• Drjakethomas
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Frost 0/2/0/2/0/2
  • RBG: 1954

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:26 PM

A Low Skill Cap Ability is anything that dramatically reduces the Setup needed or the general skill of a class. IE Subterfuge, Shockwave for DPS Warriors, Deepfreeze for fire Mages, Shouriken toss paired with Deadly Throw.

The game has become riddled with abilities like this because when the designers are developing the game these ideas sound fantastic on paper, but when implemented into the game are over the top and drastically reduce the skill needed to play at a high level.

Now not all of these abilities are Overpowered, or broken. They are just unneeded and annoying. When you see them used you just have to ask yourself "really is that unnecessary for this particular class"  

Personally i don't see the need to keep adding new abilities that are just reworks of what other classes already have or are "cool". They aren't cool and they are ruining the Arena experience and dumbing down the game as a whole.

#2 Gsgsgsgsgs

Gsgsgsgsgs

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:34 PM

Any rogue ability.

#3 Enyalius

Enyalius
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Auchindoun
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Arms 0/1/2/1/1/1
  • LocationNORWAY YO

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:45 PM

View PostChristymarie, on 12 May 2013 - 08:26 PM, said:

A Low Skill Cap Ability is anything that dramatically reduces the Setup needed or the general skill of a class. IE Subterfuge, Shockwave for DPS Warriors, Deepfreeze for fire Mages, Shouriken toss paired with Deadly Throw.

Deep freeze overall mate. Dont kid urself. I laugh when playing my mage cause of that.

EDIT: Forgot about commenting on the shockwave thingy. Yes its stupid, and I just wish we got throwdown baseline, but its needed atm. Also 40 sec cd so yeah. Mage shouldnt complain with the whole blink out of stun shit. Yes its dumb, but needed (vs certain classes). Still prefer playing Bladestorm Stormbolt myself tho.

Edited by Enyalius, 12 May 2013 - 08:49 PM.

/^^^^^^\

<(õ_õ)>

./|\.

/\

#4 Deadscumlord

Deadscumlord
  • Drjakethomas
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:53 PM

View PostEnyalius, on 12 May 2013 - 08:45 PM, said:

Deep freeze overall mate. Dont kid urself. I laugh when playing my mage cause of that.

EDIT: Forgot about commenting on the shockwave thingy. Yes its stupid, and I just wish we got throwdown baseline, but its needed atm. Also 40 sec cd so yeah. Mage shouldnt complain with the whole blink out of stun shit. Yes its dumb, but needed (vs certain classes). Still prefer playing Bladestorm Stormbolt myself tho.

I totally agree. I say all the time that warriors should still have Throwdown instead of Shockwave.

#5 Enyalius

Enyalius
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Auchindoun
  • Vindication
  • LocationNORWAY YO

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:09 AM

View PostChristymarie, on 12 May 2013 - 08:53 PM, said:

I totally agree. I say all the time that warriors should still have Throwdown instead of Shockwave.

It's probably a long shot, but if they made stormbolt off dr, it would be great! Warrior would have some pretty decent cc with that, at the same time as they have their decent dmg. Then the choice would be good burst dmg, or good cc on the last talent tier.

Might be a wee bit op, but if u think about how squishy warriors are now, it would be great (yes ive seen the 5.3 changes, not that happy about it).

/^^^^^^\

<(õ_õ)>

./|\.

/\

#6 Deadscumlord

Deadscumlord
  • Drjakethomas
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:19 AM

View PostEnyalius, on 13 May 2013 - 12:09 AM, said:

It's probably a long shot, but if they made stormbolt off dr, it would be great! Warrior would have some pretty decent cc with that, at the same time as they have their decent dmg. Then the choice would be good burst dmg, or good cc on the last talent tier.

Might be a wee bit op, but if u think about how squishy warriors are now, it would be great (yes ive seen the 5.3 changes, not that happy about it).

I hate the idea of stuns not DRing with one another... promotes training one person too much.

