• EU-Defias Brotherhood
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Elemental 0/1/1/0/0/2
  • 2v2: 1441
  • 3v3: 1315
  • RBG: 192
  • LocationEngland

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

Looking for some pointers to help me get more consistent with my arena 1/2/3 interupts/awareness. Since I changing over to default UI and started using arena 1/2/3 shock macros I feel my interupting / grounding has got worse. This isnt a problem though I dont mind it going worse if it gets better in the long run.

So I am looking for some suggestions to help me improve my awareness of arena 1/2/3 casts possibly by UI or by some other tips

Posted Image

Is it even possible to improve this kind of awareness or is it something you simple have or dont have??

• Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Twisting Nether
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Unholy 2/0/2/0/0/2
  • RBG: 1866

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:53 PM

You can't really improve it by changing the UI. Though you should of course have the frames in a position where you feel comfortable glancing over to them every now and then.

The only way to get better at it is by playing a lot and forcing yourself to look at the frames more often. Eventually it'll become a routine if you practice long enough.
Posted Image

#3 FTRouslan

FTRouslan
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Maiev
  • Whirlwind
  • Talents: Frost
  • RBG: 1141

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:29 PM

You just need to learn to "touch-type" your abilities. Once you have that down, your awareness will significantly improve. Just don't tunnel, and learn what you need to watch for.

If you need any clarification, tell me. I'd be happy helping you get to "that level" which I describe.
Nasty, brutish, and about 6'1".

#4 Twocat

Twocat
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Illidan
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Enhancement

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:49 AM

View Postnoobie25, on 02 January 2013 - 10:53 PM, said:

You can't really improve it by changing the UI. Though you should of course have the frames in a position where you feel comfortable glancing over to them every now and then.

I disagree, the default arena frame location is awful.
You should have more important things closer to the center of the screen so you notice them without having to look at other parts of the screen. e.g, interrupt tracking(if you use it,) arena frames, unit frames/target, and cooldowns on important abilities
especially if you have a larger monitor, in TBC I used to use an old CRT monitor where I had my healthbar/target in the default position, when I got a 23.5" monitor I had to move them more towards the center
Posted Image

#5 Synkz

Synkz
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Blood Furnace
  • Retaliation
  • Talents: Destruction 0/2/0/0/2/.

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:03 AM

The best way to improve your arena frames awareness is to literally force yourself to constantly look at the frames.  Go into each game thinking ONLY about constantly monitoring your arena frames.  You'll probably have some rough games doing this, but it will make them feel much more natural in the long run.

Also, I think the UI in the screenshot you linked is perfect.  Practically the same positions I had my frames in.

Edited by Synkz, 03 January 2013 - 01:06 AM.

#6 ardnut

ardnut
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents:
  • RBG: 1743

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

I agree the positioning looks good...just going to take a lot of time practicing to get used to the position of things and the keybinds.  Good job you have an understanding team mate that doesn't mind u sucking!!! ;)
* RBG/PvP Guild * Stormscale EU * Recruitment Thread * Click Below *
Posted Image

#7 ardnut

ardnut
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents:

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

One thing I might say is...that you think you lack space for buttons on your bars... you could get some macros to free up the spaces... you seem to have 5 of the same of one button, 4 of another and 3 of another.
Posted Image

• Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Twisting Nether
  • Rampage / Saccage

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

View PostFTRouslan, on 02 January 2013 - 11:29 PM, said:

"touch-type"

I would like to know what you mean by that. :)

View Postardnut, on 03 January 2013 - 12:00 PM, said:

One thing I might say is...that you think you lack space for buttons on your bars... you could get some macros to free up the spaces... you seem to have 5 of the same of one button, 4 of another and 3 of another.

One thing I've noticed myself is that 5 action bars tends to be too little of an amount of buttons to put all spells you'd need on. I use bartender to solve this problem though, fairly simple. Just add a bar, maybe two if you have a lot of keybinds (though I don't think you'll need more than 6, seeing as I have enough room on my Unholy DK with that amount of bars).
Posted Image

#9 gangstalicious

gangstalicious
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Spirestone
  • Reckoning
  • Talents: Destruction

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

View Postnoobie25, on 03 January 2013 - 12:03 PM, said:

I would like to know what you mean by that. :)

One thing I've noticed myself is that 5 action bars tends to be too little of an amount of buttons to put all spells you'd need on. I use bartender to solve this problem though, fairly simple. Just add a bar, maybe two if you have a lot of keybinds (though I don't think you'll need more than 6, seeing as I have enough room on my Unholy DK with that amount of bars).

he ment if u have for example 5 wind shear macros u can macro it to one macro so all u see is the CD instead of seeing it 5x

Edited by gangstalicious, 03 January 2013 - 12:54 PM.

