EpicRewind is video capture software that has a key differentiating feature: RAM RollingBuffer mode. This works like an on-demand instant-replay: a game is hooked and the video is continuously buffered in system RAM, when something cool happens the user can save the buffer contents with the press of a hotkey. So rather than saving video from your entire gaming session you can just save the good stuff after it actually happens. In addition, EpicRewind provides some nice performance benefits over traditional capture software: video processing, encoding and writing to disk only happen when you choose to save a video clip. During video buffering, the contents of the framebuffer are just being copied to system memory X times per second based your specified capture FPS.
Key advantages of the RAM RollingBuffer:
- You don't need to pre-plan a gaming video, you can just play the game without thinking of the video at all. If something interesting happens you can always choose to save it after it's happened.
- Ideal for MMOs and Multiplayer games where 99% of the gameplay isn't worth sharing and the interesting stuff can happen at unexpected times.
- One of the best benefits is that it saves you time by eliminating the need to dig through all your saved gameplay footage to find the good stuff.
- Saves disk space by not writing countless hours of video to disk your just going to throw away later after you dig out the highlights.
- More efficient use of system resources by not processing and encoding video the entire time your gaming.
We are at the point now where we have a usable beta build and are looking for more folks to try it out. If this sounds interesting to you feel free to send me a PM and I’ll get you signed up, alternatively you can also email me at:
If you really like the idea, we've just launched a Kickstarter for the project here:
Anyway, thanks for reading!