• Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Affliction 0/2/0/2/0/0
  • 2v2: 1878
  • 3v3: 2779

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:34 AM

View PostWildeHilde, on 25 March 2013 - 05:45 AM, said:

Who actually takes along a new player and explains stuff to them? The experience is getting 90, survive the nerve-wrecking honor grind with mindless random groups and then entering trade-chat. You need more gear, more XP or no one will take you. Don't know you need Vortex & Beam as Owlkin for RBGs and you are kicked right away after hours of searching. What WoW PvP needs is people that are willing to hand-hold new players and explain the game to them.

AJ wanted to put up freely accesible guides but pretty much no one responded. Skill-Capped has decent videos but things are far from complete around there and basic stuff like setting up the interface or understanding what you need to do in RBGs and what a TC/FC is, what stacks are or how to set up a direct dispel macro for the other healers are missing. People stop because they try, get stomped, get laughed at, called names and get kicked out of groups with no easily accesible way to improve their play.

This is a nice sentiment and I would certainly support an effort on helping new players learn the game.  But, I think what you're describing is just the way the world works in all games, it's not a black mark on WoW's community.  In any game, there are some people trying to do guides, and they (somewhat) work for the small segment of the new-playerbase that actually looks for guides.  But for the much larger portion of the playerbase who just tries PvP in game a few times and uses that experience to decide if PvP is the thing they want to devote time to, I don't think WoW's players are any more or less shitty to new players than any other game.  I wish humans were a bit nicer on the whole too, but unless we can solve that problem, I think there's not too much room for progress (at least on our part, the game can certainly be more welcoming to newcomers).

Edited by Nadagast, 25 March 2013 - 07:35 AM.

#122 ichor

ichor
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Affliction 1/2/2/0/2/.

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:12 AM

Looks like great changes vs gear disparity issues and it allows people (like me) that haven't got alot of hours available every week for pc-gaming to be competitive.

#123 joaq

joaq
  • Premium Junkies
  • Curse Premium
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Chromaggus
  • Reckoning / Abrechnung
  • Talents: Assassination
  • Locationthe pits of hell

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:31 AM

View Postichor, on 25 March 2013 - 08:12 AM, said:

it allows people (like me) that haven't got alot of hours available every week for pc-gaming to be competitive.

yep! its amazing what a wife, a pair of kids, a full time job and a mortgage can do for your gaming :(

#124 cameronlol

cameronlol
  • Junkies
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Blood Furnace
  • Retaliation
  • Talents: Elemental

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:45 AM

They really should increase glad to 1% of all teams too (IMO)
Posted Image

#125 WildeHilde

WildeHilde
  • Content Editors
  • Curse Premium
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • EU-Aegwynn
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Combat 1/1/2/1/1/0
  • RBG: 2215
  • LocationSouthern Germany

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:48 AM

View PostNadagast, on 25 March 2013 - 07:34 AM, said:

This is a nice sentiment and I would certainly support an effort on helping new players learn the game.  But, I think what you're describing is just the way the world works in all games, it's not a black mark on WoW's community.  In any game, there are some people trying to do guides, and they (somewhat) work for the small segment of the new-playerbase that actually looks for guides.  But for the much larger portion of the playerbase who just tries PvP in game a few times and uses that experience to decide if PvP is the thing they want to devote time to, I don't think WoW's players are any more or less shitty to new players than any other game.  I wish humans were a bit nicer on the whole too, but unless we can solve that problem, I think there's not too much room for progress (at least on our part, the game can certainly be more welcoming to newcomers).

Agreed it's not WoW specific. But if you look at teamliquid.net for example there are a lot more explanations to be found and even for WoW - informations on PvE, Questing, PetBattles etc. are a lot more accesible than for PvP. I love what Vanguards is doing when playing with Johnny for example. I think top players doing games with beginners and explaining them the game would be very entertaining, too.

