitting for 17,325 (with no gear change at all).

17,325 (45% Battle Fatigue)
22,050 (30% Battle Fatigue)

4,725 decrease in healing from riptide initial hits due to battle fatigue buff.

So at 31,500ish riptides, I would receive 22,050 before the patch. My goal / hopes were to be able to reach a 15% healing gain from gemming full int, allowing me to reach 22,050 average riptide initial hits after the 15% fatigue buff, meaning that I would need to now gain 40,090 riptide initial hits, outside of arena, in order to make up for the difference.

40,090=x
31,500=old x

GOAL= +8590 HEALING

I converted the healing into an amount of intellect I would need, roughly using a ratio I found in earlier tests between +intellect and +healing to riptide initial ticks.

847 intellect = +359 Healing (7.58% Increase)

847 / 359 = x / 8590

8590(847) = 359x

20,267 Intellect Goal (- 5% for mail specialization)

I found that I had jade spirit procced during the VOD I was basing everything off of.

20,267 Intellect (- 5%)

-1,650 For Power torrent

18,667 (-5% [mail spec])

Needed to incorporate the increase from PvP Power Change

11,260 PvP Power
264.94 PvP Power = 1%

50% = 5,630
+21.25% Healing vs. 30% Battle Fatigue
Net Healing = -8.75%

100% = 11,260
+42.5% Healing vs. 45% Battle Fatigue
Net Healing = -2.5%

6.25% increase in healing since 5.2 after fatigues

18,667 (-5%) (-6.25% increase)

I determined that I was attempting to gain a 21.4% increase in riptide's initial hit in order to get to the 40,090 riptide, or 8,590 extra healing. Then I found, that the a 6.25% gain in healing (like the pvp power buff seemed to provide) converted to something around 2509 intellect.

But after taking out the PvP power gain, power torrent, what gemming intellect in every socket would provide, re enchanting the chest to int, and even mail specialization I would be far from making up for the new extra 15% healing reduction provided by battle fatigue.

MASTERY:

I have not fiddled with going full mastery very much at all thus far. It has always had its diminishing values in healing output (compared to other secondary stat values) at anywhere from 45-55%, which is easily obtainable in PvP gear, but I want to say that it feels essential to keep teammates hovering at higher percentages now, since it is much more difficult to top them due to the battle fatigue buff. This obviously diminishes the value of mastery for shamans even more.

The diminishing value of mastery in throughput has been a confusing subject in the resto shaman world. There is no magical drop in what mastery gives you at anything around 50% mastery. The diminishing returns of mastery begin at 1%, but the ~50% "cap" for mastery comes from the comparison of the value of mastery to the value of crit. Since mastery for shamans is based off health percentages, and crit's value is based off of overhealing and spell choice, it's difficult to give a definite answer of where these two cross, aside from specific cases. According to Elitist Jerks, at 50% mastery, 100 mastery is stronger than 100 crit in healing throughput when the target is at or below 46.7% hp. This is based off the formula: % Healing Increase = (-1 x Max Deep Healing % x HP of target) + (Max Deep healing %). At 1 hp, the target receives full mastery benefit, at 70% the target receives 30% of the max mastery benefit, at 30% the target receives 70% of the mastery benefit.

healing % Increase = (-1 x 50 x 46.7%) + (50)

26.65%

This is where crit is weighed slightly less valuable than mastery.

Right now I am running at a 56.03% mastery.

healing % Increase = (-1 x 56.03 x 46.7%) + (56.03)

29.83%

With 6% mastery gain there was about a 3.2% healing increase.

Grace of air 15% (3000 Mastery)

15% = 3000

320 mastery x 12 gem sockets + 2 160 point gain (jc) = 320 x 13 = 4160

3000 / 15 = 4160 / x

3000x = 15(4160)

20.8 = x

76.83% mastery gemmed full mastery without diminishing returns or reforging.

healing % increase = (-1 x 76.83 x 46.7%) + (76.83)

40.93% healing @ 46.7% hp with 76.83% mastery, an 11.1% healing gain from gems.

If gaining 100 crit is worse than mastery when mastery provides a 26.65% healing increase...

26.65% healing increase = (-1 x 76.83 x H ) + (76.83) ; where H is hp %

26.65 - 76.83 = -76.83H

50.18 = 76.83H

65.3% HP = H

Healing % increase = (-1 x 76.83 x 65.3%) + (76.83)

around 26.65% increase

at 76.83% Mastery, 100 mastery slightly outvalues 100 crit at around 65% HP.

