This shit is so cool

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 Theoh

Theoh
  • Members

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:18 PM

View PostAbularfia, on 28 November 2012 - 05:30 PM, said:

that is complete bullshit. The useful energy extracted from the humans would necessarily be equal to or less than the energy expended in keeping them alive

first of all it's the future and they some how figured out how to make virtual reality indistinguishable from reality. pretty sure all current science goes out the window. and machines would do this better than we ever could

View Poststcolbert, on 29 November 2012 - 12:58 AM, said:

How far have we really come since then though?  Airplanes and automobiles were already in production, energy was being used, modern physics and medicine had been/was being developed.  The framework for our scientific advancements were laid out for us in that era.

I find one thing common around the tech boom era is that people vastly overestimate what we will be capable of in the next few decades.  You can look back to movies created in the 1980s that portray our time (>2000) owning flying cars and hovering skateboards.  Viewing those movies now we think "how silly" yet we do the same thing when we talk about interstellar travel and weather/tectonic control within the next 100 years.

I guess time will only tell.

in 50 years we went from inventing the airplane to dropping a nuke.

things are getting smaller rather than bigger. probably huge advancements in biotech/engi.

star trek did have a phone of sorts, but our phones ended up becoming exponentially better than that.

#42 Kakio

Kakio
  • Members
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Khadgar
  • Reckoning / Abrechnung
  • Talents: Protection
  • LocationNorway ^^,

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:32 PM

View Poststcolbert, on 29 November 2012 - 12:58 AM, said:

How far have we really come since then though?  Airplanes and automobiles were already in production, energy was being used, modern physics and medicine had been/was being developed.  The framework for our scientific advancements were laid out for us in that era.

I find one thing common around the tech boom era is that people vastly overestimate what we will be capable of in the next few decades.  You can look back to movies created in the 1980s that portray our time (>2000) owning flying cars and hovering skateboards.  Viewing those movies now we think "how silly" yet we do the same thing when we talk about interstellar travel and weather/tectonic control within the next 100 years.

I guess time will only tell.

One thing that has vastly improved is the amount of people with access to the scientific data we have so far collected in the various fields. I mean with Internet making a vast majority of education accessible to a huge amount of people. I mean almost 1/3 of the world now have access to internet, giving them access to education and think how many more people are getting higher degrees today then 100 years ago. I mean we have A LOT more people who are capable of thinking about great advancement. Basically our advancement is exponential as the further we progress the more people will have access to the technology and be able to build further on it themselves making sure we always have more and more people bringing us forward.

So considering that probably 1/5 of the world will get a decent education that will mean this next generation is a lot more likely to bring huge progress in my opinion as a much larger percentage of the people who are of working age in 50 years will have a good solid education behind them then how it is at the moment.

Posted Image

#43 Nejim_Beshraavi

Nejim_Beshraavi
  • Members
  • LocationBetelgeuse

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:00 PM

View PostTheoh, on 29 November 2012 - 01:18 PM, said:

first of all it's the future and they some how figured out how to make virtual reality indistinguishable from reality. pretty sure all current science goes out the window. and machines would do this better than we ever could

in 50 years we went from inventing the airplane to dropping a nuke.

things are getting smaller rather than bigger. probably huge advancements in biotech/engi.

star trek did have a phone of sorts, but our phones ended up becoming exponentially better than that.

Anyone interested in civil development should look up " kondratief"-cycle.

That is a far more credible theorie than the shit about types of civilization that the op has posted.
If you look at. The cycles you can see that the cycle with informational technology is gone, there will now be only small improvements in informational technology, considering the Internet mobile phones computers. No big jumps like with the upcoming Internet.

And if you look at the next possible peaks of civil discovers it will either be biomedical / nanotechnology or the development of clean energy in form of fusion. That will be our major ideas for the next 100 years. Concerning interstellar travel will only be possible if we solve our energy problem.
I saved my receipts I had an alibi, I was a rapist in a foreign country with diplomatic immunity GET ON MY LEVEL!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<