• Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • Talents: Subtlety 1/2/2/0/0/0
  • RBG: 2237
  • LocationNOT EVEN EU

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

Thinking of buying 2x Yamakasi Catleaps from S Korea, what should I be looking for? Is it worth gambling when it comes to pixels or should I be looking to buy one of the perfect pixel ones?

#2 Pharaun

Pharaun
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:22 AM

Pixel perfect catleaps often simply mean no dead pixels, they typically can't guarantee anything about stuck pixels.  Make sure you ask the seller about that beforehand.  If a stuck pixel is going to annoy the fuck out of you, stay away.  It is a gamble.

I have one, it has a stuck pixel, somewhere.  I can't tell when I'm actually doing anything (movie, game, w/e).  The human eye has an amazing propensity to blur the details.

Also note that it's dual link dvi only, so if you were planning on driving those with displayport, gl with that (active adapter is pretty pricey).  Some video cards will have only one dual link dvi port, and one single link dvi port.  Make sure you verify that before getting 2.
"Who, after all, is today speaking of the destruction of the Armenians?"

-Adolf Hitler, 1939

#3 Hyuru

Hyuru
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • LocationNOT EVEN EU

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:29 AM

View PostPharaun, on 04 December 2012 - 03:22 AM, said:

Pixel perfect catleaps often simply mean no dead pixels, they typically can't guarantee anything about stuck pixels.  Make sure you ask the seller about that beforehand.  If a stuck pixel is going to annoy the fuck out of you, stay away.  It is a gamble.

I have one, it has a stuck pixel, somewhere.  I can't tell when I'm actually doing anything (movie, game, w/e).  The human eye has an amazing propensity to blur the details.

Also note that it's dual link dvi only, so if you were planning on driving those with displayport, gl with that (active adapter is pretty pricey).  Some video cards will have only one dual link dvi port, and one single link dvi port.  Make sure you verify that before getting 2.
Got a GTX670- so shouldnt be a problem, doubt I will get that annoyed by a stuck pixel tbh. Thanks for the reply.

#4 Pharaun

Pharaun
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:59 AM

View PostHyuru, on 04 December 2012 - 07:29 AM, said:

Got a GTX670- so shouldnt be a problem
yup, dual link dvi-i and dvi-d, looks good

View PostHyuru, on 04 December 2012 - 07:29 AM, said:

doubt I will get that annoyed by a stuck pixel tbh. Thanks for the reply.
If you have any friends with monitors that have stuck pixels you may want to try those out before you buy.  Or I dunno, maybe there's a program somewhere that can fake stuck pixels.  I see no reason why such a program couldn't exist on top of windowed mode games, it'd be similar to what streamers do to make random overlays.  Just make absolutely sure you're going to be fine with it, because with 2 of them you're gonna be practically guaranteed to get stuck pixels.

Also the usual things to consider when buying a monitor
- check benchmarks for whatever the fuck you want to play.  GPU intensive games you should be fine with a 670, I dunno about CPU intensive games.  Sucks to buy a nice monitor and then play at a choppy 30fps
- if you can't control the lighting in your room pretty carefully, any glossy monitor can be a nightmare (in which case you may want to go with a dell u27xx or the like).
- desk space, 2x 27" is like 1.5m of horizontal space for just the monitors, unless you plan on ripping off the back and using the vesa mount (also note, with the catleaps you would have to rip some shit off the back, because the genius designers of these bare bones dealies put a giant fucking plastic curvy thing on top of the mount)
- if you ever plan on expanding to a setup with smaller vertical monitors on the side, I think 27" is the wrong form factor, because the availability of 1440xZZZ monitors with the right pixel pitch & dimensions is pretty much nonexistent

-Adolf Hitler, 1939

#5 Hyuru

Hyuru
  • Junkies
  • Humanclass_name
  • EU-Outland
  • Misery
  • LocationNOT EVEN EU

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:00 AM

View PostPharaun, on 04 December 2012 - 07:59 AM, said:

If you have any friends with monitors that have stuck pixels you may want to try those out before you buy.  
Can ask around a bit (planning on waiting til atleast after christmas/newyear anyways since the prices have inflated a lot)

View PostPharaun, on 04 December 2012 - 07:59 AM, said:

- check benchmarks for whatever the fuck you want to play.  GPU intensive games you should be fine with a 670, I dunno about CPU intensive games.  Sucks to buy a nice monitor and then play at a choppy 30fps
- if you can't control the lighting in your room pretty carefully, any glossy monitor can be a nightmare (in which case you may want to go with a dell u27xx or the like).
Planning on also getting a second GTX670 and run them SLI, and got an i7 3770k clocked to 4.5ghz. So hopefully I won't be playing with choppy 30 fps :D

What's the difference between the Q270 and 2703 other than the stand? I noticed there's like no difference in price. I guess the 2703 is probably better for Net Café's etc (as they all got tempered glass)?

Edited by Hyuru, 04 December 2012 - 09:04 AM.

#6 Pharaun

Pharaun
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:58 AM

I meant your single GPU is probably already sufficient for GPU intensive games.  I'm not sure that adding a second one is necessary, unless you mean to actually play split screen at 5100x1440 resolution (which would be an odd choice I think, because the center bar would be really fucking annoying).

I don't know of any other significant differences between a q270 and 2703.  The 2703 might look slicker if you have optimal lighting, but it's probably going to have even yet more glare than a normal glossy.  I heard someone talk about dust under the glass once, but I have no idea what the scope of that is.  You could probably find more info on overclock.net from someone who actually knows wtf they're talking about.

-Adolf Hitler, 1939

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<