In a healing throughput standpoint, gemming full mastery provides a little more than an 11% healing increase to a resto shaman with no previous mastery gems, and reforged stats primarily spent into critical chance. Simply compared to intellect in healing throughput, gemming mastery is weaker than the 17ish % healing increase full int gems can potentially provide.

HASTE:

Haste seems very weak for restoration shamans in arena right now, as it has for a while. It's only taken advantage of when there is a lot of casting going on, and when breakpoints for HoTs and totems are reached. I am pretty sure that there aren't any haste breakpoints easy enough to get or worth it in PvP gear, and since mana seems to be a slight issue since 5.3, a stat that will increase how much mana you spend (by increasing the number of spells you cast) doesn't seem optimal.

Looking at some of the haste breakpoints, the only ones I believe you could reliably reach in PVP gear are the extra ticks for healing rain, earthliving, and healingtide/healing stream. The strongest of these seems to be healing tide and stream, however not only are these breakpoints affected by latency factors, but they also diminish in value because not every single tick the totem makes is actual healing in arena. Often, there is much of it regarded as overhealing, especially healing tide.

SPIRIT:

Since 5.3, mana does seem to be a slight issue for shamans in arena since we have to cast a lot more (whereas last patch shamans seemed to never suffer mana-wise at all); so obviously a mana return stat is pretty potent. From playing resilience in 3v3 a while this patch, there were a lot of situations that felt strenuous on my mana. I never seemed to just completely oom, but I was not able to freely purge or keep things like mages as clean as I normally would prior to 5.3. I did not give it a try, but I think that gemming with a mix of spirit or maybe even full spirit could be very strong. This would mean a lot more casting compared to last patch, which is really kind of unavoidable right now even with healing output-increasing stats, but the mana regeneration could possibly make up for the extra casting, and allow us to continue freely purging down targets without having to drink.

CRIT:

After the few games and comps I did get to test things in, I found crit to be my favorite stat thus far. First off, crit provides shamans quite a bit of mana return due to resurgence (even almost as much mp5 as spirit when spamming the spells healing wave and greater healing wave). Also, crit heals are 100% stronger than non-crit heals, and crit provides 30% more throughput to shamans due to ancestral awakening. With crit gems and some reforging, it is possible to get to and even pass 20% crit chance. The reason this number is so nice for shamans is because tidal waves provides a 30% crit chance to healing surge, meaning that with tidal waves and 20% base crit, healing surge has a 50% chance to crit.

Crit is great  for mana, not only because of resurgence, but also because a crit can mean the difference between casting 1 healing surge or three in 5.3; whereas intellect and other stats do not seem to have the capability to do (casting less also means more time to cc, adjust positioning, purge, etc).

I think crit could be the strongest stat to gem for shamans now because of a weakness resilience seems to have, and because of a potency shaman heals seem to lack. Even for heals outside of healing surges, a crit will more than make up for the battle fatigue increase, where as intellect, pvp power, and mastery gems do not seem to.

Currently I am playing around with the set up, but I amgemmed almost full crit, reforged into it enough to reach 20.03% crit chance, and I am also reforged a bit into mastery. I have not tried going all out crit everywhere, and I am not sure whether or not I would like going over the 20% "crit breakpoint" for healing surge. It may even be more optimal to reforge fully into crit and allow for a few int, spirit, or resil gems after the 20% crit; but anyway, with the crit I have picked up things look and feel very bright thus far.

edit: added tl;dr and a few "loose" numbers I was playing with in regards to some of the stat values.

Edited by Votlol, 01 June 2013 - 11:03 AM.

#2 Drona

Drona
  • Premium Junkies
  • Curse Premium
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Elemental 0/1/2/2/0/2
  • RBG: 1530

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:32 PM

On a mobile device so I'll keep this relatively short:

Thanks for the insight on what you've found so far, you've made some interesting points. I've not played a lot of shaman since the patch yet, so my ideas will be purely theoretical. I probably will be going for full (or close to full) resi gem-wise. As for throughput, I'll be making it up by using the lei shen lfr trinket I've recently acquired. The passive intellect gives a really large throughput boost and the procc scales relatively well with spell power and should be giving me around 50k heals (while being relatively predictable by tracking stacks of the buff). I'm obviously going to still use my battle masters when playing with warlocks or against comps that are going to cleave me hard, but when I know I'm going to need heavy throughput and fast games, the lfr trinkets seem like a very valuable option.
While I'm using the lei Shen trinket, I'm going to go and see if I can get myself one of the mp5/spirit ones as well (to use against comps where I know I might have mana issues, to make up go heavy resil gemming).