#10 Amiza

Amiza
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Defias Brotherhood
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • LocationEngland

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

View PostTwocat, on 03 January 2013 - 12:49 AM, said:

I disagree, the default arena frame location is awful.
You should have more important things closer to the center of the screen so you notice them without having to look at other parts of the screen. e.g, interrupt tracking(if you use it,) arena frames, unit frames/target, and cooldowns on important abilities
especially if you have a larger monitor, in TBC I used to use an old CRT monitor where I had my healthbar/target in the default position, when I got a 23.5" monitor I had to move them more towards the center

Yeah I do try and move things close to the middle as I am playing on a 24" screen. I have Afflicted Setup to show icon and timer to the top right of my orc

View PostSynkz, on 03 January 2013 - 01:03 AM, said:

The best way to improve your arena frames awareness is to literally force yourself to constantly look at the frames.  Go into each game thinking ONLY about constantly monitoring your arena frames.  You'll probably have some rough games doing this, but it will make them feel much more natural in the long run.

Also, I think the UI in the screenshot you linked is perfect.  Practically the same positions I had my frames in.

Yeah I have been doing something similar every-time I get shear off cd try to focus on the arena frames more.

Is still hard work though, had the odd game where I shocked the wrong target. Got Arena1/2/3 binded to CTRL+Mousewheel Up/Down and CTRL Mousebutton 4

View Postardnut, on 03 January 2013 - 11:59 AM, said:

I agree the positioning looks good...just going to take a lot of time practicing to get used to the position of things and the keybinds.  Good job you have an understanding team mate that doesn't mind u sucking!!! ;)

LoL You owe me any way for sticking with you during s11 :D

View Postardnut, on 03 January 2013 - 12:00 PM, said:

Yeh would be nice make me the following macros please for 1 space :D

#Shear Macro
(Bind: F) Shear Normal
(Bind: Shift+F) Focus
(Bind: Ctrl+MWU) Arena 1
(Bind: Ctrl+MWD) Arena 2
(Bind: Ctrl+MB4) Arena 3

#Dispel Macro
(Bind: Shift+MB4) Dispel Self
(Bind: Shift+MWU) Dispel Party 1
(Bind: Shift+MWD) Dispel Party 2
(Bind: R) Purge/Dispel Macro
(Bind: Shift+R) Focus Purge

#Target
(Bind: MWU) Target Arena 1
(Bind: MWD) Target Arena 2
(Bind: MB4) Target Self

With regards to using Bartender, I dont want to use addons unless there is no other alternative.

Atm just using Afflicted, Sarena and Gladiatorlosa (Still unsure about this just like it for hearing cds like reck being popped etc)

#11 gangstalicious

gangstalicious
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Spirestone
  • Reckoning

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

View PostAmiza, on 03 January 2013 - 01:13 PM, said:

Yeah I do try and move things close to the middle as I am playing on a 24" screen. I have Afflicted Setup to show icon and timer to the top right of my orc

Yeah I have been doing something similar every-time I get shear off cd try to focus on the arena frames more.

Is still hard work though, had the odd game where I shocked the wrong target. Got Arena1/2/3 binded to CTRL+Mousewheel Up/Down and CTRL Mousebutton 4

LoL You owe me any way for sticking with you during s11 :D

#Shear Macro

#Dispel Macro

#Target

With regards to using Bartender, I dont want to use addons unless there is no other alternative.

Atm just using Afflicted, Sarena and Gladiatorlosa (Still unsure about this just like it for hearing cds like reck being popped etc)

unless u plan on playing in tournaments I see no reason to avoid addons specifically ones like bartender that ONLY help

#12 YndigoDS

YndigoDS
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Frostmane
  • Misery
  • Talents:
  • RBG: 960

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

View Postgangstalicious, on 03 January 2013 - 01:21 PM, said:

unless u plan on playing in tournaments I see no reason to avoid addons specifically ones like bartender that ONLY help

personal preference probably, i dont rly use addons either because i play alot on different computers, internet cafes and at friends house etc
Posted Image

• Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Twisting Nether
  • Rampage / Saccage

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

View PostAmiza, on 03 January 2013 - 01:13 PM, said:

#Shear Macro

#Dispel Macro

#Target

I don't think you can macro different keybindings into 1 macro, but if it's possible I'm sure there's a command for it somewhere.

