#1 Jarzombek

Jarzombek
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Elemental 0/1/2/1/0/2

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:58 AM

So, as you all see I have no helmets under my name, and I'm not thinking of myself as the god of shamans, just felt like pulling my straw to the stack :) Feel free to leave feedback on things that might be crazy wrong or something that can be added. I will edit spelling and grammar when noticed. TLDR? nah

Talents
Tier1
Nature’s Guardian.  It gives you a heal when you go low(the HP you gain will not be lost when the effect ends as of 5.2), and since shamans often are the kill targets and they can't use anything when silenced or stunned (like barkskin, pain suppression, bubble) this is as good as it gets.
Second best talent would be astral shift (you can use it while silenced, and is not on the GCD) but the 2 minute CD together with the short duration makes it hard to use efficiently.
Stone bulwark is a no go for resto shamans, the absorb is dispellable and its on GCD.

Tier2
Windwalk totem is probably the best choice vs most comps, especially if you’re running with melees in your team. It can be used both offensively and defensivly, helping your warrior connect against a mage team or using it together with ghost wolf vs a DK around a pillar. (in 5.3 mage’s pet nova wont grant the mage fingers of frost if the target is immune to root) (not on GCD)
Earthgrab totem is another option and can mess things up alot for the opposing team, and together with capacitor totem and totemic projection you can stun a lot of players quite easily.
Frozen power.  5 second root from frost shock, does not share DR with roots from druids or mages

Tier3
Totemic restoration. Vs most teams the best choice, and especially vs casters and priests and ferals. Your totems will get restored up to 50% of its CD when killed, Recalled, replaced or rightclicked. Use
/stopcasting
/cast Tremor Totem
/click TotemFrameTotem1 RightButton
To get a 34 second tremor totem. Make sure you glyph totemic encirclement so you don’t remove wrong totem, for example healing tide totem.
Okey choice vs hunter teams to get more chances to ground freezing trap.

Totemic Projection, use this with earthgrab totem, capacitor totem and occasionaly spirit link totem - If you can't make it into the smokebomb in time to link your partner. Ofcourse your 2nd dps has to be in range.

Call of the elements, resets CD on totems that have shorter cooldown than 3 minutes, so SLT and Tide is not included. Decent vs teams where you’d like to have 2 freedom totems+2 healing stream totems in a row. Good choice when meeting rush down kill shaman comps like TSG (DK,Warrior,Pala)

Tier4
Ancestral Swiftness. (also still called NS for nature’s swiftness) Macro it with Greater healing wave for a big instant heal. Combine it with unleash elements for a huge heal. It’s also usable together with hex.
Don’t look on the other talents, Echo of elements might have been good vs affliction warlock team/boomkin/DK teams, if you didn’t lose the 5% passive haste NS gives you.

Tier5
Healing tide totem. All the way. It’s like healing stream totem, but stronger and affects everyone in its range instead of just one. Use to heal massive damage, use before damage is incoming and you know you will sit a lot of CC or to heal someone who’s stunned inside a smokebomb.

Tier6
Unleashed Fury. Makes your unleashed elements really good. You want to use this together with your casted heals as much as possible, be it surge, GHW or HW. But most of the time you will probably use it to improve your riptide heal (only improves the first heal, not the ticks) when under pressure.

Glyphs

Ghost Wolf -  Makes you less slowed when used

Hex - Reduces your hex cooldown by 10 seconds. Extremely effective against teams with no curse dispel or only one curse dispeller.

Healing Stream Totem – Small buff to the stream totem when meeting fire+frost mages, Ele shamans during Ascendance and Destro locks

Totemic Vigor – Makes your totem not oneshottable by a white hit. Makes it a lot harder for players that kills your healing stream totem while just running by it, that kills your SLT when your team partners is just not inside of it yet, or killing your healing tide that’s too big of a cooldown to get insta gibbed.

Capacitor - Useful for teams where you can keep Totemic Projection

Those are the ones you should use, ghost wolf is probably the only one you don’t want to swap before a game ever.

