from a random /mu/ chart
[20:05:48] ALEXIS JAGGER: I'd like to think
[20:05:51] ALEXIS JAGGER: I'm a modest person

#42 Thaya

Thaya
  • Moderators
  • LocationRussia

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:28 AM

Age of Love is a classic, I listen to the original and some of the remixes till this day; the Jam & Spoon remix is pretty much THE most essential trance track for me, it defines exactly what I think the genre should be. I was going to link it when the words "real trance" were posted here, but didn't want to make it a "who knows more oldschool shit" competition yet. The same can be said about Dance 2 Trance. Nobody does trance like that anymore.

Sasha & Digweed are partly responsible for the whole "progressive" thing and the way trance sounds now ("progressive trance"). Oakenfolds mixes are a good example of progressive/trance music too, along with others like Paul van Dyk, Ferry Corsten, Tiesto (in his golden days), etc. They popularized progressive. If "essential trance records" you meant from a historical sense, i.e. the roots of the genre, then you're spot on - you can compare what trance was in the beginning and what it is now.

I would link you something specific if I remembered it all better. Sasha's Global Underground Ibiza and San Francisco, especially the latter is a must hear, but these are more prog house than trance I believe, but then again I don't think I've seen anything tagged progressive trance without also being tagged progressive house.

Underworld isn't exactly trance, it's a great band that does great music in a whole bunch of genres, you'd have to look at their tracks individually to use them as an example of trance music. I fucking love "Born Slippy" (Trainspotting OST), listen if you haven't heard it, not really an example of trance though.

EDIT:
Also I just remembered a track that was remixed over 9000 times in modern trance and you can hear it in mixes from over 10 years ago as well as mixes from 5 years ago. Bit of an anthem of modern trance by now.
Spoiler

Edited by Thaya, 18 February 2013 - 02:05 PM.

Default UI Scripts - Compilation & how-to

#43 skylar1

skylar1
  • Junkies
  • LocationZagreb, Croatia

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:38 AM

I'm afraid the oldest trance I listen to is from the System F days... I'm quiet young so many of those artists above are not familiar to me, you could say im an ASOT/TATW year 2008 onwards kid :)

One of best albums definitely Inner Me by Ashley Wallbridge.

Edited by skylar1, 18 February 2013 - 12:39 AM.

WARBOUND BROSTORMS

#44 Thaya

Thaya
  • Moderators
  • LocationRussia

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:45 AM

This is trance for me.

View Postskylar1, on 18 February 2013 - 12:38 AM, said:

I'm afraid the oldest trance I listen to is from the System F days... I'm quiet young so many of those artists above are not familiar to me, you could say im an ASOT/TATW year 2008 onwards kid :)

One of best albums definitely Inner Me by Ashley Wallbridge.
Oaky, Sasha & Digweed are all still active, surely you've heard of them. Definitely listen to their most known mixes/compilations, many call it golden age of progressive and trance, and I agree to an extent. Besides, if you heard and liked Ferry Corsten's older works (I assume so if you know him from the time he used System F alias), you'll love that shit.

Edited by Thaya, 18 February 2013 - 03:34 AM.

#45 Thaya

Thaya
  • Moderators
  • LocationRussia

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:10 AM

Just sat here listening to Born Slippy again, live version

The energy, holy FUCK I'd want to be there

Edited by Thaya, 18 February 2013 - 02:22 AM.

#46 Brian_Emo

Brian_Emo
  • Members

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

View PostAwesoMegAmazing, on 17 February 2013 - 09:14 PM, said:

One of the more creative tracks I've heard:
• Duderstadt - Stranded In NYC (Original Mix)

is this some kind of joke?

#47 treeqt

treeqt
  • Members

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

i dig duderstadt when they do this kinda stuff

[20:05:48] ALEXIS JAGGER: I'd like to think
[20:05:51] ALEXIS JAGGER: I'm a modest person

#48 Fairlol

Fairlol
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Aegwynn
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Discipline 1/2/1/1/1/2
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:10 PM

I like it! :o

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Naa9pyRuvc

#49 Brian_Emo

Brian_Emo
  • Members

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

not that it's bad but it certainly doesn't scream 'creativity'. does the term 'progressive' trance actually mean something or does it just get thrown around randomly?

#50 Thaya

Thaya
  • Moderators
  • LocationRussia

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:41 PM

Pretty much everything called trance in media is progressive trance now (except for the harder styles and psychedelic, obviously, those are entirely different branches), or stupid non existent genres like epic trance, anthem trance, etc. As I said, nobody makes "classic" trance anymore, like the aforementioned Dance 2 Trance.

Pretty much everything that reached the UK electronic scene in the early 90s got butchered and had progressive added to its name - progressive house, progressive breaks both exist, and there were countless other attempts of "progressing" something that thankfully didn't stick. You know it even got to a point where they tried to invent a genre just called "progressive"? progressive nothing.

If you're interested in this stuff: http://techno.org/el...ic-music-guide/ this chart is pretty popular, some of you probably seen it before.

It's not really objective at times and even biased, and it only follows up to very early 2000's - some of the definitions morphed since then, so don't follow it to the letter. The 90s are very detailed and accurate however, and it says much more than I can (w/ examples!).

Edited by Thaya, 19 February 2013 - 12:06 PM.

