• Curse Sites
Help

It's been a few months... how is GW2 PVP?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 ardnut

ardnut
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents:
  • RBG: 1743

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:48 AM

Hi Guys,
Not played the game at all or watched videos.  I'm strictly into PVP in WOW...love arenas and RBG's aren't so bad once you get a good group.  Now that you have had some time with the game and all the hype is over....is the PVP better than WOW?
* RBG/PvP Guild * Stormscale EU * Recruitment Thread * Click Below *
Posted Image

#2 Lazarast

Lazarast
  • Members

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:52 AM

My opinion: the game is amazing and PvP gameplay is better. If you consider playing this game I would wait though, they still need to put ratings / mm.

PvP are 5v5 domination tourneys, they are fun but need mm.

c ya.

#3 ardnut

ardnut
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents:

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:46 AM

View PostLazarast, on 22 November 2012 - 09:52 AM, said:

My opinion: the game is amazing and PvP gameplay is better. If you consider playing this game I would wait though, they still need to put ratings / mm.

PvP are 5v5 domination tourneys, they are fun but need mm.

c ya.

OK...I'll check back in a couple of months time then.

Edit: thx for info
Posted Image

#4 Ctuhlu

Ctuhlu
  • Junkies
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Restoration

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:38 PM

I agree with the other guy. The gameplay is great and dodge is amazing. But the 5v5 domination/conquest game mode kind of blows and there's no ranking system. There's plenty of game to justify buying it and since there's no sub fee it's not like you are paying when you aren't playing it. But yeah, PVP still needs a bit of time.

Fourreur said:

we have to switch to them making the decision to pop reck or not to pop reck

#5 Namechangex

Namechangex
  • Members

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:39 AM

In the same boat as the OP.

Thinking of giving GW2 pvp a try. Any particular server recommendation   I might start from just leveling each class to know how things work.

Please use an appropriate signature; thanks! Use only common abbreviations and acronyms, and then give their definition as soon after their first use as possible. Occasionally, however, an abbreviation or acronym may be so familiar to intended audiences that it may be used without a definition. In fact, some may be more familiar than the full name. http://www.arenajunk...-rules-2272014/

#6 Vadren

Vadren
  • Junkies
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • US-Skullcrusher
  • Ruin
  • Talents:

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:45 AM

The gameplay holds up really well. Just on a mechanical level it's still really fun to play for me. I don't get frustrated or annoyed like I would in WoW. "Oh shit it's a rogue/dk/mage/whatever I may as well afk and die." Not that everything is perfectly balanced, but the imbalances aren't as frustrating or insurmountable as they are in WoW.

But as others have said some of the overlying pvp systems still need work or to be implemented.

Also one big thing (for me) is that I don't feel obligated to log in and play for raids or because of specific arena teams or whatever. It means I play less, but I only play when I want to and it stays fun and doesn't become a chore.
Vadren#1175

#7 Ctuhlu

Ctuhlu
  • Junkies
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:57 PM

View PostBigqtx, on 24 November 2012 - 05:39 AM, said:

In the same boat as the OP.

Thinking of giving GW2 pvp a try. Any particular server recommendation   I might start from just leveling each class to know how things work.

Servers don't really matter. Transfers are free but the PVP aspect of the game is region-wide (US and EU are the regions). The only decision you need to make is what continent you want to play on.

In terms of the gameplay itself it is good, there is just one thing that I wish it had more of: non-passive skills that do something to friendlies. As it stands -- and maybe I'm alone on this -- there isn't much micro-level teamwork in GW2 pvp. Positioning is not really a thing (since the conquest gametype encourages a static position), and there isn't really much you can do TO your teammates. Since you can't target friendlies, very few skills are directed at friendly players. The only one that I can think of off the top of my head is the Engineer's cone condition removal from #3 on the elixir gun. Aside from that most skills that do something to your teammates are just aoe buffs in a certain radius around you.