Gems / Enchants / Stats
Resiliance is what you want to gem and enchant, and get loads of it! With no defensive CD to use this is your defense. Many top shamans ignore almost every socket bonus to gem pure resilience.

Stats outside resilience depends on what you want. I’d say spirit>50%mastery>crit>haste. But some reforges both haste and crit to mastery. But whether you want to try more mastery or crit, haste is the stat you want to reforge to the other.

For the gear you want the mail gear with spirit on, everything. As for the set gear, get “gladiator’s Ringmail” gear(resto) for head, shoulder, chest and legs. Use the “gladiator’s mail” gloves, instead of legs. Haste is not something we want.

As for the meta gem, powerful primal diamond for the stun reduction is what you want, there are rogues everywhere… It also stacks with the orc racial, making orc the best shaman race, both factions. Alliance side dwarf wins, before 5.2 draeneis could use their gift of the naaru while silenced, but that was changed for indescribable reasons.

Macros+keybinds
First of all, as a healer you want to bind target party 1,2 and player, and also dispel party 1,2 and player.  Clicking your team is too slow. There are addons for healing like healbot or clique, or simple mouseover addons/macros, but throw them in the garbage bin as you read this. They are really good in raiding, but they do not belong in arena. You don’t want to use your mouse for anything but movement. If you can’t see whats going on behind you because you are clicking away a heal you've lost a big part of what's essential in arena – awareness.
Spells you use often should be binded to easy binds(examples here are my binds), riptide on 2, healing surge on F, healing stream shift 1. On the contrary stormlash totem is bound to ctrl T, water walking Y(to make DKs sad when they try to copy your spell, usually hex, with dark simulacrum), earth elemental totem shift H. Big cooldowns should if possible have a modifier so they don’t as easily get misclicked.

Focus frame is something you hear a lot about as a new pvper, but don’t actually really get why it’s so good to use, “I can see the castbars just fine on gladius” could be one argument, but if you feel you have a 100% control over you arena frame, you’re probably not even going to learn a thing from the upcoming wall of text. Focus lets you see the buffs the target has as a proc trinket or barkskin. You should have the focus frame rather centered on the screen, which improves your awareness a ton. Didn’t see the Chaos Bolt from the destro lock last game? Put him on focus and you will next time. It’s possible to right-click your gladius to focus a target, but it’s not optimal if you get used to it. I have for example binded V, shift V and ctrl V to /focus arena1,2 and 3. It’s so much smoother, and nice to know when a night elf shadow melds, or a mage uses mirror images, your focus frame on him disappears. Sometimes it bugs and no matter how many times you press focus arena2 it won’t show up – focus arena1 and then back to the mage/Nelf and its back.

/target Player

/cast [@party1] Cleanse Spirit

Some use 1,2,3/   A,S,D/   f1,f2,f3 to target their party. I use the mouse wheel, and shift is the modifier to dispel. (and ctrl to target arena123, and alt for windshear123)
Scroll up is party1, click the wheel is player, and scroll down is party2.

#showtooltip Cleanse Spirit
/target [nomod] Party1
/cast [target=Party1,modifier:shift, help] Cleanse Spirit
/cast [target=Party1,modifier:shift, harm] Purge
(Purge is there to purge mind control/dominate mind)

Battlemaster macro:
#showtooltip
/stopcasting
/use Tyranical Gladiator’s Emblem of meditation
/use healthstone

(last resort macro, bind the separately aswell)

Wind Shear 1/2/3
/cast [@arena1] Wind Shear    (@arena2, @arena3)

(good for interruptning polymorphs/clones from invis/stealth)

Focus Wind Shear
#showtooltip
/stopcasting
/cast [@focus] Wind Shear

Focus Hex
#showtooltip
/cast [@focus] Hex

NS Hex
#showtooltip Hex
/cast Ancestral Swiftness
/cast Hex

Trinket+Aura Mastery
/use Malevolent Gladiator's Medallion of Meditation
/cast Spiritwalker's Grace
(Should almost never be used, but with no alternatives it can sometimes save you in a solarbeam to get the spirit link totem out)

