• Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Eredar
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Marksmanship

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:14 AM

http://www.marketwat...oost-2013-05-08

http://www.mmo-champ...ion-Subscribers

Not sure what f2p competition they're talking about, the last big launch was GW2 and Neverwinter already looks to be a non-factor because of p2w.

Maybe some Asian only MMOs? Continent of the Ninth and Archeage? I don't know. What's big in China? That's the only place where WoW has meaningful numbers.

1.3 million in a single quarter is gigantic though, that's worse than any of the end of Cata quarters where people were trying to move on to D3/GW2/etc and everyone hated the game.

So much for MoP bringing subs back up over 10 mil. Thoughts?

Edited by fant0m8, 09 May 2013 - 07:14 AM.

Bye again! This game isn't fun when you don't know anyone else that still plays.

#2 ardnut

ardnut
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents:
  • RBG: 1743

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:54 AM

Cancelled sub a few days ago... just got bored... I have nothing to do cuz friends quit.  I won't say I quit because I always end up coming back.
* RBG/PvP Guild * Stormscale EU * Recruitment Thread * Click Below *
Posted Image

#3 Affect

Affect
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents:

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:56 AM

I think it's to be expected. The people that "grew up" on WoW are getting older and are either going to more casual games or stopping completely. These later generations are tuned more towards console games or MOBAS. Not to mention there is no competitive scene in WoW. It's amazing how many people can get pulled towards a game that has 100s of thousands of dollars in prize pools.

Honestly, I believe streamers have caused some of this. Due to the amount of variety in streamers it's very easy to watch them and ultimately have them play for you. This isn't a diss to any of the streamers at all, it's actually quite impressive what some of those streamers have come up with and/or have going for them.

WoW is without a doubt a dying game. A very slow dying game, but one nonetheless. However, you can't knock them having such a successful life span. It is still ultimately the smoothest running MMO out there. I am quite sure they are happy with how well and for how long their game has stayed popular. I don't think it's even their fault. Yea the game has problems, as does any game. I believe it's just MMO's in general that is a dying breed.

The game itself is just old, yet still has almost complete control in the MMO market. So kudos to them. With that being said I don't believe they'll ever see an increase in subscribers. Maybe a few short spike resubs, but I don't ever foresee them going over 10m ever again.

#4 Regent

Regent
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Mistweaver 1/0/2/0/0/1
  • 2v2: 2273
  • 3v3: 2634
  • 5v5: 2359
  • RBG: 2126

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:02 AM

Its to be expected. Blizzard has pretty much given up on WoW. MoP was the first expansion with almost nothing "new" added to the game.

People are just leaving for mobas/dota-likes/whichever f2p mmo they like, etc.

I expect the trend to continue, and the loss of that many subs is probably less than the amount of people who dont play but are subbed out of habit.

Edited by Regent, 09 May 2013 - 08:03 AM.

#5 Eveny

Eveny
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Shadow 1/0/0/1/2/1
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:03 AM

Still 8 million pve'ers left.

the pvp side is just boring unless you're a mage/hunter or sp

if AT didn't had dead 3s i'd play that.
If you have problems understanding my post, don't assume something and hit the reply button but read it again.

#6 fant0m8

fant0m8
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Eredar
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Marksmanship

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:08 AM

View PostAffect, on 09 May 2013 - 07:56 AM, said:

Honestly, I believe streamers have caused some of this. Due to the amount of variety in streamers it's very easy to watch them and ultimately have them play for you. This isn't a diss to any of the streamers at all, it's actually quite impressive what some of those streamers have come up with and/or have going for them.

Wouldn't this apply to the Dota-like games too?
Bye again! This game isn't fun when you don't know anyone else that still plays.

#7 Capstone

Capstone

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:14 AM

View Postfant0m8, on 09 May 2013 - 07:14 AM, said:

http://www.marketwat...oost-2013-05-08

http://www.mmo-champ...ion-Subscribers

Not sure what f2p competition they're talking about, the last big launch was GW2 and Neverwinter already looks to be a non-factor because of p2w.

Maybe some Asian only MMOs? Continent of the Ninth and Archeage? I don't know. What's big in China? That's the only place where WoW has meaningful numbers.