#126 Dreamwalkerx

Dreamwalkerx
  • Junkies

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:56 AM

View PostWildeHilde, on 25 March 2013 - 08:48 AM, said:

Agreed it's not WoW specific. But if you look at teamliquid.net for example there are a lot more explanations to be found and even for WoW - informations on PvE, Questing, PetBattles etc. are a lot more accesible than for PvP. I love what Vanguards is doing when playing with Johnny for example. I think top players doing games with beginners and explaining them the game would be very entertaining, too.

yeah, love to watch those johnny matches

#127 ardnut

ardnut
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents:
  • RBG: 1743

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:03 AM

View Postjoaq, on 25 March 2013 - 08:31 AM, said:

yep! its amazing what a wife, a pair of kids, a full time job and a mortgage can do for your gaming :(

I feel your pain. :(
* RBG/PvP Guild * Stormscale EU * Recruitment Thread * Click Below *
Posted Image

#128 ichor

ichor
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Affliction 1/2/2/0/2/.

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:17 AM

View Postjoaq, on 25 March 2013 - 08:31 AM, said:

Indeed, being a nolifer should never be a requirement for staying competitive, not even in a mmorpg. Talent should be rewarded, not time consumed.

#129 Snackumz

Snackumz
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Destruction 0/1/2/2/2/1
  • RBG: 2455

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:03 AM

View PostWildeHilde, on 25 March 2013 - 08:48 AM, said:

i generally try to help people whenever they whisper me, but many players do have lives outside of wow. therefore they may just not want to be bothered when they finally do get whispers in-game. personally i have no problems with writing warlock guides etc for free as i enjoy helping new players. although, sometimes i too do not respond to whispers when im busy with something. nevertheless, i am not sure just how many low-rated/new players really visit AJ or the likes. many of them seem to just watch twitch and receive skewed views of the game.

#130 WildeHilde

WildeHilde
  • Content Editors
  • Curse Premium
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • EU-Aegwynn
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Combat 1/1/2/1/1/0
  • RBG: 2215
  • LocationSouthern Germany

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:27 AM

According to Quantcast 20-40k different people visit AJ everyday. Not sure if these numbers are reliable but it's more than we think. Just for comparision: More people read AJ than read Elitist Jerks.

#131 McMick1137

McMick1137
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Windwalker 2/0/1/2/2/1
  • RBG: 1972

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:43 AM

View PostWildeHilde, on 25 March 2013 - 10:27 AM, said:

According to Quantcast 20-40k different people visit AJ everyday. Not sure if these numbers are reliable but it's more than we think. Just for comparision: More people read AJ than read Elitist Jerks.

Elitist Jerks is not anything worth comparing to though, they dont even keep their guides up to date anymore thats how dead that site is :P

And on the picking up new players part. I've only ever had bad experiences with it being called an arrogant fuck because i'm obviously not tunnel-visioned like newcomers will be or because i obsess about figuring out how to win after a loss >.>
This has happened to me with many Moba/RTS/FPS top end players :|

@Cameronlol, fuck 1% cutoff, that'd be making even more of a joke out of the glad title, if anything dump it to 0,2% and make it something special again! I'd love to see a lower cut-off + regionwide battlegroups.

Edited by McMick1137, 25 March 2013 - 10:45 AM.

Did you know I pmuch played with Jballer? That pmuch makes me famous. He pmuch even said I'm pmuch a legit contender for R1, I'm pmuch already famous before I even got my first 1#.
Peace Heaumes, yoloOnce ;-) :$

#132 Nightmonkey

Nightmonkey
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Darkspear
  • Cyclone
  • Talents: Holy 0/0/1/2/0/0
  • RBG: 1999

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:47 PM

View PostMcMick1137, on 25 March 2013 - 10:43 AM, said:

@Cameronlol, fuck 1% cutoff, that'd be making even more of a joke out of the glad title, if anything dump it to 0,2% and make it something special again! I'd love to see a lower cut-off + regionwide battlegroups.

Do you know what the difference between Rank 1, regular Glad, and Rank 1 duelist is these days?  A person's willingness to relax their ethics.

One might even say it's always been that way, but the community seems way more scummy now than it did before Cata was released.  Personally I think that expansion ruined the game, and the drop from 12 million subs to 9 million would show that many people agree with me.

I think some of the damage caused in Cata has been repaired with MoP, but I don't know if they'll ever really get back to where the game was for S1-8 when arena participation seemed much higher.

Edited by Nightmonkey, 25 March 2013 - 12:49 PM.

