#1 nurmal

nurmal
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Warsong
  • Ruin
  • Talents: Frost

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:24 PM

Im almost ordering a Silverstone Fortress 2, but ive read some comments on how it doesnt cool well with some gpus, i tried to find a list of those gpus, couldnt find it on the site or google, does anyone know anything about it?

#2 chaplain

chaplain
  • Members

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:26 PM

due to the different motherboard mounting position your gpu ends up being mounted vertically which isn't usually a problem unless you have a really big gpu with a large aftermarket cooler on it

if you want to have more than one gpu in your ft02 reference cooling isn't a good idea, for just a single card ref cooling is usually okay

#3 nurmal

nurmal
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Warsong
  • Ruin

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:03 PM

im considering cross fire with 7870´s or 7950´s, i read that sst fortress 2 is the best air cooling case, and it looks sweet too, but if thats gonna be a problem for a cross fire ill prolly rethink it...

#4 chaplain

chaplain
  • Members

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:24 PM

it depends on your card, if you're going with crossfire instead of a single 7970 or something then get a card with a cooler on it (Sapphire Vapor-X, ASUS DCII, XFX DD etc)

#5 Pharaun

Pharaun
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:46 AM

I would not crossfire a 7850, possibly not even a 7950 (though maybe).  Until you get to the really high end cards, it's oftentimes not worth the hassle of dealing with 2+ card setups.

Unless you have a burning need to play on 3 screens right now for the absolute minimum amount or something, a single card should be more than enough.
"Who, after all, is today speaking of the destruction of the Armenians?"

-Adolf Hitler, 1939

#6 nurmal

nurmal
  • Members
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Warsong
  • Ruin

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:08 PM

Lol just got a deal on fractal design Define R4 for 50$... cant say its the same as a fortress 2 but with the $ i saved i can buy a better PSU, prolly a Seasonic... Are antec PSU´s any good? Found them on sale, didnt buy tho...

#7 chaplain

chaplain
  • Members

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:59 PM

Antec PSUs are pretty good, especially their low-end stuff. HCG, VP and EA series Antec PSUs ought to be good. Other units you wanna look at include the Seasonic M or S12II maybe even X series, XFX ProSeries, SuperFlower Golden King or Golden Green, PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK II, Corsair TX/VX/HX/AX or maybe some of the better Silverstone Strider units.

#8 Pharaun

Pharaun
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:46 AM

Seasonic, xfx, pcp&c silencer, corsair ax & some hx/tx, and a good chunk of antec PSUs are just rebranded seasonic.  Which is a good thing.  The other chunk of antec, tx, etc are often times channel well or delta, which is still decent.  Silverstone have a couple of models with really good manufacturers, but a lot of really sketchy ones, so be careful.
"Who, after all, is today speaking of the destruction of the Armenians?"

-Adolf Hitler, 1939

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<