#1 Thedream

Thedream
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Lightbringer
  • Whirlwind
  • Talents: Restoration 1/0/2/1/0/2

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:44 AM

Ok, so me and some maggot were having a discussion about how in the real world, victims should not be absolved from blame in every circumstance.  (Sorta how in any type of car accident case, blame is most likely not 100% on a single person).  I made the point that a person subject to a bad event that occurs, should not be absolved of blame just because they are the victim, and this is without taking into account how the person was put into the situation.

Example one:  A woman strips off her clothing and lays down on her back in the middle of a dangerous alley in a dangerous part of town.  A random stranger comes over and rapes her as she lays there.  

Obviously the rapist is at blame for committing this crime, but do you believe that the victim should be absolved of all blame just because she is a victim?  (keep in mind this is not meant to be a formal court case or anything I'm just trying to ask a logic question).  

Example two:  A homosexual boy in a school is hiding his sexual orientation from other schoolmates because they are inherently homophobic and violent towards homosexuals.  The boy has several options, go through high school hiding his homosexuality and attempt to exist without people recognizing his sexual orientation; he could try to exist as an open homosexual in the school and subject himself to abuse and torment; or he could try to change the way the school/world is and attack the problem head on.  

Do you think that if the boy chose to exist as an open homosexual or to change the way things work, that he should be absolved of all blame for his suffering? (again, keep in mind that this is a logical question, not one based on morality.  Please don't respond with "he shouldn't have to hide his sexuality, the world sucks!!!").  

Response in spoiler:

Spoiler

Posted Image

live.laugh.love

i am the law

#2 Breadstick

Breadstick
  • Moderators
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Arena Tournament 1
  • Coliseum 1
  • Talents: Affliction

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:51 AM

i'm the maggot in this discussion

todd confirmed for hating women and gay people
s a d b o y s

#3 Absoqt

Absoqt
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Burning Legion
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • Talents: Discipline 1/2/1/1/1/2
  • RBG: 1905

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:18 AM

Because they're victims.
Gooby pls

#4 Rilor

Rilor
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Darkspear
  • Cyclone
  • Talents: Holy
  • RBG: 2342
  • LocationStraya Cunt

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

You can't really blame people for being idiots, sad but true.
I'm the man.

#5 Anjinsan

Anjinsan
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Auchindoun
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Discipline 1/2/1/0/1/1
  • RBG: 2414

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

View PostThedream, on 02 February 2013 - 10:44 AM, said:

So in response to the two examples, the woman should have blame attributed to herself for putting herself into the situation, but this should not take away blame from the rapist, and in example two, the student should be able to realize (or ask for help to realize) that the situation he could potentially be putting himself into is one that should be avoided for his own safety.  

[/spoiler]

I've always been under the assumption that every man woman and child should be able to live free and to experience love and respect. To have human rights and to live in peace.
To lay blame on someone who is struggling with abuse in any form seems cruel. Are they not suffering enough?

Being a realist is all good and well but there is no need to be cruel, realising something does not mean you have to act upon it. You can chose to ignore it to lessen the suffering of others.

#6 treeqt

treeqt
  • Members

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

there is never a single victim
hope this helped

+rep
[04:20:00] Dan: Just bang her
[20:05:48] ALEXIS JAGGER: I'd like to think
[20:05:51] ALEXIS JAGGER: I'm a modest person

#7 stcolbert

stcolbert
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Eredar
  • Vindication

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

I don't believe that victims should always be emmune to blame but in the examples you gave they are 100% not at fault.  To even attempt to blame them for those outcomes really shows your degree of autism.  Please stop drinking bleach.
I'm always right.
Posted Image

#8 Kelustu

Kelustu
  • Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Rivendare
  • Emberstorm
  • Talents: Restoration

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

Sorry but he's right on the victim thing. You autistics are getting hung up on the word blame. He's trying to say that there is a degree of fault or stupidity on behalf of the victim in some of these cases. For example, you are a white person wearing an expensive suit, bluetooth earpiece on and knowingly walk into an extremely poor/violent neighborhood. You've now put yourself into a situation where a robbing is significantly more likely. No one else put you there in this scenario, you just chose a terrible path to walk home. Obviously, it's not your fault if somebody robs you, because I can already tell you idiots will get hung up on that. But it was still an absolutely moronic decision on your part to do such a thing.

Another one. You're at the bank. Someone robs it. You stand up, from across the room, attempt to stop four armed robbers without a weapon. They're going to shoot you and anyone with any common sense would not have done what you just did. Think of it this way. An action you caused, that was not logical to commit (unlike just getting stabbed by a crazy homeless person on your way to work) directly put you in harms way. The person made a conscious decision to walk into the face of danger and should take responsibility for the stupidity of the actions taken. Now, that's certainly not to say that he should be punished for the robbing, or that a girl should be punished for the raping, that's absurd, but the person should simply acknowledge that they made poor choices and would not make them again, instead of acting as though they did nothing wrong or nothing to put themselves into a situation where bad things can happen.
Posted Image

#9 Kawklee

Kawklee
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Lightning's Blade
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Retribution

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

"My right to punch you in the face stops at the point where your nose begins."

