#1 Hyrmine

Hyrmine
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Arms 2/1/1/1/1/0

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:00 PM

I was thinking about upgrading my GPU but it's only a 460 GTX and buying one now would mean I basically skipped only one generation, right? Would it be better to wait a bit for new ones to come out?
The one I was going to buy came out in October last year so maybe if I wait a few months there'll be a new budget card of the new generation that is a lot better?

#2 Pharaun

Pharaun
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:20 PM

What games, what screen resolution?

Also, nVidia maxwell (next architecture) isn't until 2014.  They may do some 700 desktop chips when AMD releases their new stuff - but that also isn't happening until like really late 2013 into 2014.

So it won't be a "few" months...
"Who, after all, is today speaking of the destruction of the Armenians?"

-Adolf Hitler, 1939

#3 Hyrmine

Hyrmine
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Arms 2/1/1/1/1/0

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:47 PM

I guess the really new technology comes in 2014 but I'm pretty sure they release new GPUs every year?

I was going to buy the Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 OC. It's a lot better than what I need but it's cheap and I don't plan to upgrade often. I thought that every time they release a new generation, like for example GeForce GTX 780 they also release a budget version like GTX 760. Is this incorrect?
Are you saying there won't be any new graphics cards any time soon?

Edited by Hyrmine, 12 May 2013 - 07:47 PM.

#4 chaplain

chaplain
  • Members

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:18 PM

they're coming with the 700 series where the top cards are gk110 so its a refresh of the kepler architecture, if you're looking at a 760 I think that's a gk106 card, whereas the 780 is definitely a gk110 the jury's still out last I checked on whether the 770 was gk106 or 110.

I heard some rumblings about a GTX Titan Ultra being released as flagship for the 700 series, considering how powerful the current titan and 690 are the pricing will be interesting as in how nvidia tier their cards

#5 Pharaun

Pharaun
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:45 AM

Again though, what games and what screen resolution?  It could be that the 460 will be fine for another year, depending on what you're doing.  For instance if all you do is play some random blizzard game, you don't even need a 460.
"Who, after all, is today speaking of the destruction of the Armenians?"

-Adolf Hitler, 1939

#6 ardnut

ardnut
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents:
  • RBG: 1743

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:50 AM

You should really answer Pharaun's questions as it would help us give you better advice.  Here is a comparison of your current product and the one you have suggested on buying.  So you can see how much better it is in certain games.  This should help you decide on whether it is worth it.  Also would be helpful if you told us what processor/mobo/RAM you are using.  Some games are CPU limited like WOW, and GPU makes little difference.  So again we need you to answer Pharaun's questions.

http://www.anandtech...duct/542?vs=548
* RBG/PvP Guild * Stormscale EU * Recruitment Thread * Click Below *
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<