#83 Sykeasaurus

Sykeasaurus
  • Moderators
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Shadow

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:47 PM

The amount of reports coming in has gone up and has helped clean up the forums quite a bit.  I urge you to continue reporting useless/insulting/bashing, etc. posts if you feel that way.  Thanks.

bk said:

I used to beat off alot, and fail all my classes

Insight said:

I figured he's a phony but I was secretly hoping to get pounded by someone famous.

View PostTw1zle, on 07 August 2011 - 11:05 PM, said:

i wasnt aware that america was a country

i guess we learn things every day

#84 Sykeasaurus

Sykeasaurus
  • Moderators
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:22 AM

I spoke with a content manager @ Curse today, which is something new for me.  I don't have a lot to say about that at the moment but considering I haven't done that before, that seems like some sign of progress forward.

bk said:

Insight said:

I figured he's a phony but I was secretly hoping to get pounded by someone famous.

#85 DU5KNOIR

DU5KNOIR
  • Junkies
  • LocationRegina, Saskatchewan

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:53 AM

I remember threads like this coming up every now and then for a few years, and the answer was always the same: you don't make a thriving community by restricting 99.5% of potential posters.  There never should have been a Junkie status and people always should have been reporting shitposts en masse.

The problem is that it's too late and the damage is done.  This game blows and nobody plays it anymore, so making it public won't increase the amount of posters enough to counteract all the posters who would be banned.  Instead, you just restrict an already very limited amount of discourse.

If you want to make this forum good again, you'd need to permanently ban everyone who posts useless gifs or memes; ban everyone who needlessly posts insults; & ban commercial advertising instead of only saying you will.  But that's about 99% of this forum in 2013, and you're not going to be able to replace them all.
is he still a fly guy clappin' if nobody ain't hear it

#86 Sykeasaurus

Sykeasaurus
  • Moderators
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:59 AM

In the past, I believe the access restriction model worked, otherwise you were looking at essentially another Blizzard sponsored forum in essence.  Now?  I'm not sure if the access restriction model is the best idea ergo this thread, recent administration appointment and what not.  I was never involved in the threads in the past so I can't say how they want.  This time, however, given a supposed decline of the game, I think it would be paramount to try to increase the user base of this website.  Doing something in this case, is at least better than doing nothing.

bk said:

Insight said:

#87 Sykeasaurus

Sykeasaurus
  • Moderators
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:29 AM

It's at least worth trying again!  Either way, thank you for the feedback.  :)

bk said:

Insight said:

#88 Synkz

Synkz
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Blood Furnace
  • Retaliation
  • Talents: Destruction 0/2/0/0/2/.

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:16 PM

I've noticed that a lot of the outdated threads in the class section have been cleaned up and the people needing junkie access have been taken care of for the most part, looks like this thread and Thaya's have made a difference :)

Edited by Synkz, 05 April 2013 - 10:33 PM.

#89 Justwoo

Justwoo
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Discipline 2/2/1/1/2/2

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:19 PM

bigmoran got banned must be doing right
Posted Image

#90 fant0m8

fant0m8
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Eredar
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Marksmanship

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:40 AM

View PostDU5KNOIR, on 03 April 2013 - 12:53 AM, said:

I remember threads like this coming up every now and then for a few years, and the answer was always the same: you don't make a thriving community by restricting 99.5% of potential posters.  There never should have been a Junkie status and people always should have been reporting shitposts en masse.

The problem is that it's too late and the damage is done.  This game blows and nobody plays it anymore, so making it public won't increase the amount of posters enough to counteract all the posters who would be banned.  Instead, you just restrict an already very limited amount of discourse.

If you want to make this forum good again, you'd need to permanently ban everyone who posts useless gifs or memes; ban everyone who needlessly posts insults; & ban commercial advertising instead of only saying you will.  But that's about 99% of this forum in 2013, and you're not going to be able to replace them all.

What a useless place this would be if you did that.

AJ has no problems with its current rules, it does the best it can given the state of the game. The only thing that should change is a tweak to the rating requirement for access. Since we're going to be seeing inflation as the season goes on, it needs to start out low-ish and end high.
Bye again! This game isn't fun when you don't know anyone else that still plays.

#91 DU5KNOIR

DU5KNOIR
  • Junkies

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:03 AM

View Postfant0m8, on 07 April 2013 - 02:40 AM, said:

What a useless place this would be if you did that.

AJ has no problems with its current rules, it does the best it can given the state of the game. The only thing that should change is a tweak to the rating requirement for access. Since we're going to be seeing inflation as the season goes on, it needs to start out low-ish and end high.

This may be a surprise, but this forum is already useless.

There have never been more memes, more shitposts and more advertising on this forum than there are now.  This forum has never been worse than it is now.  This is not a coincidence.

