Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help

AJ and the community


  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Thaz

Thaz
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Area 52
  • Retaliation
  • Posts: 357
  • Talents: Affliction 0/0/1/0/0/1
  • RBG: 2219

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:50 PM

I have been using AJ since its conception and it is the only place for arena discussions. Now I know this isn't a new topic but I feel it needs to be addressed. Why is there still such a need to limit or even restrict people from posting? I am referring to "junkie status". Now the some glads/trolls would say that they should be the only one who should have the privilege of posting. Really? Your blue or red skull wasn't enough? These are the people who are killing this site and its potential. As much as this hurts to say I feel you should cater more to the casual arena player. There are more of them than glads. Glads will be respected as long as they provide good info/suggestions. Is that not the point of setting them apart from the rest, in hopes that they will? Also why is it that trolling is almost encouraged? I can't read one thread that doesn't at some point call some guy bad calls another bad because of a 100 point rating difference. Why do people not get banned? Banning people wouldn't hurt the site, if anything it would strengthen it. Some kid trolls/bashes another member they should get a temp ban. They will kick and scream like children about it, but in the end where else can they go? You're the only game in town. They will come back and be more cognizant of their actions.

All in all we know that wow will inevitably die or get replaced one day and when that happens I think the strength of the community will carry this site on. Anyway just my 2 cents, I know you guys work hard on the site and I personally thank you. Cheers.

#2 Pawzz

Pawzz
  • Content Editors
  • Curse Premium
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Posts: 2438
  • Talents: Beast Mastery
  • LocationAustria

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:08 PM

Quote

Class/Rating/BG Bashing
- 1 pt - Insulting a user based on their class, BG, or current ratings. Please focus on the argument they are making and if you feel they should not have posting privileges, please report the post asking for the user to be reviewed.

Report anyone who bashes others, we dont get enough reports, and without reports we cant baneveryone breaking the rules.

#3 Thaz

Thaz
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Area 52
  • Retaliation
  • Posts: 357
  • Talents: Affliction 0/0/1/0/0/1
  • RBG: 2219

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:27 PM

View PostPawzz, on 07 March 2013 - 04:08 PM, said:

Report anyone who bashes others, we dont get enough reports, and without reports we cant baneveryone breaking the rules.

When you limit the community to people who bash each other, it is kind of hard to get them to report. I am just recommending harsher rules. Reducing the absurd unwarranted elitism on here will generate more traffic and thus make the site blossom. FYI people don't like reading forums they can't contribute to. Why join a conversation when I can't talk?
Posted Image

#4 Noname

Noname

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:36 PM

I'd say that there are already too many dumb comments in this forum and granting access to everyone would just make it way worse. Might as well use the blizzard forum then.
Posted Image

Three econometricians went out hunting, and came across a large deer. The first econometrician fired, but missed, by a meter to the left. The second econometrician fired, but also missed, by a meter to the right. The third econometrician didn't fire, but shouted in triumph, "We got it! We got it!"

#5 Vioz

Vioz
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Kargath
  • Vindication
  • Posts: 102
  • Talents: Frost 0/1/0/2/2/2
  • RBG: 2215

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

View PostThaz, on 07 March 2013 - 04:27 PM, said:

FYI people don't like reading forums they can't contribute to. Why join a conversation when I can't talk?

The idea behind behind having the title/rating requirement is to avoid posts that will contribute nothing. Arena played at a low level is completely different than arena played at a high level. You already mentioned that players bash each other when they are considers "high rated players," imagine how that would amplify if someone with 0 to little arena experience wanted to throw in their 2 cents.

#6 Pawzz

Pawzz
  • Content Editors
  • Curse Premium
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Posts: 2438
  • Talents: Beast Mastery
  • LocationAustria

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:47 PM

I am indeed for harsher rules, flame fests with no use can stay in the bg forums. Ill see what I can do.

#7 Thaz

Thaz
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Area 52
  • Retaliation
  • Posts: 357
  • Talents: Affliction 0/0/1/0/0/1
  • RBG: 2219

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

View PostNoname, on 07 March 2013 - 04:36 PM, said:

I'd say that there are already too many dumb comments in this forum and granting access to everyone would just make it way worse. Might as well use the blizzard forum then.

