bandet
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Beast Mastery 1/0/1/0/1/1
  • RBG: 1832

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:01 AM

Okay, so.. A lot of people think the new "x-realm" arena system will mirror the current RBG style system, which is you having a personal rating, and your teams rating will be an average of the 3 players.

Clarification: The new xrealm arena system is theoretical. Blizzard has so far made no official statement that I know of on how it will work, only that it is something they would like to do. If it would ever be implemented, a lot of people think it would likely be similar to the RBG system.

Got me thinking

Since there will be no team ranks, only personal ranks, it would be very feasible to actually give Gladiator to the top of each respective Class instead of the top overall.

This would make PvP more balanced as a whole, as you are ranked against your peers, not everyone else. It would also encourage people to play underplayed classes in arenas in the same way people now transfer to underpopulated servers to get gladiator/r1. This would overall be good for the arena community as it would bring more diversity.

Going a bit further on this concept, you could even make it spec-specific, and have your character have different ratings for each one of the specs. This would encourage people to play underplayed specs that normally never see the light of day in arenas.

Here is another benefit of this system that I thought of:

We have long wanted multiple arena teams, so we could have our "super ceral team" where we push for rating and then have our "for teh lulz" team we can dick around with friends who are either undergeared/underskilled or just have nothing better to do while partners are away.

If you have different ratings for each spec, this goal will be accomplished. I can say, play my MM spec on my serious team, and then dick around with friends as SV.

This implementation of the ranking system was never really possible in arenas until now due to the team rank as opposed to the individual rank, but now that it is we should make the best possible use of it to improve the game as a whole.

At any rate, Holinka says that it probably wouldn't happen for Gladiator due to the tradition attached to that title, but they could add another "gladiator" which would be class-based.

Anyways, if the Xrealm arena turns out to be like what I put forth, it should include this feature. If it doesn't turn out like that, it should, so it could include this feature.

What do you guys think on the subject?

#2 Demonspawn85

Demonspawn85

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:14 AM

I don't know...
Definitely not spec specific at any rate. That's like 34 unique titles going out in a season.
d(^.~)z

#3 Persephones

Persephones
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Argent Dawn
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • Talents: Affliction 0/0/1/2/0/1
  • RBG: 2123
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:18 AM

In theory class specific gladiator would make sense, considering gladiator atm is like 70% comp based, however on the flip side this would probably cause a lot of people to play whichever class is the least represented on the ladders

View PostBraindance, on 22 June 2013 - 07:05 AM, said:

The current season is at a very good spot balance-wise. There is a comp variety that hasn't been seen in the game since s8.

#4 Eowynnz

Eowynnz
  • Junkies
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • EU-Frostmane
  • Misery
  • Talents: Affliction 0/1/0/0/0/0
  • 2v2: 1778
  • 3v3: 2176
  • 5v5: 2242
  • RBG: 1655

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:30 AM

View PostPersephones, on 24 April 2013 - 08:18 AM, said:

this would probably cause a lot of people to play whichever class is the least represented on the ladders

Which is bad why?
twitch.tv/eowynnlol
2400+ rls/shadowplay

#5 Drake

Drake
  • Junkies
  • Taurenclass_name
  • EU-Drak'thul
  • Reckoning / Abrechnung
  • Talents: Feral Combat

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:47 AM

View PostPersephones, on 24 April 2013 - 08:18 AM, said:

In theory class specific gladiator would make sense, considering gladiator atm is like 70% comp based, however on the flip side this would probably cause a lot of people to play whichever class is the least represented on the ladders
Which would in turn cause it to become more represented, thus making the competition thicker.

I kinda like it. I don't agree with the spec thing though. Too hard to implement a system that would keep track of your spec in every single game and calculate your CR from that. Taking into account only your last spec would obviously open doors to insane abuse.

#6 bandet

bandet
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:55 AM

Spec specific would simply be a matter of having multiple ratings, one for each of your spec. Just like how you have multiple ratings for differing brackets.

It would be rather simple to do, compared to the rest of the game.

You wouldn't necessarily have to get a spec-specific title, I think giving the class-specific title to all of the specs would be good enough.