#92 Persephones

Persephones
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Argent Dawn
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • Talents: Affliction 0/0/1/2/0/1
  • RBG: 2123
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:50 AM

View PostSykeasaurus, on 03 April 2013 - 12:59 AM, said:

In the past, I believe the access restriction model worked, otherwise you were looking at essentially another Blizzard sponsored forum in essence.  Now?  I'm not sure if the access restriction model is the best idea ergo this thread, recent administration appointment and what not.  I was never involved in the threads in the past so I can't say how they want.  This time, however, given a supposed decline of the game, I think it would be paramount to try to increase the user base of this website.  Doing something in this case, is at least better than doing nothing.

I'd like to disagree. If the forum was well known for being strict (see EJ), people wouldn't post all the kind of bullshit you see at the official wow forums. Believe it or not, but top players are generally not the best people to give new PvPers advice, the amount of information and complicated answers are way too overwhelming, they'd be much better off getting help from the people that are rated inbetween.

View PostBraindance, on 22 June 2013 - 07:05 AM, said:

The current season is at a very good spot balance-wise. There is a comp variety that hasn't been seen in the game since s8.

#93 DU5KNOIR

DU5KNOIR
  • Junkies

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:25 AM

I wouldn't say that high-rated players are unable to provide help because of the complexity of their answers.  The problem is that there's no correlation between being high-rated and being an intelligent, helpful and articulate person.  If we're aiming for a high-quality forum, it makes sense to limit access based on a metric related to post quality, of which arena ratings are not one.  The most simple and most logical solution is to base who can post on the quality of their posts directly.

#94 Eowynnz

Eowynnz
  • Junkies
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • EU-Frostmane
  • Misery
  • Talents: Affliction 0/1/0/0/0/0
  • 2v2: 1778
  • 3v3: 2176
  • 5v5: 2242
  • RBG: 1655

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:19 AM

I haven't read through page 2-5, but I think it's great you've made this post Syke/Thaya.

I feel and agree to most of your points, I think opening the class forum for non-junkies would be a great idea, however it would require a lot of moderation. I know everyone should use the report button more, and probably do because of this, but it's like a short term infatuation with the idea that AJ is going to become good. I know moderators can't be everywhere or moderate everything without help, but upping the AJ mod team could help a ton I think. An idea is getting more active moderators who're dedicated to just a few sub forums.

Removing access of old gladiators is another thing that could be a great idea. Personally, I don't feel I've got gladiator knowledge of anything in this expansion due to school. My posts are subpar and could be much better, but the only thing I (and many other retired glads) can add to the discussion is pointing out logic flaws, answering low-value knowledge questions and posting insulting/funny posts. I feel like an old man who can only finish small tasks or complain basically, which is not something you want on AJ as a whole.
twitch.tv/eowynnlol
2400+ rls/shadowplay

• Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Fire 0/2/2/2/1/2
  • RBG: 2573

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:51 AM

View PostEowynnz, on 07 April 2013 - 09:19 AM, said:

I haven't read through page 2-5, but I think it's great you've made this post Syke/Thaya.

I feel and agree to most of your points, I think opening the class forum for non-junkies would be a great idea, however it would require a lot of moderation. I know everyone should use the report button more, and probably do because of this, but it's like a short term infatuation with the idea that AJ is going to become good. I know moderators can't be everywhere or moderate everything without help, but upping the AJ mod team could help a ton I think. An idea is getting more active moderators who're dedicated to just a few sub forums.

Removing access of old gladiators is another thing that could be a great idea. Personally, I don't feel I've got gladiator knowledge of anything in this expansion due to school. My posts are subpar and could be much better, but the only thing I (and many other retired glads) can add to the discussion is pointing out logic flaws, answering low-value knowledge questions and posting insulting/funny posts. I feel like an old man who can only finish small tasks or complain basically, which is not something you want on AJ as a whole.

+rep!

#96 Fizion

Fizion
  • Premium Junkies
  • Curse Premium
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents:
  • RBG: 2219

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:58 AM

View PostEowynnz, on 07 April 2013 - 09:19 AM, said:

I think opening the class forum for non-junkies would be a great idea, however it would require a lot of moderation. I know everyone should use the report button more, and probably do because of this, but it's like a short term infatuation with the idea that AJ is going to become good. I know moderators can't be everywhere or moderate everything without help, but upping the AJ mod team could help a ton I think. An idea is getting more active moderators who're dedicated to just a few sub forums.

I think this is a great idea with opening the class forums.  Grant moderator access to a couple of members from each class so that the threads remain constructive and let everyone post in them.  Just from the lock section, Thaya, Nada, Duskfall, Dakkrothy and a bunch of others (sorry to anyone not mentioned since I'm late and posting quickly) come to mind that post regularly with good insights/ideas and could would do a good job of deleting an occasional post to keep theorycrafting moving forward.  

