Help

Post-christmas buying rage

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 treeqt

treeqt
  • Members

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

Christmas is basically over and I got too much money. I have a list of things I want to buy and honestly got no idea at all what's good and what not and what what what.
Sorted by priority I want to get:
  • A second screen

I got a 26", 16:10 screen here and want to add another screen. Do I want to get a second 16:10? Do I want to get a 26"? Or should I rather get a 16:9 seeing as it's the standard and maybe get a second 16:9 when I got more cash. What are the benefits of having 2 equally sized/scaled screens and is it pretty much a must or is it pretty much w/e?

• Audio equip

I am currently listening to music with some old as fuck Logitech 2.1 speakers. I'm not an expert but I think it's fairly obvious that this is less than optimal. So I thought about headphones now. I got some charts from /mu/ and /g/ and those are within the price range I thought of:

Posted Image

That's 5. I only need 1. What do ; - - [

I also need a soundcard because I'm running shit over my mainboard atm and I heard that's pretty much anything but good.

Or is getting a good speaker setup better? I literally don't know shit about this.

• A mechanical Keyboard

Thought about getting the 6gv2. Is the 7g worth the extra €? Or should I get a completely different keyboard? I never had a mechanical before and I don't have any idea what switches I want. All I know is that noise is not that important. And I need media keys of any form (be it extra media keys or F-keys + Fn).

I basically got 400€ - 500€ right now and will get some more in the next couple of days so I thought about ~200€ for the monitor, ~200€ for the Audio stuff and ~100€ for the keyboard.
But any suggestion is fine as long as they don't completely miss those guidelines. Really, any advice is welcome though.

Thanks a lot
[04:20:00] Dan: Just bang her
[20:05:48] ALEXIS JAGGER: I'd like to think
[20:05:51] ALEXIS JAGGER: I'm a modest person

#2 Pharaun

Pharaun
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:24 AM

1) Really depends on what you want to do with the screen.  You're not going to be gaming on two screens (the split down the middle makes any even number of screens pretty much fail for gaming), so having monitors of the same size or aspect ratio doesn't really matter.  If all you want is a second monitor to do random stuff on while you game or watch shit on the bigger monitor, then just any random 100~150EUR piece of shit will fit the bill.

2) In that price range the AT is probably best. I doubt it's worth dropping the $$ for a decent sound card if you have only low-mid range headphones.  As far as speakers go, I advocate either cheap pieces of shit (~$20) or an actual speaker setup, with a receiver and 3.5mm to rca adapters (which I presume you would be using for watching movies, not gaming, because... headphones).  And even then I'm not even sure it's worth the soundcard, because the audio chips on the newer motherboards are really not half bad.  Maybe if you have >$1k worth of speakers 'n shit, it'd be worth getting a real soundcard.  I dunno.

3) Try going to a physical store and trying out the different switches.  They do vary quite a bit, so you might end up not liking one or two. If you really want media keys, your choices for mechanical keyboards are pretty limited, because almost all of the really good ones are pretty barebones when it comes to that.  At least the 6gv2 is not a razr :P
"Who, after all, is today speaking of the destruction of the Armenians?"

-Adolf Hitler, 1939

#3 treeqt

treeqt
  • Members

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:47 AM

1) That's what I thought. Will just get an Asus VS248H I guess. It's 166€ from where I wanted to order and has lots of +++++ ratings. Any objections?

2) So soundcard is a no. For speakers I already got the cheap ones and don't have the $$$ for big ones so yeah it's headphones.
I had a look at this right here: http://www.head-fi.o...-guide-over-ear

I'm interested in:

Philips Citiscape Uptown SHL5905BK/10
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
V-MODA Crossfade M-80 / Crossfade LP2
Shure SRH840
Sennheiser HD 25-1 II

If anyone has/had any of these I'd gladly hear some opinions especially concerning comfort.

3) Will probably (have to) do that. Can you recommend me 1 keyboard per switch type though? ~100€ (150€ tops) & with a num pad. Since the 6gv2 doesn't seem to be what you'd suggest :D

Anyway, you definitely helped me out so far. Thanks for that.

#4 Pharaun

Pharaun
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:56 AM

1) Sounds fine.

2) My brother has some open ear sennheisers (555/595?) that he swears by (mostly for music and playing Rachmaninoff on keyboards).  But if you're dead set on closed ear the 25-1 or hd 280 would probably be good.  Do you have a particular need for closed ones?  (Closed will have more noise canceling, and don't leak much sound, whereas open headphones have basically 0 noise canceling and other people will be able to hear what you're listening to (albeit very muffled))

Those are all pretty decent choices though, mostly real audio companies.  Better than some random peripheral company crap :P

3) For linear (probably red, black are much stiffer) I'd recommend a leopold (there's another thread in here with a link) that's pretty good.  It'll have a full numpad, but no extra media keys.  If you can find a clicky (brown or blue) of the same keyboard, that'd probably be what I recommend.  Actually wait.  You're in Europe.  That means you can buy a filco from keyboardco more easily:

http://www.keyboardc...sp?PRODUCT=1037

Most of those are around 100EUR w/o VAT.  Filcos are about as good as you're going to find.
"Who, after all, is today speaking of the destruction of the Armenians?"

-Adolf Hitler, 1939

#5 treeqt

treeqt
  • Members

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:50 AM

Yeah I definitely want closed ones. I'll probably head to the headfi forums for that though although I guess it's really just preference among those I listed. Will probably just take the best priced ones I can find and go for it.
The Filcos are actually £100 and with VAT and shipping that's ~160€ which is too much for me atm. I think I'll either go for the 6gv2 (can get it for 70€ and has the mediakeys ^_^) or any good deal on a filco/leopold I can find.
Thanks for your time (:

#6 Acud

Acud
  • Members
  • LocationKepler-22b

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

View Posttreeqt, on 29 December 2012 - 08:50 AM, said:

Yeah I definitely want closed ones. I'll probably head to the headfi forums for that though although I guess it's really just preference among those I listed. Will probably just take the best priced ones I can find and go for it.
The Filcos are actually £100 and with VAT and shipping that's ~160€ which is too much for me atm. I think I'll either go for the 6gv2 (can get it for 70€ and has the mediakeys ^_^) or any good deal on a filco/leopold I can find.
Thanks for your time (:

i would recommend you to visit http://www.hifi-forum.de. they have a special subforum for purchase advice concerning headphones.
you can ask them everything and be sure to get a professional response.

Or is getting a good speaker setup better? I literally don't know shit about this.

That depends on your personal preference imo. I don't like the feeling of headphones on my head and therefore i'm going with speakers but there are also countless people who prefer closed headphones.

Posted Image

#7 chaplain

chaplain
  • Members

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:28 PM

my environment plus personal preference made me go for closed headphones as well and I got the beyerdynamic dt770, they're really comfortable to wear and sound good, I also decided to get the objective 2 amp for them

if you don't have a noisy environment/don't need to control sound emanating from your headphones the semi-open or fully open-back headphones reportedly have a better overall soundstage

the beyerdynamics do bass really well too

the 6gv2 is an okay mech keyboard, similar to corsair k60 or cooler master storm

I would think brands like das, ducky, filco, noppoo etc produce slightly higher quality keyboards. just make sure you find a switch you like whether that be topre or browns or black alps or whatever

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<