• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 Nejim_Beshraavi

Nejim_Beshraavi
  • Members
  • LocationBetelgeuse

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:30 PM

View PostShaylá, on 28 November 2012 - 03:29 PM, said:

I want to see that study, I really do. Especially because I'm a hundred percent sure that people with a higher IQ more often have severe depressions or symptoms of depression than those with lower IQ.

i've sent you a pm with the article.

View PostBuglamp, on 28 November 2012 - 03:47 PM, said:

You can make a lot of energy just w/human bodies.

Posted Image

that is complete bullshit. The useful energy extracted from the humans would necessarily be equal to or less than the energy expended in keeping them alive
Posted Image

#22 Shaylá

Shaylá
  • Members
  • Taurenclass_name
  • EU-Onyxia
  • Raserei / Frenzy
  • Talents:

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:35 PM

View PostAbularfia, on 28 November 2012 - 05:30 PM, said:

that is complete bullshit. The useful energy extracted from the humans would necessarily be equal to or less than the energy expended in keeping them alive

I think he was being ironic

Edit: What the fuck is going on with my profile, I get a notification for a new message but it wouldn't show up. Just link it to me in Facebook.

#23 Nejim_Beshraavi

Nejim_Beshraavi
  • Members
  • LocationBetelgeuse

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

View PostShaylá, on 28 November 2012 - 05:35 PM, said:

I think he was being ironic

Edit: What the fuck is going on with my profile, I get a notification for a new message but it wouldn't show up. Just link it to me in Facebook.

i did xD
Posted Image

#24 Reliuna

Reliuna
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Naxxramas
  • Sturmangriff / Charge
  • Talents: Balance
  • LocationSweden

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:03 PM

lol, the IQ of abularfia...
Posted Image

#25 Buglamp

Buglamp
  • Members

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:25 PM

View PostAbularfia, on 28 November 2012 - 05:30 PM, said:

What about dead bodies then?

http://worldnews.nbc...mming-pool?lite

#26 Reliuna

Reliuna
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Naxxramas
  • Sturmangriff / Charge
  • LocationSweden

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

View PostBuglamp, on 28 November 2012 - 06:25 PM, said:

What about dead bodies then?

http://worldnews.nbc...mming-pool?lite

i believe using their organs to help others who need them to survive would do better?
Posted Image

#27 Buglamp

Buglamp
  • Members

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:40 PM

View PostReliuna, on 28 November 2012 - 06:28 PM, said:

i believe using their organs to help others who need them to survive would do better?

Not everyone is an organ donor.

Also if Abulifarterjf is correct, keeping people alive isn't efficient.

#28 Reliuna

Reliuna
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Naxxramas
  • Sturmangriff / Charge
  • LocationSweden

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:44 PM

View PostBuglamp, on 28 November 2012 - 06:40 PM, said:

Not everyone is an organ donor.

so force them, but yea, until then, make energy of them downies
Posted Image

#29 Kakio

Kakio
  • Members
  • Dwarfclass_name
  • EU-Khadgar
  • Reckoning / Abrechnung
  • Talents: Protection
  • LocationNorway ^^,

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:51 PM

pretty sure the people who dont want to donate the organs dont wanna be put into a bloody powerplant and made into energy either.

Posted Image

#30 Reliuna

Reliuna
  • Junkies
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • EU-Naxxramas
  • Sturmangriff / Charge
  • LocationSweden

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:59 PM

but we'll just force them, gg, what can they do? they're dead, ROfl.
Posted Image

#31 stcolbert

stcolbert
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Eredar
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Holy

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:58 AM

View PostSykeasaurus, on 28 November 2012 - 08:10 AM, said:

Imagine what we can do today that I'm sure people in 1912 never thought we would be able to do
How far have we really come since then though?  Airplanes and automobiles were already in production, energy was being used, modern physics and medicine had been/was being developed.  The framework for our scientific advancements were laid out for us in that era.