I think the minimal spirit we lose from giving up a battlemasters for a pve trinket (be it throughput or regen) is a very valuable trade while keeping up a relatively large amount of survivability through resil gemming. Obviously, I'll only be sure about this once I've messed around with it a bit in 3s.

Interested to hear more thoughts!
Posted Image

#3 Gunther

Gunther
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Drenden
  • Emberstorm
  • Talents: Shadow 2/2/0/1/2/2
  • RBG: 1150

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:54 PM

Nice post, well written. Could use a TLDR; and some first hand experience and/or some math to back up the stat weighting.

Played 20 or so 3's last night and we lost 2 games due to pressure leading to me oom and unable to healing surge spam when it was most needed, and only 1 game monogoloid dk damage. Still felt like burst is lower all around, and mana issues have spiked (as you mentioned its harder than ever to top allies off). I'll be rolling int>spi>mas for the time being unless I find some solid evidence as to why crit or haste or pvppow or resil would outweigh any of those three.

#4 dnaiel

dnaiel
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Holy 0/1/0/1/0/0
  • 2v2: 1673
  • RBG: 1532
  • LocationNL

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:27 PM

I don't know about gemming full crit. Intellect also gives a nice amount of crit and higher healing overall. All I know is that going full mastery is not worth it. If you crit a healing surge with unleash you will top someone anyway whether you have 80% mastery or 50% mastery. I'm gemming int atm, aiming for ~50% mastery and reforging the rest into crit. Ending up around 16% crit and 27.4k spellpower selfbuffed.
How much spellpower and crit can you get when going for crit gems?

#5 Votlol

Votlol
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:18 PM

The more and more I play it I the crit even more. One problem with trying to figure out what is best is that it's really difficult to just "weigh the stats" in PVP healing. Yes, you can put some values on the stats (as mentioned on the original post I did when I was checking everything out, although they were really, really loose, round numbers), but this is because you aren't able to chain free cast in PvP, even in an optimal situation it's not what you are planning for.

While intellect is more than likely more of a healing throughput stat compared to the other stats, we are not necessarily trying to gain more healing throughput. I, personally, don't want to have to spam cast too much more than I did last patch, obviously weakening me to CC more, limiting my positioning, limiting my offensive play, and possibly limiting my defensive control.

This is what makes me think / feel as though crit is very strong right now. Crit heals more than make up for the battle fatigue, and without crits, regardless of using intellect, pvp power, mastery, or whatever, it won't change whether our heals 1-2-heal-top someone instead of 3-4. It makes a lot of sense to me that especially since you can reach 50% crit with healing surge, the 100% healing gain you receive from crit heals feels just as strong as before, and more than enough to overcome the buffed battle fatigue, even without gaining much healing power.

But yes intellect gives crit but off the top of my head it's something like 2.5k intellect gives 1% of crit, which doesn't seem that bad.

On the shaman that I am currently gemmed almost full crit, I havn't reforged completely into crit, which I think I will do (so that means reforging a little more out of mastery), and instead I think I am going to try sticking around the 20% crit, so that means I will drop some crit gems for either INT or RESIL probably. Currently, though, I am at 20.03% crit with 22.4k spell power.

But remember that spell power is weaker because of the 45% reduce healing from battle fatigue, whereas crit chance isn't affected by this debuff at all. So while it may be easy to gain 5k spell power by gemming int, after fatigue and everything I'm not sure I like it better than crit.

#6 dnaiel

dnaiel
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Holy 0/1/0/1/0/0
  • 2v2: 1673
  • RBG: 1532
  • LocationNL

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:57 PM

I'm gonna give it a try. Can you link me your armory?

#7 Votlol

Votlol
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:21 PM

http://us.battle.net...<br /> <br /> This is the only shaman I have been trying crit on thus far, but like I said earlier I am not sure whether it would be better to reforge more crit, and gem something else, or get the maximum amount of crit possible with reforging and gemming (which would obviously go over this 20% number I like so far); so it may take some experimenting and I doubt that the way I have everything set up right now is optimum so beware :D.

