• Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Kil'jaeden
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Subtlety 1/1/2/1/0/1
  • RBG: 2314
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:27 PM

I wrote this one out earlier because someone was asking what his job was as a rogue in RBGs, and feel like I should post it here so more people see- rogues are a lot more viable this season in rateds than last so obviously more and more are becoming interested, but might not know what to do- so here's a quick rundown. feel free to post any criticisms or questions or 30 rock/lights gifs and i'll answer

Rogues are a lot better in teamfights than most of you guys give yourselves credit for, nerve strike is an amazing tool to lock down an entire line of casters, neilyo mode cheapshot everything is pretty much a 10 second cc on everyone, makes deadly throw pretty much useless in rbgs.
I usually use my subterfuge for stunning casters and applying nerve strikes, and dances for bursting down healers unless my team is wiping (then stun/silence everything). since 90% of teamfights nowadays is gorefiends grasp solar beam your biggest priority in assisting this is stunning the enemy paladin at the same time as the beam to prevent an aura mastery, this usually instantly forces a trinket -> am or bubble.

On fc maps, its not always the best idea to spend the entire game on the enemy fc (unless going for a quick cap) but when your team is falling behind i find it useful to break off and get on the efc in order to make the other teams healers drop back, and let off some pressure. Just remember, part of the reason rogues are good on fc maps is that rogues counter guardian druids. I cannot stress this enough- good guardian fcs know to use track humanoids and generally never come within thirty yards of anyone, stealth allows you to get the jump on them. in addition when a guardian is stunned with no barkskin they can't do anything, and guardians with no mobility (your job is to hinder their mobility) are sitting ducks. Make sure you dont smoke bomb during defensive cooldowns(wall, cocoon, pain suppression, spirit shell) unless you're sure to land a kill- one of my biggest pet peeves is when i see someone bomb on a flag carrier with wall up, or when im holding my bobm for after wall and i see the retard warlocks on my team toss in five chaos bolts. If your team wants/needs to make a flag push, and the efc is not in grip range, the first step is you opening on the flag carrier, make sure you have a cloak or vanish if this gets sticky, but basically this will make the other team collapse on their fc, making it extremely easy for your team to get in range to attack him/grip him in.

Temple, rogues are good at running around and killing high stack carriers by themselves, but they also have a lot of defensives that can be used while holding orbs unlike other classes like hunters, which makes them decent carriers as long as you have good situational awareness (when to pop everything on someone and collect +10, and when to sprint behind a pillar). Remember you can always fake people into the middle, and step or use cloak and dagger to get back up, this is a really useful escape tool.

Mines, one of the only maps where i ever use defensive smoke bombs, good way to shut down a beam, or you can just bomb a healer and 100-0 it in a few seconds, always zerg healers on this map when youre not spam stunning warlocks boomkins and dks, theres nowhere to hide and no LOS so you play a big part in dropping the other team before yours dies. ALWAYS try to jack carts, people are really stupid and stand on the wrong side which makes sapx3 + blind an easy cap, if your team is not going to get lava or top cart flip them upwards before they reach the side and make sure the other team doesnt flip it back, a longer travel time to the north cap = slower points for the other team.

Eots, pretty similar to teamfighting on mines, no LOS. try to hit people in the back because if your healers have a good position they should still be able to heal you, and this will make it easy for your casters to snipe the other teams overextended dps. Eots is a pretty easy map to get ninja caps on, because a lot of the bases are narrow and it's easy to find stealth at bases like mage tower and blood elf (usually pretty close to the flag due to retarded design), another strategy i utilize a lot on this bg is stand on a flag while a dk grips the defender downstairs fifty times and you cap it easily.

AB I suggest going to the LM fight, theres usually only two healers there and rogues have billions of ways to stop two healers from doing their job, as well as keeping up nerve strike on the dps. On maps like these where your healers are split up, you have to stop chaos bolts because they are harder to heal through.
On node maps it's a good idea to pressure bases by yourself because although rogues DO have good utility in teamfights, they are much more effective in 1v1 scenarios especially with two sets of cooldowns. If youre going for ninjas, ALWAYS keep track of the other teams floaters, if you are absolutely relying on getting a ninja off and not just banking on drawing people off of the teamfight, and you see an enemy floater, get someone to slow them down. Remember, when youre ninjaing your team is down a person at the teamfight so dont just walk around in stealth too long leaving your team gimped. You'll need to come out and start attacking or sapping to draw attention off fast. As you get more and more experienced in rbgs, youll know which classes to zerg down and which classes to try and cc cap on, however no one who plays perfectly should get ninjad on, it's all about predicting the defenders next move, if you mess up dont waste too much time,  just go back and start locking down casters and globaling healers again. I don't think glyph of smoke bomb is ever worth it since no one really sits outside the range and lets the bomb ride out, almost everyone that defends has some sort of ranged ability to stop caps. If your team tells you to defend a base and you dont want to just lie and say your trinkets down.

