5.2 Warlock changes

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#21 Tya

Tya
  • Junkies
  • Curse Premium

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

Might also be getting Blood Pact baked into either a passive aura or part of DI. Pretty decent for 2v2 and 3v3. Nothing massive, but it'll certainly help.
<Memorable quote>

#22 Nycto

Nycto
  • Junkies

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

I don't think it will help at all, di is dispelled instantly vs almost every setup you face.

#23 zajklon

zajklon
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Bronzebeard
  • Reckoning / Abrechnung
  • Talents: Destruction 1/0/1/2/2/1

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

Demonic Circle: Teleport now correctly shares the same cooldown when in Metamorphosis.:(

#24 brosearch

brosearch
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents:
  • RBG: 2269

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

View Postzajklon, on 17 January 2013 - 04:45 PM, said:

Demonic Circle: Teleport now correctly shares the same cooldown when in Metamorphosis. :(
great change. anything that nerfs demo is perfect. its the more retarded spec possible and the fact that its our best spec is just disgusting.

#25 Thugonomics8

Thugonomics8
  • Junkies
  • Goblinclass_name
  • US-Illidan
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Affliction

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:09 AM

View Postbrosearch, on 17 January 2013 - 04:50 PM, said:

great change. anything that nerfs demo is perfect. its the more retarded spec possible and the fact that its our best spec is just disgusting.
Too bad our best spec is still garbage
Posted Image

#26 Filthpig

Filthpig
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Enhancement 0/2/0/1/1/2
  • 2v2: 1605
  • 3v3: 2448
  • 5v5: 288
  • RBG: 1945

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:29 AM

Dude your boner is so shiny.

I think they still have a little work left on Affliction, they already mentioned more buffs to pets and stuff. I feel like we REALLY need some more survivability tune ups with monks and rogues coming into the show next patch. Two more viable melee classes means a million more cleave varieties :/

#27 fearlol

fearlol
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Destruction 0/1/2/0/2/2
  • RBG: 1531

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:05 AM

i never liked demo anyways :ph34r:

#28 duskfallx

duskfallx
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Demonology 0/1/1/2/0/1
  • RBG: 2363
  • LocationPoland

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:19 AM

The survability changes are good, the UA dmg and glyph change is also nice, but it's not going to change anything, the main problem remains unchanged. Warlock single damage is still going to be pathetic and easily stopped. The way the game works right now negates us from playing competitively and most importantly, have fun while playing. We can't make difference in games, we can only get carried by the classes in our team and rely on them to do things for us, while we just wait for Dark Soul to come back up. Healing in the game is too strong and our damage is too low, while too easily applied. Blizzard would have to redesign the class to fix this, which isn't going to happen. Our damage over time needs to be higher. Removing Soul Swap, increasing DoT and nerfing Dark Soul (obviously if DoT would be increased Dark Soul would be overpowered) would make us way more useful, while keeping the class fairly balanced. Sadly, never going to happen. If you believe locks are going to be fun to play like in Wotlk/Cata, you're going to be disappointed.
The changes are nice, but the main problem is still there. Blizzard ruined Affliction spec this expansion and it won't be fixed because of PvE.

#29 brosearch

brosearch
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents:
  • RBG: 2269

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

View Postduskfallx, on 18 January 2013 - 05:19 AM, said:

The survability changes are good, the UA dmg and glyph change is also nice, but it's not going to change anything, the main problem remains unchanged. Warlock single damage is still going to be pathetic and easily stopped. The way the game works right now negates us from playing competitively and most importantly, have fun while playing. We can't make difference in games, we can only get carried by the classes in our team and rely on them to do things for us, while we just wait for Dark Soul to come back up. Healing in the game is too strong and our damage is too low, while too easily applied. Blizzard would have to redesign the class to fix this, which isn't going to happen. Our damage over time needs to be higher. Removing Soul Swap, increasing DoT and nerfing Dark Soul (obviously if DoT would be increased Dark Soul would be overpowered) would make us way more useful, while keeping the class fairly balanced. Sadly, never going to happen. If you believe locks are going to be fun to play like in Wotlk/Cata, you're going to be disappointed.
The changes are nice, but the main problem is still there. Blizzard ruined Affliction spec this expansion and it won't be fixed because of PvE.

