Sykeasaurus
  • Moderators
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Shadow

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:44 AM

View PostSlashgiggle, on 11 December 2012 - 07:52 AM, said:

I've seen somebody getting a ticket for the "year" sticker on their license plate being crooked. I think a lot probably depends on how much of a dickbeard the cop is

rep for dickbeard

bk said:

I used to beat off alot, and fail all my classes

Insight said:

I figured he's a phony but I was secretly hoping to get pounded by someone famous.

View PostTw1zle, on 07 August 2011 - 11:05 PM, said:

i wasnt aware that america was a country

i guess we learn things every day

#22 Slashgiggle

Slashgiggle
  • LocationHome of the Brave

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:34 PM

I can't believe you actually find that guy's attitude and way he went about that acceptable

Actually no I can
Fernando Torres, Lord of Football

#23 Matisse

Matisse
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Khaz Modan
  • Vengeance

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:38 PM

View PostKelustu, on 11 December 2012 - 07:14 AM, said:

What I DON'T understand is speed limits. It's the same at 8 at night when the freeway is packed (but not rush hour, so people can actually go 55/60) as it is at 3 in the morning. Speed limits aren't stopping drunk drivers from going faster, and ticketing me for going 80 at 3 in the morning when I'm perfectly sober and there's literally not another car in sight is beyond stupid.

Speed limits are generally in place for several reasons:

1) Environmental/structural - Lower speeds do improve emissions, and our current highways (at least in the U.S.) aren't actually designed to handle speeds over ~65 mph. Vibration from cars does considerable damage to the pavement and supports. Noise is a factor in some areas, but that's generally for heavy-traffic situations such as rush hour.

2) Lower speeds still do reduce injuries/deaths, both by allowing for more reaction time and, well, you don't hit things as hard in the event of a crash. "Reasonable and prudent" clauses deal with traffic (not applicable in your case), weather, road conditions, and visibility (hence nighttime speed limits in some areas).

3) I could be mistaken, but I think that federal highway funding is also dependent partially there being a speed limit. As for setting the speed limit, that is dependent on the previous reasons.

View PostKelustu, on 11 December 2012 - 07:40 AM, said:

There's literally not a single thing that could have gone wrong that would be different at 80 than at 60. The stopping power of the car I drive is well above what the stopping power was when 60 was decided to be the standard

Can you clarify this bolded part?

Posted Image

View PostBreadstick, on 07 September 2012 - 03:32 AM, said:

some pickles are really good

#24 stcolbert

stcolbert
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Eredar
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Holy

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:25 PM

View PostKelustu, on 11 December 2012 - 07:40 AM, said:

By myself in the car, on the freeway, in a city. There's literally not a single thing that could have gone wrong that would be different at 80 than at 60. The stopping power of the car I drive is well above what the stopping power was when 60 was decided to be the standard, and my reaction time as a 20 year male is significantly better than that of a 60 year old. Speed limits are applying a universal standard, which is fine, you can't say "porsche drivers can go 80, audi drivers can go 75, nissans can go 30", etc. I'm just saying that any cop that is pulling me over for going 80 on an EMPTY freeway at 3 in the morning is a fucking prick.
Although i don't agree with speed limits the way they are in Ontario (very archaic), the bolded statement suggests you've never taken a physics course in your life.

-------------------
OP:  Kid's a fucking retard, doesn't even know what belligerent means.  He probably would've been kicked out of university if the cops weren't fucking retards too and broke into his room.
I'm always right.
Posted Image

#25 Slashgiggle

Slashgiggle
  • LocationHome of the Brave

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:27 PM

Emmune more like Femmune gotem
Fernando Torres, Lord of Football

#26 Kelustu

Kelustu
  • Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Rivendare
  • Emberstorm
  • Talents: Restoration

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

View PostRilor, on 11 December 2012 - 08:56 AM, said:

How is the cop supposed to know you're not under the influence? He is seeing someone blatantly disregarding the law and it is his job to ensure the safety of you and those around you. Just because something hasn't happened to you yet while disobeying the law doesn't mean that it won't ever happen and if it ever did and he didn't stop and check the guy who was speeding it is his career on the line. You should be glad that the police in your city actually give two fucks about doing their job properly.

As I said before if you don't want to be harassed by the police you should follow the rules of the road.

If I'm driving in a straight line, with my lights on, not blasting music and only going a bit over the speed limit and the cop presumes that I'm drunk, and you think that's okay, you're literally retarded. You can't just pull people over on the assumption that they're drunk, you need some kind of evidence to the idea that they might be. Speeding is not evidence towards being drunk. And if you REALLY think that a cop is not being a huge fucking twat by pulling someone over at 2 or 3 in the morning for going 15 over the speed limit on an empty freeway in an area where people typically drive 10 over the speed limit during the day, when it's crowded, then you're just plain full of shit.