#10 AwesoMegAmazing

AwesoMegAmazing
  • Members
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

It's never right to do something wrong, even if someone makes it easy for you to do it. I'm not going to give someone partial blame for leaving their car unlocked and someone stealing their iPod. It should never have happened in the first place. They did nothing wrong.

View PostDuckers, on 09 February 2011 - 04:05 PM, said:

I eat McDonalds every day

View PostDuckers, on 12 June 2012 - 07:44 AM, said:

Can't ever really go wrong with McDonalds.

View PostDuckers, on 08 August 2012 - 12:25 AM, said:

Get that girl a Happy Meal and she will never leave you.

#11 Brian_Emo

Brian_Emo
  • Members

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

View Poststcolbert, on 02 February 2013 - 04:32 PM, said:

I don't believe that victims should always be emmune to blame but in the examples you gave they are 100% not at fault.  To even attempt to blame them for those outcomes really shows your degree of autism.  Please stop drinking bleach.

This sums it up pretty well. OP is just a rape apologist in disguise.

#12 Hobbeś

Hobbeś
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Tanaris
  • Nightfall
  • Talents: Unholy

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

wh at

#13 stcolbert

stcolbert
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Eredar
  • Vindication

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

View PostKelustu, on 02 February 2013 - 04:49 PM, said:

Sorry but he's right on the victim thing. You autistics are getting hung up on the word blame. He's trying to say that there is a degree of fault or stupidity on behalf of the victim in some of these cases. For example, you are a white person wearing an expensive suit, bluetooth earpiece on and knowingly walk into an extremely poor/violent neighborhood. You've now put yourself into a situation where a robbing is significantly more likely. No one else put you there in this scenario, you just chose a terrible path to walk home. Obviously, it's not your fault if somebody robs you, because I can already tell you idiots will get hung up on that. But it was still an absolutely moronic decision on your part to do such a thing.

Another one. You're at the bank. Someone robs it. You stand up, from across the room, attempt to stop four armed robbers without a weapon. They're going to shoot you and anyone with any common sense would not have done what you just did. Think of it this way. An action you caused, that was not logical to commit (unlike just getting stabbed by a crazy homeless person on your way to work) directly put you in harms way. The person made a conscious decision to walk into the face of danger and should take responsibility for the stupidity of the actions taken. Now, that's certainly not to say that he should be punished for the robbing, or that a girl should be punished for the raping, that's absurd, but the person should simply acknowledge that they made poor choices and would not make them again, instead of acting as though they did nothing wrong or nothing to put themselves into a situation where bad things can happen.
Probably because he was using the word blame not stupidity, they are not interchangeable, kelustu you fucking tard.

You are reinventing a completely different argument, you're an idiot.

The good old point comma insult, die maggot.
I'm always right.
Posted Image

#14 Jinngofagswag

Jinngofagswag
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Unholy 2/0/2/0/0/2
  • RBG: 2149

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

Op is fucking retarded..

#15 Slashgiggle

Slashgiggle
  • LocationHome of the Brave

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

A woman lays down in an alley

Lol Todd
Fernando Torres, Lord of Football

#16 Thedream

Thedream
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Lightbringer
  • Whirlwind
  • Talents: Restoration 1/0/2/1/0/2

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

View Poststcolbert, on 02 February 2013 - 04:32 PM, said:

you make a really solid argument, hard to dispute your statement.

??

Posted Image

live.laugh.love

i am the law

#17 Movementx

Movementx
  • Members

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:46 AM

Situationally you could blame the victims for thier choices and putting themselves in a situation where something unfortunate would happen, but who knows if the naked girl was roofied or given E and she thought that laying on the ground naked was an ok idea, or the gay boy having his therapist tell him that he should come out and embrace his sexuality and people will embrace him. Its easier to not blame the victim because we will never know the whole story.

#18 Reliuna

Reliuna
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Naxxramas
  • Sturmangriff / Charge
  • Talents: Balance
  • LocationSweden

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:28 AM

View PostSlashgiggle, on 02 February 2013 - 07:37 PM, said:

A woman lays down in an alley

Lol Todd

Lol Todd

is Todd even a real name?
Posted Image

#19 Sykeasaurus

Sykeasaurus
  • Moderators
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Shadow

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:31 AM

can you please stop

bk said:

I used to beat off alot, and fail all my classes

Insight said:

I figured he's a phony but I was secretly hoping to get pounded by someone famous.

View PostTw1zle, on 07 August 2011 - 11:05 PM, said:

i wasnt aware that america was a country

i guess we learn things every day

#20 Reliuna

Reliuna
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Naxxramas
  • Sturmangriff / Charge
  • Talents: Balance
  • LocationSweden

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:33 AM