Harsher banning rules..... This is why EJ is such a clean, informative site. They don't take crap and the community has accepted that. Now I understand with competition comes some "trash talking", and a while back it was announced that it should stay in bg forums. It hasn't. As for the community getting worse....lol. We can't get much worse than it is.

What really baffles me, at the end of the day if this community was actually worth a damn, they could come up with precise changes that needed to be made to the game and also fully understand the implementations of the changes and offer solutions to Blizz. AJ can do that. Look at the recent BG merge thread. They brought up a good idea discussed it and offered solutions on titles. Why can't they do it with class balancing or 2v2 balancing? I will tell you why, because it is the absolutely dumb-founded elitism that each individual most establish that they are better and better players don't listen to dks who got glad in s5/s6 or druid who got it in tbc or with some fotm. These are the people this site caters to and these people destroy the reputation of arena players and the credibility of the site. The arena community is so small it isn't even funny. Why cater to something that just makes it smaller?

Edited by Thaz, 07 March 2013 - 04:57 PM.

Posted Image

#8 Afantara

Afantara
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Korgath
  • Vengeance
  • Posts: 51
  • Talents: Fury 1/1/2/0/0/0
  • 2v2: 1771
  • 3v3: 1698
  • RBG: 1629

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:13 PM

So, I'm not new to AJ and I've been here off and on throughout the years.
I'm a Gladiator player and I have experience in social relationships / business partnerships on a professional level.

Is this AJ?
Seeing what AJ has become over the years is nothing short of deplorable. This site is no longer helpful nor is the content necessarily beneficial for an active arena player. In other words: it could be avoided entirely. This was not the case years ago. Although elitism and ego-inflated maniacs ran rampart back then, it was not on such an openly accepted level.

Yes, people are entitled to their own opinions and beliefs. Yes, they are entitled to be lowly evolved primates if that is their choice. However, on a site that hintingly boasts itself as THE PvP site, there needs to be some sort of order and or control. These 'elites' / trolls who think they have some sort of prized possession by earning titles on a virtual medium are nothing short of sadistic 'online' criminals when they are allowed to bash and hurt others. What's worse is that they are freely allowed to pollute and even destroy this PvP community on a whole.

AJ used to be... (Key phrase: used to be) THE site for hardcore PvPers. Now, it has become a flame fest for ego-inflated mediocrity challengers (Pun not intended). It's not even a healthy site to find active recruitment. I mention AJ to past members or even current WoW'ers alike and they literally cringe on the name.

Is this intentional?
Do you want to be known as 'Scumbag Elitist Site'?
That banner is a self-made cancer, and it will inevitably lead to the demise of any site or group that chases after such a pathetic goal. Furthermore, it's laughably narrow-minded.

The average person is not exceptional.
The average person also outnumbers the exceptional.
Speaking from a completely profit-based margin, you'd be simply destroying your stronger form of 'income'.

The solution?
- Harsher punishment to the flamers and trolls alike. Do not allow them to ruin this community any longer. You should be unbiased in your punishment. This means that a player with 9 r1 titles should be equally as viable to the ban hammer as a player with none.
- Stronger enforcement. The mods should be actively looking and seeking out any poisonous activities.
- Cater to casuals. (Or you will lose in the end)
- Stop looking down on players who do not have the same achievements. They're human just like you and you are no better even if you had 500 titles that all screamed 'rank one'. Being 'elitist' over an online medium only shows just how insecure you really are.

Edited by Snugglebuu, 07 March 2013 - 06:19 PM.


#9 Thaz

Thaz
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Area 52
  • Retaliation
  • Posts: 357
  • Talents: Affliction 0/0/1/0/0/1
  • RBG: 2219

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:33 PM

Agree and well written ^
Posted Image

#10 Callyo

Callyo
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Posts: 96
  • Talents: Frost 2/0/1/0/2/1
  • RBG: 2387

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:14 PM

Its been awhile since i saw  a post that contributed to this site haha.

Posted Image


#11 Afantara

Afantara
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Korgath
  • Vengeance
  • Posts: 51
  • Talents: Fury 1/1/2/0/0/0
  • 2v2: 1771
  • 3v3: 1698
  • RBG: 1629

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:33 PM

View PostVioz, on 07 March 2013 - 04:38 PM, said:

The idea behind behind having the title/rating requirement is to avoid posts that will contribute nothing. Arena played at a low level is completely different than arena played at a high level.
Good intent, problem is that the execution has failed due to the people behind those titles.