Stopcasting
/stopcasting   
(for when you want to fake cast with spirit walker’s grace up when the aura mastery effect is gone)

Healing in arena, tips to a beginner

It’s been said so many times – “the most important thing for a healer is his positioning”. But I feel like new players don’t really get what that means . Basically, you do not want to get caught in trouble. Ever. You want to stand as far away as possible and line of sight the opposing team behind pillars so you never get charged, polymorphed, feared.  Easy if you didn’t have to cast heals on your partners! This is where “positioning” comes in. You want to be in LoS of your partners, but LoS the enemy. Different healers are more or less punished for their positioning. Holy paladins for example are getting very punished if they runs out at the wrong time to hammer of justice and gets caught in CC, while druids on the other hand can shapeshift polymorphs and has their HoTs ticking and their life blooms will usually bloom and heal before their fear for example has expired.

Shamans have tremor totem and it will save you counless of times when you’re in a bad spot. Important to keep your healing stream totem up before you think any CC is coming in, like a silence or stun. Difference between a good shaman and a bad is that the good can anticipate the damage and CC coming in and throw totems, riptides, earthshield on the correct target so he’s being just as much a healer when he can’t control his character as when he’s out of CC. Tip, if you’re using tremor to get your partners out of fear/MC, don’t spam the macro or it might not affect them. This is also true if one of your dps has both psychic horror AND Psyfiend fear on him, the tremor will just get one of the debuffs if you remove it too quickly. Tremor is usable on fears, hibernate(you can get hibernated in ghost wolf form), lullaby(hunter crane pet CC) and mind control.
Previously shamans could use totems while silenced, but that changed in early MoP.

But we got Spirit walkers grace that acts like a auramastery with the pvp 4set. This is SO good to use vs shadow priests and mages. Start casting a heal and midcast press SWG and watch them trying to lock your cast into immunity. This is something I do almost everytime I don’t want to get silenced, to increase the chances of them wasting it so I can freecast even when the 5sec aura mastery is gone.
Vs boomkins and solarbeam you can sometimes trinket the silence from the beam and use SWG, but you need to be fast! So if you want to do it, use the macro above. It isn’t THAT reliable though I’ve noticed lately, but maybe 50/50 it works.
If you’re in the resurrection business, you can spirit walkers grace mid cast and run behind a pillar or box for the most of the duration, just to peak out last second and get the ress with the enemy on the other side!

Your trinket is your best friend, but you don’t really want to use it. You use this to save lifes, not to heal someone that just maybe will die. To make sure you don’t trinket something you didn’t have to, you HAVE to talk with your partners. Taking you play with a shadow priest, know before shit hits the fan if he’s got dispersion, if he can massdispell you out of trap, grip you to a safe spot when you’re kidney shot.  If you finish a game without trinketing, pat yourself on the shoulder because you’ve managed to keep your team not only by using preemptive heals and totems, but you communicated so well that you were sure they all had something of their own when in trouble. All this comes from experience, to know what for example what a frozen orb requires to counter, or how much damage does actually a warrior do with recklessness up.
A lot of low rated players trinkets offensively, thinking that if they trinket this 5 second bash they will get the kill. To be honest, that rarely works out. And when it doesn’t – you’ve just served a golden swap option for the other team the next 2 minutes. For a dps to do it isn’t always drastically game changing, but if a healer trinkets a CC to dispel his partner so he can kill, or trinkets to get a hex, and it doesn’t work out, then you’ve gotten yourself behind a lot!

Purge is a strong ability few classes possesses, that being said, it’s also very mana expensive  and can put you behind a lot in healing. “I really want to purge that fear ward off that druid so my warrior can fear him” is a thought that comes to mind. 8 purges later and the buff is still there all I’ve accomplished is 80k less mana and 12 seconds I did nothing to pre-hot my team. I do want to see more shamans using purge, but try to keep in mind that you don’t want to apologize to your partners that they died because you wanted to clean the ret for a swap later.

