• Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Arthas
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Shadow 1/1/0/1/2/1
  • 2v2: 883

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:31 PM

View PostTheles, on 07 March 2013 - 01:18 PM, said:

Im not sure about this cba to think too straight now lol.

Actually going crit at low percentages makes it really nice. Let's say you have 10% crit and get extra 5% from reforging. Now you have 15% This is actually a 33% increase, compared to what you had.

or am I just dumb

yes and no, it is estatistics it will not make you crit much more, if you cast 100 spells it will crit 15 instead of 10

it increases your chance to crit by 50% actualy, if you compare to your old chance

but if you think the other way you had 90% to not crit, now you have 85% it reduced your chance to not crit by 5.88%

both maths can be used and will lead you to the same result, but one looks so much better than the other.

edit. like i said, if you have full crit it can go 3 ways

you crit DP, MB, and 3 ticks of MF and so insane damage
you crit 1 or 2 spells and do really good damage
you crit nothing and do above average damage

saying you have 15% crit chance, you have 0,0076% change to crit everything i said
to crit twice in a row, you have 2,25% chance

Edited by dionim, 07 March 2013 - 01:47 PM.

#22 Theles

Theles
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Lightning's Blade
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Shadow 1/2/0/1/2/2
  • RBG: 192
  • LocationFinland

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:41 PM

Yeah I guess. Thanks for clearing that up.

Anyway my input would be crit>mastery. Those crit spikes really make a difference. Well atleast for me they did since i playd rps and shit was about bursting not making max pressure.

#23 dionim

dionim
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Arthas
  • Ruin

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:45 PM

View PostTheles, on 07 March 2013 - 01:41 PM, said:

Yeah I guess. Thanks for clearing that up.

Anyway my input would be crit>mastery. Those crit spikes really make a difference. Well atleast for me they did since i playd rps and shit was about bursting not making max pressure.

for rps i would go crit for sure too, the chance you have to crit atleast one spell is really high in a swap

dp, mb, 3 flays - you have 55,63% chance to crit at least one spell with 15% crit

Edited by dionim, 07 March 2013 - 01:45 PM.

#24 Tist

Tist

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:29 PM

haste is still important but as i'm not in full s13 gear yet i'm not worrying about trying to hit the soft cap yet, this doesn't mean i'm actively reforging out of it though or anything

yes you won't have super insane crit even if you reforge it, and i know mastery numbers will always look prettier, but i honestly can't think of a single comp where you wouldn't rather have crit for kills... i would much rather have my 3orb DP or MB crit when going for a kill or forcing cooldowns than a random extra tick of swp or vt here and there.  Remember dots can crit too, so you're losing slightly less overall damage in exchange for a better chance for all your damage to be burstier.

I don't pve but even there i believe the rule of thumb is haste to soft cap and then crit.  Mastery is just not as good as it seems.

Edited by Tist, 07 March 2013 - 06:30 PM.

#25 dionim

dionim
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Arthas
  • Ruin

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:07 PM

View PostTist, on 07 March 2013 - 06:29 PM, said:

haste is still important but as i'm not in full s13 gear yet i'm not worrying about trying to hit the soft cap yet, this doesn't mean i'm actively reforging out of it though or anything

yes you won't have super insane crit even if you reforge it, and i know mastery numbers will always look prettier, but i honestly can't think of a single comp where you wouldn't rather have crit for kills... i would much rather have my 3orb DP or MB crit when going for a kill or forcing cooldowns than a random extra tick of swp or vt here and there.  Remember dots can crit too, so you're losing slightly less overall damage in exchange for a better chance for all your damage to be burstier.

I don't pve but even there i believe the rule of thumb is haste to soft cap and then crit.  Mastery is just not as good as it seems.

almost sure for pve is haste till cap > crit

for me, i dont like crit because is to much random, and when im with mastery i feel it diference, dots dont do good damage but are vital for shadow priest gameplay, you need mana, procs, pressure

im not sure if the extra tick from mastery can crit or not, but i think it can

it doenst change much, you will ofc note crit more than mastery cuz of big numbers, but even with mastery you will still see big crit numbers (10% or 15% i will still happen)

having 5% extra crit chance doenst mean it will crit when you need it, thats why i would focus Haste first and then a secondary based on my comp and playstyle.

this season i played mastery and liked it, i will give crit a shot next season too!