#7 Sweatyfingrs

Sweatyfingrs

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:21 AM

Stampede

It's a button you push one time and does ridiculous damage regardless of it's CD
Posted Image

#8 Deadscumlord

Deadscumlord
  • Drjakethomas
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:55 AM

View PostSweatyfingrs, on 13 May 2013 - 12:21 AM, said:

Stampede

It's a button you push one time and does ridiculous damage regardless of it's CD

Yeah these are the things that i am talking about.

#9 Conradical

Conradical
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Garona
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Affliction 0/2/2/0/2/.

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:28 AM

every instant cc

every cooldown you put in a macro

gg

#10 WildeHilde

WildeHilde
  • Content Editors
  • Curse Premium
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • EU-Aegwynn
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Combat 1/1/2/1/1/0
  • RBG: 2215
  • LocationSouthern Germany

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:43 AM

Tremor Totem working during fear, WotF, Escape Artist, Nimble Brew, Bestial Wrath, Icebound Fortitude, Lichborne, Desecrated Ground, Double Grip, Cloak of Shadows, Iceblock, Divine Shield...

#11 Sweatyfingrs

Sweatyfingrs

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:46 AM

Any kind of high damaging ability that's easy to use.  It should take skill to do ridiculous damage imo

It used to separate good from bad players back in the day and I can't be the only person that feels like we lost that
Posted Image

#12 Enyalius

Enyalius
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Auchindoun
  • Vindication
  • LocationNORWAY YO

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:57 AM

All about avatar - on'use trink - reck - skull banner in one macro.

Shows how skilled u are!

/^^^^^^\

<(õ_õ)>

./|\.

/\

#13 Deadscumlord

Deadscumlord
  • Drjakethomas
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:51 AM

View PostWildeHilde, on 13 May 2013 - 01:43 AM, said:

Tremor Totem working during fear, WotF, Escape Artist, Nimble Brew, Bestial Wrath, Icebound Fortitude, Lichborne, Desecrated Ground, Double Grip, Cloak of Shadows, Iceblock, Divine Shield...

Yeah i agree with most of these. Bubble and Block are kinda needed , but the 5 other trinkets are kinda redic lol.

I also think double grip is over the top, just because of the interrupt factor.

#14 Icekingx

Icekingx
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Area 52
  • Retaliation
  • Talents: Frost 1/1/0/2/0/2
  • RBG: 2351

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:00 AM

Nether Tempest.

Rawrbertlol, on 14 June 2013 - 08:41 AM, said:

Best signatures on entire website.
Posted Image

#15 Deadscumlord

Deadscumlord
  • Drjakethomas
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:10 AM

View PostIcekingx, on 13 May 2013 - 05:00 AM, said:

Nether Tempest.

For sure... Wasn't gunna be the one to say it. Nether Tempest makes me sick.

#16 WildeHilde

WildeHilde
  • Content Editors
  • Curse Premium
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • EU-Aegwynn
  • Blutdurst

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:10 AM

To be honest, it was more ironic with a touch of truth. Most abilities are not very complex. It's probably more interesting to see if classes have to use abilities that are less trivial to land correctly. The word skill is kind of dead since some years and as far as I know other games like SC:2 or LoL don't use it either.

It's better to talk about anticipation, reaction time and clean execution.

#17 Deadscumlord

Deadscumlord
  • Drjakethomas
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:31 AM

View PostWildeHilde, on 13 May 2013 - 07:10 AM, said:

To be honest, it was more ironic with a touch of truth. Most abilities are not very complex. It's probably more interesting to see if classes have to use abilities that are less trivial to land correctly. The word skill is kind of dead since some years and as far as I know other games like SC:2 or LoL don't use it either.

It's better to talk about anticipation, reaction time and clean execution.

I see what you mean, but some of these abilities have just ruined what made a great player great. They have let the dregs of society the 1500 players soar up in ratings without doing anything that sets them apart from the rest.