Grounding totem is so good, but with the 10 second CD it has now (when insta killed with totemic restoration talented) it’s easy to be reckless with it. Say you’re facing a shatterplay (mage, SP, healer), spamming grounding will get you a lot of high damaging ice lances, but also a lot of cheap shadow word pains. Always use grounding for a purpose. Mage pops everything, targets and novas you and starts to cast a frostbolt, by all means, ground it and you might even ground the deep freeze. If you on the other hand just use it to get some random damage going into it, wait for it to come back from cooldown before you decide to change pillar. Note, the range of the grounding effect is reduced alot since MoP.

Ascendance is a rather difficult ability to use efficiently. It’s a big cooldown that doubles your heals (50k heal turns into a 50k+50k, the second 50k is splitted to anyone whos near you) but when you really need to heal, you rarely have the time to hard cast heals and rather use instants like NS or healing tide totem. You want to use riptide as your first spell for healing split damage, and if it crits ancestral awakening gets duplicated as well. Vs DKs its really good since they have diseases all over the place and do crazy damage on anyone they look at. A comp that’s not a spread pressure team like RMP it’s more difficult, use it here to get extra strong riptides out before they CC everyone in your team and sets up a kill. Ascendance does not affect totems, your healing tide totem does not benefit from it. If you need to AoE heal the whole team, use one of these, not often are both needed at the same time. Using unleash elements, ascendance and NS is the biggest heal you can do.

It’s important to always have an Earth Shield up somewhere, if the charges are about to expire, or you anticipate a lot of CC, renew it early. A lot of shamans who just had it on themselves and puts in on their partner forgets to put up water shield again. Think about it when you swap ES, or you will notice too late having to force your mates to peel for your drink. Some teams require more mana than others, even though they do roughly the same damage, use Mana Tide Totem early, like at 85%mana and it will be back up again when you need it.

When healing you will most often use Healing Surge as you main casted heal. It costs a lot (really a lot) but as the most output which you need in the short windows you get to cast in an arena game. But for it to be effective you need Tidal Waves to be up, two charges per riptide is what you get. It takes a bit of experience using it effectively, but one tip is to riptide yourself every one and then. Resto shamans are kill targets, and that extra HP you get from Ancestral Vigor might just be the difference between winning or losing. I often find myself using Healing wave just for that matter, renew the stack. Greater healing wave is very rarely used, but if you are low on HP and just got away behind a pillar, use that to top you up instead of surge, it’s more mana efficient.

On the offensive side, shamans don’t have much damage. Only thing really offensive is the Stormlash Totem. Watch your recount after the games and see how much damage it really did do. Again, communicate and see when your partners want it the most, or you will most likely just waste a great tool. It can contribute to a lot!

Earth shock is the instant ability that does the most damage if you don’t count the flame shock ticks. It also reduces physical damage done by 10% for 30 seconds. If you have the time, use it on a warrior.

Wind Shear is great! If other healers had a ranged interrupt the arena floor would look totally different. And as with everything, you can use it on good things, and bad things. CC is obviously something that should be interrupted, but only if you don’t get CCd. By that I mean, if you wind shear a polymorph, start running back, because in 3 seconds he will try to poly you again. Sounds obvious, but happens too many times. A tip vs mages though is that if you interrupt a polymorph, he is locked in his arcane school and can’t counterspell, it’s a great way to get your hex on the mage! If you feel like risking it – don’t hex the millisecond after you sheared him, wait a second and you might land the hex just as he counterspells you, which will be a blanket. Interrupting a shamans heal locks his windshear and grounding totem out, and it's easier to hex him. A good tool to have in the toolbox in regarding interrupts: when the targets castbar turns red for a millisecond when you interrupted him, he faked you. If it turns green, you locked him out!