Generic macro for multiple spells on 1 bind would be

#showtooltip
/cast [nomod] Wind Shear
/cast [mod:shift, target=arena1] Wind Shear
/cast [mod:ctrl, target=arena2] Wind Shear
/cast [mod:alt, target=arena3] Wind Shear

Put that on your F-keybind and you'll be able to use all of those targetting options with 1 button instead of 4

I don't know about different bindings, but if it even exists, it would probably look like this:

#showtooltip
/cast [keybind=f, nomod] Wind Shear
/cast [keybind=g, mod:shift, target=arena1] Wind Shear

etc. I doubt it'll work though.

Edit: I'll test on live for you.

Editedit: ''Keybind=[]'' is not an existing macro option. Neither is ''bind=[]''. I don't think an option like that exists.

PS: I wish I had teammates like you two lol, people that don't play for one day and then leave.
Posted Image

#14 ardnut

ardnut
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents:

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

I don't think we will ever play tournaments... but I think the reason he doesn't want to use addons is because he was getting a lot of errors and couldn't switch talents in the waiting room because of them.  Which is very annoying.
Posted Image

• Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Twisting Nether
  • Rampage / Saccage

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

View Postardnut, on 03 January 2013 - 02:47 PM, said:

I don't think we will ever play tournaments... but I think the reason he doesn't want to use addons is because he was getting a lot of errors and couldn't switch talents in the waiting room because of them.  Which is very annoying.

Try this: when you log onto WoW, type /reload ui . You should have no issues with respeccing after that.
Posted Image

#16 gangstalicious

gangstalicious
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Spirestone
  • Reckoning

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

View Postardnut, on 03 January 2013 - 02:47 PM, said:

the problem with addons is people tend to go overboard with it and get like 50 addons for everything and when one gets a bug everything goes wrong

#17 Amiza

Amiza
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Defias Brotherhood
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • LocationEngland

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:40 PM

I dont really have issues with using addons just as Ardnut said dont like the fact that they are causing errors plus dont want to get into habbit of relaying on a specific addon which might not get updated. That and I am going to next Blizzcon :D

Take bartender for example I really dont need it because I have space to bind every spell I need, Only thing I am missing is a macro to mark team before game, which I can by macroing 2 spells to one slot.

View Postnoobie25, on 03 January 2013 - 02:38 PM, said:

I don't think you can macro different keybindings into 1 macro, but if it's possible I'm sure there's a command for it somewhere.

Generic macro for multiple spells on 1 bind would be

#showtooltip
/cast [nomod] Wind Shear
/cast [mod:shift, target=arena1] Wind Shear
/cast [mod:ctrl, target=arena2] Wind Shear
/cast [mod:alt, target=arena3] Wind Shear

Put that on your F-keybind and you'll be able to use all of those targetting options with 1 button instead of 4

I don't know about different bindings, but if it even exists, it would probably look like this:

#showtooltip
/cast [keybind=f, nomod] Wind Shear
/cast [keybind=g, mod:shift, target=arena1] Wind Shear

etc. I doubt it'll work though.

Edit: I'll test on live for you.

Editedit: ''Keybind=[]'' is not an existing macro option. Neither is ''bind=[]''. I don't think an option like that exists.

PS: I wish I had teammates like you two lol, people that don't play for one day and then leave.

I dont really fancy changing my binds to 3 different mods for shear i will just stay as i am. I can macro normal shear and focus shear together and free up the 1 space i need for team marking.

Roll a char on stormscale and we will do some games with you next time our 3rd leaves gotta be something that works with Warrior/Rshaman/x or Warrior/Warlock/x :D

#18 Twocat

Twocat
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Illidan
  • Rampage
  • Talents: Enhancement

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

not sure how a healer could play without at least an interrupt monitoring addon, I'll even see top players juking when interrupts are down because they don't have it

blizzard puts a lot of "required" addons ingame, surprised this hasn't been put in yet
or at least give all interrupts a more visual effect like CS has
Posted Image

#19 Amiza

Amiza
  • Junkies
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Defias Brotherhood
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • LocationEngland

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

View PostTwocat, on 03 January 2013 - 09:55 PM, said:

not sure how a healer could play without at least an interrupt monitoring addon, I'll even see top players juking when interrupts are down because they don't have it

blizzard puts a lot of "required" addons ingame, surprised this hasn't been put in yet
or at least give all interrupts a more visual effect like CS has

Forgot to say I run with afflicted cant play without it as caster

#20 BasedCook

BasedCook
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Brewmaster 2/0/0/2/0/1

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:35 PM

tbh if you played with blizz ui for some months or years using bartender is gona fuck u in the ass so will any other addon exept move anything and enamy trinket tracking addons

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<