#22 Welgard

Welgard
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Kargath
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Frost

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:23 AM

A lot of things could be improved at the front page alone.  The only thing most people look at is those 6 active topics, and occasionally the news feed underneath it.  Streams box gets some views too.

First of all, you've got a curse premium box ad to the right of that streams box, when there's already a banner above that advertising the same thing.  Get rid of that box, keep the banner.  In place of that ad box, have a box dedicated purely to Active Guides, similar to the Active Topics section.  This could be for new or highly viewed guide videos, or even just threads.

Secondly, add some kind of incentive for people to post new guides, macros, talent setups, what to do for every matchup possible as priest/rogue, etc.  You get more people visiting the site, and you get considerably more ad revenue.  A lot of people go to SC simply because they get money there.  They make money from streaming as well.  So why go to the extra effort to create something for the community, when you get nothing for it, and even get trolled half the time?

For me personally, I've taken large breaks from the game, simply because it's just a mess.  There is such a plethora of stuns, silences, incapacitating effects, interrupts, and crowd control that it is an absolute disaster for someone to predict when something is going to come up, and you just get completely blanketed with nonsense without any way to prevent most of it.  On top of that, pvp balance takes far too long.  If something is beyond overpowered, they typically wait half a season or longer to fix it, with the exception of ret pallies usually.  They get nerfed to the floor instantly.  By the time they fix it, the damage is done, people have quit from getting rolled by warriors or dks or other classes, particularly with a gear gap.  The ladders are skewed out of control, and there's no fixing it.

Secondly, in this expansion moreso than any other, gear makes such a massive difference.  In BC I could take a fresh 70 of any class and easily push past 1800 in greens and blues, simply by playing well and understanding the mechanics of other classes while working well with my teammate(s).  Now, you queue as a fresh 90 and you just get curbstomped by people in the 1300s, 1400s, and 1500s that are fully geared.  Even in a full set of honor gear, you don't stand much of a chance against the sheer amount of damage they can do, it's ridiculous.  Getting that full set of honor gear is equally painful, though I've never been much of a BG fan.

#23 Snuggli

Snuggli
  • Junkies
  • Taurenclass_name
  • EU-Steamwheedle Cartel
  • Glutsturm / Emberstorm
  • Talents: Feral 2/0/2/1/0/2
  • 2v2: 1925
  • 3v3: 2209
  • RBG: 384
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:42 AM

This website would die overnight if the rep button was removed. It's pretty lame, but it's true. Nearly all of you only check AJ to rep funny memes, troll or flame random people.

It'd take a complete overhaul to get AJ back to the standard it was before -- probably not worth the effort for the mods/admins.

View PostBraindance, on 11 October 2013 - 12:44 PM, said:

Go listen to some Bieber shit and leave me alone fucko.

#24 fant0m8

fant0m8
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Eredar
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Marksmanship

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:59 AM

Nothing has changed about AJ. The only difference is that there are far fewer people around now.

Back when we had the old format, there were private "groups" that you could create. I made one for all the active Hunters that posted on AJ (because we were dealing with some hardcore flaming in the class forum due to the rise of Beastcleave). There were probably 30-40 people in the group that I added within two weeks, all people that were actively posting on AJ (some of them many times a day).

Now there's probably 2-5 Hunters out there that contribute to our class forum. And only 1-2 of those are the same people that were around back in WotLK (let alone TBC).

When there are so many potential viewers to see your content, you're more motivated to work for free and produce guides and contribute to the community. And once you don't have a whole lot of eyeballs out there, less content is produced so there are less eyeballs so there is less content, etc etc.

*shrug* That's just how it is.
Bye again! This game isn't fun when you don't know anyone else that still plays.

#25 ardnut

ardnut
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents:
  • RBG: 1743

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:51 AM

I remember using the comp guide section of this web site a lot in season 8.  It was the main reason I started coming here.  Tankz wrote a great 2v2 guide for warrior/pala and there was a dispel cleave guide by a priest whose name I have forgot, but it was also very helpful for a noob player.  There was no where near as many comps back then that there is now.  You knew you were going to face RMP/WLD/Dispel cleave/LSD most of your games.  I don't think it would even be possible to write a guide for a comp with specific advice for every comp you are likely to face anymore.  The game is so much more diverse and complex since then.  If top players wrote guides then I think the site would get a lot more popular again.  I could write a noobie guide, but I don't really have the credentials for people to take notice.  If someone like Hoodrych/veev/reckful were to write one than people would.