Hex, can be used offensively and defensively. Hex the shadow priest when his healer is just about to die to avoid letting him lifeswap, or hex the warlock just when he pops dps trinket and darksoul. Try to have a grounding totem down when you do it though, and you might just ground the spell lock or windshear. And all of a sudden “hex battles” comes to mind! It’s when both you and the opposing resto shaman wants to hex the other, and you have to juke his windshears and fake his grounding totem, and vice versa. Great fun seeing who’s the better hexer. If you’re doing this with your focus frame while targeting your team, get used to use focus purge to remove his grounding totem. If he has grounding totem down while trying to hex you. Focus purge early on the cast and wait till late cast to interrupt him, it takes a while for the grounding buff to go away and he might just ground both your purge and shear. Good luck!
Hexing resto druids is a different story, they can shapeshift REALLY late and still immune the hex, as for shamans and grounding totems, sometimes you can land the hex even though he just put the totem down. Fake the hex, make him shift, and as you anticipate him to come out to heal, start casting and if he leaves form, you have about one second to land it. A tip if you’re playing with a druid, call out that you’re “trying to hex” him and that he should get ready to hibernate him. Works wonders if you’re playing with a feral! Many druids leave the shapeshift form while hibernated, and you can get a DRd hex out of it. Keep spamming hex without the intention of hexing is a mind game tool you can use to keep the druid from healing, or to force the enemy out of your LoS.

I hope this helps someone! If you want to know how to really play resto shaman turn into Cdew's stream twitch.tv/cdewx
Flubbah @ twitch.tv/flubbah
Dakkroth plays alot of restoshaman aswell at twitch.tv/dakkrothwow

Edited by Jarzombek, 14 May 2013 - 04:31 PM.

#2 hekumzx

hekumzx
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Moon Guard
  • Emberstorm
  • Talents: Restoration 0/2/2/1/0/0/.
  • 2v2: 2048
  • 3v3: 2776

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:20 AM

I feel like this is kind of poorly written, overall there is a lot of text but most of the text isn't really saying much.  In my opinion atleast, you should revise this if you want anyone to really get any sound information out of it.

Maybe it's personal preference I dunno about other shaman but playing a healer for years now I think it's often a shit idea to bind things like trinket+aura mastery into one bind or health stone+battlemaster, infact I've been playing with locks alot this week and almost never overlap the two. They're very effective ways to keep your NG from procing during a silence and almost never need to overlap them unless you're playing against thug.  This is even more true when playing my dwarf shamans as I have battlemaster, healthstone and stoneform all of which can be used situationally and often not together.

Ghost Wolf - Makes you run at 100% even when you are slowed when using Ghost Wolf.

Doesn't make your run at 100%.

Healing Stream Totem – Small buff to the stream totem when meeting mages and boomkins and occasional DK

Doesnt realistically do shit vs a boomkin or dk, boomkin starfall is arcane and their 1 shot proc is spellstorm damage, not sure why DK is in there but it is effective vs frost and fire mages, destro locks and ele shaman during ascendance.

Your trinket is your best friend, but you don’t really want to use it.

You really just jabbled up a bunch of rubbish in that paragraph, the game is in a shit state and I lose more games trying to save my trinket than I do by using it.  My partners often die through cooldowns anyway, It would probably be best to shorten that paragraph and convey the importance of good judgment.

Grounding totem is so good, but with the 10 second CD it has now (when insta killed with totemic restoration talented) it’s easy to be reckless with it.

A lot of ramble in this paragraph too, leaving out the most important part.  After Cata grounding now has a reduced range.  It's super frustrating trying to ground shatter out of habit on nagrand, blades bridge, tolvir only to remember a half second later the range is shit.

Ascendance is a rather difficult ability to use efficiently.

You described the situation in which you use the spell and turned the tooltip into a paragraph in your post but didn't mention that your first riptide out of ascendance should be used on a teammate when healing split damage to make the best use of the ascendance split as well as the ancestral awakening proc if you crit the riptide.  Also important to mention how extraordinarily useful it is to unleash Ascendance NS yourself.

Hex, can be used offensively and defensively.