#8 Drcooperphd

Drcooperphd
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Elemental 1/1/2/2/0/2
  • RBG: 1152

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:15 AM

I'd really appreciate it if you could expand / maybe some evidence for this point "has always had its diminishing values in healing output at anywhere from 45-55%,"

Speaking purely in terms of output my understanding of Elitist Jerk's maths is that if a target is below 46% health, 100 mastery is stronger than 100 crit, not taking into account the mana back and resurgence. Mana I don't find as a problem whatsoever, and resurgence is too RNG for my liking for me to fully appreciate it's value.

Nice guide however.

#9 Bidj

Bidj
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Archimonde
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • Talents: Blood 0/1/0/0/2/2
  • RBG: 2188

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:03 AM

View PostDrcooperphd, on 31 May 2013 - 01:15 AM, said:

I'd really appreciate it if you could expand / maybe some evidence for this point "has always had its diminishing values in healing output at anywhere from 45-55%,"

Speaking purely in terms of output my understanding of Elitist Jerk's maths is that if a target is below 46% health, 100 mastery is stronger than 100 crit, not taking into account the mana back and resurgence. Mana I don't find as a problem whatsoever, and resurgence is too RNG for my liking for me to fully appreciate it's value.

Nice guide however.

Interested in this too.

#10 thumpiex

thumpiex
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Ravencrest
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Enhancement 0/2/1/1/0/0
  • 2v2: 2051
  • 3v3: 2200
  • 5v5: 1055
  • RBG: 1341

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:50 AM

only tried crit once so far in mop seemed ok i think ill give it another try but not 20% just the reforge i managed to get roughly 69% resiliance again with the meta gem (Tyrannical primal diamond) gemming Resi/spirit i am also JC and BS so got a fair amount of resi i think i will soon try go something else as i am not really getting trained in arena its mostly trying to heal vs ret hunter :< struggling to top my team mates vs that without cooldowns.

#11 thumpiex

thumpiex
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Ravencrest
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Enhancement 0/2/1/1/0/0
  • 2v2: 2051
  • 3v3: 2200
  • 5v5: 1055
  • RBG: 1341

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:52 AM

i also dont find mana a problem really running with 9.4k at the moment everything else i am reforging into crit/mastery. cheers for the post though! :)

#12 Isumi

Isumi
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Aegwynn
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Elemental 0/1/0/2/0/0
  • 2v2: 2123
  • 3v3: 2847
  • 5v5: 1620
  • RBG: 2188

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:45 PM

still don't sure what to gem, anybody did some math what's the best for healing output?

#13 ripprape93

ripprape93
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Restoration 1/0/2/1/0/0
  • RBG: 576

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:47 PM

resto sham gemming crit
#downs

you do know that your playing based off rng? gem intel and reforge some crit is much more consistent, but you do only play kfc.

Edited by ripprape93, 31 May 2013 - 11:54 PM.

#14 Jeffisnumberone

Jeffisnumberone
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Restoration 0/2/2/1/0/0
  • RBG: 960
  • LocationRwanda

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:29 AM

Was a good read, well done. I'm full int outside of gloves and belt (int+pvp power for socket bonuses) but I want to try crit. +rep
Edit: It's obvious people like Deucesdan don't understand rshamans and the way they work, as stated above if you crit you top someone where as if you go with int yeah it gives crit but the healing increase isnt that huge at all. Just tested it out with a friend who was full crit gems and reforged crit (even spirit into crit including his battlemaster's trinket) with me being full int gems and reforging to crit and he healed for about the same (2k difference typically in crits) and I went oom first despite him reforging out of spirit because of resurgence. Hope this helped my shaman friends.

Edited by Jeffisnumberone, 01 June 2013 - 03:55 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#15 Korzul

Korzul
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Doomhammer
  • Blackout
  • Talents: Restoration 0/2/0/1/1/0
  • 2v2: 2315
  • 3v3: 2744
  • 5v5: 480
  • RBG: 1151

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:14 AM

still don't sure what to gem, anybody did some math what's the best for healing output?

There's no correct answer to this:

To gain the best healing output on yourself go full resil, i gain more damage reduction for one point of resil than i get healing output from one point of int.
The issue lies whilst i can gem lots of resil (i'm at 68.3% on one shaman using tyr meta/resil/ int+resil/ Spirit + resil gems) and be tankier/have better healing output on myself my 2nd shaman who i gemmed tyr meta/int/int+resil/int+spirt gems (66.86% resil, same spirit value as main) has much better healing output on my partners.

The difference is ~4.5% extra damage reduction on main at the expense of ~3.5% healing output.
So my heals are ~1% stronger on myself, i have slightly better time to live given i take less damage (effectively giving me 4.5% more health and making NG/Vigor better) yet i heal my partners for less.

