A Mod to help stream/video viewers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 discoepfeand

discoepfeand
  • Premium
  • Curse Premium

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:36 AM

I think I would watch more arena videos/streams if there were a scrolling text box that showed ability usage and target:

Cyclone -> MrTarget
Rejuvenation -> MyArenaBuddy

etc.

Right now I can appreciate some % of what you good players do based on the skype calls, but the videos I really like watching are the ones where there's a narration of what you're doing and why.  If that sort of discourse could be offloaded to an addon instead of having to go back and record a narration track, or trying to do it as you play, it would be a lot more informative and I'd be much more interested.

Just a thought.

#2 Thaya

Thaya
  • Moderators
  • LocationRussia

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:16 AM

I wanted to resurrect old LoseControl before I quit, the one that added its icons into the portrait - that looked best and served this exact reason too (being viewer friendly). By far the most eloquent, simple and pretty type of LoseControl possible, imho.

I think showing every ability would be quite stupid, CC is enough to please the viewers. Showing every ability would just be incredibly annoying for the person playing, and spammy.
Default UI Scripts - Compilation & how-to

#3 WildeHilde

WildeHilde
  • Content Editors
  • Curse Premium
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • EU-Aegwynn
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Combat 1/1/2/1/1/0
  • RBG: 2215
  • LocationSouthern Germany

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:35 AM

Vadrak the author of the tournament UI Arena Live is working on Unit Frames in that style. It will include a toggle-able cast history for all 4/6/10 players and many other features. The addon will probably change how streams look like pretty fast. He is just finishing some tests at university and will start coding once he is done.

#4 discoepfeand

discoepfeand
  • Premium
  • Curse Premium

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:05 AM

I wrote a quick addon anyway just for giggles to see how hard/easy it would be.  Doing so using chat frames - essentially doing a more granular setting than I think the combat log allows - was relatively painless, about 90 minutes cause I'm slow :-(

The hardest part is that a spell that has a cast time can't tell you who it's being casted on until after it's done.  That's an API limitation by Blizzard.  So, currently the addon just guesses that you're casting the spell on your target.  Obviously if I have an enemy targetted and I cast flash heal on myself, the addon is going to give you garbage info, and I wasn't willing to spend the time on a first pass to do all the permutations for the combat_log of successfully casted cast-time spells.

Anyway, I set the chat window to have a fadeout of 10 seconds, and this is about as spammy as it gets as far as I've been able to tell so far.  I guess that makes sense with a priest's GCD and the fadeout timer of 10 sec.

Posted Image

#5 Splondir

Splondir
  • Members
  • Trollclass_name
  • US-Illidan
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Elemental 2/1/2/1/0/2
  • RBG: 1850
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

TrufiGCD sounds like what you want.

#6 discoepfeand

discoepfeand
  • Premium
  • Curse Premium

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:02 AM

That mod is certainly way more advanced and comprehensive than what I was thinking.  It doesn't, however, show the destination of the abilities used.  If I'm watching a stream, I may want to explicitly see a focus blind or similar.

But in total, yes, that mod is pretty damn awesome looking and way more comprehensive than what I was looking at.  Ty for pointing it out - I wish streamers would use it so I could appreciate their videos better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<