• Curse Sites
Help

[Disc Priest] Dropping Psyfiend for Mind Control @ 3s?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

• Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Aegwynn
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Restoration 1/2/2/0/2/0
  • 2v2: 2117
  • 3v3: 2515
  • 5v5: 1248
  • RBG: 192

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:33 PM

Hi there,

just as the title says, what do you think of using Mind Control over Psyfiend for 3s? I've lately thought about this quite alot but i'm not 100% sure yet. I'll just list my personal view on it, the pros and the cons of both MC and Psyfiend.

I would be happy to get some more views on this since i might be missing out on something. Also, can the tier 1 talent choice be influenced by the comp you play? Currently running Punchmonk/Hunter/Disc, peaked at 2122 today.

EDIT: TL,DR version at the bottom! I understand that this is quite a bit of text.

+++Psyfiend
@ instant cast
@ eats tons of hunter traps (the reason i'd always use this against hunter teams anyways, my question just points at playing vs. non-hunter teams)
@ works out of your own los
@ you don't have to move away from your pillar as much to potentially get fears, saves you from unnecessary cc or even damage
@ sometimes forces enemies to throw kicks / cc at it, which frees you up for more hardcasting

- - - Psyfiend
@ macro turn evil
@ sometimes won't do anything at all. This is really my main concern. At least 3 out of 4 times my psyfiend just sits there doing nothing. Since I might just miss out on something, are there any major "secret tricks" on how to place it so it will reliably fear stuff? i don't even care about it fearing the "wrong" target, but having it sit around doing nothing gets me frustrated.

+++ Mind Control
@ it's actually reliable as long as you can get the cast off.
@ doesn't DR with fear, can be used for ridiculously long cc chains
@ forces people to interrupt it, freeing you up for easy holy-school hardcasts since it's a shadow-school spell
@ when trained by a single person, in case you're getting locked out you can just MC them to avoid some damage instead of just tanking it
@ can be used to prevent healing on the target just like cyclone. gives you more time to further cc your MC'ed target's teammates and finish it off afterwards
@ can be used to place opponents in your own teammates' traps/ rings of frost or even in enemy traps/ rings of frost

- - - Mind Control
@ for its duration, you're ccing yourself along with your MC target. This is obviously the main problem because you can't make use of MC when you're already behind in a game and the enemy team has a lot of momentum. My main thought is, I feel like despite this problem it might still be useful more often than psyfiend because, as stated above, psyfiend does nothing a lot of the time. At least for me that is.

So, these are my views on the subject, i highlighted the main problems and thoughts i came up with. Any input is appreciated. Since this is quite a huge wall of text,
TL,DR: Is it (ever) worth it using Mind Control over Psyfiend in 3s? If so, why? If not so, why? For Disc that is.

As always, best greetings to you guys.
P.S. I hope my english didn't make this brick wall of text and facts a torture to read.

#2 ardnut

ardnut
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents:
  • RBG: 1743

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:14 AM

Can also be a great defensive tool (MC).  On z axis maps you can walk people off the edge.  I don't see many priests using MC.  I remember one guy on the forums saying it was awesome but I'm unable to find his post.  If I was you I would just try it out over a few sessions.  If it doesn't work go back to using Pysfiend.

As you said the major drawback is you CC yourself...but if your team is topped off and their team is at 50% HP, you can CC the healer and if the damage is equal from both sides, their team will be at 10% hp and yours will be at 60% by the time it has finished.  So smart usage of MC in theory sounds great.
* RBG/PvP Guild * Stormscale EU * Recruitment Thread * Click Below *
Posted Image

#3 Aeowin

Aeowin
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Bleeding Hollow
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Shadow 1/2/0/1/1/1
  • RBG: 576

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:22 AM

I would say that it is never worth using mind control for 3s. Psyfiend is just too good.

Leaving the pillar against any shadowpriest comp will likely end up with you stunned and 3 orbed - which will force a bunch of cds from your team, if not outright kill you. So you need the lil dude to fear for you 80% of the time.

Against hunters you can plop him down on the floor and stand on him to possibly avoid a trap.

basically since every single team you will fight has either a shadowpriest or a hunter there are no options for that tier of talents.

Edited by Aeowin, 19 April 2013 - 11:23 AM.

• Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Aegwynn
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Restoration 1/2/2/0/2/0
  • 2v2: 2117
  • 3v3: 2515
  • 5v5: 1248
  • RBG: 192

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:41 PM

Hello,
thanks for the answers so far. I would like to highlight this:

View PostAeowin, on 19 April 2013 - 11:22 AM, said:

I would say that it is never worth using mind control for 3s. Psyfiend is just too good.

basically since every single team you will fight has either a shadowpriest or a hunter there are no options for that tier of talents.

I do understand what you're pointing at, however my problem with this is, my psyfiend doesn't fear stuff 90% of the time. Even if i literally put it right on top of the person i'm trying to get a fear on. It even seems completely random to me if it fears anything at all or not.

So, in case psyfiend is actually good, how do you get it to fear things? I can imagine this question sounds dumb, but I'm serious about this. Any special tricks when to use it or what makes it bug out?

#5 Mattadoro

Mattadoro
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Beast Mastery 0/2/2/2/1/2/2
  • 2v2: 2336
  • 3v3: 2754
  • 5v5: 1913
  • LocationGAINSville, The Gym

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:34 PM

mind control is a really neat mechanic, talbadar used to always mc as dot cleave comps when the target was at 15% or lower and full dotted leaving it unable to be healed and would just die in the mc.

they made it slightly better this xpac as it is useable on ferals and other things it wasnt in previous expantions.

psyfiend screws over vanishes and top end priest psyfiend to eat traps ..

i feel like its one of those things like blazing speed vs pom.. everytime you take one you think of situations the other would be better and vice versa

also good teams tab kick it and then its locked out for pretty much its entire duration

Edited by Mattadoro, 19 April 2013 - 09:09 PM.

Posted Image

#6 Aeowin

Aeowin
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Bleeding Hollow
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Shadow 1/2/0/1/1/1

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:08 AM

View PostNemix, on 19 April 2013 - 05:41 PM, said:

So, in case psyfiend is actually good, how do you get it to fear things? I can imagine this question sounds dumb, but I'm serious about this. Any special tricks when to use it or what makes it bug out?

one thing i've noticed that might help

It will not fear something that is already CC'd. So if you want to chain a fear off of something just stick him next to it and when the sheep expires it will fear the thing you want most of the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<