#26 kmaclol

kmaclol
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Holy 2/1/0/1/1/1
  • 2v2: 1739
  • 3v3: 1493
  • RBG: 384

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

I've tried all 3 and much prefer crit to everything else, just feels better and you can really tell the difference just from reforging everything towards it. Playing something like god comp, where your damage outside of a setup means almost nothing I prefer to have crit for kill attempts.

#27 cardoso

cardoso
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Fire 0/0/0/2/1/2
  • 2v2: 2012
  • 3v3: 2467
  • 5v5: 672
  • RBG: 2010

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:36 PM

haste cap > crit > mastery

#28 Aetarius

Aetarius
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Shadow 1/1/0/1/2/0
  • 2v2: 1573
  • 3v3: 2201
  • 5v5: 192
  • RBG: 1834

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:07 PM

View Postdionim, on 07 March 2013 - 12:14 PM, said:

doenst makes sense, if mastery increases your damage it will always help in a kill.
crit looks better, but it can go in 3 ways.
you can crit everything do insane damage
you can crit one spell and do normal damage
you can crit nothing and do less than normal damage (most likely)

mastery you will always do more than normal damage, but never insane damage, it depends on what comp you play and what is your playstyle, playing with a rogue i would go haste > crit, playing with a warlock i would go haste > mastery.

having 10 or 15% crit, is not going to make you a warrior with reck up

edit. mastery procs can crit? ex. if my sw:p tick and mastery proc and it tick again, can the second tick be a critical?

or you can have a higher chance of your dp/halo combo critting and instantly getting pressure from nothing

and mastery has 0 defensive value, much rather have more chance of pom / renew / halo heal, etc being a crit
[7:01:46 PM] alex: kaska just got picked up by Jordons Trade Co. since 2005
[7:02:05 PM] alex: i reckon jordons has a business card
[7:02:34 PM] alex: Wintrading Co Established Season 3

#29 Falla

Falla
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:46 PM

I'm running Insanity with PI mainly just testing things but atm, it seems really good damage. Low orbs though if your being trained.

Not like you can cast anyway with a rogue running mind numbing, dunno why they kept casting slows in the game so dumb.

#30 Wexlike

Wexlike
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Eredar
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Arms

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:29 PM

an interesting fact may be, that you ll reach haste softcap in full arenagear+haste reforge. you ll reach 8160 haste. the softcap is 8085. that means you get a second sw:p and a second dp dottick.

in full resi gemmed gear.

Edited by Wexlike, 11 March 2013 - 10:30 PM.

#31 Draakex

Draakex
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Blackrock
  • Glutsturm / Emberstorm
  • Talents: Holy 1/2/1/0/1/0
  • RBG: 1149
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:49 PM

View PostWexlike, on 11 March 2013 - 10:29 PM, said:

an interesting fact may be, that you ll reach haste softcap in full arenagear+haste reforge. you ll reach 8160 haste. the softcap is 8085. that means you get a second sw:p and a second dp dottick.

in full resi gemmed gear.
any source for this?
think this is only possible with the elite-gear later this season

Posted Image

#32 Wexlike

Wexlike
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Eredar
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Arms

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:53 PM

http://www.wowhead.c...rofile=35208013

i just fucking calculated everything.. :) maybe someone finds a mistake ?

#33 Kriff

Kriff
  • Premium Junkies
  • Curse Premium
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Lightninghoof
  • Shadowburn
  • RBG: 2105

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:06 AM

I prefer haste > crit > mastery. At first, it seems that mastery would be incredible pressure, but since it is predictable it really isn't as effective as crit in my opinion. The random burst that crit provides is invaluable (nothing beats getting a DI proc during a mindblast cast), and leads to kills that normally wouldn't have happened just from raw, consistent damage.

We already have plenty of damage, so I feel the random burst we have sets up situations that mastery can't.

#34 Tist

Tist

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:52 AM

View PostDraakex, on 11 March 2013 - 10:49 PM, said:

any source for this?
think this is only possible with the elite-gear later this season

yeah i'm 99% sure this is only possible with elite gear end of season, but that soft cap will be priority then I'm sure - extra tick on DP is pretty huge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<