GW2 PvP worthwhile?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Rerroll

Rerroll
  • Members

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:47 PM

View Postysnakewoo, on 19 May 2013 - 05:32 PM, said:

A little off-topic, but what actually put me off from GW2 was the fact that they did not care about PvP at the start, at all, that was a huge mistake on their part. Don't get me wrong, I had high hopes for this game and our guild was in top 3 or something on our server.

They gave everything that is annoying about WoW, from free PvP gear for everyone to free character migrations, but the execution was poor. There was no incentive to play tournaments because you ended up roflstomping the first two teams and then either roflstomp the third map as well or just get annihilated with 2-3 Mesmer/Guardian comps (we even won a tournament with 4v5 on all maps, since one of our mates got DCed).

Even though fights can look like an "AoE clusterfuck" to an untrained eye, we all had coordination and we knew what we were doing and what our opponents were doing. It's just the lack of basically any updates regarding PvP lead to a near-forgotten game and it took them months to fix the damn HS/Frenzy spam, which was annoying as fuck, even if you dodge the last two (which I usually did), they can still kill you. (I was a Necromancer)

PvP in release was very poor. However all the issues you described are now fixed (ie: now you fight teams with similar rating to yours)

#22 Reirei

Reirei
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Assassination 2/2/1/1/0/0
  • RBG: 1952
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:09 PM

is the game worth trying out now?

kind of fed up with wow and LoL matchmaking systen and amount of trolling makes me wanna uninstall already
shut up pvp guy

#23 Sh1bbyness

Sh1bbyness
  • Members

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:09 PM

View PostReirei, on 26 June 2013 - 03:09 PM, said:

is the game worth trying out now?

kind of fed up with wow and LoL matchmaking systen and amount of trolling makes me wanna uninstall already

I would say yes, but GW2's biggest problem right now is lack of community. After the mass exodus by the PvP community months ago, they haven't really recovered. The post before yours is true: they've added a ton of awesome features that would make sPvP beautiful for twitch/tournament etc. Curse has tried getting a couple of these going this last month or so, but everyone seems too caught up in fotm mmo, NWO or they're still on WoW.

You can go back and try it like myself and a couple of friends have. But if you played it a while ago, you'll be disappointed by how few people will be online. Plus, the skill quality of people in randoms is the lowest it's been since their stress tests back in the day.

Just a few thoughts. I'm personally talking to a bunch of people I know, trying to get them to give it another go. If ANet hadn't hyped the game as eSport focused, and then ignored PvP completely for 8ish months, we wouldn't be in this mess.

EDIT: Curse isn't the only one trying. There's a match for ESL too: (not letting me post the link)

Would be nice if the match actually got news coverage or something. It would be a step back into getting people interested in the game again. Maybe then twitch wouldn't be overrun with LoL/dota/SC

#24 Rerroll

Rerroll
  • Members

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:33 PM

The pvp in gw2 is beautiful & fun.

However I quit because to play competitively you'll have to play quite a lot (4-5 hours/day training with the team) and I don't have so much free time. Anyway, im keeping an eye on the game and I'll return as soon as they implement soloq (that should happen in august, since they have been working on that for a while).

Btw, if anyone wants to try it out but is worried by the health of the game there's nothing to worry. The pvp community is increasing and arenanet doubled the number of dev teams they have.

#25 Regent

Regent
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Mistweaver 1/0/2/0/0/1
  • 2v2: 2273
  • 3v3: 2634
  • 5v5: 2359
  • RBG: 2126

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:37 PM

GW2s PvP window of opportunity has passed.

Even if they were to fix all the problems, it would be a collosal undertaking to convince all the teams to reform.

People spent thousands of dollars getting websites for strategies and teams up.

We spent 6 hours a day practicing, all for nothing.

It will be insanely hard to convince people to trust ANet again.

On a side note: I don't think the dodge rolling thing worked out, it just became who had the better internet.

Edited by Regent, 14 July 2013 - 10:38 PM.