#51 Maleficent

Maleficent
  • Junkies

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:18 AM

Is Above and Beyond still considered trance?

#52 AwesoMegAmazing

AwesoMegAmazing
  • Members
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

View PostMaleficent, on 19 February 2013 - 06:18 AM, said:

Is Above and Beyond still considered trance?

Above & Beyond makes many different styles of electronic music, yes, still some trance.

View PostThaya, on 18 February 2013 - 07:41 PM, said:

Pretty much everything called trance in media is progressive trance now

Not true. Progressive Trance is defined by being much more... well... progressive. The main differences from normal trance:
• Lower BPM
• Usually the "main melody" is introduced prior to the mellow breakdown
• More focus on dynamics and transitions

Essentially regular trance has a bigger focus on melodies, while Progressive trance has a larger focus on dynamics and there is more repetition of melodies. Progressive Trance is a lot like progressive house but more clearly melodically themed, and usually higher BPM.

Honestly yeah there's not much of a difference to the average listener.

View PostDuckers, on 09 February 2011 - 04:05 PM, said:

I eat McDonalds every day

View PostDuckers, on 12 June 2012 - 07:44 AM, said:

Can't ever really go wrong with McDonalds.

View PostDuckers, on 08 August 2012 - 12:25 AM, said:

Get that girl a Happy Meal and she will never leave you.

#53 Brian_Emo

Brian_Emo
  • Members

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

to the average listener

#54 Thaya

Thaya
  • Moderators
  • LocationRussia

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

View PostAwesoMegAmazing, on 19 February 2013 - 12:28 PM, said:

Not true. Progressive Trance is defined by being much more... well... progressive. The main differences from normal trance:
• Lower BPM
• Usually the "main melody" is introduced prior to the mellow breakdown
• More focus on dynamics and transitions

Essentially regular trance has a bigger focus on melodies, while Progressive trance has a larger focus on dynamics and there is more repetition of melodies. Progressive Trance is a lot like progressive house but more clearly melodically themed, and usually higher BPM.

Honestly yeah there's not much of a difference to the average listener.
What I meant is that nobody makes classic trance anymore, and all the popular trance radioshows and artists today pretty much just do progressive exclusively. The whole meaning of the term "trance" shifted when progressive shaped into existence and became popular.

Edited by Thaya, 19 February 2013 - 04:09 PM.

#55 Duckers

Duckers
  • Moderators
  • Curse Premium
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Cho'gall
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Affliction
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

My favourite part of this thread was Skylar getting all sassy with Thaya until he dropped some knowledge bombs on him, then he was all like "idk im not familar :("

#56 Maleficent

Maleficent
  • Junkies

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:17 AM

Bumping.

#57 skylar1

skylar1
  • Junkies

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:14 PM

View PostDuckers, on 19 February 2013 - 03:34 PM, said:

My favourite part of this thread was Skylar getting all sassy with Thaya until he dropped some knowledge bombs on him, then he was all like "idk im not familar :("

that never happened, i still stand my ground and i argumented my claims. thing is, thaya was more into technical terms as in trance indeed is EDM if we go that road, but EDM these days stands as a genre for itself under ELECTRONIC MUSIC genre and it represents today's progressive house with elements from many other genres of electronic music. when someone says theyre going to an EDM party this weekend does not mean the DJs will play house, trance, dubstep, electro etc. (unless the DJ is a kid playing from winamp :D)

in a way, we were both right.

unless thaya's googling all the shit he posted on last 2 pages just to act smart, he knows what's he talking about and i give him credit for it. he's probably a couple of years older than me and he's into a style of trance that was popular back when he started listening to it. i've been into trance for about 5 years now which makes me an active listener since i was 15. and usually trance parties are populated with people age of 20 and more, no wonder our taste is slightly different.

instead of starting the ended discussion again and bringing negativity, you could spend some time in learning how to read while actually understanding what you've read. ;) inb4 so many mad

let's go back to music, this is amazing :D

Edited by skylar1, 21 February 2013 - 09:15 PM.

WARBOUND BROSTORMS

#58 Thaya

Thaya
  • Moderators
  • LocationRussia

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:32 PM

I used to be really into progressive when I was 19-22. Never really liked synth-heavy tracks that dominate in trance though, so house was closer to me.

That video reminded me of a certain gem from those days:

Still fucking love Gabriel & Dresden, remember I was so sad when they announced they won't be working as a duo anymore.

Edited by Thaya, 21 February 2013 - 11:38 PM.

#59 Thaya

Thaya
  • Moderators
  • LocationRussia

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

I bet some of you heard Motorcycle - As The Rush Come (Gabriel & Dresden Chillout Remix) - G&D's most popular track easily - I'd link it too but let's stay on the subject of prog/trance.
Spoiler

But I can link the original

There are also mixes from Armin and Above & Beyond on this by the way, for those fanboys of you : )

Edit: well fuck, now I'm in the mood to continue strolling down memory lane
Spoiler

Edited by Thaya, 22 February 2013 - 12:18 AM.

#60 skylar1

skylar1
  • Junkies

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:29 AM

thaya, do you use spotify? if yes, share a playlist of these, or share your playlist:

EDM|TRANCE|BASS here's mine - mostly trance but a lot of edm and such.
WARBOUND BROSTORMS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<