I wish that GW2 had more skills like Lifegrip, Intervene, Life Swap, Blessing of Protection, Blessing of Freedom, etc. Things that you can give to your teammates. Things that require decision-making in when or how to use a skill on your team, instead of mindlessly hitting that skill that just so happens to give friendlies near you a buff like might. It's a pretty minor complaint but it's one of the few things I miss from WoW.

Fourreur said:

#8 Namechangex

Namechangex
  • Members

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:00 AM

Great thanks Ctuhlu.
Please use an appropriate signature; thanks! Use only common abbreviations and acronyms, and then give their definition as soon after their first use as possible. Occasionally, however, an abbreviation or acronym may be so familiar to intended audiences that it may be used without a definition. In fact, some may be more familiar than the full name. http://www.arenajunk...-rules-2272014/

#9 ardnut

ardnut
  • Junkies
  • Orcclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents:

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

Hmmm if Ctuhlu is starting to criticise the game (and as far as I know you are the biggest fan of the game on these forums) then I think I'm going to give it a miss unless something big changes.
Posted Image

#10 Blowi

Blowi
  • Junkies
  • Curse Premium
  • Goblinclass_name
  • EU-Agamaggan
  • Blackout

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:55 AM

He is giving his opinion on the game, from a pretty objective PoV, and I haven't played a game yet where I haven't "missed something" or thought something should be different.

Same thing can be said about WoW, LoL, Dota 2 or any of these online games.

#11 Ctuhlu

Ctuhlu
  • Junkies
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:15 AM

View Postardnut, on 28 November 2012 - 02:31 PM, said:

Hmmm if Ctuhlu is starting to criticise the game (and as far as I know you are the biggest fan of the game on these forums) then I think I'm going to give it a miss unless something big changes.

It's a good game. If you're still a WoW player then at the very least you can use it as a 60$ dollar way to break a WoW addiction for good as it will expose so many things that are fucking retarded with WoW. I still browse AJ GD though. Why? Because WoW arena was fucking FUN. Part of me wishes that Blizzard would get their act together and restore that aspect of the game, but it doesn't look like that will ever happen. At the end of the day WoW arena was something I loved to do for at least 2 years straight -- it's extremely rare for one game to do this and the last time it happened to be was playing Halo 2 matchmaking right up until Halo 3 came out.

I will say this: GW2 pvp is not as fun as "the best seasons of WoW arena" (I'll let you decide which seasons are your personal favorites). The metagame isn't as interesting even though it is undeniably FAR more balanced that WoW ever was. GW2 is also remarkable for it's ability to eschew cookie cutter builds (for the most part), and there is a much larger unique-playstyle-factor that each person can have when it comes to their class, which I love.

It's just that the one PVP gametype of domination really bogs the game down, in my opinion. Conquest is fucking boring. It would be like having only Arathi Basin in WoW PVP, and absolutely nothing else. Sure it's fun for a bit -- but come on. It's 2012, not 2005, and you need to have more to the PVP in your game to capture the imagination of your players.

If GW2 had arenas, on the other hand...

Fourreur said:

#12 BaklivaX

BaklivaX
  • Members
  • LocationSerbia

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:00 AM

Wow arenas were only reason i kept playing wow when it started sucking :(
Posted Image

#13 Lazarast

Lazarast
  • Members

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:39 PM

I'm shure you are aware of combos, but in case not, you should look at them, they give interesting teamplay. Also, a very important aspect of the game is downed. Reviving your allies is when you have to take important decisions and sue some cds.

And, as you said in another post, if gw2 had arena... omg... :D

#14 Xandyn

Xandyn
  • Xandyn
  • Junkies
  • Undeadclass_name
  • EU-Stormscale
  • Cyclone / Wirbelsturm
  • Talents: Frost 0/2/1/2/2/.

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

worse than wow is currently and that makes it quite bad, just play DoTA 2, LoL or some random FPS

#15 BaklivaX

BaklivaX
  • Members
  • LocationSerbia

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

Dota <3
Posted Image

#16 Footler

Footler
  • Members

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:51 PM

Logged in the other day to see how the PvP was doing, looked like a ghost town.  Checked these forums.  Ya the game failed pretty hard regarding PvP.  It was supposed to be a PvP game and yet the only thing that was fun for a while was the leveling.

