• Emberstorm
  • Talents: Destruction 0/2/2/2/2/0
  • 2v2: 1748
  • 3v3: 2115
  • 5v5: 864
  • RBG: 1754
  • LocationOAKLAND CITY REPRESENT

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:21 PM

I don't know if gear is an incentive to keep subscriptions running, but it is a huge barrier to entry for PvP and seems to be continually depressing arena participation.

affix said:

The #1 sign that your thread was unnecessary is if the you can copy+paste the thread title in to google, hit 'I'm feeling lucky', and get your answer

#62 Smooviex

Smooviex
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Windwalker 1/0/2/2/0/0
  • 2v2: 1879
  • 3v3: 2694
  • 5v5: 2249
  • RBG: 2276

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:24 PM

View PostAyume, on 14 March 2013 - 07:18 PM, said:

I know people have been saying this since BC, but why is it again we can't all just have a set of pvp gear that's equivalent for every class, that just you automatically get when you zone into arena. Naturally you can still transmog, gem, and reforge it, but this eliminates the kannetixx's running around frostbombing people for their entire life because they happened to play the previous season.

I understand that they want people to strive for gear to keep subs, but I'm pretty sure I speak for everyone when I say that we don't give a shit about gear, not only would this make balancing classes easier since damage wouldn't fluctuate every season, but I'm fairly certain they would gain more/retain more subs by letting more people do arena with full gear easily. Rather than new pve players joining an arena match and dying instantly to some dumb bm hunter who did literally his entire life in one hit(see below for dumb bm hunter globaling pve noob).

tldr gear shouldn't exist in arena

the whole idea of gear progression is shit for pvp... i'm almost positive everyone who pvp's would just be playing on the arena realm 24/7 if it was available

#63 dionim

dionim
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Arthas
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Shadow 1/1/0/1/2/1
  • 2v2: 883

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:17 PM

View PostAyume, on 14 March 2013 - 07:18 PM, said:

I know people have been saying this since BC, but why is it again we can't all just have a set of pvp gear that's equivalent for every class, that just you automatically get when you zone into arena. Naturally you can still transmog, gem, and reforge it, but this eliminates the kannetixx's running around frostbombing people for their entire life because they happened to play the previous season.

I understand that they want people to strive for gear to keep subs, but I'm pretty sure I speak for everyone when I say that we don't give a shit about gear, not only would this make balancing classes easier since damage wouldn't fluctuate every season, but I'm fairly certain they would gain more/retain more subs by letting more people do arena with full gear easily. Rather than new pve players joining an arena match and dying instantly to some dumb bm hunter who did literally his entire life in one hit(see below for dumb bm hunter globaling pve noob).

tldr gear shouldn't exist in arena

really good ideia, i would just change a little cuz i think some classes want to chose between mastery or crit belt for example.

but imo it should be free, and have 0 ilvl's so you cant use it on pve, or just require honor gear, and get rid of conquest points.

#64 Belligerent

Belligerent
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:19 PM

I thought it would be easy to play again this season but yeah the gear does suck

#65 salice

salice
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Rivendare
  • Emberstorm
  • Talents: Shadow

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:29 PM

I do agree on having such gear advantages in arena.  People only want to play on fair playing grounds when going into arena.  

What about bringing back major visuals to know if people were high rated, like how Shoulders were such a visual cue from TBC days.

#66 Seu

Seu
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Discipline

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:33 PM

i came back 4 months ago and my character wont be competitively geared until may

sick

#67 Filovirus

Filovirus
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: ./././././.
  • RBG: 2795

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:15 PM

View PostSeu, on 14 March 2013 - 08:33 PM, said:

i came back 4 months ago and my character wont be competitively geared until may

sick

I came back a few days ago, SO stoked to play some affliction in full honor gear

#68 andysc

andysc
  • Meepmop
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Destromath
  • Rampage
  • Talents: ./././././.
  • RBG: 1753

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:05 PM

World of Warcraft isn't a PvP game.

#69 Zaephyr

Zaephyr
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Unholy 0/0/2/2/0/2
  • RBG: 2416

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:20 PM

Yes but it has a clear PVP element to it - if they're going to have a pvp section to a game they should have people to moderate it in the right way, having this gear disparity is not the way to do it.

also 420 somewhere in the usa

Edited by Zaephyr, 14 March 2013 - 10:20 PM.

"Please use an appropriate signature; thanks! www.arenajunkies.com/forum-9/announcement-3-forum-rules-2272014

#70 Nitric

Nitric
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Beast Mastery 1/0/1/2/1/1
  • RBG: 2436

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:21 PM

The developers are usually have too much pride to suck it up and admit they fucked up. Like it's been said, the upgrades is the worst part about it. It sucked for PvP and PvE. And now we have to deal with it potentially coming back in 5.3. Giddy up, boys. Better level them alts and get your weekly cap now or prepare to be behind next season too.

#71 Deeklol

Deeklol
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Area 52
  • Retaliation
  • Talents: Discipline

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:25 PM

disable this seasons honor gear in lfr...apparently too hard
Hey, add me on LoL :)

IGN: Keklyz

#72 Ragingsteer

Ragingsteer
  • Junkies
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Azgalor
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Feral Combat

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:28 PM

View Postandysc, on 14 March 2013 - 10:05 PM, said:

World of Warcraft isn't a PvP game.

