Help

Just returned to WoW after 4 year break

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Axenation

Axenation
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:36 AM

Hi, I left WoW mid season 4 and it seems like EVERYTHING has changed. Of course I have a lot of questions, but most can be answered by myself just by playing over the next couple of weeks. I have a few important ones though if anyone would like to give me some advice.

First, when I left I had two characters at lvl 70. My active character was a holy paladin, and my semi-active char was an sl/sl demo lock. With my pally I ran 2's with a MS Warrior and we sat between 1700 - 1900 depending on the other teams queuing. For 3's we ran with a Frost Mage and I think we maxed around 1750 or so. Obviously communication errors were our major downfall. My lock was a fresh 70 and just finally got all epic arena gear right as I quit so I don't really remember anything from my experience there.

I decided to level my Warlock first for many reasons. One, having a high level dps class seems to make everything easier (farming wise) and two, when I played Holy Paladins were kinda bunk compared to druids and other healers in arena. So my lock's at 85 and pally is still level 70 for the time being.

How well are locks and paladins holding up in arenas at the moment?

I returned through the scroll of resurrection promotion so I more or less get a free level 80 character (I think). I have no clue what the current state of arena is so I'm not sure which class I wish to choose. The classes I've been considering are MS Warrior, Resto Shaman, Mage or possibly Death Knight, Monk, or Priest. I have absolutely no interest in playing a Hunter or a Druid...

So if anyone could give me some suggestions or info that would be great! I'm favoring a warrior at the moment. The brackets I'm interested in are mostly 3's and to a lesser extent 2's.

Also is there a list somewhere that gives popular arena combos and what the abbreviations mean? I see stuff like KFC, but have no clue what that means.

Last question: It "seems" as if there's more ways to acquire PvP gear now with Arenas, Rated Battlegrounds (right?), Crafting (I saw blue gear in the tailoring tab) and I'm "assuming" there's an honor vendor somewhere. What's the best way to gear up a new PvP character that has no friends (I just came back) to help me.

Sorry for all the questions, I'm sure if I searched these forums enough I could find some of the answers, but I'm hardcore focusing on hitting level 90. Thanks in advance to everyone who read this, and to anyone who takes the time to help answer the questions I asked.

#2 NiNLeX

NiNLeX
  • Members
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Ravencrest
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Affliction 0/1/2/0/0/0

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:22 AM

Locks are mediocre overall, but affli is suffering from low sustained damage until well geared. Pallys are also pretty ok, they got good cc, but can be globalled pretty much like any other healer except for druid.

If you want to get free lvl 80, I would suggest warrior or mage, since mage is a god-tier class and warrior is somewhere close. If you want healer you should go with shaman instead of priest, but shadow is doing well for priests.

Fastest way to gear your character is to kill sha of anger (world boss) and hope for loot, grind bg's, tol barad, wintergrasp and always cap your conquest with arena or rbg, rbg gives your higher cap so if you can get yourself into a group then it's better option for gearing.

#3 Jacquelol

Jacquelol
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Sylvanas
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Restoration 1/2/2/1/2/0
  • 2v2: 1053
  • 3v3: 192
  • LocationNORSWE

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:34 AM

since the exstensive time you have skipped been absent you should probly stroll with w/e you allways wanted to play!
Jacquel "The Druid" is currently not playing wow.

Shout out too Lunor for being the most amazing friend one can have.

Shout out too Hyuru the most amazing, friendly and nice person ive met on AJ
Shout out too Ardnut the second most amazing and friendly person ive met on AJ
¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#4 Axenation

Axenation
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:36 AM

Thanks that answers everything except what team abbreviations mean that are so heavily used here. I know RMP means rogue / mage / priest but the others I have no clue about .. like KFC .. Wtf does that mean??

Is there a list of commonly used pvp terms somewhere?

#5 Breadstick

Breadstick
  • Moderators
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Arena Tournament 1
  • Coliseum 1
  • Talents: Affliction

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:33 AM

View PostAxenation, on 09 December 2012 - 08:36 AM, said:

Thanks that answers everything except what team abbreviations mean that are so heavily used here. I know RMP means rogue / mage / priest but the others I have no clue about .. like KFC .. Wtf does that mean??

KFC = Kung Fu Cleave which is warrior/hunter/healer

i'm not sure if there's a list anywhere for the rest, but feel free to ask here and i'm sure someone will be willing to clear the acronyms up for you

it gets a little confusing because during wotlk everything turned into some kind of "cleave" whether it's a traditional double melee team or not, and there's a lot of silly names for them such as african turtle cleave which was prot warrior/hunter/healer (it's also not played anymore, but yeah)
Posted Image

#6 Synkz

Synkz
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • US-Blood Furnace
  • Retaliation
  • Talents: Destruction 0/2/0/0/2/.

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:49 AM

View PostAxenation, on 09 December 2012 - 08:36 AM, said:

This is an outdated list of comp names, but it will give you a general idea of some of the names being used.

• Members
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Twisting Nether
  • Rampage / Saccage
  • Talents: Unholy 2/0/2/0/0/2
  • RBG: 1866

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:59 AM

For comp names, there are a few general guidelines on how you name the comp, but there are exceptions to them of course:

Warlock : Shadow...
Shadow Priest: ...play
Death Knight: ...cleave
Warrior: ...cleave
Rogue: Smokebomb...
Hunter: Thug...
Feral: Kitty...
Frost Mage: Shatter...
Fire Mage: Fire...
Balance Druid: Chicken...
Enhancement Shaman: Beast...
Elemental Shaman: Elemental...
Ret: Faceroll...

If by these guidelines you get a comp where both classes provide the first part of the name, the carrying class gets to keep the name, and you put ''cleave'' behind it.

For example, Hunter/Rogue/healer would be named as follows:

Hunter: Thug.... Rogue: Smokebomb.... Both classes provide the first part of the name. Hunter carries, so we keep Thug, and put cleave behind it. Thugcleave = hunter/rogue/healer.

There are the odd ones as well, such as Death Knight/Shadow Priest/Healer. This comp is named after the Death Knight's spec, instead of after the exceptions rule above. So if the DK is Frost, it becomes Frostplay. If the DK is Unholy, it becomes Unholyplay.

Obvious exceptions apply, and I'm fairly certain there are more exceptions than there are applications to this rule, but it's something to go with.

And play whichever you've always wanted to play. That should work out nicely.
Posted Image

#8 Axenation

Axenation
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

Thanks guys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<