#1 Hyrmine

Hyrmine
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Arms 2/1/1/1/1/0

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:54 PM

In the feature section of this page (http://www.asrock.co...Intel/Z77 Pro3/) they say that this mainboard improves ping. I didn't know that mainboards could do that and thought it's all up to the internet connection.

Is this true?

#2 Thaya

Thaya
  • Moderators
  • LocationRussia

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:14 PM

Bullshit.

It's just software that lets you edit network settings and imitate QoS. There's hundreds of those utilities already and there's enough information on all the settings on sites like speedguide.net; QoS (priorities, basically) is better organized on your router, but there's software that lets you do it on your machine too.

It is true, however, that you can achieve better latency or bandwidth by tweaking TCP/IP settings, in some rare cases, to great effect (e.g. disabling Nagle's algorithm for WoW a few years ago). Speedguide even has an official utility iirc, but make sure you read up on what you're doing before you do anything.

There were a few gaming NICs (network cards) that promised better ping and whatnot, but none of them were successful. There's simply nothing you can optimize at the hardware layer of the protocol stack - nothing a single home user will ever notice.

IMPORTANT EDIT: Also something I completely forgot to mention. I noticed people go crazy over the idea of QoS sometimes (for gaming/home) but don't let that fool you. You're only in control of your outgoing connections, never inbound. You have almost no effect on how info coming to you is prioritized - best case is prioritizing HTTP or similar protocols that are based on sending requests for information, to get the request out a little quicker. QoS will not do anything for you unless outband is your bottleneck, which it probably isn't for you at home; the reason the technology itself is fairly popular and there's so much information about it is because it's essential for servers.

Edited by Thaya, 23 April 2013 - 06:56 AM.

Default UI Scripts - Compilation & how-to

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<