I find one thing common around the tech boom era is that people vastly overestimate what we will be capable of in the next few decades.  You can look back to movies created in the 1980s that portray our time (>2000) owning flying cars and hovering skateboards.  Viewing those movies now we think "how silly" yet we do the same thing when we talk about interstellar travel and weather/tectonic control within the next 100 years.

I guess time will only tell.
I'm always right.
Posted Image

#32 Slashgiggle

Slashgiggle
  • LocationHome of the Brave

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:32 AM

I want the hoverboard I was promised
Fernando Torres, Lord of Football

#33 Buglamp

Buglamp
  • Members

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:42 AM

I watched A.I. Artificial Intelligence like a couple days ago, forgot how good that movie is. One of my favorites.

#34 Sykeasaurus

Sykeasaurus
  • Moderators
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Shadow

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:37 AM

View Poststcolbert, on 29 November 2012 - 12:58 AM, said:

How far have we really come since then though?  Airplanes and automobiles were already in production, energy was being used, modern physics and medicine had been/was being developed.  The framework for our scientific advancements were laid out for us in that era.

I find one thing common around the tech boom era is that people vastly overestimate what we will be capable of in the next few decades.  You can look back to movies created in the 1980s that portray our time (>2000) owning flying cars and hovering skateboards.  Viewing those movies now we think "how silly" yet we do the same thing when we talk about interstellar travel and weather/tectonic control within the next 100 years.

I guess time will only tell.

I dunno, I think it's a bit silly to compare automobiles of 1912 to 2012 and downplay that achievement.  You have to consider the range of the car now, the fuel efficiency as examples.  All the small features within a car, like hands free calling as you're driving, the ability to have USB ports in cars now to hook up your smart phone to stream media from.  

The same goes for airplanes and the efficiency and range of those.  The fact we've successfully landed a rover on Mars.  The fact we actually put human beings on the moon.  We've traveled to outer space and can have people actively living in the ISS outside of our own planet.

Looking at it from a militaristic point of view, the way wars were fought and the weaponry used in World War I to what multiple nations are now capable of.

Lines of communication.  I can INSTANTLY connect with anyone anywhere in the world at anytime.  That's brilliant.  What used to take weeks to inform someone of now takes seconds.

From a cultural point of view, the advancement of civil rights.  Doing away with segregation laws, allowing gay marriage, etc.

The evolution of a phone for example is quite an improvement.  Old rotary phones to literally being able to access any content at any moment in the palm of your hand from your pocket is incredible.  

I think you're really underplaying it.

bk said:

I used to beat off alot, and fail all my classes

Insight said:

I figured he's a phony but I was secretly hoping to get pounded by someone famous.

View PostTw1zle, on 07 August 2011 - 11:05 PM, said:

i wasnt aware that america was a country

i guess we learn things every day

#35 Breadstick

Breadstick
  • Moderators
  • Humanclass_name
  • US-Arena Tournament 1
  • Coliseum 1
  • Talents: Affliction

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:38 AM

consider the fact that it took less than 100 years after the airplane was invented for us to put someone on the moon
Posted Image

#36 Breadstic

Breadstic
  • Meebz
  • Members
  • Night Elfclass_name
  • US-Malfurion
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Beast Mastery 2/0/1/1/0/0
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:02 AM

consider the fact i banged ur mom

#37 stcolbert

stcolbert
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Eredar
  • Vindication

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:23 AM

View PostSykeasaurus, on 29 November 2012 - 04:37 AM, said:

I dunno, I think it's a bit silly to compare automobiles of 1912 to 2012 and downplay that achievement.  You have to consider the range of the car now, the fuel efficiency as examples.  All the small features within a car, like hands free calling as you're driving, the ability to have USB ports in cars now to hook up your smart phone to stream media from.  