1.3 million in a single quarter is gigantic though, that's worse than any of the end of Cata quarters where people were trying to move on to D3/GW2/etc and everyone hated the game.

So much for MoP bringing subs back up over 10 mil. Thoughts?
people who were entering high school when WoW came out graduated college last year

looking at other MMOs may not be the correct angle to view where they have reallocated their time

#8 Affect

Affect
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents:

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:23 AM

View Postfant0m8, on 09 May 2013 - 08:08 AM, said:

Wouldn't this apply to the Dota-like games too?

I believe so to some extent. However I believe most people that watch dota/lol games are ultimately trying to fine tune their own individual game play. After you watch a lol/dota game you can just log in and try to recreate a style/play style you just saw, or at least attempt to(I guess there is an exception in LoL with their lvling system). In WoW lets say hypothetically I see some streamer play a rogue and I love it. Except I don't have a rogue. It would take me 10 days "played" to just level it and gear it up so I can start getting the gear he has.

You do have a point though and it certainly does apply to a large number.

#9 vomite

vomite
  • Junkies
  • Unknown Raceclass_name
  • EU-Darksorrow
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Restoration 2/0/2/1/0/0
  • RBG: 1328

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:45 AM

Boring patch, evry team has a rogue or shadowpriest, nothing to do outside of big servers, theres literally 2 ppl besides me on darksorrow horde thats above 2,2k and i cba migrating all my chars and i guess many people feel the same way. and also rbg's on eu died, there are the glad/r1 groups, some serious hota/h groups and about 2 2,2k-2,4k pugs which usually suck dick because you meet real teams and just lose, before the wintrade fix i could get a pug evry day, now barely one after 3 hours of afk in stormscale trade chat/irc

#10 Saikx

Saikx
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Ravencrest
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Arcane 0/0/0/2/0/2
  • 2v2: 2137
  • 3v3: 2624
  • RBG: 2184

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:17 AM

shit game, LoL is the future

Posted Image

Visit my stream: http://www.twitch.tv/saikx

#11 Ayrasaurus

Ayrasaurus
  • Junkies
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Arms 1/1/2/1/1/0
  • RBG: 2379
  • LocationYorkshire mates

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:31 AM

Most people play other MMOs nowadays tbh. Back in the day wow was the only good mmo pretty much or well polished ones but with games like GW2/Neverwinter/Tera (kinda) and Mobas like lol/dota/hon/smite there is just so much choice to play games which can serve as timesinks just like wow apart from they are free to play or have no sub fee. I think it is time for wow to lose to sub and just focus more on micro transactions imo because people don't want to spend 80quid on a ton of expansions then a 10 quid sub a month when they can just pick up one of the other f2p games which are just as fun.

Edited by Ayrasaurus, 09 May 2013 - 09:32 AM.

Posted Image

emotional

Posted Image

Thaya Ayra Omegatfwnogfboys2k15

#12 Evolute

Evolute
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Restoration 0/2/0/1/0/0
  • RBG: 192
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:32 AM

Honestly, MOP isn't even a bad expansion. The worst complaint I have is daily quests. PVP balance is not the best, but thats not why people are quitting. I hope they don't take this to mean heavy changes, because the questing/lore/environment/raids etc were fun and engaging

It's just an old game sadly

wow 2.0 pls pls

Posted Image

#13 Baksteen

Baksteen
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Protection
  • RBG: 576
  • Locationup and down in and out

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:40 AM

I quit the game due to pve trinks in pvp as i did in s11 can't stand that shit.

I will play Tournament Realm when it's up again as that is the most fun thing for WoW PVP where the competition is actually lot's of fun.

Right now im playing lot's of diff games on and off just to waste my time on but mainly Smite (3th person WoW meets LoL game)

I am waiting for Elder Scrolls Online release to be my new MMO

Edited by Baksteen, 09 May 2013 - 09:41 AM.

#14 ImSoAesthetic

ImSoAesthetic
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Arathi
  • Vengeance / Rache
  • Talents: Frost

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:50 AM

make sense, i mean why would you queue in arena if you are not a shadowpriest or a hunter ?

