Getting better with a PvP Mindset

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Carnash

Carnash
  • Members

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:12 AM

So, I had a couple of questions, and I figured this is the best place to ask them.

I use to be a decent PvE'r, not the best, not the worst. I was average in a US 250 guild, but I quit raiding due to the lack of "feeling of accomplishment" if you will. Now I am trying to switch into PvP, which I find quite more enjoyable, but I am running into quite a few problems with this side of the game I am now experiencing. I always did casual BG's, and some arena's for points, but not much else. Now I am interested in becoming at least a 2k+ player, but the dilemma's are as follows:

I find myself not knowing what to do in some situations. I don't know all classes inside and out, but I thought I knew at least the basics of them. Turns out I was wrong. I find myself having trouble surviving as classes with no full self-healing abilities. Or I find myself panicking and accidentally used the wrong spell, and messed up any chance at a victory. How can I overcome this panicking? I find myself doing it more in PvP then I ever did at PvE.

Whenever I find myself doing arena's, I always have to ask the guy if he could tell me who to target. I understand the concept and action of quick-switching, and can execute it with moderate ease, but I have no idea who/what the main priority is, or when to switch, onto who, for how long, etc. How can I expand my knowledge with these situations so I don't feel as if I'm burdening my team?

Another problem I have is I find myself not using my class to the best of it's abilities. I'm use to PvE where you only need to use certain spells/attacks to do good. Now I find myself with almost every skill my class has on my actionbar. For an example, I commonly find myself not using spellsteal and polymorph on my mage. What should I do to use all my spells to the best of their abilities?

If it helps at all. I currently play a DK, Mage, and currently leveling a Shaman and Warlock, with possibility of a Paladin/Warrior in the future.

I guess this basically comes down to "How do I stop sucking, and get good at PvP"

Any help is appreciated. Thank you for your time!

#2 Snipin

Snipin
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Tichondrius
  • Bloodlust
  • Talents: Marksmanship 1/0/0/0/1/1

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

View PostCarnash, on 07 January 2013 - 07:12 AM, said:

So, I had a couple of questions, and I figured this is the best place to ask them.

I use to be a decent PvE'r, not the best, not the worst. I was average in a US 250 guild, but I quit raiding due to the lack of "feeling of accomplishment" if you will. Now I am trying to switch into PvP, which I find quite more enjoyable, but I am running into quite a few problems with this side of the game I am now experiencing. I always did casual BG's, and some arena's for points, but not much else. Now I am interested in becoming at least a 2k+ player, but the dilemma's are as follows:

I find myself not knowing what to do in some situations. I don't know all classes inside and out, but I thought I knew at least the basics of them. Turns out I was wrong. I find myself having trouble surviving as classes with no full self-healing abilities. Or I find myself panicking and accidentally used the wrong spell, and messed up any chance at a victory. How can I overcome this panicking? I find myself doing it more in PvP then I ever did at PvE.

What you are describing here is due to lack of experience and knowledge of the classes. If you want to learn about the other classes, the best place to start would be, aside from playing of course, checking out the specs people are using. The way the talent system is setup, you can basically see most of the 'cooldowns' that spec will have at their disposal. Learn what abilities certain classes will use to counter you, and figure out how you are going to counter them, whether it's stunning starfall, or charging a blink.

Whenever I find myself doing arena's, I always have to ask the guy if he could tell me who to target. I understand the concept and action of quick-switching, and can execute it with moderate ease, but I have no idea who/what the main priority is, or when to switch, onto who, for how long, etc. How can I expand my knowledge with these situations so I don't feel as if I'm burdening my team?

Knowing who to target, as everything else in PvP, will come with experience. Positioning and cooldowns plays a huge factor. A DK AMS'd offensively to tunnel your mage and ended up across the map? Switch. The Spriest you are on is LoSing your big cooldowns? Switch. If you feel a class is getting casts off that you cant afford to let happen, switch.

Another problem I have is I find myself not using my class to the best of it's abilities. I'm use to PvE where you only need to use certain spells/attacks to do good. Now I find myself with almost every skill my class has on my actionbar. For an example, I commonly find myself not using spellsteal and polymorph on my mage. What should I do to use all my spells to the best of their abilities?

It's a good thing that you have everything bound, you may fumble your keys every once and a while, but eventually you will get them down. Knowing when to use certain abilities goes back to what I said earlier about countering abilities with other abilities. Spam sheep on a warrior with CDs up, clean off a targets 'trash buffs' so when something important is up you can quickly dispell it.

If it helps at all. I currently play a DK, Mage, and currently leveling a Shaman and Warlock, with possibility of a Paladin/Warrior in the future.

I would suggest sticking to one or two classes. It allows you to focus on that class and master it. Especially since you are still trying to learn how everything works in PvP, you don't need your own class getting in the way of that. Play your mage.

I guess this basically comes down to "How do I stop sucking, and get good at PvP"

Any help is appreciated. Thank you for your time!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<