The same goes for airplanes and the efficiency and range of those.  The fact we've successfully landed a rover on Mars.  The fact we actually put human beings on the moon.  We've traveled to outer space and can have people actively living in the ISS outside of our own planet.

Looking at it from a militaristic point of view, the way wars were fought and the weaponry used in World War I to what multiple nations are now capable of.

Lines of communication.  I can INSTANTLY connect with anyone anywhere in the world at anytime.  That's brilliant.  What used to take weeks to inform someone of now takes seconds.

From a cultural point of view, the advancement of civil rights.  Doing away with segregation laws, allowing gay marriage, etc.

The evolution of a phone for example is quite an improvement.  Old rotary phones to literally being able to access any content at any moment in the palm of your hand from your pocket is incredible.  

I think you're really underplaying it.
My point is that they probably did dream of what we have now, considering it is just an improvement on what they had then.  Manipulating weather and tectonic activity is a completely different ballpark, fuck we don't even have a mechanism to predict it.

View PostBreadstick, on 29 November 2012 - 04:38 AM, said:

consider the fact that it took less than 100 years after the airplane was invented for us to put someone on the moon
And what have we done since then?  Moon landing was in 1969 if we continued this exponential advancement we should've had the whole thing terraformed by now.  Resource issue? Maybe.  I guess when we develop an infinite power source we will be able to find out.  I guess I'll check back into this thread in 100years, should be possible with all the advancements eh? lol
I'm always right.
Posted Image

#38 Sykeasaurus

Sykeasaurus
  • Moderators
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Shadow

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:41 AM

It's only a resource issue because NASA doesn't receive the funding for those kinds of projects that military R&D does.  If there was a 100% chance there was a resource to mine from Mars that would enhance the U.S. military over everyone else by a large magnitude, I'd be willing to bet anything NASA would receive more funding for their R&D.  As it stands now, NASA just really does shit for the sake of science and exploration but there's not a lot of applicable uses for traveling the solar system in the government's eyes.  Further more, NASA's hands are a bit tied over public opinion of them not being exactly extremely popular due to disasters like the Challenger (again coupled with, "What are we really gaining outside pursuit of science for the sake of science).

We're certainly more capable making further reaching technological advancements than we have but:  (1) Public hysteria/opinion can and will take precedence over scientific/technological achievements and (2) the funding isn't there from a government perspective.

A lot of cool and useful technologies or new breakthroughs in science typically come from the state of war and that's been true throughout mankind.  Perfect example is the development of the atom bomb.  The economy in the U.S. always seems to thrive when there's a war (an actual important war, see:  WWI & WWII for example).  Jobs are created for militaristic purposes driven by the need to increase production and manufacturing with a determination to beat an opposition.

bk said:

I used to beat off alot, and fail all my classes

Insight said:

I figured he's a phony but I was secretly hoping to get pounded by someone famous.

View PostTw1zle, on 07 August 2011 - 11:05 PM, said:

i wasnt aware that america was a country

i guess we learn things every day

#39 stcolbert

stcolbert
  • Members
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Eredar
  • Vindication

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:21 AM

I agree with your point about the lack of funding NASA gets.

I never said that we weren't capable of making more technological advancements but was rather being reasonable/conservative in my expectations.

A lot of cool technology does come out of wars but I'm not sure that was where the innovation of those projects come from.  Nuclear Fission for instance (the mechanism behind the atom bomb) was theorized and practiced prior to the war.  I also think that war now a days isn't the  economy booster it use to be, I'd argue the contrary.
I'm always right.
Posted Image

#40 treeqt

treeqt
  • Members

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:40 AM

View PostBreadstick, on 29 November 2012 - 04:38 AM, said:

consider the fact that it took less than 100 years after the airplane was invented for US to put someone on the moon
ftfy
[04:20:00] Dan: Just bang her
[20:05:48] ALEXIS JAGGER: I'd like to think
[20:05:51] ALEXIS JAGGER: I'm a modest person

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<