Also, you can pull someone over and not give them a ticket
Posted Image

#27 Hyrmine

Hyrmine
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Arms 2/1/1/1/1/0

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:50 PM

View PostDU5KNOIR, on 11 December 2012 - 03:36 PM, said:

some idiots break into his place for alcohol that doesn't exist and they deserve sympathy? i'm not saying he's not being belligerent, but i'm saying there's not a problem with what he said given the circumstances.
i think that guy should fucking die to be honest, dont care what police did

#28 Matisse

Matisse
  • Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • US-Khaz Modan
  • Vengeance

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:17 PM

View Poststcolbert, on 11 December 2012 - 06:25 PM, said:

the bolded statement suggests you've never taken a physics course in your life

Yeah I agree, was gonna mention that but figured we'd take it slow.

View PostKelustu, on 11 December 2012 - 07:11 PM, said:

Have you considered not speeding, and not having such an abrasive personality? I don't mean that in a bad way, necessarily, but as you said cops are dicks, etc., and if your tone IRL is similar to how it is on AJ, it'll likely cause you trouble (like getting a ticket rather than a warning ;) ).

Some light reading, don't read too much at once, it's not good for your stress levels
http://forums.officer.com/
http://forums.officer.com/t180042/

Posted Image

View PostBreadstick, on 07 September 2012 - 03:32 AM, said:

some pickles are really good

#29 stcolbert

stcolbert
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Eredar
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Holy

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

If I'm driving in a straight line, with my lights on, not blasting music and only going a bit over the speed limit and the cop presumes that I'm drunk, and you think that's okay, you're literally retarded. You can't just pull people over on the assumption that they're drunk, you need some kind of evidence to the idea that they might be. Speeding is not evidence towards being drunk. And if you REALLY think that a cop is not being a huge fucking twat by pulling someone over at 2 or 3 in the morning for going 15 over the speed limit on an empty freeway in an area where people typically drive 10 over the speed limit during the day, when it's crowded, then you're just plain full of shit.

The bottom line is that you are breaking the law by speeding so they are justified 100% pulling you over and giving you a ticket.  They enforce the law, they don't create it (I remember you stating this point in the DEA thread about marijuana too).
There is a chance that people cruising the roads at 3am may have been drinking.  I'd say it is statistically higher than during noon or w/e, purely based on my personal experience.
I'm always right.
Posted Image

#30 Raia

Raia
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Lightbringer
  • Whirlwind
  • Talents: Retribution
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:31 PM

If anything, speeding at night is worse than during a busy stretch. Even if you aren't drunk, someone else could be and it's just harder to see in general. 99% of the time you can get away with going 10 over the speed limit anyways.

#31 Verk6

Verk6
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Mal'Ganis
  • Stormstrike
  • Talents: Frost

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

#32 Kelustu

Kelustu
  • Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Rivendare
  • Emberstorm

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:35 PM

View PostMatisse, on 11 December 2012 - 03:38 PM, said:

Speed limits are generally in place for several reasons:

1) Environmental/structural - Lower speeds do improve emissions, and our current highways (at least in the U.S.) aren't actually designed to handle speeds over ~65 mph. Vibration from cars does considerable damage to the pavement and supports. Noise is a factor in some areas, but that's generally for heavy-traffic situations such as rush hour.

2) Lower speeds still do reduce injuries/deaths, both by allowing for more reaction time and, well, you don't hit things as hard in the event of a crash. "Reasonable and prudent" clauses deal with traffic (not applicable in your case), weather, road conditions, and visibility (hence nighttime speed limits in some areas).

3) I could be mistaken, but I think that federal highway funding is also dependent partially there being a speed limit. As for setting the speed limit, that is dependent on the previous reasons.

Can you clarify this bolded part?

Sigh, I hate having to address stupidity. Nowhere am I saying that it shouldn't be the law. What I'm saying is that the cop is an absolute fucking cunt for giving the ticket.  http://losangeles.cb...ch-regulations/ Throwing a frisbee without lifeguard permission is against the law. Any lifeguard that yelled at you *FOR NO ACTUAL REASON* for throwing your frisbee without his permission, or any cop that ticketed you for it, would of course be huge fucking pieces of shit. Just because it's the law doesn't mean the cop has to go around giving out tickets for it.

55 is the optimal speed for gas efficiency and time efficiency (http://eartheasy.com...nt_driving.html) which is already 10 MPH lower than most speed limits around my area, and people continue to drive 5 MPH above that. If you really think that a few people going an extra 10 MPH faster at 3 in the morning has an impact on the structural integrity of the freeway you're just wrong.

I'm not going to crash into something. There's literally nothing on the road for me to hit. It's just not going to happen. And, again, if I hit the wall of the freeway at 80 in my car, I'm going to be just as dead as I would have been at 70.
Posted Image

#33 Kelustu

Kelustu
  • Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Rivendare
  • Emberstorm

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:38 PM

View PostHyrmine, on 11 December 2012 - 07:50 PM, said:

i think that guy should fucking die to be honest, dont care what police did

You realize it's possible for them BOTH to be wrong, right?

View Poststcolbert, on 11 December 2012 - 08:22 PM, said:

The bottom line is that you are breaking the law by speeding so they are justified 100% pulling you over and giving you a ticket. They enforce the law, they don't create it (I remember you stating this point in the DEA thread about marijuana too). There is a chance that people cruising the roads at 3am may have been drinking. I'd say it is statistically higher than during noon or w/e, purely based on my personal experience.