Spec-specific would be a necessity if the system was going to be done, especially considering hybrid classes. For Example, there would probably be a lot more Disc Priests total than Shadow Priests, since not every team works with a shadow priest, but most work with a disc priest. This would make it hard for a shadow priest to get gladiator.

Also, spec-specific would allow the bad specs to come out and play, which has never been possible before. Class-specific doesn't.

#7 Persephones

Persephones
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Argent Dawn
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • Talents: Affliction 0/0/1/2/0/1
  • RBG: 2123
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:26 AM

View PostEowynnz, on 24 April 2013 - 08:30 AM, said:

Which is bad why?

In theory it could be great, but I foresee a lot of people jumping classes every season to whichever gives them the biggest chance, would cause so much drama and whine on the forums about people being "forced", I dunno. I just find it a little iffy.

Actually the more I think of it the more I like it. Spec-specific for some classes could be alright, but it'd be weird to have random 1600 rated prot wars and combat rogues getting glad fx.

Edited by Persephones, 24 April 2013 - 10:29 AM.

View PostBraindance, on 22 June 2013 - 07:05 AM, said:

The current season is at a very good spot balance-wise. There is a comp variety that hasn't been seen in the game since s8.

#8 bandet

bandet
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:26 PM

View PostPersephones, on 24 April 2013 - 10:26 AM, said:

In theory it could be great, but I foresee a lot of people jumping classes every season to whichever gives them the biggest chance

How exactly is this any different than now?

View PostPersephones, on 24 April 2013 - 10:26 AM, said:

Actually the more I think of it the more I like it. Spec-specific for some classes could be alright, but it'd be weird to have random 1600 rated prot wars and combat rogues getting glad fx.

This would be the point. If being 1600 is in the top .05% of combat rogues, then don't they deserve gladiator for doing that well as a combat rogue?

The system would reward players for doing well at what they do. Much better than being penalized for playing a spec you like.

#9 Udderly

Udderly
  • Members
  • Trollclass_name
  • US-Kil'jaeden
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents:
  • RBG: 1918

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:43 PM

View Postbandet, on 24 April 2013 - 12:26 PM, said:

How exactly is this any different than now?

This would be the point. If being 1600 is in the top .05% of combat rogues, then don't they deserve gladiator for doing that well as a combat rogue?

The system would reward players for doing well at what they do. Much better than being penalized for playing a spec you like.

As someone who seems to be a glutton for punishment and plays specs that typically make me want to tear my eyes out (moonkin and ele) I would love something to even the playing field.  It's always fun knowing that someone who decides to FOTM it automatically has a better chance at a title than I do.  As someone who really likes his hippie toons (druid and shaman fit my personality too well) I'm not much for rerolling because something is stronger, typically.

#10 bandet

bandet
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:43 PM

Here is another benefit of this system that I thought of:

We have long wanted multiple arena teams, so we could have our "super ceral team" where we push for rating and then have our "for teh lulz" team we can dick around with friends who are either undergeared/underskilled or just have nothing better to do while partners are away.

If you have different ratings for each spec, this goal will be accomplished. I can say, play my MM spec on my serious team, and then dick around with friends as SV.

#11 Massai

Massai
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Bleeding Hollow
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Survival 1/0/0/0/1/1
  • RBG: 1409

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:34 PM

I REALLY like this idea. forward to Blizz ASAP, implement 5.3.  No Excuses Blizzard! Class specific title/reward i like as well,though i wouldnt call it "gladiator" because of the history of that title.   Maybe do class specific things e.g. Swordsman for warriors, Elementalist for shamans, Stalker for hunters(or rogues) Wizard might be a popular one, umm...just ideas......

#12 Hoodzx

Hoodzx
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Protection 1/1/2/1/0/2
  • 2v2: 1786
  • 3v3: 2299
  • 5v5: 2229
  • RBG: 2225
  • LocationFRANCE

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:31 PM

I really like that idea but theres still one problem :

If your class is shit, you wont get any partners because they'll prefer to take OP classes to go high and aim the title.

But +rep for this.

#13 Canas!

