Gamebreaker recently got a chance to interview the developers. Below is the PvP summary.
- Item upgrades returning hasn't been decided upon yet, but it is unlikely that it will come back for PvP gear. It felt good for players to be able to upgrade their blue gear and have a high enough item level to do heroic dungeons or LFR, but it didn't feel good trying to figure out how to spend your Valor Points. Partial refunds or transferring upgrades from one item to another are potential solutions. Item upgrades were helpful in allowing guilds to continue progressing by slowly making the players stronger.
- Reverting the silence and crowd control changes from early in the PTR was done to prevent healers from becoming too strong with the various instant heals they have. This kind of a change might be made in the next expansion.
- There aren't enough rewards for PvP that are not gear.
- The Conquest catch up system wasn't ready for this patch, but it will hopefully be in Patch 5.3.
- Skirmishes are still on the todo list.