It wasn't in TBC/Wrath either, but it was still a lot of fun.  It would take such a tiny amount of effort on their part to either bring the honor gear up to snuff, or simply reduce the stat variance between each season of gear.

That's what I don't understand.  What the hell is their reason for not doing that?  How is it in their interest to make pvp shitty and not fun?  LFR is not a reason.  Even if people did arenas to get gear to pve, so what?  The reverse was true for 8 fucking years.  People did pve and used that amazing gear in arenas, often to have an advantage.  Now some players might be able to use some arena gear to bypass drooler-mode LFR and the fucking world is going to end?  It makes no sense.
wtb D3

#73 Nitric

Nitric
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Beast Mastery 1/0/1/2/1/1
  • RBG: 2436

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:44 PM

View PostDeeklol, on 14 March 2013 - 11:25 PM, said:

disable this seasons honor gear in lfr...apparently too hard

The funny thing is, the honor gear ISN'T EVEN BAD for PvE. It isn't like it used to be where Resil took up item budget. Sure, the pieces may not be itemized perfectly for every slot, but it's definitely good enough.

LFR is a fucking joke anyway.

#74 Virent

Virent
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Shadow 1/1/0/1/2/1
  • 2v2: 2132
  • 3v3: 2317
  • RBG: 1827
  • LocationBulgaria

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:40 PM

View PostNitric, on 16 March 2013 - 01:44 PM, said:

The funny thing is, the honor gear ISN'T EVEN BAD for PvE. It isn't like it used to be where Resil took up item budget. Sure, the pieces may not be itemized perfectly for every slot, but it's definitely good enough.

LFR is a fucking joke anyway.

It wasn't about it being bad, it was about it being too high ilvl so you skip some parts of LFR because of it if you had it. That was their problem. Like it was said though, apparently disabling PvP ilvl for raids was too hard.
Posted Image

#75 bighandxyz

bighandxyz
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Fenris
  • Whirlwind
  • Talents: Blood 0/2/0/0/1/0
  • RBG: 2041

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:56 PM

why did they make the best pvp gear so garbage in raiding as well? ilvl 515 for elite gear is not even as good as the normal raiding gear.

I thought they want to close the bridge more for pvp and pve

#76 Salutations

Salutations
  • Mugènleßoss
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Culte de la Rive noire
  • Vengeance / Rache
  • Talents: Arms 1/1/1/1/1/0
  • RBG: 1721

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:58 PM

I came back a few days ago, SO stoked to play some affliction in full honor gear

Haha, same here, affliction with 476 honor gear is just ....

Edited by Salutations, 16 March 2013 - 10:59 PM.

#77 Nadagast

Nadagast
  • Moderators
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Affliction 0/2/0/2/0/0
  • 2v2: 1878
  • 3v3: 2779

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:36 AM

I'm not saying that I like the gear disparity, (I wish Honor gear was 483-487 maybe) but I don't agree with many of the comments in this thread saying there should be no gear differences at all in PvP.

Sure, for players like us, the top ~1% most dedicated and hardcore arena players, we don't need gear to motivate us, we're motivated mostly just by competition.  However, for the other 99% of the playerbase, gear, titles, and other random goofy rewards are extremely powerful motivators to participate.  Taking away all gear differences/upgrades would leave the arena playerbase very small.

I think in general people on AJ (and really in any online community that caters to a specific niche) are capable of making pretty good suggestions IF every player playing the game was a member of their niche (hardcore PvP).  It's like lots of us fail to realize other segments of the community exist, and Blizzard has to make a game for all segments.

Edited by Nadagast, 17 March 2013 - 02:40 AM.

#78 Tosan

Tosan
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Marksmanship 1/0/1/2/1/0
  • RBG: 384

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:52 AM

I dunno about that though Nada, games like SC2 don't have anything to motivate people besides gameplay + rating.  

One could argue that games like SC2 attract a different type of player whereas an MMO would attract those who like character progression, but that can't really be proven until tested imo.

#79 Evolute

Evolute
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Restoration 0/2/0/1/0/0
  • RBG: 192
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:53 AM

Yeah, they've said time and time and time again that there needs to be some kind of incentive to get people to play. And believe it or not, there ARE PEOPLE who play ONLY TO GET GEAR in PVP. It's a shocking idea, to not care for competitive rewards, I know. I have a friend who is like this, who literally doesn't care for mounts or titles, and said he would hate it and would quit if they just made all gear available.  

I don't really see why they don't buff up the honor gear to like 485 though, and just make it so PVP gear counts as 0 ilvl in LFR. Hell, I don't see why they CARE for LFR.. it was implemented for people to see the content, not for it to be progression -.-

Posted Image

#80 Tosan

Tosan
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Marksmanship 1/0/1/2/1/0
  • RBG: 384

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:55 AM

View PostEvolute, on 17 March 2013 - 02:53 AM, said:

Yeah, they've said time and time and time again that there needs to be some kind of incentive to get people to play. And believe it or not, there ARE PEOPLE who play ONLY TO GET GEAR in PVP. It's a shocking idea, to not care for competitive rewards, I know.

I don't really see why they don't buff up the honor gear to like 485 though, and just make it so PVP gear counts as 0 ilvl in LFR.

Simply saying it doesn't make it true though, at least not in a broad sense without some sort of testing.

Besides, doesn't need to be 0 gear progression, but people will upgrade the gear even if it was +1 ilvl, we all know that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<