#1 Kriegar

Kriegar
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Discipline

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:07 PM

I'm a former GW1 player, from alpha testing all the way through the Factions tournament. I participated at the first two world championships in GW1, quit shortly after to play WoW with friends. Most everyone I've asked about GW2 is of a similar background, so fairly jaded about ANet's dedication to making PvP competitively viable. I'm hoping to get some less biased opinions here:

1) How is GW2's PvP community?
2) Tournaments, via ANet or 3rd party?
3) PvE req for PvP still?

I'm looking for something that is balanced, no PvE grind required, and not as time consuming to be competitive as it is in GW1 or WoW.

Edited by Kriegar, 21 February 2013 - 02:17 AM.

#2 Fernling306

Fernling306

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:35 AM

View PostKriegar, on 20 February 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

I'm a former GW1 player, from alpha testing all the way through the Factions tournament. I participated at the first two world championships in GW1, quit shortly after to play WoW with friends. Most everyone I've asked about GW2 is of a similar background, so fairly jaded about ANet's dedication to making PvP competitively viable. I'm hoping to get some less biased opinions here:

I'm looking for something that is balanced, no PvE grind required, and not as time consuming to be competitive as it is in GW1 or WoW.

1. Nonexistent, Anet dropped the ball on this one. Maybe in the future.

2. None.

3. Nope, instantly maxed with access to everything.

#3 Thricton

Thricton
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Arcane 0/2/1/1/1/.
  • LocationON, Canada

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:25 AM

The PvP community died pretty quick. Anet didn't do anything to support PvP with matchmaking/ladder/etc and it seemed imbalanced as fuck to me too.

#4 Footler

Footler
  • Members

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:23 AM

View PostKriegar, on 20 February 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

GW2 PvP is essentially a bunch of people fighting in a small circle spamming all of their skills.  There is some teamwork involved in there somewhere but it is incredibly shallow compared to GW1 or WoW.

I'd say wait until the first expansion.

#5 Kriegar

Kriegar
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

Thanks for the input. I guess everyone else I asked was spot on, previous bias or not.

ANet makes me sad, their games always start off with such potential. :(

#6 Drinfamous

Drinfamous
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Kel'Thuzad
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Retribution
  • RBG: 2083

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:20 AM

shut up kriegar

#7 GLopez

GLopez
  • Junkies
  • Goblinclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Unholy 0/1/2/2/0/2

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:37 AM

The game has been off to an awful start because of the severe lack of supporting infrastructure, but ArenaNet has made some changes and is planning some more in the near future.

Already, ratings were added, but they are currently invisible to players. ArenaNet also changed the matchmaking so it queues players for a single match — a huge improvement from the previous three-round paid tournaments, which were too much of a time commitment with a big barrier to entry.

In the next few weeks, they'll also be adding leaderboards. After that, they're going to be doing custom arenas and spectator mode.

Most people say the game is doomed because it had a rough start, but I'm a little more optimistic. It still has some fragments of a PvP community, and the PvE and world vs. world side is so big that when structured PvP does finally have the right features, there will be plenty of people to fill in the ranks. It's just a matter of waiting for ArenaNet to get in features that really should have been in at launch.

Edited by GLopez, 18 March 2013 - 05:49 AM.

#8 Evolute

Evolute
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Restoration 0/2/0/1/0/0
  • RBG: 192
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:59 PM

View PostGLopez, on 18 March 2013 - 05:37 AM, said:

The game has been off to an awful start because of the severe lack of supporting infrastructure, but ArenaNet has made some changes and is planning some more in the near future.
... you.. you exist still?

Posted Image

#9 GLopez

GLopez
  • Junkies
  • Goblinclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:11 PM

Of course. I just don't post much on the WOW side of the forums because no one wants to read about me being tired of that game.

#10 Covlol

Covlol
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Fury 0/1/1/0/2/2
  • 2v2: 1924
  • 3v3: 2468
  • 5v5: 2282
  • RBG: 1787

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:39 PM

View PostGLopez, on 18 March 2013 - 06:11 PM, said:

Of course. I just don't post much on the WOW side of the forums because no one wants to read about me being tired of that game.

wish more ppl would adopt ur mind set
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Lvl 1 Dk Legend Covlol

#11 Neglekt

Neglekt
  • Members

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:09 AM

xasdasdasd asdasdas

#12 GodPoring

GodPoring
  • Members

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:46 PM

I found guildwars 2 PvP Not really worth while at all.
It was fun at first with friends but quickly became sub-par compared to many other games sadly.

#13 Kriegar

Kriegar
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:02 AM

View PostGLopez, on 18 March 2013 - 05:37 AM, said:

Already, ratings were added, but they are currently invisible to players. ArenaNet also changed the matchmaking so it queues players for a single match — a huge improvement from the previous three-round paid tournaments, which were too much of a time commitment with a big barrier to entry.