When discussing Hex you didn't simply state that you can shock a shamans school and hex him for free... or elaborate (like you did in every other paragraph) that you can spam hex without the intention of actually finishing the cast to force wasted globals and in general, just piss cunts off.

A comprehensive look at resto shaman, from the inside out - http://i.imgur.com/icr36xO.png

Posted Image

Official Blizzard Quote:

11/18/10
Balance isn't as easy as some seem to think and often balance is in the eye of the beholder.. We believe priests will be in good shape if not great..

#3 Flabbert

Flabbert
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Elemental 0/0/1/2/0/2
  • RBG: 2460

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:29 AM

have you ever stood behind a pilar with ascendance up spamming those heals into yourself trying to heal a teammate? ^^ oh man
Posted Image

#4 Boetard

Boetard
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Aegwynn
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Retribution 2/2/1/2/2/2
  • 2v2: 1587
  • 3v3: 576
  • RBG: 2261
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:40 PM

definitely gna check out Dakkroths stream for restoshaman tips.

#5 Jarzombek

Jarzombek
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Elemental 0/1/2/1/0/2

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:21 PM

@Hekumz Thank you!
I agree with you that the text isn't so rich on information. It was written to hint new players to the right direction.
Fixing the stuff about the macros. trinket+AM is as you say often a shit idea to use. Using BM trinket before healthstoning buffs the heal quite much. Last restort thing to do though.

Ghost wolf, copied it from vanguards guide without thinking :(

Healing stream, fixed

Trinket, Aiming this text to someone who's never been in arena, ever.

Grounding. Just wanted new players to think before using abilities. "ground shatter out of habit", new players won't have that problem.

Ascendance. Just wanted to clarify the tooltip.

Hex. Fixed some.

@Bluestahli and Realitykings, no I don't do english. It's all written by google translate. Tell me where it messed up.
@Boetar I doubt you will

#6 Eveny

Eveny
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Shadow 1/0/0/1/2/1
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:11 PM

Waiting for dakkroth's approval
If you have problems understanding my post, don't assume something and hit the reply button but read it again.

#7 hekumzx

hekumzx
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • US-Moon Guard
  • Emberstorm
  • Talents: Restoration 0/2/2/1/0/0/.
  • 2v2: 2048
  • 3v3: 2776

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:11 PM

View PostJarzombek, on 13 May 2013 - 03:21 PM, said:

@Bluestahli and Realitykings, no I don't do english. It's all written by google translate. Tell me where it messed up.

A comprehensive look at resto shaman, from the inside out - http://i.imgur.com/icr36xO.png

Posted Image

Official Blizzard Quote:

11/18/10
Balance isn't as easy as some seem to think and often balance is in the eye of the beholder.. We believe priests will be in good shape if not great..

#8 xndr

xndr
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Ravencrest
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Destruction 1/2/0/2/2/.
  • 2v2: 2517
  • 3v3: 2709
  • 5v5: 2347
  • RBG: 2519
  • LocationLiverpool

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:53 PM

can't remember who to give credit to because I can't find the original during the tournament this year in february, remade it (..very poorly). chose random pictures from AJ because I don't know what this slide clip is called

Posted Image

Edited by xndr, 13 May 2013 - 10:57 PM.

Posted Image

#9 Zoobip

Zoobip
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Al'Akir
  • Blackout
  • Talents: Elemental 0/1/2/2/0/2
  • RBG: 1698
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:21 AM

Thank you for taking the time to write this guide Jarzo. It is a friendly and helpfull approach to new shaman players.

Don't pay too much attention to the remarks from the "grammar police".

It is difficult to find a shaman who chooses to contribute with anything constructive these days. Thank you very much for your thoughts on playing a resto shaman :duckers:

#10 Mbgz

Mbgz
  • Junkies
  • Worgenclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Restoration 1/0/2/1/1/2
  • RBG: 2097

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:52 AM

i once learned from dakkroth, that using NS hex is a good choice.

Edited by Mbgz, 14 May 2013 - 09:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<