Canas!
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Hellscream
  • Raserei / Frenzy
  • Talents: Holy

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

This has been suggested since season 1. Not happening.

kenny said:

3.2 Warriors are worst class in the game for 3v3.

#14 bandet

bandet
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:36 PM

View PostHoodzx, on 24 April 2013 - 05:31 PM, said:

I really like that idea but theres still one problem :

If your class is shit, you wont get any partners because they'll prefer to take OP classes to go high and aim the title.

But +rep for this.

And how exactly is this different than now?

At least with this new system you can find 2 other shit classes and play, and get gladiator as shit classes, as opposed to just not being able to play at all.

View PostCanas!, on 24 April 2013 - 05:37 PM, said:

This has been suggested since season 1. Not happening.

No, it hasn't.

Main difference is the fact that it wouldn't even be possible with the current arena system. All the factors/mechanics that would make the suggested system possible weren't even conceived of in season 1 and they still don't exist now.

Asking for class-specific gladiator in a team is no where near what I am asking for.

I don't think you fully comprehend the idea.

#15 Hoodzx

Hoodzx
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Protection 1/1/2/1/0/2
  • 2v2: 1786
  • 3v3: 2299
  • 5v5: 2229
  • RBG: 2225
  • LocationFRANCE

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:41 PM

View Postbandet, on 24 April 2013 - 06:36 PM, said:

And how exactly is this different than now?

At least with this new system you can find 2 other shit classes and play, and get gladiator as shit classes, as opposed to just not being able to play at all.

Quite true actually...

Even if some notorious players will just have their alts nearly boosted :P

Edited by Hoodzx, 24 April 2013 - 06:41 PM.

#16 Reirei

Reirei
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Assassination 2/2/1/1/0/0
  • RBG: 1952
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:29 PM

Hi Bandet! How is scattershot doing, still getting dodged? :P

Back to topic: i kind of like this idea, it would definitely promote more varierity on arena, but i would keep it by class speciffic as the game can't exactly say which spec i am actually playing when i do arena. Example, if you look at my profile, it says i am assassination even though i pvp only as sub :P

The title could be something like: Tyranical Gladiator: Hunter

It would also help other see, what class you got your glad title with, as right now the only way to know, if someone is good at their class is their statistics and not actual glad title. I personally hate, when ppl link their glad title but actually rerolled new classes and have no idea how to play it.

Not gonna + rep, cuz i can't stand your (imo) unreasonable QQ on wow forums.
shut up pvp guy

#17 Zugdar

Zugdar
  • Members

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:07 PM

Interesting idea, I like it

#18 Demonspawn85

Demonspawn85

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:05 AM

View PostReirei, on 24 April 2013 - 09:29 PM, said:

It would also help other see, what class you got your glad title with, as right now the only way to know, if someone is good at their class is their statistics and not actual glad title

Gladiator isn't character specific?
d(^.~)z

#19 Reirei

Reirei
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Assassination 2/2/1/1/0/0
  • RBG: 1952
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:45 AM

View PostDemonspawn85, on 25 April 2013 - 02:05 AM, said:

Gladiator isn't character specific?

not quite, you can still see the archiv on other chars, they just don't get the title
shut up pvp guy

#20 bandet

bandet
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:29 PM

View PostReirei, on 24 April 2013 - 09:29 PM, said:

Hi Bandet! How is scattershot doing, still getting dodged? :P

Back to topic: i kind of like this idea, it would definitely promote more varierity on arena, but i would keep it by class speciffic as the game can't exactly say which spec i am actually playing when i do arena. Example, if you look at my profile, it says i am assassination even though i pvp only as sub :P

The title could be something like: Tyranical Gladiator: Hunter

It would also help other see, what class you got your glad title with, as right now the only way to know, if someone is good at their class is their statistics and not actual glad title. I personally hate, when ppl link their glad title but actually rerolled new classes and have no idea how to play it.

Not gonna + rep, cuz i can't stand your (imo) unreasonable QQ on wow forums.

First, yes, scatter shot still gets dodged quite often.
Second, yes the game can see what spec you que as. It is a simple matter of having different ratings for each spec, and they become active when you swap to said spec.
Third, grow up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<