Windwalk
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Burning Blade
  • Vindication
  • Talents:

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

i wouldn't get an ssd

from what ive heard they slow down over time, though I'm not sure about the physics behind that.  they also don't affect anything that normal people give a shit about (load times, boot time) and they're more expensive and have less space on them.

im sure in 10 years or something everyone will be using them but i don't think it's advantageous for most people right now

When I talk to or see successful gamers they come off as intelligent people who are able to develop the ever important “game sense” with relative ease. Aside from muscle memory and the mechanics of playing a video game they seem to just understand what needs to be done to compete and outthink their opponents.

#24 Windwalk

Windwalk
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Burning Blade
  • Vindication
  • Talents:

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

if u need help or something ask protag, he built a computer fairly recently.  from what i gather it's fucking easy but still if u got questions about the process im sure he'd help you out

When I talk to or see successful gamers they come off as intelligent people who are able to develop the ever important “game sense” with relative ease. Aside from muscle memory and the mechanics of playing a video game they seem to just understand what needs to be done to compete and outthink their opponents.

#25 Windwalk

Windwalk
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Burning Blade
  • Vindication
  • Talents:

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

dont ask ragequit he set his motherboard on fire or somethign

#26 Nordmo

Nordmo
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-The Maelstrom
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Affliction
  • RBG: 192

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

2 words post is what ruined rr

#27 Ragequit

Ragequit
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Firetree
  • Reckoning
  • Talents: Arms
  • RBG: 575

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:52 AM

View PostWindwalk, on 24 January 2013 - 05:44 PM, said:

dont ask ragequit he set his motherboard on fire or somethign
there literally was a flame in my computer

#28 Pharaun

Pharaun
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:14 AM

SSDs are nice if you do a lot of stuff that's I/O bound.  If you're playing video games, probably not worth it.  It is an incredible improvement if you do anything I/O related.
"Who, after all, is today speaking of the destruction of the Armenians?"

-Adolf Hitler, 1939

#29 Xewl

Xewl
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Frostmourne
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Restoration
  • LocationQueensland

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:00 AM

View PostWindwalk, on 24 January 2013 - 05:42 PM, said:

i wouldn't get an ssd

from what ive heard they slow down over time, though I'm not sure about the physics behind that.  they also don't affect anything that normal people give a shit about (load times, boot time) and they're more expensive and have less space on them.

im sure in 10 years or something everyone will be using them but i don't think it's advantageous for most people right now

Didn't actually know this, read up an article and apparently it's because after writing over the same blocks multiple times it gradually gets worse and worse.

I think if it was just a games drive, and you never deleted anything off it, it would be badass that is the best way to use them right now and it won't shorten the lifespan, random things like defraging ( windows 7 does this by default after no actions for a few minutes ) will kill it fast.

Changes my opinion on SSD completely but that doesn't mean sata drives are that amazing either.

#30 Jewpaci

Jewpaci
  • Junkies

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

View PostPharaun, on 25 January 2013 - 07:14 AM, said:

SSDs are nice if you do a lot of stuff that's I/O bound.  If you're playing video games, probably not worth it.  It is an incredible improvement if you do anything I/O related.

Yeah but how will it affect stuff that's I/O bound

#31 Jewpaci

Jewpaci
  • Junkies

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

View PostXewl, on 25 January 2013 - 09:00 AM, said:

Didn't actually know this, read up an article and apparently it's because after writing over the same blocks multiple times it gradually gets worse and worse.

Damn it sounds like you've cracked the physics

#32 Xewl

Xewl
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Frostmourne
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Restoration
  • LocationQueensland

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

View PostJewpaci, on 25 January 2013 - 10:59 AM, said:

Damn it sounds like you've cracked the physics

No need to be jealous of my supreme intellect bro.