I do try to answer questions in the ask a glad forum as much as possible...but I'm not as knowledgeable as I really should be about the game I can only answer so many of the questions.
* RBG/PvP Guild * Stormscale EU * Recruitment Thread * Click Below *
Posted Image

#26 Antitaleon

Antitaleon
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Enhancement 0/2/1/2/1/0

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:34 PM

View PostBraindance, on 26 March 2013 - 01:08 AM, said:

Nothing will change here for the following reasons:

a)There is no sense of reward or punishment in those forums and in the game now. You can be a saint and get nothing or be a complete jackass and get the respect of this mob called junkies, just because you got "swag" (/puke)

/rest/

my goodness you sound like a fat teenage girl whos mom doesn't let her wear makeup when her friends do

you've also been here for how long and you still think there is RESPECT in these forums.

you treat this place as if it was the city council and not a random internet forum on which people come to mostly have fun, bitch and share "important" game related news such as patch notes. you see those are the normal people, the ones who don't feel that they fit in here are revolutionaries who think they can change the world and make AJ a better place where everyone uses proper grammar and punctuation

as for the guides and stuff, im all up in that joint and that's something that should improve because i guess that's what this site was originally meant for, but obviously as the wow community grows smaller there will be fewer people to write guides, and the community has gotten a LOT smaller which you can see just by taking a look at glad cutoffs from s1 -> now

you can't force people to write guides and help others, but you could give them some incentive or motivation via the site or ingame
Posted Image

3x glad 1x r1 logics

Spoiler

Spoiler

#27 Braindance

Braindance
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Arms 1/1/1/1/1/2
  • 2v2: 1638
  • 3v3: 2172
  • RBG: 576
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:37 PM

View PostAntitaleon, on 26 March 2013 - 03:34 PM, said:

my goodness you sound like a fat teenage girl whos mom doesn't let her wear makeup when her friends do

you've also been here for how long and you still think there is RESPECT in these forums.

you treat this place as if it was the city council and not a random internet forum on which people come to mostly have fun, bitch and share "important" game related news such as patch notes. you see those are the normal people, the ones who don't feel that they fit in here are revolutionaries who think they can change the world and make AJ a better place where everyone uses proper grammar and punctuation

as for the guides and stuff, im all up in that joint and that's something that should improve because i guess that's what this site was originally meant for, but obviously as the wow community grows smaller there will be fewer people to write guides, and the community has gotten a LOT smaller which you can see just by taking a look at glad cutoffs from s1 -> now

you can't force people to write guides and help others, but you could give them some incentive or motivation via the site or ingame
I never said force - merely give some incentives. I am really happy tho that this is the first time that you don't start by flamming me and you actually give your opinion in a civilized manner. +rep

View PostZerstiren, on 14 August 2011 - 01:21 AM, said:

If you haven't +repped this guy, you are part of the problem.

View PostRenaissance_Man, on 31 July 2013 - 04:31 AM, said:

If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, bin Laden, and you, I would shoot you twice.

View Postsimonfra1234, on 25 August 2011 - 08:46 PM, said:

bro you got +rep'd by rapture...

#28 Smooviex

Smooviex
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Windwalker 1/0/2/2/0/0
  • 2v2: 1775
  • 3v3: 2872
  • 5v5: 2415
  • RBG: 2376

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:06 PM

there's people who just started when cata came out who are in love with w0w... most players are so conditioned to it now that regardless of how much you you enjoy the game, nostalgia is just going to remind you of how exciting the game was when you first started. I feel bad for newer players, they'll never experience how connected you could be with the game

#29 CreepStatus

CreepStatus
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Restoration 1/2/2/1/2/0
  • LocationGAINZville, the Gym

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:23 PM

View PostThaya, on 26 March 2013 - 01:18 AM, said:

Battlegroups are almost irrelevant today. Rant Room exists and hosts a community of its own, for many years now actually.

First rule of rant room: You don't talk about rant room.

But seriously I understand why rant room broke off and made it invite only, but they should have made something to replace it maybe? IDK.
Please use an appropriate signature; thanks! www.arenajunkies.com/forum-9/announcement-3-forum-rules-2272014/
the best playlist ever-https://www.youtube....FVT_S-TjfEu-GC2
NEW: best playlist ever 2- http://www.youtube.c...feature=mh_lolz
twitch.tv/bornlol
youtube.com/bornlolwins

#30 Antitaleon

Antitaleon
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Enhancement 0/2/1/2/1/0

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:25 PM

View PostBraindance, on 26 March 2013 - 03:37 PM, said:

I never said force - merely give some incentives. I am really happy tho that this is the first time that you don't start by flamming me and you actually give your opinion in a civilized manner. +rep

also knowingly damaging myself by explaining this to you let me enlighten you a bit on how people use phrases like 420 blaze it yolo swag and baylife on these forums:

sarcastically, aka they mock them by using them in the same exact way most people use xD or the more obvious version XD
Posted Image

3x glad 1x r1 logics

Spoiler

Spoiler

#31 Braindance

Braindance
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Arms 1/1/1/1/1/2
  • 2v2: 1638
  • 3v3: 2172
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:35 PM

View PostAntitaleon, on 26 March 2013 - 04:25 PM, said:

also knowingly damaging myself by explaining this to you let me enlighten you a bit on how people use phrases like 420 blaze it yolo swag and baylife on these forums:

sarcastically, aka they mock them by using them in the same exact way most people use xD or the more obvious version XD
I am not very familiar with those expressions - it's just that every time I see them a 18 yold with a ridiculous haircut and gay sunglasses comes into mind.

I'm very happy that you have two posts in a row without flamming me :>

View PostZerstiren, on 14 August 2011 - 01:21 AM, said:

If you haven't +repped this guy, you are part of the problem.