#15 Mirionx

Mirionx
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Holy 1/2/2/2/2/0
  • RBG: 2662

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:56 AM

View PostSalutations, on 09 May 2013 - 09:44 AM, said:

A part was in china, rest is in EU/US. They said they will lose subscriptions again in the next few months.

"Most of the decline in subscribers came from China."

#16 ImSoAesthetic

ImSoAesthetic
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Arathi
  • Vengeance / Rache
  • Talents: Frost

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:11 AM

The remaining 8.3 M are from China, Blizzard already lose the EU/US market a while ago (during cata), 1,3 M lose in 2 months is very alerting and they are planning to lose even more.
The only point to play in EU/US is to stream and make money, otherwise there is just nothing to do. As a PvE player, i can say PvE is as boring as PvP right now.

Blizz don't care about WoW anymore, their top developpers are all focus on Titan and this is pretty logic, they will probably make huge amount of money with it.

Edited by changee, 09 May 2013 - 10:14 AM.

#17 WildeHilde

WildeHilde
  • Content Editors
  • Curse Premium
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • EU-Aegwynn
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Combat 1/1/2/1/1/0
  • RBG: 2215
  • LocationSouthern Germany

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:21 AM

Don't think PvP is much of a reason. If you compare 5.2 to the start of S11 balance is actually a lot better. But people quit if their class gets nerfed (warriors 5.2, priests & rogues in 5.3) because most of PvP players like to play a class only if it's at least a bit too strong. Means better balance can actually hurt the PvP subscription numbers in short terms.

Overall this expansion is awesome and in my opinion the best expansion so far. There is a ton of stuff I would like to do but can't due to lack of time (Challenge Modes, Brawler's Guild, legendary quest).

People quit all the time for many reasons.

The issue however is (talking about PvP here):
The start into the game is horrible. If you are 90 and are happy to start with pvp you have no gear, have to endure random groups with people botting, pretty much no team play. No achievements and you only get RBG groups with pretty much zero coordination, no one to explain you anything and a kick after looking 2 hours for an invite without comment. The guilds are not social, no helping/explaining, no one responding in the guild chat. Means if you don't know someone that is willing to explain and carry you - you are pretty much screwed. And the only source of help you can easily find is the boosting ads selling you access to RBG groups by selling achievements. If the intro into PvP isn't eased and people get a chance to actually learn and improve PvP will not cause new or lasting subscriptions.

#18 Ilidio

Ilidio
  • Premium Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Grim Batol
  • Misery
  • Talents: Restoration 0/2/1/1/0/0
  • RBG: 384
  • LocationLisbon

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:07 AM

Can someone explain me what Titan is going to be?
Posted Image

#19 Snuggli

Snuggli
  • Junkies
  • Taurenclass_name
  • EU-Steamwheedle Cartel
  • Glutsturm / Emberstorm
  • Talents: Feral 2/0/2/1/0/2
  • 2v2: 1925
  • 3v3: 2209
  • RBG: 384
  • LocationUK

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:18 AM

View PostMirionx, on 09 May 2013 - 09:39 AM, said:

You know the most drops were in China right? And that they got some new F2P MMORPG over there which is the main reason behind the loses.

This is one of the only legit posts on this entire thread. I don't know the number, but a massive portion of those sub drops were from the East where there is tonnes of F2P mmos. WoW simply can't compete over there, it's nothing to do with the quality of game, just cost. Blizz won't lower their price or remove the sub button just for China because they can quite happily make a profit just off EU/US subs. Sub Numbers don't really much if you don't look at company profit.

Hell, WoW could even have less active players than GW2 and still make more money than it.

Edited by Snuggli, 09 May 2013 - 11:19 AM.

View PostBraindance, on 11 October 2013 - 12:44 PM, said:

Go listen to some Bieber shit and leave me alone fucko.

#20 Jojonephew

Jojonephew
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Fire 1/2/0/2/1/1
  • RBG: 2269
  • Location?

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:26 AM

The thing Blizz can do right now is make wow subscription cheaper, 13 euro a month for a 7 year old game is way too much then they ll see the numbers rising again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<