Right, but like I said before, it's illegal to throw a frisbee without lifeguard permission. Actually, it's now illegal to throw a football on the beaches of Los Angeles. Just because it's against the law doesn't mean everyone needs to be ticketed. If you were sitting here and talking to someone that had been ticketed for playing football on the beach you would CERTAINLY be on their side of the issue.

View PostRaia, on 11 December 2012 - 08:31 PM, said:

If anything, speeding at night is worse than during a busy stretch. Even if you aren't drunk, someone else could be and it's just harder to see in general. 99% of the time you can get away with going 10 over the speed limit anyways.

Confirmed for having no fucking idea what empty lanes, headlights and a reaction time are.
Posted Image

#34 Raia

Raia
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Lightbringer
  • Whirlwind
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:39 PM

View PostKelustu, on 11 December 2012 - 08:35 PM, said:

I'm not going to crash into something.

I don't think anyone thinks that they're going to crash into something, yet it still seems to happen.

#35 Raia

Raia
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Lightbringer
  • Whirlwind
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:41 PM

View PostKelustu, on 11 December 2012 - 08:38 PM, said:

Confirmed for having no fucking idea what empty lanes, headlights and a reaction time are.

I said it was harder to see. One car accidents happen to sober drivers too.

#36 Kelustu

Kelustu
  • Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Rivendare
  • Emberstorm

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:43 PM

View PostVerk6, on 11 December 2012 - 08:32 PM, said:

http://www.cracked.c...alizing-it.html

So you deserve tickets for all of that? Again, you'd have to be stupid beyond any and all conceivable means to truly believe that the speed limit, set to enforce the speeds of millions of people during the day to prevent accidents (neglecting the fact that they actually have no impact on the death/accident rates) is enforced at 3 in the morning for the same reasons. It's plainly stupid. Not once have I said in this thread that it isn't the law, which you fucking mongoloids keep throwing back at me. I'm saying that the cop made a conscious decision to pull someone over, hiding behind a bridge wall on the right-shoulder, who's driving in a straight line, safely, a little bit over the speed limit. Then he decided, after pulling me over and determining that I'm not drunk and only attempting to get home and go to sleep, to give me a ticket.

Want to know how dumb it is? The judge agreed with me when I challenged the ticket.
Posted Image

#37 Raia

Raia
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Lightbringer
  • Whirlwind
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:45 PM

Also, with the whole frisbee/football on the beach law, that's comparing apples to oranges. Speeding is a universally known law. If there were clearly posted signs saying "No Footballs or Frisbees Permitted on Beach Grounds" you would be at risk for being caught for breaking the law, no matter how stupid the law is. If the law wasn't posted/known, then you could have a reason to be upset.

#38 Raia

Raia
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Lightbringer
  • Whirlwind
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:47 PM

View PostKelustu, on 11 December 2012 - 08:43 PM, said:

http://www.cracked.c...alizing-it.html

So you deserve tickets for all of that? Again, you'd have to be stupid beyond any and all conceivable means to truly believe that the speed limit, set to enforce the speeds of millions of people during the day to prevent accidents (neglecting the fact that they actually have no impact on the death/accident rates) is enforced at 3 in the morning for the same reasons. It's plainly stupid. Not once have I said in this thread that it isn't the law, which you fucking mongoloids keep throwing back at me. I'm saying that the cop made a conscious decision to pull someone over, hiding behind a bridge wall on the right-shoulder, who's driving in a straight line, safely, a little bit over the speed limit. Then he decided, after pulling me over and determining that I'm not drunk and only attempting to get home and go to sleep, to give me a ticket.

Want to know how dumb it is? The judge agreed with me when I challenged the ticket.

I think speed limits can be dumb, too. However, there has to be some kind of guideline.

Parking tickets are worse anyways. Milwaukee meter maids have to be some of the worst in the US.

#39 Thedream

Thedream
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Lightbringer
  • Whirlwind
  • Talents: Restoration 1/0/2/1/0/2

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:50 PM

philly/any college campus have the worst fucking meter maids DUDE

Posted Image

live.laugh.love

i am the law

#40 Kelustu

Kelustu
  • Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • US-Rivendare
  • Emberstorm

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:50 PM

View PostRaia, on 11 December 2012 - 08:47 PM, said:

I think speed limits can be dumb, too. However, there has to be some kind of guideline.

Parking tickets are worse anyways. Milwaukee meter maids have to be some of the worst in the US.

Depends on the parking ticket. If you're 30 seconds late to a parking meter and the meter maid sees you running to put in more money, then he's a piece of shit. If you're parked in front of a hydrant or you've  been parked on a busy road for hours on end without paying for the meter, then you deserve the ticket. That's the distinction I'm making with speeding. I'm not saying that speeding is acceptable whenever the fuck you want, I'm saying that a cop who decides to go out of his way to pull me over, then determine that I'm not drunk and STILL gives me a ticket is a piece of shit.

And, since this is still not clear to anyone here, I'm not saying that it isn't against the law. I'm saying that the cop is doing a shitty job at actually benefiting the public.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<