ardnut
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents:
  • RBG: 1743

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

My guess will be your character will be transferred to a central database that is solely used for arena/RBG's.  I assume that is what they do for cross realm RBG's atm.  So what ever your ping is like on RBG's it will probably be the same for cross realm arenas.

Like I said I'm just guessing, so don't hold me to this.
* RBG/PvP Guild * Stormscale EU * Recruitment Thread * Click Below *
Posted Image

#42 Nightmonkey

Nightmonkey
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Darkspear
  • Cyclone
  • Talents: Holy 0/0/1/2/0/0
  • RBG: 1999

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:31 PM

View Posthairpiece, on 28 February 2013 - 12:21 PM, said:

i know how ping works, its not exactly rocket science.

if the data center were central, east coast would have same ping as west coast, roughly 30-50, while people in central region have slightly lower ping.  This would be best for everyone, because you can't just say let it choose base on what teams your fighting, or you are playing.  If i want to play with my friend who is on the west coast when i'm east coast, i would rather have us both play on a central server against central server people than have it force me to west coast data center, or force him east, and do the same for the opposing team.

I'm central and I ping servers that are central for 19ms or lower.  I ping west servers for around 100ms or higher.  Slightly less for Eastern.  This would give central players a decent little advantage.

What you said makes no sense at all, it wouldn't be best for everyone to just use a central server.  The best solution would be for the game to pick a server for each individual game that will give the most equal ping to both teams.

Let's say that there are 2 teams queuing arena.  Team A is from West, Team B is from Central.

In your scenario the game would be played on a central server, and Team B would have a clear advantage.

In my scenario the game would be played on a server somewhere in between, likely in the mountain time zone, and both teams would be on even footing.  The game would have to adapt to each queue individually and place teams accordingly.  I have a feeling that the game already does this for certain CRZ, cross realm bgs, and even arena situations when you get a cross battlegroup queue.  This is why they implemented the "Home" and "World" ping.

#43 Pritchard

Pritchard
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Frost 0/2/0/2/0/0

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:23 AM

View PostNightmonkey, on 28 February 2013 - 10:31 PM, said:

I'm central and I ping servers that are central for 19ms or lower.  I ping west servers for around 100ms or higher.  Slightly less for Eastern.  This would give central players a decent little advantage.

What you said makes no sense at all, it wouldn't be best for everyone to just use a central server.  The best solution would be for the game to pick a server for each individual game that will give the most equal ping to both teams.

Let's say that there are 2 teams queuing arena.  Team A is from West, Team B is from Central.

In your scenario the game would be played on a central server, and Team B would have a clear advantage.

In my scenario the game would be played on a server somewhere in between, likely in the mountain time zone, and both teams would be on even footing.  The game would have to adapt to each queue individually and place teams accordingly.  I have a feeling that the game already does this for certain CRZ, cross realm bgs, and even arena situations when you get a cross battlegroup queue.  This is why they implemented the "Home" and "World" ping.

im central and i ping west coast and east coast almost the exact same, with central under 20, not sure what your ping problem is.

#44 Nightmonkey

Nightmonkey
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Darkspear
  • Cyclone

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:22 AM

View Posthairpiece, on 01 March 2013 - 02:23 AM, said:

im central and i ping west coast and east coast almost the exact same, with central under 20, not sure what your ping problem is.

Those numbers were off the top of my head, I haven't logged on an East or West coast server in a long time.  None of that affects what I said about the server always being in a central location depending on which 2 teams are playing each other.

If they had the ability to give each team the best possible ping instead of always skewing for central, wouldn't that be the best?

#45 Pritchard

Pritchard
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:05 AM

it would be best if you were q'ing against same location people with same location people on your team.

if i'm east coast qing with east coast friends i would rather go against east coast people.

if i'm east coast playing with west coast friends going against the same i would rather play on central so we all had playable ping.

#46 ardnut

ardnut
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents:

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:15 AM

Jesus christ the advantage is fucking tiny!!!  Talk about nit picking.  This is the smallest little problem you are making for something that will be hugely beneficial to the arena community.  They are going to a lot of trouble to make this happen if they do it...making it even more complicated by having 5 data centers is silly.  They just aren't going to throw that amount of resources at less than 2% of the wow community.

How about we ask for realistic, achievable features instead of going overboard with silly requests that are never going to happen.
Posted Image

#47 Pritchard

Pritchard
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:05 AM

View Postardnut, on 01 March 2013 - 08:15 AM, said:

Jesus christ the advantage is fucking tiny!!!  Talk about nit picking.  This is the smallest little problem you are making for something that will be hugely beneficial to the arena community.  They are going to a lot of trouble to make this happen if they do it...making it even more complicated by having 5 data centers is silly.  They just aren't going to throw that amount of resources at less than 2% of the wow community.

How about we ask for realistic, achievable features instead of going overboard with silly requests that are never going to happen.

my request was to make it host games on a central data center, i couldn't imagine that not being realistic.

#48 ardnut

ardnut
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents:

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:15 AM

View Posthairpiece, on 01 March 2013 - 10:05 AM, said:

my request was to make it host games on a central data center, i couldn't imagine that not being realistic.