What you say is absolutely true. However I disagree that afflic will be forever screwed in mop. The 2 main issues we have are meaningful dmg from dots outside of DS, and defense. They can easily (as my original post suggested) transfer some dps from MG dot ticks and/or grim of sac into the dots themselves and still keep the same pve dps (if they did this I would hope they make soulburn applied dots only hit for about 50% of their normal dmg). OR as others have suggested, they can simply increase the pvp power coefficients for the dots themselves. They are doing that for hybrid heals, why cant they do that for our dots?

They key thing I would point out about warlocks in cata was our damage. Our dot and/or overall damage wasnt in any way overpowered. However, it was indeed meaningful. If we off dotted a target, it actually took away more then 10% of their hp after all those dots ticked. In addition, if we applied haunt and used drain life with a pet attacking, the single target damage was decent. This is the niche that afflic has fullfilled for many seasons now. This kind of niche must be returned and its absolutely possible to do so.

There are 2 options for afflic:
1. We do good spread pressure, have moderate single target damage, and have good tanking defense.
2. We do great single target damage, have low amounts of spread pressure, and have low tanking defense.

So this spec, or any spec really, needs to either be centered around focusing its damage into 1 target, or many. If you attack many, you must have some tanking type defenses to allow for that to happen. Right now we have terrible single target damage (during DS with haunt it is good), terrible spread pressure, and terrible defense. This just isnt acceptable.

It can be done, and it doesnt have to affect pve.

#30 Nadagast

Nadagast
  • Moderators
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Affliction 0/2/0/2/0/0
  • 2v2: 1878
  • 3v3: 2779

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:54 AM

I think the problem, Brodizzle, is that the numbers are so far off, and the SB:SS mechanic seems so entrenched, that there is no real chance of Affliction's fundamental problems being fixed this expansion.

The only real way I see it happening is if they removed SB:SS and in exchange gave us extra DoT damage from PvP power.  But I think that is unlikely.  Even then, if DoTs did higher damage, our damage during Dark Soul would be pretty insane.  Dark Soul would definitely need a nerf.

#31 Filthpig

Filthpig
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Enhancement 0/2/0/1/1/2
  • 2v2: 1605
  • 3v3: 2448
  • 5v5: 288
  • RBG: 1945

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

I think what we need to fix damage problems is:

Remove shard cost from haunt, the fact that this takes a resource when it's been a core ability forever now is absurd. This contributes to entirely too much of our damage. (Doubt they would change this unless they put it as a 4pc due to the fun factor in pve)

I think we need more options with our soul burns personally. Something fun like SB: Unstable Affliction: your UA now makes your dots undispelable for its original duration (duration not extended by fel flaming the dot) or the ability to detonate our UA's kinda like spriest's insanity would be a really nice way to give us a little bit of burst.

SB:SS is just ridiculous in my opinion because it takes out all of the skill and fun of playing UA.

#32 hertzuk

hertzuk
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Affliction
  • RBG: 2615
  • LocationUK

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

I'd happily take back the exact playstyle of Affly in Cata or even LK with no soul swap at all.

Give haunt a short CD back, ~8 seconds or whatever so the debuff is always up in pve, and make it not cost a shard.

Remove SB:SS and potentially make SB make haunt instant instead.

Make shards regen faster in general (after making haunt non-spammable, and SB:SS non-existent). So they're used mainly for pets/utility (increased healing on HS/DrainLife/Coil or w/e). Or keep a shitty regen rate and use them for more powerful things, that aren't SB:SS...

Increase standard dot damage, make it so Dark Soul doesn't effect Malefic Grasp or something so you can't do stupid burst with Dark Soul, but instead use the haste to get dots up on all targets (as you now need to cast them).

Basically, Cata but with decent single target DoT damage through Malefic Grasp. (and marginally less AoE pressure through balancing basic dot damage).