Maybe review the class mods after each season to make sure that they are still a good option moving to the next season.  Give them a class specific mod helmet or something for each season in their name so that being an AJ class mod gives a little extra prestige and something to aim for and want to keep.

P.S.  I really like how the mods/staff have been moving AJ forward!

#97 Eowynnz

Eowynnz
  • Junkies
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • EU-Frostmane
  • Misery
  • Talents: Affliction 0/1/0/0/0/0
  • 2v2: 1778
  • 3v3: 2176
  • 5v5: 2242
  • RBG: 1655

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:21 PM

View PostPawzz, on 28 March 2013 - 03:08 PM, said:

It is indeed sad that players advertise boosts, but there are no other sponsors in wow, and everybody knows, most people dont care what they advertise for as long as they get paid.

I really wonder why companies like razer don't buy cheap advertising from the streamers. I think having 10k viewers looking at their logo for hours is worth a lot of advertising value. Of course they do it with the really big guys like athene/swifty, but smaller streamers who attract maybe 500-10k people should still be worth something.

View PostPradafiend, on 28 March 2013 - 11:03 AM, said:

2200 isn't too much to ask for. If the playerbase can't even get that, they shouldn't be allowed to post.

That's a pretty ignorant thing to say. 2200 is the top something(like 90 - sorry for pulling numbers out of my ass but I believe I read it somewhere) percentile that not a lot of players can reach. I know many players who have far more vast knowledge of abilities, cool tricks and nifty things to do in pvp situations that I do, who can't reach 2200. As I said before, many of the current "junkies" have far less knowledge than a 2k rated player who currently plays the game.
I feel like you could reduce rating requirement to 1800-2000 and still get the same quality posts as you do now from a lot of members.

As said before, the class forums and 2v2 3v3 5v5 forums are pretty dead. A lot of stuff people used to ask questions about gets solved not by discussion, but by checking top players armories. You don't theorycraft any more, and I think a lot of junkies are afraid to ask dumb questions as they will be mocked and looked down upon. It is really not a pleasent place to come for help, because either A) You're 2400 this season and should know this or B.) You're a gladiator and should know this - according to AJ at least. I have often seen people ask things they genuinly did not know and got ridiculed and mocked to pieces.

View PostSykeasaurus, on 02 April 2013 - 12:47 AM, said:

And I do believe he plays WoW actively, still.

View PostPawzz, on 02 April 2013 - 12:52 AM, said:

He even streams 24/7 :D

That's great news, I really like the way AJ is moving forward as opposed to the stale that has been. I think AJ would benefit from a larger staff in general, you're doing a great job, but there's so much old content that needs to be removed/reviewed.

Edited by Eowynnz, 07 April 2013 - 12:22 PM.

twitch.tv/eowynnlol
2400+ rls/shadowplay

#98 Pawzz

Pawzz
  • Content Editors
  • Curse Premium
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Beast Mastery
  • LocationAustria

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:38 PM

View PostEowynnz, on 07 April 2013 - 12:21 PM, said:

I really wonder why companies like razer don't buy cheap advertising from the streamers. I think having 10k viewers looking at their logo for hours is worth a lot of advertising value. Of course they do it with the really big guys like athene/swifty, but smaller streamers who attract maybe 500-10k people should still be worth something.
This would get the pvp scene going so much faster, LoL isnt an esport game because its good, but because it has money in it.

#99 DU5KNOIR

DU5KNOIR
  • Junkies

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:42 PM

I've never understood how people can defend or suggest further commercialization of our community in the face of overwhelming evidence that it's purely negative.  Do you remember how things were before Skill Capped, when people made guides and helped each other because they wanted to?  When people focused on making quality videos and articles, instead of mass producing them solely as a vehicle for advertisements?

#100 Persephones

Persephones
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Argent Dawn
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • Talents: Affliction 0/0/1/2/0/1
  • RBG: 2123
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:08 PM

A lot of this is nostalgia though. If you look at PvP vid from TBC, even Neilyo etc, you'll notice that they're pretty fucking awful compared to todays standards. My point is, the playerbase has gotten a whole lot better, so all of these guides aren't as needed as they once were. There's no specific "tactic" against certain comps, it entirely depends on their position and how good/bad the players are. I remember reading guides on how to beat various comps as Druid Warrior, the game was just completely different back then for multiple reasons, the biggest offender beind the fact that we were all scrubs back then.

Edited by Persephones, 07 April 2013 - 08:09 PM.

View PostBraindance, on 22 June 2013 - 07:05 AM, said:

The current season is at a very good spot balance-wise. There is a comp variety that hasn't been seen in the game since s8.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<