• Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Shadow 0/2/0/2/2/2
  • RBG: 1572

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:41 PM

Hi all,

I've been playing Disc/Ret/BM recently, and while we're slowly improving I'm having some serious problems with Affl/FrostMage and Affl/Sp and Affl/Boomkin teams.  I am normally very agressive about dispelling, and prioritize getting people out of cc, deeps, devourings, etc.  Unfortunately this all breaks down against teams with an affliction lock.  The penalty of both ~100k in damage and the short silence is very steep, so I try to only dispell the most important things like deeps or devouring (although the Ret can clear these if she's not CCed).  Unfortunately this leaves my teammates sitting in more cc, and if I do dispell the short silence usually allows the other team enough time to get a ton of damage in, and opens me up to follow-up CC's.  This problem is worse for teams with both a lock and a sp, since the horror from removing VT often causes me to walk out from behind whatever pillar I was humping.

I have a somewhat lesser version of this problem with teamsith SP's, just because I usually try to dispell DPs and get horrored from also moving VT, and from just the first tick of DP plus whatever instants they have, the priest can put out a lot of damage before I come out of the horror.

Does anyone have suggestions on the best way to deal with these situations?

The only other problem I'm having is that I have to call for lots of peels if there's an unholy DK on me, but a Hpal has already opened a similar thread on that (http://www.arenajunk...-conservatioin/).

Thanks,

Real

#2 realgar

realgar
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:15 PM

And just to follow up, we made it up to 1880 before running into a lot of LSD 2.0 teams (http://www.arenajunk...-lazer-chicken/) and deciding to reform the team.  Even trying to heal as efficiently as possible, I go oom before too long even with 7.8k spirit.  We also have a hard time setting up CC chains on the shaman (or anyone) so it's pretty hard to get an early kill.  Any thoughts?  The one thing I haven't tried yet is going glyph of binding, but having to hardcast seems like it would be asking for trouble.

#3 Djandawg

Djandawg
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Genjuros
  • Raserei / Frenzy
  • Talents: Shadow

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:25 AM

Hi,
I don't play your comp but the following should be helpful:
Get the addon called Gladiatorlossa from Curse. It gives you a warning on CDs. Set it up so that it tells you when Dark Soul is popped. Dark Soul is the only time an affliction warlock is going to damage.
Your team doesn't need to face tank damage like a boss, put the warlock in a cc chain when he pops dark soul. - DO NOT OVERLAP.
If it's starting to look bad, run behind the pillar, every single player in your team and heal them.
Once dark soul is over, do the your regular stuff to get your kill.
For Mage/Affli Lock/Healer:
-Play with Inner WIll
-Use Cascade, it does wonders.
-Glyphs: Renew, Sw: Death, Prayer of Mending: When the spread damage is happening, keep everyone shielded, keep a renew on everyone. Don't be lazy and do it, it goes a long way.
You need to dispel frost bombs and deep freezes , if you are afraid of getting UA silenced, you can use Inner Focus, then dispel people, this way you won't get silenced, follow up with a big heal.
And remember, you can't tank or easily heal mage damage. If you can't dispel deep for some reason, don't hesitate to grip him behind the pillar and top him off.
-Try to use spirit shell a lot.
-If you feel like you need ret wings to land a kill and it's on cooldown, play defensive, kill pets etc and turtle until wings are back.
-You running for a follow up cc on healer is not always beneficial, put your psyfiend out there if your team is lacking defensives and you can't afford to be cc'd.
-Use your mindbender on cooldown.

Shadow priest/Affliction Lock is the same concept:
-Peel / Dodge Dark soul.
-Dispels exclusively on devouring plague, hunter or ret whoever is free interrupts Mindflay Insanity
-Make sure ret has pet fear macro for Psyfiend and Shadowfiend.
-Glyphs: Pom, Renew, Weakened Soul.

Again, keep everyone shielded, keep everyone renew'd, heal with pom and cascade. Binding Heal is not so effective. Splash damage ooms you fast, try to sneak in a few drinks. You can drink when you have put spirit shells on people.
Keep trash buffs on you, like penance for 3x grace at start on you + levitate + shield etc, so that they don't steal your ward easily.
Rotate defensives when you are in cc, do not overlap cds, if ret bubbles, you don't trinket, if hunter deters you don't trinket, if you PS, they don't pop defensives and so on.
As a general rule in arena, if your team isn't doing a good job offensively, enemy team will have better offense,, they will only focus on getting the kill since they don't have to worry about dying. This way you will fall behind easily. You can play a lot more offensively and contribute more to the win as priest when the enemy team can't put up any pressure because they are busy running for their lives against ret/hunter.
Make sure you are doing cc chains right, make sure you pop all your cds when people can't counter with defensives and so on.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Edited by Djandawg, 17 May 2013 - 12:55 AM.

#4 realgar

realgar
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:55 AM

Hi Djanqt,

Thanks for the detailed advice.  In particular I never put two and two together and realized I could use Inner Focus to avoid getting silenced from the dispels.  I also haven't tried cascade much.  I'll give it a shot and let you know how it goes.  Thanks,

Real

#5 Djandawg

Djandawg
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Genjuros
  • Raserei / Frenzy
  • Talents: Shadow

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:10 AM

Hey,
It was a bit long, I dunno how I wrote that much, anyways if you keep a shield + renew on everyone + pom + cascade, you'll have easier time healing splash damage.
Against spell cleaves, you can pop spirit shell and prayer of healing on yourself it will put a 50k shield on them also even though you are behind a pillar.
Try to get divine insight and track it with Weak auras or something, blizzard default ui doesn't show the proc as aura.

Edited by Djandawg, 17 May 2013 - 01:11 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Affliction, dispell, disc, healing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<