View PostRenaissance_Man, on 31 July 2013 - 04:31 AM, said:

If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, bin Laden, and you, I would shoot you twice.

View Postsimonfra1234, on 25 August 2011 - 08:46 PM, said:

bro you got +rep'd by rapture...

#32 Darthgnoe

Darthgnoe
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Grim Batol
  • Misery
  • Talents: Mistweaver 1/0/2/0/2/1
  • 2v2: 2415
  • 3v3: 2523
  • 5v5: 2040
  • RBG: 1837

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:45 PM

View PostBraindance, on 26 March 2013 - 04:35 PM, said:

I am not very familiar with those expressions - it's just that every time I see them a 18 yold with a ridiculous haircut and gay sunglasses comes into mind.

I'm very happy that you have two posts in a row without flamming me :>

it's flaming, not flamming

flamming sounds ridiculous, just saying

#33 Hotted

Hotted
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Kargath
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Restoration 1/0/2/1/2/2
  • RBG: 2295
  • LocationVenezuela

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:07 PM

I think that AJ's website and people that upkeep it are dropping the ball in many aspects. As far as helping new players out, I couldn't agree more. I try to do instructional content on youtube and most of the comments are how people didn't know x did this and y did that. Good post Thaya. I wish more people would take your stance
Spoiler

Posted Image
Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/hotted89
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hotted89
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/hotted89
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/hotted89

#34 Thaya

Thaya
  • Moderators
  • LocationRussia

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:06 PM

I don't really understand why some people are implying that "nothing is gonna change". It's in our hands. Nothing is physically stopping you from helping other people - be it writing a guide or otherwise useful article, replying in threads, or replying in-game. The game changed, but you still interact with other players all the time, it's very far from a "solo game" even compared to some other MMOs out there (MOBAs and FPS are much much less social than this game is, even now).

It's just that the current forum structure is way outdated. Trust me, if class forums become active again, there will be enthusiasts willing to create content - be it guides or just answers to the most frequent questions, or people willing to become moderators and contributors.

Believe it.
Default UI Scripts - Compilation & how-to

#35 Bamflol

Bamflol
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Bleeding Hollow
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Holy 2/1/1/2/0/0
  • RBG: 2493
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:08 PM

i'd love to update some sections of the class guides, just i'm not sure how much attention it would get even if I did. As much as people want to bash on others, I don't think they realize that they should be trying to encourage people into the arena scene in order to promote activity rather than "gr this game sucks no one plays and my ladder sucks same team every que dogshit kfc grrr". I'm sure anyone would enjoy their bgs being more active, disregarding who plays on them.

#36 Thaya

Thaya
  • Moderators
  • LocationRussia

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:15 PM

By the way, I'm getting a lot of whispers from people without access supporting this as well. The reason I'm mentioning it is because there's several messages where people say they had more success getting help by contacting known/top players directly in-game or via PM here, because nobody ever visits ask a gladiator.

More proof that the current forum structure is bad.

#37 NickyEU

NickyEU
  • Premium Junkies
  • Curse Premium
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Kazzak
  • Misery
  • Talents: Beast Mastery 1/0/0/2/1/0

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:27 PM

To many people started "providing content" so they could promote their own youtube channels.

That is fine but there have to be a boss who is only managing and not creating; else all the good contents gets dropped since it takes away views from the "content creators" channels. The boss have to make sure there is competition for the frontpage, instead of the same few people posting it has to be a competition for them to stay on the frontpage or get replaced by all the other, equally good/better content.

Fix this and add someone motivated and you will see lots of new projects.
// Frozire // Nicky \\ Aphix \\

#38 Thaya

Thaya
  • Moderators
  • LocationRussia

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:36 PM

I'm not a fan of video guides personally, but I don't mind them. They can also be popularized, stickied, posted on frontpage and whatnot (a good example of this is diablofans.com - they post all the GOOD content on front page, even if it's only interesting to a fraction of players). That can even work better because then the content creators will be able to monetize.

I just think that in this situation, it's easier to create demand first, i.e. allow non junkies to post in class forums. Once those sections are active again, there will be enthusiasts willing to create content for that crowd, be it for youtube checks or just personal fame.

Edited by Thaya, 26 March 2013 - 06:38 PM.

#39 Koly

Koly
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Ravencrest
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Affliction 1/0/1/1/1/1
  • 2v2: 2675
  • 3v3: 3159
  • 5v5: 2075
  • RBG: 2749

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:49 PM

Couldn't have put across what you've said in this thread better Thaya. The first step is down to the admins, if they allow non junkies to post in class forums as you've stated before, people (Including myself) would be more than happy to take a few minutes of their time to help someone whether they're completely new to PvP and looking for some class help or just looking for some help with macros.

I hope that people actually listen to what you're saying and there are some changes made to the site.
Posted Image

#40 amirdaheat

amirdaheat
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Shadow 1/2/0/1/2/2
  • RBG: 2269

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:51 PM

I volunteer to write a guide about priests, where do i go?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<