#133 Virent

Virent
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Shadow 1/1/0/1/2/1
  • 2v2: 2132
  • 3v3: 2317
  • RBG: 1827
  • LocationBulgaria

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:56 PM

View PostWildeHilde, on 25 March 2013 - 10:27 AM, said:

I don't think Elitist Jerks has the drama that AJ quite frequently provides though. That could be a major factor.

Edited by Virent, 25 March 2013 - 12:56 PM.

Posted Image

#134 Braindance

Braindance
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Arms 1/1/1/1/1/2
  • 2v2: 1638
  • 3v3: 2172
  • RBG: 576
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:17 PM

View PostVirent, on 25 March 2013 - 12:56 PM, said:

I don't think Elitist Jerks has the drama that AJ quite frequently provides though. That could be a major factor.
Have you been to EJ ever? If the same thread was posted on EJ 95% of it would have been deleted and exposed to the Dung Heap.

View PostZerstiren, on 14 August 2011 - 01:21 AM, said:

If you haven't +repped this guy, you are part of the problem.

View PostRenaissance_Man, on 31 July 2013 - 04:31 AM, said:

If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, bin Laden, and you, I would shoot you twice.

View Postsimonfra1234, on 25 August 2011 - 08:46 PM, said:

bro you got +rep'd by rapture...

#135 Hyrmine

Hyrmine
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Arms 2/1/1/1/1/0

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:32 PM

I don't think having more traffic than EJ means anything at all. EJ is completely boring and pretty much a forum for turbo PvE nerds who discuss whether a spell does 1 damage less or more for a whole year. AJ has more visitors because people come, take a look at the thread names, open one maybe and then go again. Hardly any of the visitors post. It's the internet, you know? People 'browse' pages all the time when they are bored, doesn't mean they have to be dedicated readers.

#136 Rekkiem

Rekkiem
  • Junkies
  • Trollclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Balance 1/0/2/1/2/2
  • RBG: 2404

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:04 PM

View PostBraindance, on 25 March 2013 - 02:17 PM, said:

Have you been to EJ ever? If the same thread was posted on EJ 95% of it would have been deleted and exposed to the Dung Heap.
And posters would face bans for anything that was not on topic or accurate
pushing it to the limit since 1985
:druid::priest::rogue:

#137 Justwoo

Justwoo
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Discipline 2/2/1/1/2/2

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:07 PM

im confused does 5.3 mark the start of a new season or will these changes occur in s13?
Posted Image

#138 Hyrmine

Hyrmine
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Arms 2/1/1/1/1/0

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:18 PM

View PostJustwoo, on 25 March 2013 - 04:07 PM, said:

im confused does 5.3 mark the start of a new season or will these changes occur in s13?
5.3 is the mid season patch so no, it won't be a new season.

#139 Thaya

Thaya
  • Moderators
  • LocationRussia

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:33 PM

EJ is dead since Cataclysm, at least as a guide source it used to be for PvE back in TBC and WotLK. The only visitors left over there are community members. Also, EJ only had ultra strict moderation in the class forums.

Try check icy-veins.com statistics - that's where everybody goes for information now.
Default UI Scripts - Compilation & how-to

#140 Braindance

Braindance
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Arms 1/1/1/1/1/2
  • 2v2: 1638
  • 3v3: 2172
  • RBG: 576
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:13 PM

View PostThaya, on 25 March 2013 - 04:33 PM, said:

EJ is dead since Cataclysm, at least as a guide source it used to be for PvE back in TBC and WotLK. The only visitors left over there are community members. Also, EJ only had ultra strict moderation in the class forums.

Try check icy-veins.com statistics - that's where everybody goes for information now.
Ehm no. EJ guides are dead - theorycrafting is stil very much alive and it's up to date for every class.

View PostZerstiren, on 14 August 2011 - 01:21 AM, said:

If you haven't +repped this guy, you are part of the problem.

View PostRenaissance_Man, on 31 July 2013 - 04:31 AM, said:

If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, bin Laden, and you, I would shoot you twice.

View Postsimonfra1234, on 25 August 2011 - 08:46 PM, said:

bro you got +rep'd by rapture...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<