Quote

You already mentioned that players bash each other when they are considers "high rated players," imagine how that would amplify if someone with 0 to little arena experience wanted to throw in their 2 cents.
This is a dual-edged sword. For one, status can speak of experience and provide a better sum of information than those without it in theory. Problem is, the people that should be doing their 'jobs' (so to speak) are doing exactly the opposite of a beneficial gain.

It should also be noted that at one point - people with titles had no titles. To think that only the people with titles can speak is misguided or flat ignorant.

As I said in my previous post, enforcement should happen on a stricter and unbiased based level. People, regardless of title or no title should be subject to the same punishment / rules.

Edited by Snugglebuu, 07 March 2013 - 07:33 PM.


#12 Thaz

Thaz
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Area 52
  • Retaliation
  • Posts: 357
  • Talents: Affliction 0/0/1/0/0/1
  • RBG: 2219

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:38 PM

We could really get good changes made to the game if we actually worked together on solutions instead of wasting time talking who is more worthy of gladiator title.....
Posted Image

#13 thrudgel

thrudgel
  • Junkies
  • Trollclass_name
  • US-Illidan
  • Rampage
  • Posts: 739
  • Talents: Balance 1/2/2/0/2/2
  • RBG: 2207

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:57 PM

View PostThaz, on 07 March 2013 - 07:38 PM, said:

We could really get good changes made to the game if we actually worked together on solutions instead of wasting time talking who is more worthy of gladiator title.....
Sorry Thaz but I remember you ditching me. Your stats still show your highest pr and team rating the same as when playing with me. I also got 2700+ achieve in March season9, rank2 at the time, which is equal to a 2nd glad title imo. s10 I was 2500 early on before disbanding and later realized if i sat team i'd have glad again. S11 I was top50 Rdru world as duelist at 2277. S12 i was 2371 again granting access.

So i've been able to have access from 3v3 without glad title every season. I managed glad after being dumped on area52 by people like you. Be nice to get access? I don't think so. Next season with mmr inflation, Access should be 2400 minimum. Inc everyone with 2700 achieves S13.
Hi snugglebuu  ;-D

edit: on forums be nice; in game be elitist fuck. On forums be jerk, in game be chill. It's just arena junkies, we all enjoy arena. Content feeds from R1 is interesting content, don't pollute it with mediocrity. This is not an instructional site, but if people like you and sense your motives, they may indeed be very helpful through private messages or in game. I guess my point is if you're successful in arena you may not want to share it with everyone. There's too much Ddos/wintrade going on to warrant giving free public info.

Edited by thrudgel, 07 March 2013 - 08:14 PM.


#14 Afantara

Afantara
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Korgath
  • Vengeance
  • Posts: 51
  • Talents: Fury 1/1/2/0/0/0
  • 2v2: 1771
  • 3v3: 1698
  • RBG: 1629

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:04 PM

View Postthrudgel, on 07 March 2013 - 07:57 PM, said:

Sorry Thaz but I remember you ditching me. Your stats still show your highest pr and team rating the same as when playing with me. I also got 2700+ achieve in March season9, rank2 at the time, which is equal to a 2nd glad title imo. s10 I was 2500 early on before disbanding and later realized if i sat team i'd have glad again. S11 I was top50 Rdru world as duelist at 2277. S12 i was 2371 again granting access.

So i've been able to have access from 3v3 without glad title every season. I managed glad after being dumped on area52 by people like you. Be nice to get access? I don't think so. Next season with mmr inflation, Access should be 2400 minimum. Inc everyone with 2700 achieves S13.
Hi snugglebuu  ;-D

View Postthrudgel, on 07 March 2013 - 07:57 PM, said:

Sorry Thaz but I remember you ditching me. Your stats still show your highest pr and team rating the same as when playing with me. I also got 2700+ achieve in March season9, rank2 at the time, which is equal to a 2nd glad title imo. s10 I was 2500 early on before disbanding and later realized if i sat team i'd have glad again. S11 I was top50 Rdru world as duelist at 2277. S12 i was 2371 again granting access.

