#1 Shietwagon

Shietwagon
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Zul'jin
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Frost 1/1/0/0/1/2

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:39 AM

Hi guys, I'm planning to build a $1000-1200 tower and get a ~$150-$200 monitor to pair it with - I have mic/keyboard/mouse/headset already.  

I've already picked out a few parts that I have my eye on, but I wanted to get a second opinion before I go ahead with anything.  For reference, the PC will mostly be used for Dota 2 / LoL / WoW, assorted steam games, and streaming.

CPU: i7 3770K
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100
Mobo: I know nothing about differentiating them.
RAM: thinking 8GB, but not sure about which CAS latency and speed to go for
HDD/SSD: Thinking 1TB 7200RPM, are SSD and/or Raid 0 truly worth it?  I know how they work and what they do, but will I notice a drastic performance increase for the things I'm doing?
GPU: GTX 660Ti
Case: I can't easily differentiate them
PSU: Already have a 500, I'll upgrade if I absolutely have to
Monitor: Haven't really started looking at this - I'm thinking 20-21 inch and 1920x1080, but I'm not absolutely set on that

#2 Pharaun

Pharaun
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:31 AM

Random thoughts:

CPU Cooler: h100 is not going to be necessary unless you are planning on overclocking a hell of a lot.  And even then, keep in mind that it's going to be way noisier than something like a nh-d14.  But if you don't care about noise, w/e.  Also keep in mind that h100 fits in less cases (though if you get a corsair, most of them are built for it).

Mobo: get a decent-ish z77 that has any peripherals you need.  Since you didn't list much, probably just like an asus z77 LX or equivalent

RAM: just any 8GB 1333 or 1600 ddr3, don't worry about the other shit.  gskill ripjaw x or w/e is perfectly fine

SSD: worth it if you're already spending this much $$.  Just makes stuff load a LOT faster, which feels really nice
RAID0: not worth it unless you explicitly know that you need faster flash access.  Given that you only listed gaming & streaming, probably not a big deal.

Case: just a haf912/922 or similar ~<$100 corsair/antec/etc

PSU: What 500 do you have?  There's a large variance in quality.

Monitor: I would suggest lowering your build budget and bumping up your monitor budget, specifically to get either two monitors, or a single 27" IPS from monoprice ($390: http://www.monoprice...d=9579&format=2).

Since you only listed gaming & streaming, you realistically could drop your cpu to an i5, and unless you feel like overclocking a hell of a lot you can drop the cpu cooler down a notch.  But even if you keep those two, I can't see your listed parts getting much above $1000.
"Who, after all, is today speaking of the destruction of the Armenians?"

-Adolf Hitler, 1939

#3 Shietwagon

Shietwagon
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Zul'jin
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Frost 1/1/0/0/1/2

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:09 AM

View PostPharaun, on 09 April 2013 - 01:31 AM, said:

Random thoughts:

CPU Cooler: h100 is not going to be necessary unless you are planning on overclocking a hell of a lot.  And even then, keep in mind that it's going to be way noisier than something like a nh-d14.  But if you don't care about noise, w/e.  Also keep in mind that h100 fits in less cases (though if you get a corsair, most of them are built for it).

Not going to lie, I picked the H100 because I was reading a thread somewhere withpeople arguing about what kind of cooling would be necessary for a 3770K and the conversation seemed to arrive at the H100.  What would you recommend instead?  I'm not extremely concerned about noise, but I also probably won't be overclocking much if ever.

SSD: worth it if you're already spending this much $$.  Just makes stuff load a LOT faster, which feels really nice

What size would you recommend?  128GB or 256GB?  Are particular brands known for being better than others in the SSD market?

PSU: What 500 do you have?  There's a large variance in quality.

I have no idea, my dad told me he had one when I mentioned building a computer a month or two back.  It's more likely than not a couple years old.

I really appreciate your help.

#4 Pharaun

Pharaun
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:45 AM

If you're not going to be overclocking ever, don't get a -k processor.  If you're not going to be overclocking a lot, just use something like a hyper 212.

SSD size varies depending on how much shit you want to install.  You don't need space to store all your pictures, videos, etc, but any programs you run a lot - OS (Windows) + any games, etc.  128 is probably sufficient if you don't have a crazy lot of software.

Also age of the PSU doesn't matter too much.  If you don't have any idea what kind of PSU it is, it may be a piece of shit.  This is a really good PSU, which you may want to consider especially if your budget is ~$1k: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817151093

-Adolf Hitler, 1939

#5 Hyrmine

Hyrmine
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Arms 2/1/1/1/1/0

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:35 PM

Yes you will see a big difference when using SSD. Recently I installed WoW, LoL and D3 all on my HDD again and there was a huge difference in loading times.