My post was aimed at nightmonkey...I should of quoted him for clarity.
Posted Image

#49 Pritchard

Pritchard
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:26 AM

View Postardnut, on 01 March 2013 - 10:15 AM, said:

My post was aimed at nightmonkey...I should of quoted him for clarity.

word, i do agree with that.  I think having one data center for us would be best, and (almost) equal for everyone in the states, with the advantage from the players being really really small, and melee should be able to not have any problems on a central database server.

i would assume the same would go for eu data center as well, if its not already pretty centralized.

#50 ardnut

ardnut
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents:

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

EU is smaller than USA in width and maybe slightly taller ...but not a lot in it.  I think a central server base for EU would be no problem for the ping issue.  Having the server somewhere like France/Germany/Belguim/Austria would be fine.
Posted Image

#51 Mindsmoothie

Mindsmoothie
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Spirestone
  • Reckoning
  • Talents: Retribution 1/0/1/2/0/0
  • 2v2: 2378
  • 3v3: 2718
  • RBG: 2329

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:13 AM

I think merging the BG's into regions (west,central and east) for US realms would be the best solution (assuming you live near the server you play on) as it would cut down que times and no team would have an unfair advantage because of lag. However if you don't live near the server you play on and get 200ms (like me) having the games hosted on a central server would be better even though people who live in a central region will have an advantage. Neither solution seems perfect, interested as to how they are going to try to implement this and hope they pursue it as it is an enormous improvement on the current system. Also, has anyone thought about how r1 titles would be distributed if there were to be (theoretically) 1 or 3 massive BGs?

#52 ardnut

ardnut
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents:

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:18 AM

View PostMindsmoothie, on 01 March 2013 - 11:13 AM, said:

I think merging the BG's into regions (west,central and east) for US realms would be the best solution (assuming you live near the server you play on) as it would cut down que times and no team would have an unfair advantage because of lag. However if you don't live near the server you play on and get 200ms (like me) having the games hosted on a central server would be better even though people who live in a central region will have an advantage. Neither solution seems perfect, interested as to how they are going to try to implement this and hope they pursue it as it is an enormous improvement on the current system. Also, has anyone thought about how r1 titles would be distributed if there were to be (theoretically) 1 or 3 massive BGs?

I still feel one massive BG is best... but I can see them doing 3 instead.

I think they would keep Rank 1 the same as it is now.  Rank 1 would really mean something if it was just one big BG.  Atm it's a bit like boxing... the best of the best can dodge each other and 4 ppl can have a world title at the same time.  The best of the best should have to fight each other and made to compete for rank 1.  Then people would respect the rank 1 title.
Posted Image

#53 fant0m8

fant0m8
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Eredar
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Marksmanship

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

View Postardnut, on 01 March 2013 - 11:18 AM, said:

I still feel one massive BG is best... but I can see them doing 3 instead.

I think they would keep Rank 1 the same as it is now.  Rank 1 would really mean something if it was just one big BG.  Atm it's a bit like boxing... the best of the best can dodge each other and 4 ppl can have a world title at the same time.  The best of the best should have to fight each other and made to compete for rank 1.  Then people would respect the rank 1 title.

Won't really be much different from the BG9 title. Except that there will be a lot more sniping of rank 2 with 2200 alts.
Bye again! This game isn't fun when you don't know anyone else that still plays.

#54 ardnut

ardnut
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents:

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:16 PM

Well I don't know exactly how the US battlegroups work tbh... but it will make a difference to EU because Cyclone and Misery will have to compete against each other... although I suspect the top players might play on both BG's?
Posted Image

#55 Hyrmine

Hyrmine
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Arms 2/1/1/1/1/0

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:18 PM

I wish they removed 5v5 and allowed us to have 2 3v3 teams instead.

#56 Nightmonkey

Nightmonkey
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Darkspear
  • Cyclone

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:12 PM

View Postardnut, on 01 March 2013 - 08:15 AM, said:

How about we ask for realistic, achievable feat

View Posthairpiece, on 01 March 2013 - 10:05 AM, said:

ures instead of going overboard with silly requests that are never going to happen.

What you're missing here is that we already have somewhere around 5 data centers in the US.

Instead of closing up all the ones they already have and making one giant central one that could put some players at a disadvantage, they could use the ones they already have to make sure that each game is played on a server that provides both teams an equal ping.

What is hard to understand about that?  This isn't even an opinion at this point, it would be objectively better in terms of keeping everyone's ping equal.

View Posthairpiece, on 01 March 2013 - 07:05 AM, said:

it would be best if you were q'ing against same location people with same location people on your team.

if i'm east coast qing with east coast friends i would rather go against east coast people.

if i'm east coast playing with west coast friends going against the same i would rather play on central so we all had playable ping.

This isn't really any different than what I've suggested.  You could go on with this same model and say if you're West coast you should play against West coast people, but if you sit in queue long enough and get somebody from Central then under my model the game would be played on a Mountain server.  Under your model the game would be played on a Central server and the West coast team would be at a disadvantage just for sitting in a longer queue.

All that said, I generally don't notice a difference unless my ping is over 100.  Since I am Cental I can ping just about any server for <100, so either model could work, but we already have the infrastructure to give everyone a fair ping - so why not use it?

#57 ardnut

ardnut
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents:

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:32 PM

I just think this is a none issue as you can get under 100 ms ping to a central server from just about anywhere in the US.  Anything under 100 ms is just fine.
Posted Image

#58 Mirionx

Mirionx
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Holy 1/2/2/2/2/0
  • RBG: 2662

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:49 PM

As long as they make sure to buff rogues i'm ok with this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<