My alt ofc copes much better when my partenrs get tunneled all game, yet i can feel the difference when swaps get made to me.

What i still need to test is having everyone in the team go full resil (inc tyr meta gem) and see how it effects the use of our defensive cooldowns. If you don't have to cycle through them like a kid eating candy, as soon as things connect to your partners there may be some hope. Providing ofc you can still force defensives or kills yourself when you line up your burst.

I fully suspect FPS is the best shaman comps atm, probably whilst stacking max resil.
Thats largely due to HOTW heals (lifeswap v2)/shadow offhealing etc still being rather good whilst easilly having the burst to nuke things down whith out the need to gem offensievly.
It's just speculation though, i've only tested WLS/WPS/jungle thus far and haven't tested all the gem setups with those yet.

I also discounted going a throughput setup whilst your partners go for resil due to shamans being notoriously squishy right now and stupidly trainable if there isn't a gateway present for you to abuse.

Oh and as for gemming for crit/mastery etc. No...
Crits are admittedly the only thing that keep people alive if they've gemmed offensively right now but you're still relying on a 15-20%chance on non surges or a 45-50% chance on surges for that to happen. I want a setup that doesn't have me saying every 3rd game "Sorry i spammed 3 surges into you and non of them crit"
You may think "Surely increasing our chance to crit would be the best option" but your getting at max 5% crit from gemming which still leaves you relying on the RNG gods every single time you hardcast.
Plus gemming full crit or mastery is going to see you get tunneled into the ground by a lot of comps.

Edited by Korzul, 01 June 2013 - 03:26 AM.

#16 ripprape93

ripprape93
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Restoration 1/0/2/1/0/0
  • RBG: 576

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:01 AM

View PostJeffisnumberone, on 01 June 2013 - 12:29 AM, said:

Was a good read, well done. I'm full int outside of gloves and belt (int+pvp power for socket bonuses) but I want to try crit. +rep
Edit: It's obvious people like Deucesdan don't understand rshamans and the way they work, as stated above if you crit you top someone where as if you go with int yeah it gives crit but the healing increase isnt that huge at all. Just tested it out with a friend who was full crit gems and reforged crit (even spirit into crit even his battlemaster's trinket) with me being full int gems and reforging to crit and he healed for about the same (2k difference typically in crits) and I went oom first despite him reforging out of spirit because of resurgence. Hope this helped my shaman friends.
hes basing his heals off a random proc (20% crit ). Like show me another shaman whos doing well not playing kfc in crit gems.

#17 Jeffisnumberone

Jeffisnumberone
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Restoration 0/2/2/1/0/0
  • RBG: 960
  • LocationRwanda

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:15 AM

View Postripprape93, on 01 June 2013 - 03:01 AM, said:

hes basing his heals off a random proc (20% crit ). Like show me another shaman whos doing well not playing kfc in crit gems.
Tested this for about 25 minutes, same results everytime. I don't have the gold to regem crit yet but when I do i'll play and update you as well as my friend's results. Also trying to insult someone by saying they played kfc is really immature and rude, grow up.

Edited by Jeffisnumberone, 01 June 2013 - 03:16 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#18 Pradafiend

Pradafiend
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Shadow 1/1/0/1/2/1
  • 2v2: 1904

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:30 AM

reroll druid

#19 Votlol

Votlol
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:10 PM

View PostDrcooperphd, on 31 May 2013 - 01:15 AM, said:

Nice guide however.

Added a little bit of detail and played around with some of the numbers pertaining to mastery.

View PostKorzul, on 01 June 2013 - 01:14 AM, said:

Oh and as for gemming for crit/mastery etc. No...
Crits are admittedly the only thing that keep people alive if they've gemmed offensively right now but you're still relying on a 15-20%chance on non surges or a 45-50% chance on surges for that to happen. I want a setup that doesn't have me saying every 3rd game "Sorry i spammed 3 surges into you and non of them crit"
You may think "Surely increasing our chance to crit would be the best option" but your getting at max 5% crit from gemming which still leaves you relying on the RNG gods every single time you hardcast.
Plus gemming full crit or mastery is going to see you get tunneled into the ground by a lot of comps.