So i've been able to have access from 3v3 without glad title every season. I managed glad after being dumped on area52 by people like you. Be nice to get access? I don't think so. Next season with mmr inflation, Access should be 2400 minimum. Inc everyone with 2700 achieves S13.
Hi snugglebuu  ;-D

OMG YOU'RE ALIVE!!
(Sorry, don't mean to derail)

#15 Thaz

Thaz
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Area 52
  • Retaliation
  • Posts: 357
  • Talents: Affliction 0/0/1/0/0/1
  • RBG: 2219

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:30 PM

Ah Thrudgel, I am so happy you came to add your pointless 2 cents. I have no desire to get into a flame war with you the forms. You got an issue feel free to personally message me and we can discuss it and I will explain why I and the third member (who you fail to remember) decided to move on without you. Was it a bad decision, no and I will leave it at that.

Back on topic, this is a prime example of what AJ should move away from.

p.s. Thrudgel I will be waiting for your personal message.
Posted Image

#16 gersh

gersh
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Frostmane
  • Reckoning
  • Posts: 5
  • Talents: Shadow

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:47 PM

With the amount of players playing this game decreasing more and more the aj community is becoming fewer and fewer.  With that said I enjoy these forums and I check them multiple times a day however I see many threads unanswered in my favorite two sections the matchups comps and strats, and the class specific section.  I am not a glad however I play around a 2200 mmr on my sp, rogue, and rdruid and I have seen many threads started that I feel if I could post in these sections I might be able to help people out with their questions many glads may be tired of answering over and over or questions that are considered trivial to them so the threads go unanswered, and we see many duplicate threads made

#17 Pugna

Pugna
  • Members
  • Posts: 5

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:49 PM

View PostSnugglebuu, on 07 March 2013 - 06:13 PM, said:

So, I'm not new to AJ and I've been here off and on throughout the years.
I'm a Gladiator player and I have experience in social relationships / business partnerships on a professional level.

Is this AJ?
Seeing what AJ has become over the years is nothing short of deplorable. This site is no longer helpful nor is the content necessarily beneficial for an active arena player. In other words: it could be avoided entirely. This was not the case years ago. Although elitism and ego-inflated maniacs ran rampart back then, it was not on such an openly accepted level.

Yes, people are entitled to their own opinions and beliefs. Yes, they are entitled to be lowly evolved primates if that is their choice. However, on a site that hintingly boasts itself as THE PvP site, there needs to be some sort of order and or control. These 'elites' / trolls who think they have some sort of prized possession by earning titles on a virtual medium are nothing short of sadistic 'online' criminals when they are allowed to bash and hurt others. What's worse is that they are freely allowed to pollute and even destroy this PvP community on a whole.

AJ used to be... (Key phrase: used to be) THE site for hardcore PvPers. Now, it has become a flame fest for ego-inflated mediocrity challengers (Pun not intended). It's not even a healthy site to find active recruitment. I mention AJ to past members or even current WoW'ers alike and they literally cringe on the name.

Is this intentional?
Do you want to be known as 'Scumbag Elitist Site'?
That banner is a self-made cancer, and it will inevitably lead to the demise of any site or group that chases after such a pathetic goal. Furthermore, it's laughably narrow-minded.

The average person is not exceptional.
The average person also outnumbers the exceptional.
Speaking from a completely profit-based margin, you'd be simply destroying your stronger form of 'income'.

The solution?
- Harsher punishment to the flamers and trolls alike. Do not allow them to ruin this community any longer. You should be unbiased in your punishment. This means that a player with 9 r1 titles should be equally as viable to the ban hammer as a player with none.
- Stronger enforcement. The mods should be actively looking and seeking out any poisonous activities.
- Cater to casuals. (Or you will lose in the end)
- Stop looking down on players who do not have the same achievements. They're human just like you and you are no better even if you had 500 titles that all screamed 'rank one'. Being 'elitist' over an online medium only shows just how insecure you really are.

This is one of the most well written posts and explains why I almost never come to this site anymore.