#33 Pharaun

Pharaun
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:06 AM

View PostJewpaci, on 25 January 2013 - 10:58 AM, said:

Yeah but how will it affect stuff that's I/O bound
It makes it 100-1000x faster?  SSD access time is orders of magnitude faster than HDD, and read bandwidth is also orders of magnitude higher.  It's an insane improvement.  Disk has not been getting much faster for decades, while CPU, cache, and to a lesser extent memory have all been speeding up a lot.  That means that if you do anything I/O bound, you essentially have to wait for infinity from the CPU's perspective.

Time scale, in CPU clocks (off by a factor of 2 or 4 or w/e):

1 CPU clock
1 register access
1-2 L1 cache
8+ other cache
60+ DRAM access
15000000+ HDD access
100000000+ network access (varies a lot)

That last jump really fucks up programs if you have to read from disk a lot.  So if you're doing heavy duty video or audio editing, compiling a lot of code, or really doing anything that has to read shit from disk, it's WAYY nicer to use an SSD, because you get this instead:

1 CPU clock
1 register access
1-2 L1 cache
8+ other cache
60+ DRAM access
65000 SSD access
15000000+ HDD access
100000000+ network access (varies a lot)

So instead of having to wait for 15 million cycles for shit to come back, you only have to wait for 65 thousand.

In real terms, that means instead of having to wait for your video editing program to read & write shit from disk, it's just there already.

But that's a big if, because when your only I/O bound operations are "start my computer" and "load game X", then that's not saving you a lot of time.
"Who, after all, is today speaking of the destruction of the Armenians?"

-Adolf Hitler, 1939

#34 Shadowfriend

Shadowfriend
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tortheldrin
  • Emberstorm
  • Talents: Assassination

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:18 AM

oi m8s

so i used my laptop's old hdd to install windows 8 to my new hdd, but now the computer doesn't boot at all unless the old hdd is connected

what do

Official Blizzard Quote:

shadowfriend i bet ur shadow is the only friend u knows o i hope the sun comes to tomorrow and do u dred nights 4 there is shadow o bet u get lonely at 10pm BOO

#35 Pirated

Pirated
  • Members
  • Trollclass_name
  • US-Burning Blade
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Enhancement

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:26 AM

View PostShadowfriend, on 03 February 2013 - 04:18 AM, said:

so i used my laptop's old hdd to install windows 8 to my new hdd
what exactly did you do?

also, you said it won't boot -- what happens when you turn on the power? even without a hard drive installed, you should get a splash screen based on your motherboard
"i have literally never, to my recollection, overestimated myself"
-Buddhist

#36 Arete

Arete
  • Members

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:02 AM

pirated has it. lack of splash screen is often an early indicator of kernel pixel corruption. uncommon at the raster level for sure, but there are some things john mcafee can't protect you from.

#37 Shadowfriend

Shadowfriend
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tortheldrin
  • Emberstorm

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:49 AM

i mean it doesn't recognize the hard drive that has windows 8 installed to it and won't start the os from it
i had the windows 8 iso on my windows 7 laptop's hard drive and i installed windows 8 to the new computer's hard drive that way because my external wasn't working

Official Blizzard Quote:

shadowfriend i bet ur shadow is the only friend u knows o i hope the sun comes to tomorrow and do u dred nights 4 there is shadow o bet u get lonely at 10pm BOO

#38 faction

faction
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Shadow

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

i dunno when sometrhing like that happens i generally just pace aorund in a circle, punchthe wall etc then goto the house of someone i havnt spoken to in 5 years and use their computer to order new parts/entire new pc
Posted Image

#39 Pirated

Pirated
  • Members
  • Trollclass_name
  • US-Burning Blade
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Enhancement

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

I'd try installing from a disc drive
"i have literally never, to my recollection, overestimated myself"
-Buddhist

#40 Shadowfriend

Shadowfriend
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tortheldrin
  • Emberstorm

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

i don't have an optical drive

worst case scenario is just having to keep the laptop's hdd in there just to make windows 8 boot and be additional storage i guess

Official Blizzard Quote:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<