#26 Reirei

Reirei
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:19 AM

Well, i tried GW2 out, and i love the game actually (pve and pvp).

As for pvp, WvW is actually really fun if you are in pvp guild. Success in WvW gives buffs to entire server so many ppl are actually motivated to go there and take part on it.

Arena can be quite frustrating if you queue alone, basically like random BGs with bunch of noobs etc.but you can kind of carry team to certain extend. I like how the game even though being bursty doesn't punish you too much for dying like let's say wow arena but works more like LoL matches, where to win match you need to complete objectives.

I also really like the fact that gw2 is not about gridning gear but getting e-peen things like skins, fun items etc. so if you are not into mindlessly farming bosses/dungeons but would rather actually pvp or just do fun shit, the game is really great for that since every gear exotic quality/legendary quality has same stats and exotics are really easy to get. For arena you don't even need to lv up or farm any gear, you just get it handled over once you enter pre arena zone.

There are few things like bunker guardians sitting forever on node or people zoom hacking, but aside from that i think i like gw2 more than wow at this point. Anet is at least trying to work on pvp, while wow pvp is.....yeah, i don't need to say much here. Given, wow pvp community is probably bigger but it seems like Blizz does everything possible to kill it while anet is trying to motivate people to pvp.

As for dodge roll, i didn't find it so bad and i play from EU on NA servers so my ping is not exactly best. In fact, it is more fun than in wow since you actively decide if you will dodge/be immune to attack and don't have to rely on RNG.
shut up pvp guy

#27 ysnakewoo

ysnakewoo
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Argent Dawn
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • Talents: Discipline 1/0/1/1/2/1
  • LocationBosnia and Herzegovina

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:05 AM

New condition meta is atrocious.

ANet needs to make serious changes to the game if they want it to be fun/competitive at fucking all. Currently, it is just shit and I've played it quite a bit over the past few weeks.
I'm not useless, I can be used as a bad example.

#28 Reirei

Reirei
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:54 PM

View Postysnakewoo, on 31 August 2013 - 11:05 AM, said:

New condition meta is atrocious.

ANet needs to make serious changes to the game if they want it to be fun/competitive at fucking all. Currently, it is just shit and I've played it quite a bit over the past few weeks.

what do you mean? i didn't have many issues with conditions, but i play thief
shut up pvp guy

#29 ysnakewoo

ysnakewoo
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Argent Dawn
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • Talents: Discipline 1/0/1/1/2/1
  • LocationBosnia and Herzegovina

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:46 PM

View PostReirei, on 02 September 2013 - 01:54 PM, said:

what do you mean? i didn't have many issues with conditions, but i play thief

Jeez, where to being. Burning, they are so easily applied, pure damage, aka power builds, are no longer viable because conditions=mass toughness spec with most classes. I played a Spirit Ranger without knowing what my abilities do and I had 10+ kills every tournament game without dying until we met a team with 2 Spirit Rangers and 3 Necromancers.

Only Backstab thieves work in hotjoin, but even they suck if you know how to avoid Backstab.
I'm not useless, I can be used as a bad example.

#30 Ayrasaurus

Ayrasaurus
  • Junkies
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Arms 1/1/2/1/1/0
  • RBG: 2379
  • LocationYorkshire mates

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:53 AM

Add ayraswag/ayrasaurus I'll carry some people in some tournaments (=

In the mood for some gw2 of late so going to reinstall it :P

Edited by Ayrasaurus, 03 September 2013 - 11:53 AM.

Posted Image

emotional

Posted Image

Thaya Ayra Omegatfwnogfboys2k15

#31 Envenom.

Envenom.
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Alonsus
  • Cruelty / Crueldad
  • Talents: Retribution

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:28 AM

gw2 is fun in WvW only for me, love having random skirmishes

WvW's  only downside if the punishment for dying is a 10 min walk (which it has to be or zergs would never end)

doesnt this look like fun?

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<