#1 Oliaxz

Oliaxz
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Illidan
  • Rampage
  • Talents:

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:58 AM

I was wondering what happens with your ping when you face a team from another data center?

I mean correct me if I'm wrong but i think it should be impossible for both team to keep their home ping since the arena instance must be hosted in one of the data center. So one of the team will always have a shit ping. Cause ive noticed my ping going super high in BGs so i was thinking that this must be what was going on (BG hosted in a different data center than mine). I can deal with that in BGs but in arena it would seem pretty unfair to the team that gets the short end of the stick...

And if im right, anyone knows if the data center that host central vs east, central vs west and west vs east is always the same or is it random? What im trying to say here is, for example in a central vs west, will the central team always get the handicap because the game will always be hosted in the west coast data center? or is it random?

Edited by Oliaxz, 28 February 2013 - 08:03 AM.

#2 thrudgel

thrudgel
  • Junkies
  • Trollclass_name
  • US-Illidan
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Balance 1/2/2/0/2/2
  • RBG: 2207

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:32 AM

I doubt you'll get a legit answer here -- just some waffling from an undergrad at best.

The fact that they may be working on xBG arena is good news, although the performance aspect is a lot of work and means that it will arrive "soon".

I bet you it's on their radar because they are working on D3 arena infrastructure anyway; kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Edited by thrudgel, 28 February 2013 - 08:38 AM.

#3 Nightmonkey

Nightmonkey
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Darkspear
  • Cyclone
  • Talents: Holy 0/0/1/2/0/0
  • RBG: 1999

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:49 AM

You'd need to talk to somebody at Blizzard who is familiar with exactly how their data centers work.  When I used to play on KT back in the day, whenever we would go into a BG or Arena the time zone would change.  This was around the same time that they introduced the in-game clock, so if you didn't tell it to use local time things could get very confusing.

That said, it is within reason to think that Blizzard could match two teams from servers on opposite ends of the country and then pick a server somewhere in the middle of both of them to play the match on.  The only question is whether or not the game play would be consistent (not laggy) enough to meet Blizzard's standards.

#4 Oliaxz

Oliaxz
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Illidan
  • Rampage
  • Talents:

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:55 AM

View PostNightmonkey, on 28 February 2013 - 08:49 AM, said:

That said, it is within reason to think that Blizzard could match two teams from servers on opposite ends of the country and then pick a server somewhere in the middle of both of them to play the match on.  The only question is whether or not the game play would be consistent (not laggy) enough to meet Blizzard's standards.

Yeah what youre describing is probably what blizzard try to do, but i doubt that they have a bunch of machines all around the country to host those cross region games and make it so the ping is equal for both teams, just seem like a lot of trouble (and most likely money) for that 1% of pvpers that actually give a fuck and notice those things.

Still i cant believe that i cant find more info on this, arent we on AJ? isnt WoW an esport? (lololololol)

Edited by Oliaxz, 28 February 2013 - 08:59 AM.

#5 Synkz

Synkz
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Blood Furnace
  • Retaliation
  • Talents: Destruction 0/2/0/0/2/.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

i was under the assumption that when you face a team from a different bg, that bg was still on the same datacenter as you.  I could be wrong and maybe this isn't what you're asking about.

an example would be that stormstrike queues into nightfall and retaliation if they get a cross bg queue.

Edited by Synkz, 28 February 2013 - 06:09 PM.

#6 Oliaxz

Oliaxz
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Illidan
  • Rampage
  • Talents:

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:05 PM

View PostSynkz, on 28 February 2013 - 06:08 PM, said:

i was under the assumption that when you face a team from a different bg, that bg was still on the same datacenter as you.  I could be wrong and maybe this isn't what you're asking about.

an example would be that stormstrike queues into nightfall and retaliation if they get a cross bg queue.

from what i heard it goes like this : Server > BG > other BGs in same data center > BGs in other data center

#7 Nightmonkey

Nightmonkey
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Darkspear
  • Cyclone
  • Talents: Holy 0/0/1/2/0/0
  • RBG: 1999

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:36 PM

View PostOliaxz, on 28 February 2013 - 10:05 PM, said:

from what i heard it goes like this : Server > BG > other BGs in same data center > BGs in other data center

Yeah, this would make sense.  I feel like they could probably consolidate entire data centers into one or two battlegroups to get us back on track.  I'm sure there are some overly complicated technical issues that probably none of us would understand, but the actual game would probably feel better.  Faster queues and more competition, what's not to like?

#8 Synkz

Synkz
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Blood Furnace
  • Retaliation
  • Talents: Destruction 0/2/0/0/2/.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:06 PM

I agree. Make each datacenter into it's own big bg, so we'd have 4 pretty big battlegroups.

#9 Smygenv

Smygenv
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Bloodhoof
  • Blackout
  • Talents:
  • RBG: 2253

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:35 PM

Would be sick if it was merged into bigger battlegroups in EU too , just keep the Russians and Germans in one BG tho fucking scumbag people.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<