I bought a 256 GB and I can install all the games I play every day. You don't need to install random games you try out or single player games you play occasionally so 128 might be enough would be enough probably but you might end up regretting it.

#6 chaplain

chaplain
  • Members

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:22 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU:  Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($229.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler:  Corsair H60 54.0 CFM  Liquid CPU Cooler  ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard:  Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX  LGA1155 Motherboard  ($104.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory:  Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($59.98 @ Amazon)
Storage:  Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($96.86 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card:  Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card  ($297.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case:  Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply:  SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply  ($83.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive:  Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer  ($16.98 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor:  Dell U2312HM 23.0" Monitor  ($198.00 @ Newegg)
Total: $1258.74

some of the stuff has limited time offers on it right now, price might go up slightly after a week or so

what power supply do you have right now btw?

#7 Unoriginal1

Unoriginal1
  • Members

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:10 PM

Heres my .02 cents.

Don't get an i7.  For gaming it gives zero performance games.  Especially in a game like WoW.  One of the only games that takes advantage of HTT is Crisis 3.  Best performance for $ right now is the 3570k.

Differences in Mobos.  z77 = Overclocking capabilities  b75 = Business type model Mobo.  Common to see these in work desktops.  h77 = this is your basic mobo you'd use if you were not going to OC for instance you got the non K "which is an unlocked proc" version.  You don't need to spend over $120ish for a mobo.

The h100 isn't that great of an all in one closed loop cooler.  There are plenty of Air coolers that out perform it and are a lot cheaper.  I'd suggest the hyper evo 212 as mentioned above.  Cheap and works great. about $35.

Ram stay with the 1600 mhz.  There is no performance gain that you will see outside of small benchmarks with faster ram e.g. 1800, 2133 etc.

ssd.  This also gives 0 performance gains; however, as mentioned above it does "load" things extremely fast.  Fast boot times, Instant opening of apps you have installed on it etc.  This is more of a luxury item versus the over performance of the machine.  Still nice to have if you can fit it in the budget.

PSU.  This could be the most important component of your machine.  It's basically the heart.  The heart dies so does everything else, a bad or poor quality psu has been known to destroy other components as well.  Stick to name brands here and at least 80 cert bronze.  Seasonic, XFX, PC power and cooling, and corsair are my recommendations.  You don't need anything crazy wattage wise. 600-650 W is more then enough.

Any other questions let me know :D.  Hope this is helpfull.

#8 chaplain

chaplain
  • Members

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:12 PM

he said he wanted to stream, 3770k would be useful

#9 Unoriginal1

Unoriginal1
  • Members

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:54 PM

View Postchaplain, on 11 April 2013 - 05:12 PM, said:

he said he wanted to stream, 3770k would be useful
Actually no it wouldn't.
The i7 still would provide no benefits even while streaming.  Decoding video is consider very trivial in modern chips,  You would see no difference in the i5 vs i7.  Or even in the i3, i5, i7.  Speaking of only streaming.
Now encoding.. Thats a little different.  Money better spent on going with the i5.
I would link a reference to what im saying... But apparently I can't untill I have ten posts :P.

#10 Pharaun

Pharaun
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:56 AM

can post without the http://, mod can add it in for you later too

-Adolf Hitler, 1939

#11 Unoriginal1

Unoriginal1
  • Members

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:38 PM

Thanks Phara i'll keep that in mind.

So ive done some homework, Was careful to try to get an overview of everything and not just one biased opinion.  From what ive been able to gather is that Streaming live feed and the requirements of your hardware depend heavily upon what game your playing, and of course the resolution (720, 1080p)/FPS your streaming at.

The general consisus for WoW was that regardless of an i5 or i7 you wouldn't have trouble Streaming.  But.. For some more demanding games an i7 actually did prove to be beneficial.  Especially when making the leap to the 1080p/60 fps.

Also found that streaming in 60 fps was highly unrecommended.  Due to not everyone is going to have the bandwith and capabilites to view your stream.  That 720 / 30 fps was the general rule for streaming to allow as many people as possible to view properly.

SOOOOO  I stand corrected Chaplain.  An i7 will indeed help for live streaming.

Sources:  Tomshardware dot com, Anandtech dot com, xsplit dot com, teamliquid dot net and a few others :D.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<