Don't you remember the golden days of neilyo Sprinting a mages opener and kidneying the blink. the 1st time you saw a priest SWD a poly.

There used to be things that were so amazing and over time they have become more common, but one thing that doesn't become common is being Great. And some of the abilities in the game have muddied the waters as to what great is.

I do 450k if not 500k damage in some deepfreeze CS combos like every other glad mage does now. But in s8 i was one of the few players in the world to reach very high ratings as an arcane mage and obtain gladiator.

I was able to play an odd spec due to the fact i could out skill players and yeah i still get 2200 as arcane from time to time, but its done by playing like an ignorant ass, not by playing great. I randomly crit for 140k Blast into a 200k Barrage and global someone, because i was given deepfreeze as an arcane mage. It makes no sense to me why random damage out plays skill so often now.

Edited by Christymarie, 13 May 2013 - 07:39 AM.

#18 Lieto

Lieto
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Arthas
  • Glutsturm / Emberstorm
  • Talents: Subtlety
  • LocationKyiv. Ukraine.

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:13 AM

The class is made of
1) doing damage
2) tanking damage
3) CCing

Its kind of stupid to claim that this or that ability is "low skill cap"when another class does same thing with pressing a button once it lights up.

Subterfuge and cloak n dagger made an average rogue to bind like 10 additional buttons, how the fk its "low skill cap" is beyond me.
And as for the fact that it actually lets you get a clean opener more often (you can still flare rogue or get into combat to avoid sap) — guess what, other classes dont even NEED opener. They dont need a blessing of RNG god to avoid aoe of 3 other classes and land virtually their only meaningful second target CC.

Edited by Lieto, 13 May 2013 - 08:13 AM.

Shadowmelding since 2007.

#19 WildeHilde

WildeHilde
  • Content Editors
  • Curse Premium
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • EU-Aegwynn
  • Blutdurst

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:24 AM

Of course great skills were great but a lot of the super fancy moves, especially from Neilyo meant that for the one time you saw it working in the video he screwed it up ten times and showed the one time it worked. Woundman was the counter example - rarely fancy moves but very consistent play and you could see the difference in their tournament success.

Back then there was a bigger gap between players than now and most really fancy moves don't work because every knows how to counter them. In TBC mages raged at poly bugging when SW:D was used, in Cataclysm it was the first moves new disc priests trained and you could see 1600 priests deathing Blind but having bad positioning at the same time.

Boxer talked about this when starting to play SC:2. Before videos, replays and streams became so common certain moves and tactics distinquished players. Today if someone comes up with a new move it's on the next Day9 daily. So not the most creative players win the game but the most consistent and precise unless someone can hide certain tactics until tournaments come up. It's a bit sad but the whole world has changed not just WoW arena.

#20 Deadscumlord

Deadscumlord
  • Drjakethomas
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:31 AM

View PostWildeHilde, on 13 May 2013 - 08:24 AM, said:

Of course great skills were great but a lot of the super fancy moves, especially from Neilyo meant that for the one time you saw it working in the video he screwed it up ten times and showed the one time it worked. Woundman was the counter example - rarely fancy moves but very consistent play and you could see the difference in their tournament success.

Back then there was a bigger gap between players than now and most really fancy moves don't work because every knows how to counter them. In TBC mages raged at poly bugging when SW:D was used, in Cataclysm it was the first moves new disc priests trained and you could see 1600 priests deathing Blind but having bad positioning at the same time.

Boxer talked about this when starting to play SC:2. Before videos, replays and streams became so common certain moves and tactics distinquished players. Today if someone comes up with a new move it's on the next Day9 daily. So not the most creative players win the game but the most consistent and precise. It's a bit sad but the whole world has changed not just WoW arena.

I 100% agree, which is why i said these moves have become common practice.
The problem i have is the simplicity of some classes to do amazing numbers or incredible CC.
I still see the difference in play styles, but not nearly the difference in skill sets anymore.  Those few things that made Great... Well Great. I want that fine line distinguished once again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<