Edited by Unseenz, 09 April 2013 - 06:38 PM.

#2 WildeHilde

WildeHilde
  • Content Editors
  • Curse Premium
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • EU-Aegwynn
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Combat 1/1/2/1/1/0
  • RBG: 2215
  • LocationSouthern Germany

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:07 PM

Well done. Thank you!

#3 Sykeasaurus

Sykeasaurus
  • Moderators
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Shadow

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:31 PM

I'm going to pin this thread.  If the rogue community feels like it should be unpinned, please let me know in overwhelming majority.  A few nay sayers won't be enough for me to unpin it.  But if the entire community as a whole thinks it isn't helpful, then I will reconsider pinning it.  For the time being though, thank you for your content and I/AJ appreciate your contribution! :)

bk said:

I used to beat off alot, and fail all my classes

Insight said:

I figured he's a phony but I was secretly hoping to get pounded by someone famous.

View PostTw1zle, on 07 August 2011 - 11:05 PM, said:

i wasnt aware that america was a country

i guess we learn things every day

• Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Bleeding Hollow
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Frost 2/0/1/0/1/2
  • RBG: 2214

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:47 PM

jhgjh sadfgd

Edited by xvee, 10 April 2013 - 01:28 AM.

#5 AcerMVP

AcerMVP
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Darkspear
  • Cyclone
  • Talents: Subtlety 1/1/0/0/0/2
  • RBG: 764

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:02 PM

Makes me want to make a thread about assassination in RBG's.

#6 Unseenz

Unseenz
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Kil'jaeden
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Subtlety 1/1/2/1/0/1
  • RBG: 2314
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:34 PM

View PostOhhiimMvp, on 11 April 2013 - 04:02 PM, said:

Makes me want to make a thread about assassination in RBG's.

With the recent buffs to rogues, I've been playing subtlety a lot more- It just feels a lot smoother than it did last patch. When you put vendetta up, it's still unsure whether or not you'll be able to ride your target enough to make it count (the exception is a flag carrier), with cloak and dagger, getting a full dance off is just so easy. I'll probably go back to trying assassination out soon, but for now I've been sticking to sub.

#7 Korrosiv

Korrosiv
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Burning Legion
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Combat 1/1/2/2/0/1
  • 2v2: 192

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:03 PM

i say run 5 combat rogues, 2 dks with the multi grip thing and 3 rdruids with vortex/root
1. grip everything into vortex/roots
2. all rogues pop every cd + bladefurry + killing spree=GG lol rank 1 strat

#8 Yakuzor

Yakuzor
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Dethecus
  • Embuscade / Hinterhalt
  • Talents: Assassination 0/0/0/2/1/2
  • 2v2: 96

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:00 AM

interesting! thats not the way i play, but i have to admit that it also makes sense :>
i just love the king-of-the-hill bgs with my rogue.. .ninjacapping ftw.. as long as there is only 1 in deff a rogue can cap against pretty much anything (altough good guardians are really hard, if not impossible)
but i usually play assa or combat, i never really liked sub! temple: take orb or kill orb carriers, feels like rogues are quite good there. flag bgs: i liked them more in vanilla, when we were a great fc class... now i just try to be a pain in the ass of fc and/or healers. mines is just like king of the hill i think, i always go for the 1vs1 scenarios there, so usually the thing in the north.. but the key discipline is ninja capping in arathi/gilneas... we are just too good at this to join the zerg - just my opinion, i like to kill hunters and get their base.
oh and i have to say that i finally like playing rogue again in mop, which really hasnt been the case during cata/wotlk/tbc!
oh yes and for the funny guys who take care of my chars ratings: i have neither a rbg grp nor arena mates, and yes, my rogue never had such a thing - only pvp-"success" was gladiator and european-event-realm-stuff (or however that was called in english, sorry..) back in season 1 as holy pally.. which really wasnt that much of an achievement, but a lot of fun! :> so you can blame me for doing a lot of pve if you want, but i play my rogue since 2004 (with a lot of inactive time of course) and think that im not too bad at it.., however, looking forward to test your cheapshot spam in some rbg zerg, i might even spec sub therefor.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: #rogues, #rbgs, #icecreamsandwich, #justblaze, #chiefkeef, #taylorgang, #usvseu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<