In the next few weeks, they'll also be adding leaderboards. After that, they're going to be doing custom arenas and spectator mode.

Most people say the game is doomed because it had a rough start, but I'm a little more optimistic. It still has some fragments of a PvP community, and the PvE and world vs. world side is so big that when structured PvP does finally have the right features, there will be plenty of people to fill in the ranks. It's just a matter of waiting for ArenaNet to get in features that really should have been in at launch.

I might pick it up and give it a shot then. I'm surprised they didn't have at least spectator mode as that was a huge part of GW1's GvG system.

#14 Rerroll

Rerroll
  • Members

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:52 PM

The game is actually very fun to play, it's the most action based pvp you will find in an mmo atm. Comparing it to wow, it's less technic (interrupting, fakecasting, enemy CDs are not as important). To success in GW2 you will have to land your combos, dodge when necessary, know when to initiate a fight and when to leave (even if you are winning that fight), understand the map positioning, etc.
You are 5 guys fighting for 3 nodes, if you are in the wrong spot your team is screwed.

It's true that arenanet has ignored pvp for a while, but there's a community because the game is very fun to play (once you understand the tactics, maps and builds).

The pvp was quite dead the last months, but with the release of leaderboards many people came back, and there's again a few competitive teams fighting for a good place in the ladder.

leaderboards(dot)guildwars2(dot)com
gwshack(dot)info

There's also a guy trying to organize a gw2 team league in the upcomming days:

gwleague(dot)com

However dont expect esports nor highly competitive pvp. This won't happen until we get the features the game lacks, that are coming but slowly. In my opinion they used na/eu to betatest the game and won't aim competitive pvp until they release in china/asia this year.

If you play this game do it for the funs, otherwise you will burn out!

#15 GLopez

GLopez
  • Junkies
  • Goblinclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:10 PM

The game's PvP scene is definitely growing now with leaderboards, custom arenas, spectator mode, regular tournaments, and shoutcasting.

#16 Rerroll

Rerroll
  • Members

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:42 PM

tournament finals: twitch.tv/guildwars2guru

#17 Bamflol

Bamflol
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Bleeding Hollow
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Holy 2/1/1/2/0/0
  • RBG: 2493
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:51 PM

Not going to lie, I did enjoy it, but I burned myself out of it REALLY fast, which is why I stopped playing. I'm not sure why I couldn't stick to it, or say Tera, maybe i'm just getting to the point where i'm done with mmos, however, I did overall enjoy the pvp side of things. Sure there was some imbalances like with any game, however as stated before by others, it just seemed like there was a lack of support for the community. Especially the rough start with tournies not even rewarding chests for a solid like 2-3 weeks haha xP

#18 Smellyead

Smellyead
  • Members

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:12 PM

I tried it again but it just feel the same as when I quit.

1 or 2 classes are god mode. 1 or 2 classes are complete dogshit.

Every team is exactly the same setup because xyz is too good together, team fights are just an AoE clusterfuck, with very little target calling required since you just AoE cleave people down with the meta setups.

If your class isn't one of the 5 in the current meta you may aswell not play since no team wants you to play then.

If they'd actually completely separate abilities in PvE and PvP then maybe they could achieve a much better balance but they don't seem to want to push more resources to sPvP since PvE and WvW brings in more $$$.

#19 GLopez

GLopez
  • Junkies
  • Goblinclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:08 AM

Pretty much all of the classes are "meta" except necromancer and warrior, and neither are that far behind. (I play a necromancer.)

Abilities are fairly separated between PvE and PvP.

It's definitely easy to think there are imbalances when you're new to the game, though. It's the same reason high-level casters used to wreck death knights with silences while low-level casters insisted death knights were invincible.

Edited by GLopez, 19 May 2013 - 02:08 AM.

#20 ysnakewoo

ysnakewoo
  • Junkies
  • Trollclass_name
  • EU-Hellfire
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Frost
  • LocationBosnia and Herzegovina

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:32 PM

A little off-topic, but what actually put me off from GW2 was the fact that they did not care about PvP at the start, at all, that was a huge mistake on their part. Don't get me wrong, I had high hopes for this game and our guild was in top 3 or something on our server.

They gave everything that is annoying about WoW, from free PvP gear for everyone to free character migrations, but the execution was poor. There was no incentive to play tournaments because you ended up roflstomping the first two teams and then either roflstomp the third map as well or just get annihilated with 2-3 Mesmer/Guardian comps (we even won a tournament with 4v5 on all maps, since one of our mates got DCed).

Even though fights can look like an "AoE clusterfuck" to an untrained eye, we all had coordination and we knew what we were doing and what our opponents were doing. It's just the lack of basically any updates regarding PvP lead to a near-forgotten game and it took them months to fix the damn HS/Frenzy spam, which was annoying as fuck, even if you dodge the last two (which I usually did), they can still kill you. (I was a Necromancer)
I'm not useless, I can be used as a bad example.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<