Posted Image

#33 Protosnake

Protosnake
  • Junkies
  • Trollclass_name
  • EU-Archimonde
  • Cataclysme / Cataclysm
  • Talents: Destruction 1/1/2/1/2/1
  • RBG: 2172

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:26 AM

I dont feel like pressure is the problem, most issues we have here are fixed in 5.2, survivability and being too reliant on cast

But god damnit if we have to hardcast our fear again and they dont fix the 30sec tremor we're gonna have a problem

#34 duskfallx

duskfallx
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Demonology 0/1/1/2/0/1
  • RBG: 2363
  • LocationPoland

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:07 AM

View PostProtosnake, on 20 January 2013 - 04:26 AM, said:

I dont feel like pressure is the problem, most issues we have here are fixed in 5.2, survivability and being too reliant on cast

But god damnit if we have to hardcast our fear again and they dont fix the 30sec tremor we're gonna have a problem
Pressure IS a problem, You just don't see it because you either rely on scoreboard or look at the damage during Dark Soul. Honestly, warlocks are completely useless outside of Dark Soul. It's Dark Soul and Blood Fear making us work right now on the offensive part of the game. Nothing else. On the deffensive part of the game, we're BAD right now, but it's getting fixed, but nothing is gonna compensate our laughable DoT damage numbers. Soul Swap HAS to be removed, DoT damage has to be increased for locks to be fun and viable again. There's no other solution. Any other way of fixing the class would make it overpowered, because of the fact how easily DoTs can be applied. Only reason we're not overpowered is DoTs don't do anything right now outside of Dark Soul.

#35 majorblood

majorblood
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Korgath
  • Vengeance
  • Talents: Shadow 1/2/1/2/2/1
  • RBG: 2202

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:27 PM

http://blue.mmo-cham...t-bonus-issues/

Warlock
- Blood Fear is now Blood Horror and is a 4 sec horror effect instead of a fear. It otherwise works as it does on the PTR.

still useless

Edited by majorblood, 30 January 2013 - 10:31 PM.

#36 Nycto

Nycto
  • Junkies

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

View Postmajorblood, on 30 January 2013 - 10:27 PM, said:

http://blue.mmo-cham...t-bonus-issues/

Warlock
- Blood Fear is now Blood Horror and is a 4 sec horror effect instead of a fear. It otherwise works as it does on the PTR.

still useless
Wow that is bad...lol

#37 Nadagast

Nadagast
  • Moderators
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • 2v2: 1878
  • 3v3: 2779

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

Is it still useless?  I could see it being alright.  It'd be nice if it only triggered on players (not pets) and also triggered on harmful spell casts.

Edited by Nadagast, 31 January 2013 - 10:23 PM.

#38 Thasta

Thasta
  • Junkies
  • Trollclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • 2v2: 1646
  • 3v3: 2493

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

I think the new blood fear will be far from useless, even if it does trigger from pets. I wouldn't even mind if a BM hunter pet gets peeled for 4+ seconds considering they can crit for over 90k. You will have to be smart and time it well against warlock and death knight teams, but I think it will by far be the best talent in the tier against any melee team. It has a 30 second cooldown and lasts 1 minute, so you can apply it before the arena starts and as soon as anything touches you they're instantly horrored. Rogues and ferals will be peeled as soon as they open on you and warriors will be peeled during the charge stun. Seems good to me.

Edited by Thasta, 31 January 2013 - 10:48 PM.

#39 Dotaphd

Dotaphd
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Antonidas
  • Emberstorm
  • Talents: Destruction 0/1/2/2/2/1
  • RBG: 2409

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:33 PM

View PostThasta, on 31 January 2013 - 10:44 PM, said:

I think the new blood fear will be far from useless, even if it does trigger from pets. I wouldn't even mind if a BM hunter pet gets peeled for 4+ seconds considering they can crit for over 90k. You will have to be smart and time it well against warlock and death knight teams, but I think it will by far be the best talent in the tier against any melee team. It has a 30 second cooldown and lasts 1 minute, so you can apply it before the arena starts and as soon as anything touches you they're instantly horrored. Rogues and ferals will be peeled as soon as they open on you and warriors will be peeled during the charge stun. Seems good to me.

Agreed

#40 Wallirik

Wallirik
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Ravencrest
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • 2v2: 2567
  • 3v3: 3226
  • 5v5: 2495
  • RBG: 2592

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:16 AM

So it doesn't replace normal fear anymore?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<