One aspect that I find really contributes to the effectiveness of gemming critical chance over say, intellect, as a throughput build for resto shamans is the mana. Personally, I'm not sure about others, even gemming resilience I was not really completely ooming in 3's in most of the games I played (as varying comps), however I did get close a few times, especially to the dot pressure teams. I'm not sure that it is really imperative to get some type of mana regeneration picked up in order to avoid having to drink in a lot of your games, currently, but I do know that it feels a lot more strenuous to purge some of the vital things this patch without any type of regeneration, and so I feel like every bit of mana gen I receive is useful and quite valuable.

Even assuming that someone does not really care much about their mana regeneration on their shaman this patch much at all, you are looking at a small percentage of healing gain from intellect which does not seem to be enough to deter having to cast an extra heal to top someone, having to spend more time hard casting long heals vs instant casting, or to be the deciding factor in whether a player lives or dies.

From my experience, it seems like I have to hard cast heals more often this patch on my resto shaman, and this means more casts, meaning I crit more often, making crit a little bit better. I understand that crit is an RNG stat, and a lot of people do not like basing their build off of luck, but this game is surrounded by RNG, especially when a crit heal is so much stronger than a non crit heal. While you can say every few games "sorry, i casted three surges and none of them crit" when you are built around crit, you can still say the same thing when you are gemming full intellect, because the gain in healing output after gemming int is not enough to really make a difference, or at least it doesn't feel like it is thus far in my experience. You will still find situations where you say "if the NS heal crit, you would have been fine." I just don't think the healing gain from intellect is enough to get you to say "if i was gemmed int, I would have had to heal less often and then I could hex more," or "if I was int, I could have kept you up better."

You are going to rely on criting heals regardless if you gem int or not (there is a reason healing surge is considered "better" than the healing wave spells, in most situations), and when you do crit as a resto shaman, the heals are so strong that any extra healing is kind of  overkill and unnecessary. Gemming crit just makes you rely less on the RNG that you are still going to rely on.

So anyway as an update, I'm still enjoying the crit, and I think I'm going to adjust to gemming fully as well as reforging fully to crit for now. I've noticed a nice healthy difference in the mana between my resil shaman and the one I was trying crit on, but I was only running KFC on the resil gemmed shaman. I have, however, managed to spend some time with other comps such as shadowplay, WLS, moonkin / warrior, god comp, mls, and wps a little bit and I have done nothing but grow to like the set up even more. I don't really have issues of being obsessively trained or anything (and even vs a kitty cleave as well as a couple hunter cleaves that tried to train me I did not have any issues surviving long enough to win the matches), and there weren't any issues surviving swaps usually either. I did get taken down pretty quick a couple times sort of unexpectedly throughout my play with crit gems, but it was because of mistakes in play and strategy, and each of them didn't seem like anything resilience would have fixed, based off the games I did goof around with full resil gems.

I think that the most important thing in choosing a gem/gear set up is how it feels, for a healer, especially, and so it is always going to have the capability of varying in effectiveness in each situation, based on comps, players, strategies, etc. If I vs a phd that trains me gemming resil is probably better, but if they do not touch me at all and instead train my teammate, the resil is obviously not as effective. The questions are how often do I vs comps that want to just train me, how does my comp work, how well does it peel, how quick are the games, what support do my teammates have for me, and what kind of strategy is my team using (ie zerg healer or set up a swap, etc.).

#20 hekumzx

hekumzx
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • 2v2: 1744
  • 3v3: 2718
  • 5v5: 576

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:21 PM

Interesting that you gem full crit, didn't read all of this in it's entirety but that's what I gathered from the last post.  I play with mastery reforge on all my Shaman, I have 68-70% with only 10% crit and int gemming.  I rarely have mana issues and I like the feel of mastery, against dot teams (which I think you referenced at least once per mana issues), healing wave crits can hit for over 150k and in many cases you can channel a lot of them.

I find mastery vs cleaves to be very conducive to burst healing, of course you often get your most important heals of the game from unleash windows.  I don't find myself spam casting heals against good cleaves obviously, but I feel like mastery "play" wise works very well regardless of the opposing team comp.

I like that shaman can be played in many many ways, I think that OVERALL - int gemming, crit gemming, mastery gemming, spirit gemming, mastery or crit reforge and even resil gemming are all viable and can be argued effective based on playstyle.

A comprehensive look at resto shaman, from the inside out - http://i.imgur.com/icr36xO.png

Posted Image

Official Blizzard Quote:

11/18/10
Balance isn't as easy as some seem to think and often balance is in the eye of the beholder.. We believe priests will be in good shape if not great..

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 5.3, Resto, Shaman, Gems, healers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<