Ahhh I can still hear it in my head "TREBUCHETTTTTTT."  What a joke.

#17 fant0m8

fant0m8
  • Junkies
  • Blood Elfclass_name
  • US-Eredar
  • Vindication
  • Talents: Marksmanship

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:32 AM

PVP is dead because ArenaNet put all their dev time into PVE and holiday events.

It *still* lacks basic PVP features that were NEEDED on DAY 1. And they have said that new features won't be incoming for at least a few months.

At the rate they turn promises into reality, the PVP will probably be playable a year from launch. Seriously, they're slower than Blizzard, and I didn't think that was possible.

I'm very disappointed, and have completely stopped playing. There's simply no point in playing when they don't even have basic matchmaking, let alone observation/custom servers/ladders/multiple game modes.

And because of these deficiencies, the playerbase has shrunk to a fraction of what it was at launch (on the PVP side of things). Twitch viewership is below 200 at primetime, and there is literally only 1 paid tournament going on at a time across all of NA (and even then only at prime time hours).

ArenaNet didn't allocate enough resources to PVP (there's literally 2 people in the whole company dedicated to PVP) and launched an incomplete game. It's not worth playing until they add core features.
Bye again! This game isn't fun when you don't know anyone else that still plays.

#18 Ctuhlu

Ctuhlu
  • Junkies
  • Draeneiclass_name
  • US-Sargeras
  • Shadowburn

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:42 AM

View Postfant0m8, on 06 December 2012 - 02:32 AM, said:

PVP is dead because ArenaNet put all their dev time into PVE and holiday events.

It *still* lacks basic PVP features that were NEEDED on DAY 1. And they have said that new features won't be incoming for at least a few months.

At the rate they turn promises into reality, the PVP will probably be playable a year from launch. Seriously, they're slower than Blizzard, and I didn't think that was possible.

I'm very disappointed, and have completely stopped playing. There's simply no point in playing when they don't even have basic matchmaking, let alone observation/custom servers/ladders/multiple game modes.

And because of these deficiencies, the playerbase has shrunk to a fraction of what it was at launch (on the PVP side of things). Twitch viewership is below 200 at primetime, and there is literally only 1 paid tournament going on at a time across all of NA (and even then only at prime time hours).

ArenaNet didn't allocate enough resources to PVP (there's literally 2 people in the whole company dedicated to PVP) and launched an incomplete game. It's not worth playing until they add core features.

Unfortunately I have to agree. They created a game with fantastic PVP gameplay and then completely blew it by not supporting it with infrastructure. Really, really disappointing.

Fourreur said:

#19 WildeHilde

WildeHilde
  • Content Editors
  • Curse Premium
  • Gnomeclass_name
  • EU-Aegwynn
  • Blutdurst
  • Talents: Combat 1/1/2/1/1/0
  • RBG: 2215
  • LocationSouthern Germany

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:51 AM

I agree. The game has a huge potential from the gameplay and concept but there is simply no way to play it or make tournaments in a reliable way. Without a spectator client you would need 10 of 10 players streaming and being able to switch between their PoV in order to really cover matches. We had plans for tournaments ready and a team was building but we decided that the game was simply not ready, yet. It might become really good one or two years down the road, however. Question is if there are enough players around willing to give it another try. They probably have to pull out a PR stunt like Riot did with the million dollar prize pool in order to get it done when the game is ready.

ArenaNet made so many correct decisions regarding PvP. It's sad they didn't allocate enough ressources to it.

#20 GLopez

GLopez
  • Junkies
  • Goblinclass_name
  • US-Emerald Dream
  • Shadowburn
  • Talents: Unholy 0/1/2/2/0/2

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:35 AM

The PvP patch is in February. It will have ladders, custom arenas, and monthly tournaments. After that, ArenaNet will start focusing on new game modes.

Personally, I'm staying out of structured PvP until that patch. World vs. world and PvE are fun enough until then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<