So I need to buy a laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Buglamp

Buglamp
  • Members

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:26 PM

Probably going to want to play some games on it but nothing intense - maybe nerdy old school turn based RPGs and the like. More is always better though. Will also watch movies, browse forums, listen to music, etc. as well.

Basically want good value per $ since I already have a gaming comp.

I know absolutely fucking nothing about laptops unfortunately.

#2 Pharaun

Pharaun
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:25 PM

Budget?  If you're just looking to get something to play basic shit, you might as well just get something cheap with the undoubtedly upcoming deals over black friday / cyber monday.
"Who, after all, is today speaking of the destruction of the Armenians?"

-Adolf Hitler, 1939

#3 chaplain

chaplain
  • Members

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:55 PM

something with 4gb RAM and i3 CPU with integrated graphics should be fine for general use and very light gaming, maybe look at a model with a GTX 650/660 if you need some more GPU power

I prefer SSD storage if you have to use the integrated storage on a laptop

and give us a budget

#4 Buglamp

Buglamp
  • Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:44 AM

View PostPharaun, on 20 November 2012 - 10:25 PM, said:

Budget?  If you're just looking to get something to play basic shit, you might as well just get something cheap with the undoubtedly upcoming deals over black friday / cyber monday.
I'm hoping to spend less than 1k USD.

Didn't think of black friday /cyber monday though, I suppose I should watch newegg.

#5 Pharaun

Pharaun
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:30 AM

Woah woah woah, $1k?  I was thinking $300.  For what you listed, you don't need a computer with a dedicated GPU.  Just get anything with a 2nd or 3rd gen i3 or i5 (doesn't matter which), and has enough reviews indicating that it isn't so shitty it will fall apart on you.  Acer, Asus, Lenovo, hell even Dell, HP, Sony are all viable options here.  My g/f got some lenovo g4/570 (??) for like $350 with tax (on sale), as a rough benchmark.

If you're dead set on playing dungeoncrawl or nethack, a tablet won't work, but if you can be distracted with angry birds you could consider a tablet as well (same price point as the cheaper laptops).

-Adolf Hitler, 1939

#6 Pharaun

Pharaun
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:31 AM

So... actually you can play dungeoncrawl and nethack on android.  Guess I'm not particularly surprised on that point.  Consider a tablet, ask someone who actually owns one.

-Adolf Hitler, 1939

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

<