• Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Argent Dawn
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • Talents: Affliction 0/0/1/2/0/1
  • RBG: 2123
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:03 AM

Heyo, I recently started a resto shaman but got kinda disheartened when I came to your class forum and noticed there wasn't really anything useful beside an old topic from october 2012. I've never tried healing before, so I need some very basic advice;

When do you use what? Healing Surge etc.
Whats the best usage of the riptide buff?
Unleash elements?

What about the talents? When do you choose windwalk over earthgrab, or totemic projection over totemic restoration?

Whats the stat priority like, spirit first, but then?

Would be very happy if some kind soul could give me some basic advice for a new healer

View PostBraindance, on 22 June 2013 - 07:05 AM, said:

The current season is at a very good spot balance-wise. There is a comp variety that hasn't been seen in the game since s8.

#2 Flabbert

Flabbert
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Elemental 0/0/1/2/0/2
  • RBG: 2460

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:38 AM

Riptide > unleash > healing surge. When theres little pressure you can fill this up with healing waves to conserve some mana.
Just make sure you keep Tidal Waves up from the riptide buff before casting a Healing surge or Healing Wave.

I rarely take Earthgrab totem over windwalk totem, And totemic restoration is just too good for 3's to not use it. Totemic projection becomes good in Rbg's as you can throw you capa totem into a beam vortex.

Stat priority can differ abit. I've seen shamans go full out Mastery or Crit. I reforged crit as it gives a good synergy between your Resurgence from Water shield. More crits means you get more mana back from casted spells.

Blacksmithing and Jewelcrafting is really good for resto shamans. See my armory for gemming.
Posted Image

#3 Xhanon

Xhanon
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Kazzak
  • Misery
  • Talents:
  • RBG: 2280
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:12 AM

Also if you have the time/overview of your totems duration, use you're totemic recall before you're totems expires, it will give you alot of mana back if you remember that

#4 Shawir

Shawir
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Archimonde
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • Talents: Arms
  • RBG: 2477

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:20 AM

ye man a good shaman like flubbah or dakkroth should make one

Posted Image

#5 Persephones

Persephones
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Argent Dawn
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:30 PM

Sweet cheers guys. Do you ever use greater healing waves then? Or is it just surge when a lot of healing is needed right here and now, and healing wave to heal efficiently? I guess you use NS + GHW for when shit hits the fan.

I was just curious about totemic projection, because totemic restoration seems a bit pointless outside of tremor / grounding, so when you meet physical cleaves, wouldn't that ranged cap stun be better?

Windwalk vs mages to fuck them up?

Edited by Persephones, 27 April 2013 - 02:33 PM.

The current season is at a very good spot balance-wise. There is a comp variety that hasn't been seen in the game since s8.

#6 Flabbert

Flabbert
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Elemental 0/0/1/2/0/2
  • RBG: 2460

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:40 PM

I think GHW is a users preferance. For instance, i never ever see Cdew casting GHW's but when i watch Flubbah he uses it quiete sometimes to heal himself up after he had some pressure on him.
I dont really use it myself. Aslong your able to keep Tidal waves up i rarely ns ghw eather. The crit from a surge is always bigger and the chance for that to happen is alot bigger too than a ghw.

And about totemic restoration, i use it on my windwalk totem too. Its perfect to get us out of roots and i dont need it any longer as its job allready has been done. This gives it a nice 35s cooldown and considering almost every class has some kind of root these days.

I think totemic resto is pretty good against cleaves too, It's annoying when there training you and cleaning your totems that you just used but it keeps them abit busy too so more room to do things and your getting reduced cooldowns on the totems they just destroyed.

Must add to this, i've started wow at the start of MoP and been lurking any info i could get about shamans. So dont blame me if anything i said might be abit off. Still in the learning process myself!

Edited by Flabbert, 27 April 2013 - 03:52 PM.

Posted Image

#7 Improve

Improve
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Burning Blade
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Elemental 2/1/2/0/0/2
  • RBG: 576
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:10 PM

View PostPersephones, on 27 April 2013 - 02:30 PM, said:

Sweet cheers guys. Do you ever use greater healing waves then? Or is it just surge when a lot of healing is needed right here and now, and healing wave to heal efficiently? I guess you use NS + GHW for when shit hits the fan.

I was just curious about totemic projection, because totemic restoration seems a bit pointless outside of tremor / grounding, so when you meet physical cleaves, wouldn't that ranged cap stun be better?

I prefer GHW over Healing surge. Healing surge is just way too much mana, I just make sure to riptide before throwing out a GHW.

My preference for healing is: Riptide > Unleash > Healing Surge > GHW > Healing Surge

Healing surge is still good to use in some situations when I'm dangerously low and have to get a heal off.

Totemic restoration is amazing, good counters to casters and against teams that kill link/healing/mana tides. Overall it's definitely the best of the 3 in that tier.

I always pick Windwalk, the freedoms are too clutch whether it's for getting away or helping your team go offensive if you play with melee it's a must.

Other than that it comes down to positioning and predicting switches onto you. With many Spriest teams I always watch to see who the spriest is targetting because he sets it up, he'll try and cast a VT on me or a mind blast and thats my q to earth shield myself drop a grounding and run behind a pillar.

Only issue I come across is whether I should be close enough to shear/hex the enemy team and I found it's best to see what comp youre playing, obviously against a thugcleave im not going to bother getting in range of them, I'll just max range and dispel/top my team, if I see the hunter get close to me I'll drop a grounding and go for a hex but other than that it's just max range.

Posted Image

#8 Conviqx

Conviqx
  • Conviq
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Subtlety 1/2/2/0/0/1
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:31 PM

Keep calm and apply riptide at all times
http://www.twitch.tv/conviq

Dost Thou Even Hoist?

#9 Korzul

Korzul
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Doomhammer
  • Blackout
  • Talents: Enhancement 0/2/0/1/1/2
  • 2v2: 2243
  • 3v3: 2664
  • 5v5: 480
  • RBG: 1151

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:15 PM

Do you ever use greater healing waves then? Or is it just surge when a lot of healing is needed right here and now, and healing wave to heal efficiently? I guess you use NS + GHW for when shit hits the fan.

Greater healing wave is better health per mana than healing surge.
Healing surge is better health per second than GHW.

99% of the time you'll be using casted surges. If you ever find yourself behind a pillar after LoSing say on half health and safe then it's more efficient to top yourself up with a GHW (provided you need to get out again to help with cc/purges and can't just chill and let hots top you).

As for NS, i always use GHW. An NS without an unleash pretty much sucks, you want to do your best to always unleash before using NS in which case a GHW non crit will still take someone well out of the danger zone. A surge may have a higher chance to crit and top someone fully but i much prefer the definate extra healing GHW brings. Also you don't always have tidal waves up when you need to NS (purges/not enough time to riptide given you really need to unleash) and as NS is your panic "oh shit" button you don't really have time to check buffs and actively think "do i have tidal waves and should i use surge or GHW for this"

totemic restoration seems a bit pointless outside of tremor / grounding
The reduced cooldown on link/tide when they get killed is very useful against melee cleaves.

As resto i'd always pick windwalk or frost shock root. It depends largely on comp but i personally love the utility the root brings, be it too extend cross cc chains, land cap totems (root thinks during fear and drop a cap next to them) and just to annoy melee who try to tunnel you.
I always take windwalk for RBGs though as landing them just before a grip/beam lets your entire team get out a lot faster.

#10 Persephones

Persephones
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Argent Dawn
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:03 PM

oh yeah totally forgot about it affecting link/tide, good one!

and I like the hps/hpm comparison, thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<