I am, arguably, the average wow pvper. I am not great, but I am not bad. I have somewhat hit my skill cap and will be forever a 1800's player. I will hover around that mark unless I get a sudden mad burst of skill increase. I have been playing this game for 6 years and yes, you can call me bad. I only play wow for PvP, I don't PvE at all outside of the very rare 5 man or LFR occasionally with buddies of mine. I am your targetted demographic in terms of casualness and still wanting to improve my play. As I said before, I may be bad but I have fun and love WoW PVP.

I always look for ways to improve my play, and I used to love coming to this site to get comp idea's, reading guides on useful talents, macro's, theory crafting, etc.

Nowadays, That doesn't exist anymore. I mean,, yes, you have to dig to get some really good info. On the flip side, why has no one taken the time to remove the pinned guides from the paladin forum that have no useful information anymore? They are completely outdated, and the average user isn't going to dig through tons of threads to find information that could be easily found elsewhere. Not to mention that he is going to dig through a lot of threads where everyone is just calling the game dogshit and hate the game. It puts a bad taste in my mouth when that is all I see.

I find that it is not worth my time to look for any good useful information like I did in the past, and that is a shame. I have started to go to other places to get my information because, frankly, it is better presented and not everyone is calling this game crap.

I just hope that some day I may be able to hit 2200. That is my goal. I used to use this site to hit that goal. But not anymore.

#18 Thaz

Thaz
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Area 52
  • Retaliation
  • Posts: 357
  • Talents: Affliction 0/0/1/0/0/1
  • RBG: 2219

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:02 AM

View PostPugna, on 07 March 2013 - 10:49 PM, said:

This is one of the most well written posts and explains why I almost never come to this site anymore.

I am, arguably, the average wow pvper. I am not great, but I am not bad. I have somewhat hit my skill cap and will be forever a 1800's player. I will hover around that mark unless I get a sudden mad burst of skill increase. I have been playing this game for 6 years and yes, you can call me bad. I only play wow for PvP, I don't PvE at all outside of the very rare 5 man or LFR occasionally with buddies of mine. I am your targetted demographic in terms of casualness and still wanting to improve my play. As I said before, I may be bad but I have fun and love WoW PVP.

I always look for ways to improve my play, and I used to love coming to this site to get comp idea's, reading guides on useful talents, macro's, theory crafting, etc.

Nowadays, That doesn't exist anymore. I mean,, yes, you have to dig to get some really good info. On the flip side, why has no one taken the time to remove the pinned guides from the paladin forum that have no useful information anymore? They are completely outdated, and the average user isn't going to dig through tons of threads to find information that could be easily found elsewhere. Not to mention that he is going to dig through a lot of threads where everyone is just calling the game dogshit and hate the game. It puts a bad taste in my mouth when that is all I see.

I find that it is not worth my time to look for any good useful information like I did in the past, and that is a shame. I have started to go to other places to get my information because, frankly, it is better presented and not everyone is calling this game crap.

I just hope that some day I may be able to hit 2200. That is my goal. I used to use this site to hit that goal. But not anymore.

This is the best post in this thread!
Posted Image

#19 Kettu

Kettu
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Dunemaul
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • Posts: 633
  • Talents: Beast Mastery 1/0/2/0/2/0
  • RBG: 960
  • LocationKuwait

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:57 AM

The top players don't make guides here anymore as they can do it elsewhere - and make money while doing it. Same goes for posting useful tips. Some of the content editors - not all - use the news part of AJ as a personal self-promotion tool. This is really bad as it makes the site look very unprofessional. Not everyone notices this.

But the real problem is people like Regentlord, Zerlog, Dionim, Xlordzapple. They fill every single thread with total bullshit and beg to get flamed. They don't really break any rules so they don't end up getting banned either - It's not bannable to be dumb. I'd say around 75% of the useful threads become un-useful when one of these kind of people appear. Since nothing is done to them, nothing will change.

Another problematic group of people are those who've just gotten 2.4k for the first time ever by playing fotm comps. Many of them state their opinions as facts when anyone with bit more experience knows they are completely wrong. This really irritates the more experienced players and reduces their motivation to add any useful content.

#20 thrudgel

thrudgel
  • Junkies
  • Trollclass_name
  • US-Illidan
  • Rampage
  • Posts: 739
  • Talents: Balance 1/2/2/0/2/2
  • RBG: 2207

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:54 AM

If we could take ALL the content here and put into the 3v3 queue, things would truly be fixed.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<